This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate
  1. Scott Adams

Scott Adams

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Janiesamuels
    Newest Member
    Janiesamuels
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nikki2777
      Ok, I'm going to start to answer my own question - it looks like to get meals that are free of these ingredients, you need to go to backpackers/hikers freeze dried food. Which is a lot more expensive and has a shorter shelf life (the longest I've found so far is 5 years). But I could see getting my own tight seal bucket and storing up a supply of these if I can't find anything cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with these if not the true 'survivalist' food?
    • Nikki2777
      My go to dried pastas are Ancient Harvest, Le Veneziane and Bionature. All good, but probably Ancient Harvest is my favorite. Holds its shape and doesn't get mushy, has a little flavor. 
    • Nikki2777
      I get EOS. They have lots of varieties and all gluten free.
    • Nikki2777
      The recent hurricanes in the Southeast and other natural and man-made disasters have got me thinking. Food pantries and charities that try to provide food for people affected by these disasters can't possibly be relied on to get us safe things to eat. So what do we do? I went online and started looking at the ingredients in those survivalist type emergency long shelf life freeze dried meals. Nearly every company has a gluten free option, which is great, but when you look closely at the ingredients most have maltodextrin and/or yeast extract and/or natural flavors. No sources noted. Now with normal grocery shopping if I see one of these ingredients but also see "gluten free" I feel safe, but I wonder how much oversight these products get and if the manufacturers really know that these ingredients can or cannot be gluten free, depending on source.  Does anyone know anything about these, or have a safe company to try? While something that tasted good would be a bonus, it's really secondary to getting the nutrition and calories we would need in an emergency. Has anyone bought these?
    • MopsyMoll
      Would you mind sharing the brand of Niacin you use? I’m trying to do my research but I was just diagnosed and making sure it’s gluten free and the correct formulation has me about in tears.