This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Its been two months since my brother went Gluten free

EdmBkn

EdmBkn Rookie

Hope you all are doing well. I am here again for my younger brother. Its been two month since he diagnosed with Celiac and went gluten free. At the time of diagnosis, his weight was 22kg, and now his weight is 28kg. But his height is same as was 2 month earlier. Also he used to have pain in lower right side of abdomen. Now pain come and go periodically. I want to know is he improving? His pain will go with time? His doc said only gluten free diet is solution and he doesn't need any medication. Please suggest 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Thanks for the follow up, and the most critical thing with his recovery is that his diet stay 100% gluten-free. As you've probably learned, this is harder than it seems, and there are many sources of hidden gluten, including in medications, cross-contamination (especially in restaurants), etc.

That said, recovery can take 1-2 years depending on how much damage there was, and how well he sticks to the GFD. Given that he's already gained 6kg in only 2 months, it seems like he's on the right track. 

EdmBkn Rookie
23 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Thanks for the follow up, and the most critical thing with his recovery is that his diet stay 100% gluten-free. As you've probably learned, this is harder than it seems, and there are many sources of hidden gluten, including in medications, cross-contamination (especially in restaurants), etc.

That said, recovery can take 1-2 years depending on how much damage there was, and how well he sticks to the GFD. Given that he's already gained 6kg in only 2 months, it seems like he's on the right track. 

Thank you so much! i am thinking to remove lactose from his diet now. Anyway to confirm that he needs lactose-free diet as well?

Again, thank you so much for your reply! 

RosaM Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac 4 months ago, it's really hard to be 100% gluten-free right away but I think by now it's happening for me. At the beginning I was still having some pain, bloating and stomach issues even though I wasn't eating gluten si Iasked my doctor about dairy and he told me sometimes Celiac goes together with Lactose intolerance so I stop having dairy and felt better. I also got the Lactose pills that I take any time that I will have something that has dairy in it. This is usually when I go out to eat or really want a milkshake 🙂. Just keep the work and hope this helps. 

trents Grand Master

Rosa, you could have lactose intolerance but for many celiacs the issue isn't lactose (the sugar component in milk) but the protein component called casein. 

Scott Adams Grand Master
On 9/9/2021 at 1:08 PM, EdmBkn said:

Thank you so much! i am thinking to remove lactose from his diet now. Anyway to confirm that he needs lactose-free diet as well?

Again, thank you so much for your reply! 

It may not be necessary, but for many with celiac disease, especially this soon after his diagnosis, it may help relieve any ongoing symptoms that he has. I had to cut all dairy out at the time of my diagnosis, along with a few other things, for at least a year before my gut healed enough to be able to process them again. I was able to add them back to my diet. Not every celiac needs to do this, and it likely depends a lot on the amount of gut damage that he has, and how long it will take to heal.

RosaM Newbie
5 hours ago, trents said:

Rosa, you could have lactose intolerance but for many celiacs the issue isn't lactose (the sugar component in milk) but the protein component called casein. 

Is there a way to know if I'm lactose intolerance? I started taking the lactose pills and don't have problems when I have some dairy. Maybe like you said i have problems with lactose and casein. Now that is going to be in my list to check when i go grocery shopping. Very good to know, Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

There is a test for lactose intolerance, and you can read about it here:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lactose-intolerance/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20374238 

RosaM Newbie

I will ask my doctor for one of these. thanks for the info.