This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Terrible Neurological Symptoms

HectorConvector

Jackie Garrett Collaborator
On 3/25/2022 at 9:02 PM, knitty kitty said:

Jackie,

Dairy does not make our bodies acidic.  Dairy can cause continuing inflammation because dairy can trigger the same reaction in our intestines as gluten.  Mast cells are part of the immune system.  Mast Cell Activation Syndrome is when mast cells easily release histamine.  High histamine levels make us feel ill.  Avoiding high histamine foods and following a low histamine diet helps reduce inflammation.  

Here's some elucidating reading...

Milk and acid-base balance: proposed hypothesis versus scientific evidence

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22081694/

Mucosal reactivity to cow's milk protein in coeliac disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1810502/

Thiamine deficiency as a cause of metabolic acidosis

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15077560/

"One of the unusual complications, a high anion gap metabolic acidosis refractory to bicarbonate therapy, occurred in one of our patients who was receiving TPN without adequate thiamine supplementation. The casual relationship between thiamine deficiency and metabolic acidosis has been well described in the literature, but remains under-recognized by many physicians."

Hope this helps! 

Knowledge is power!

"Milk and dairy products neither produce acid upon metabolism nor cause metabolic acidosis, and systemic pH is not influenced by diet."

Knitty kitty

I absolutely 100% disagree with the above statement, I know this was the cause of my body becoming acidic and all my health problems,  much more research needs to be done on this. Could the histamine from the milk, cause  the body to secrete more acids ???  It’s a shame we can’t see inside our bodies to see what’s going on.  More research is needed in this area.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HectorConvector

• Jackie Garrett

• Wheatwacked

• knitty kitty

Top Posters In This Topic

• HectorConvector

HectorConvector 101 posts

• Jackie Garrett

Jackie Garrett 67 posts

• Wheatwacked

Wheatwacked 35 posts

• knitty kitty

knitty kitty 30 posts

Posted Images

knitty kitty Grand Master
1 hour ago, Jackie Garrett said:

"Milk and dairy products neither produce acid upon metabolism nor cause metabolic acidosis, and systemic pH is not influenced by diet."

Knitty kitty

I absolutely 100% disagree with the above statement, I know this was the cause of my body becoming acidic and all my health problems,  much more research needs to be done on this. Could the histamine from the milk, cause  the body to secrete more acids ???  It’s a shame we can’t see inside our bodies to see what’s going on.  More research is needed in this area.

Jackie,

That quote IS from research being done in this area.  It's from this scientific study.  Click on the link to read the full article.

Histamine is made as a result of fermentation so consuming  fermented foods can raise histamine levels and bacteria in our gut can produce histamine as lactose and other sugars are fermented in our gut, but also our bodies can make histamine as a part of the immune system response in autoimmune diseases and allergic responses.  

Consuming a low histamine diet and avoiding foods that launch an allergic response and autoimmune response is important.

B12 (Cobalamine), B9 (folate), B6 (pyridoxine) and riboflavin (B2) all help reduce histamine levels.  Thiamine reduces histamine levels by helping mast cells stabilize so they don't release histamine at the slightest provocation.  

Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  Not being able to absorb sufficient amounts these vitamins can leave us with high histamine levels.  

Supplementing with a good B Complex will ensure you are getting enough of these vitamins to clear high histamine levels.  

13 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Jackie,

That quote IS from research being done in this area.  It's from this scientific study.  Click on the link to read the full article.

Histamine is made as a result of fermentation so consuming  fermented foods can raise histamine levels and bacteria in our gut can produce histamine as lactose and other sugars are fermented in our gut, but also our bodies can make histamine as a part of the immune system response in autoimmune diseases and allergic responses.  

Consuming a low histamine diet and avoiding foods that launch an allergic response and autoimmune response is important.

B12 (Cobalamine), B9 (folate), B6 (pyridoxine) and riboflavin (B2) all help reduce histamine levels.  Thiamine reduces histamine levels by helping mast cells stabilize so they don't release histamine at the slightest provocation.  

Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  Not being able to absorb sufficient amounts these vitamins can leave us with high histamine levels.  

Supplementing with a good B Complex will ensure you are getting enough of these vitamins to clear high histamine levels.  

14 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Jackie,

14 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Jackie,

I still have to disagree with  the caption about I quoted about, I know that in lactose intolerant it can be very acidifying to the body, leading to metabolic acidosis in some cases. Animal proteins make us more acidic. Maybe tests ought to be carried out on Lactose intolerant people or people with milk allergies.

I thought this was an interesting read 

Protein Intolerance

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562306/

trents Grand Master

"Autoimmune reaction: Autoimmune reaction to gluten proteins is found in celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, wheat allergy, gluten ataxia, and dermatitis herpetiformis."

I found this statement from the article you pasted, Jackie to answer one question I have had about NCGS. Now I know it, like celiac disease, is an autoimmune condition. But what is odd with NCGS is that it doesn't damage the villi. Where is the autoimmune attack happening then?

Jackie, why did you copy and paste the whole text of the article? Why not just paste the link?

4 minutes ago, trents said:

"Autoimmune reaction: Autoimmune reaction to gluten proteins is found in celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, wheat allergy, gluten ataxia, and dermatitis herpetiformis."

I found this statement from the article you pasted, Jackie to answer one question I have had about NCGS. Now I know it, like celiac disease, is an autoimmune condition. But what is odd with NCGS is that it doesn't damage the villi. Where is the autoimmune attack happening then?

Jackie, why did you copy and paste the whole text of the article? Why not just paste the link?

Because I am not sure how to Trent’s it would be a lot quicker.

7 minutes ago, Jackie Garrett said:

I don’t know Trent’s, could it be in the blood ? I believe that the food and drinks we consume with high acids and man made acids also eating too much protein which is acid forming in our bodies, makes our blood acidic affecting our immunity, I really know milk did this to me, thinking back I had so many symptoms it really must of hampered my immune system. I do eat meat but I am going to cut back on that too, I think as we get older as well we can’t eat the same amounts as we used to when we were younger. Too much acid in our system is not good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
49 minutes ago, Jackie Garrett said:

The same way you did the whole text. Highlight the URL, which is the internet address of the article towards the top of your browser, then copy and paste it into the forum post window.

URL.webp

Edited by trents
Wheatwacked Veteran
43 minutes ago, Jackie Garrett said:

Cow’s milk allergy (CMA), a response to proteins in the cow’s milk

Old fashioned cow's milk (ie pasture fed cows) has 147 times as much omega 3 as commercial milk. We have less inflammation when the omega 6:3 ratio is >1:2. The standard American diet is around 14:1. No wonder we're inflamed, and omega 3 oil supplements help.

Beyond its critical function in calcium homeostasis, vitamin D has recently been found to play an important role in the modulation of the immune/inflammation system

Unfortunately, about 42% of the US population is vitamin D deficient with some populations having even higher levels of deficiency, including...those who take prescription medication long term for heartburn, acid reflux, and constipation. . In addition, certain chronic conditions—such as celiac disease, bariatric surgery, obesity, and chronic kidney or liver disease—can contribute to deficiency.   https://www.cantonmercy.org/healthchat/42-percent-of-americans-are-vitamin-d-deficient/

49 minutes ago, trents said:

The same way you did the whole text. Highlight the URL, which is the internet address of the article towards the top of your browser, then copy and paste it into the forum post window.

URL.webp

Thank you 

53 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

Old fashioned cow's milk (ie pasture fed cows) has 147 times as much omega 3 as commercial milk. We have less inflammation when the omega 6:3 ratio is >1:2. The standard American diet is around 14:1. No wonder we're inflamed, and omega 3 oil supplements help.

Beyond its critical function in calcium homeostasis, vitamin D has recently been found to play an important role in the modulation of the immune/inflammation system

I take vitamin D drops, I prefer to get my Vitamin D from the sun, but we don’t get too much of that in the Winter months so I have started to supplement vit D this year. I am sure we can get vit D even if it’s not sunny though,  just by normal daylight. Thank you for info Wheatwacked.

Scott Adams Grand Master
17 hours ago, trents said:

Celiac expert doctors such as Dr. Kenneth Fine, Dr. Rodney Ford, etc., have consistently supported the idea that NCGS is simply the bigger problem, while celiac disease is the smaller one (only 1% get the gut damage). As Dr. Ford has claimed for well over a decade now, NCGS can attack the gut, skin or brain/nervous system, and with NCGS it is still likely doing this, even in those who do not have flattened villi.

trents Grand Master

Good information, Scott. Thank you.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Here is an older article, but still relevant. It's an excerpt from his book "The Gluten Syndrome."

trents Grand Master

Makes me start to wonder when we see all these different food intolerance issues crop up in those with gluten sensitivity if gluten is really the hub or one of the spokes of the wheel in some yet unknown and bigger driver.

Edited by trents
Scott Adams Grand Master

I agree, and the article points out that one patient of his had very high tTG levels, but no genetic markers (at that time anyway, but many new makers have been discovered in the years since it was written), and their symptoms improved dramatically on a gluten-free diet. 

11 hours ago, trents said:

Makes me start to wonder when we see all these different food intolerance issues crop up in those with gluten sensitivity if gluten is really the hub or one of the spokes of the wheel in some yet unknown and bigger driver.

Just a question, Seeing as a lot of people are getting problems with Gluten and Dairy, and they both have Protein in, are we protein intolerant to these particular foods, are these particular  proteins in these foods Histamine Liberators, causing some of our bodies to become acidic, hence health problems ????

42 minutes ago, Jackie Garrett said:

Just a question, Seeing as a lot of people are getting problems with Gluten and Dairy, and they both have Protein in, are we protein intolerant to these particular foods, are these particular  proteins in these foods Histamine Liberators, causing some of our bodies to become acidic, hence health problems ????

And possibly the cause of some neurological symptoms.

Scott Adams Grand Master
8 hours ago, Jackie Garrett said:

There seems to be a mix of info about the "alkaline diet," which is what I believe you are referring to here. Some sites have debunked it outright:

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/features/Pages/2019-05-06-pHear-pHactor-debunking-the-alkaline-diet.aspx 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/the-alkaline-diet-myth#what-it-is

and I did find an old scientific publication in J Environ Public Health that may support it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/

Wheatwacked Veteran

My takeaway of this study is that it is not so much the alkalinity itself of the diet, but the increased minerals found in those foods.

The Alkaline Diet: Is There Evidence That an Alkaline pH Diet Benefits Health?

The ratio of potassium to sodium has reversed, K/Na previously was 10 to 1 whereas the modern diet has a ratio of 1 to 3 ...As well, dietary potassium which is lacking in the modern diet would modulate pressor and hypercalciuric effects of excess of sodium chloride...There is some evidence that the K/Na ratio does matter

However, adequate vitamin D with a 25(OH)D level of >80 nmol/L may allow for appropriate intestinal absorption of calcium and magnesium and phosphate when needed 

Headcloud Newbie

The majority of my symptoms from gluten are neurological. That’s probably why it took so long for my doctors and I to figure out that I have either celiac disease or non-celiac gluten intolerance. There’s no way to conclusively test for it now, because my doctors all agree they doing so I would risk my health too much. I tried going back on gluten to have the blood test and after one day, I was so sick with a horrible migraine, gluten ataxia, peripheral edema, neuropathy, IBS, and horrible joint pain. 

Have you seen a neurologist and been tested for MS, fibromyalgia, and/or Parkinson’s? You might need a full neurological woke up because a lot of auto immune and neurological/neuroinflammatory diseases are linked with gluten intolerance

HectorConvector Enthusiast
4 hours ago, Headcloud said:

The majority of my symptoms from gluten are neurological. That’s probably why it took so long for my doctors and I to figure out that I have either celiac disease or non-celiac gluten intolerance. There’s no way to conclusively test for it now, because my doctors all agree they doing so I would risk my health too much. I tried going back on gluten to have the blood test and after one day, I was so sick with a horrible migraine, gluten ataxia, peripheral edema, neuropathy, IBS, and horrible joint pain. 

Have you seen a neurologist and been tested for MS, fibromyalgia, and/or Parkinson’s? You might need a full neurological woke up because a lot of auto immune and neurological/neuroinflammatory diseases are linked with gluten intolerance

I had an MRI scan last year which didn't show any signs of MS. I'm currently seeing a neurologist who is lining up another MRI scan including the spine as well as head.

16 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

There seems to be a mix of info about the "alkaline diet," which is what I believe you are referring to here. Some sites have debunked it outright:

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/features/Pages/2019-05-06-pHear-pHactor-debunking-the-alkaline-diet.aspx 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/the-alkaline-diet-myth#what-it-is

and I did find an old scientific publication in J Environ Public Health that may support it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/

I am now a big believer in keeping my diet more Alkaline for my own well being, I do eat meat, but I have smaller portions now and make sure it’s lean, I sadly don’t have Dairy anymore as this is a real trigger, I will get reactions from fermented things, things like Alcohol especially Wine, Vinegars, Tea was really bad, I can’t have Caffeine, basically things that are acidic Man made, what is it telling some of us, I believe when the delicate lining of our stomach gets eroded away by our continual acid consumption it then leaks into our bodies/ blood and that’s where are symptoms can begin, I also believe in some of us it can start in the womb from what maybe our Mother has ingested carrying some of us, so we could have had higher acids in us from in the womb, I had gastroenteritis as a baby, and formula fed, so my body has never had the chance to detox from all the acid forming foods, and making me vitamin deficient in some way, hence all my life long symptoms which lead to a Scad heart attack, when I stumbled across that it was the Dairy I was intolerant to after having pain and inflammation so bad because I was drinking more of it and that’s when I made the connection, I removed it from my diet and gradually  all my life long symptoms started to go. I wish it wasn’t milk, but it was in my case, it’s lovely to find the answer and be well, I can not have anything it seems with starter cultures in that have come from the milk ie the bacteria, Lactose, protein  I think this was the start of my body becoming acidic, in my opinion, our bodies are not designed for all the accumulating acid, it could be the histamine reaction from these foods/ drinks causing an acidic body,  I believe changes our blood in some cases, Lactose is used in a lot of Medication and I was very bad on my meds, but at that time I never connected my Dairy intolerance, it would be lovely if meds didn’t have it in. So basically I am a firm believer in the Alkaline diet and yes Wheatwacked it’s because these Alkaline foods have all the goodness in that our bodies need, I still have higher acidic fruits in moderation as I believe  we have to be sensible about these things, they are natural,  but as for man made acids, caffeine, preservatives they are not meant for our bodies so best limited. I would love to see our foods/ drinks preserved more naturally if it possible for all our healths.

Hector I hope you find your answer.

Thank you Scott for information.

Earlene Xavier Rookie

Hector, I hope you are feeling better. Have you considered the carnivore diet? It is the ultimate elimination diet. I am on it permanently, am slim and healthy and feel really good. You need to give it a minimum of a month no cheating, and see how you feel. No need to count anything, just eat until you are not hungry, it's extremely nutrient dense and satiating. The key is eating enough healthy fat. Our bodies, especially our brains crave fat! If you like fish eat the fatty varieties like salmon and sardines, cheese, eggs and the fattiest cuts of meat you can find, beef is my favorite!

I recommend you check out Revero, a carnivore website run by Shawn Baker an orthopedic surgeon. Read some of the success stories, it will absolutely blow your mind how people have reversed so many long standing chronic diseases, just amazing! What have you got to lose?

Best wishes and good luck!

HectorConvector Enthusiast
5 hours ago, Earlene Xavier said:

Hector, I hope you are feeling better. Have you considered the carnivore diet? It is the ultimate elimination diet. I am on it permanently, am slim and healthy and feel really good. You need to give it a minimum of a month no cheating, and see how you feel. No need to count anything, just eat until you are not hungry, it's extremely nutrient dense and satiating. The key is eating enough healthy fat. Our bodies, especially our brains crave fat! If you like fish eat the fatty varieties like salmon and sardines, cheese, eggs and the fattiest cuts of meat you can find, beef is my favorite!

I recommend you check out Revero, a carnivore website run by Shawn Baker an orthopedic surgeon. Read some of the success stories, it will absolutely blow your mind how people have reversed so many long standing chronic diseases, just amazing! What have you got to lose?

Best wishes and good luck!

I've heard of it, and I have thought about it before because a lot of my diet consists of meat/fish and cheese at the moment as they are less triggering for my symptoms. Maybe that's a clue already. Unlike most people I generally have to count calories to try and gain weight! I'm very thin though I'm getting 2400 calories a day, but at 6'4" my waist is only 26.5 inches measured earlier today. I guess I can slowly increase calories to correct that though if possible.