This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Protein Powders

Foggyat52

Foggyat52 Rookie

Hi, just diagnosed with Celiac disease last month at 52 years of age.  Needless to say, the process of going gluten-free after half a century of stuffing my face with pasta, bread, and cookies is painful.  I do love eating whole foods and discovering new protein, soluble fiber, and healthy fat sources, but I miss my go-to carbs.  My question today is, as a bodybuilder, I try to maximize the amount of protein I take in every day, but have always relied on protein powders/shakes to supplement it.  Since I went gluten-free five weeks ago, I have discovered many brands who claim to be gluten free but are now causing me stomach discomfort.  Has anyone found a protein powder that they can tolerate?  I realize that individual results will vary depending upon how much damage was caused over the years by gluten intake, but I'm just trying to see if there is a majority choice.  I simply can't take in the 175 grams of protein I need in my diet by consuming that much steak, chicken, and veggie protein, haha.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein sold by Costco without any issues. But I only use about 1 scoop per day. On the package it states gluten free in larger letters.

Foggyat52 Rookie
4 minutes ago, trents said:

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein sold by Costco without any issues. But I only use about 1 scoop per day. On the package it states gluten free in larger letters.

Thanks Brother!  I'll give that one a try.  Also, you may be onto something about the serving size.  I'll slowly work up from 1 scoop.  I appreciate it.

trents Grand Master

Well, I only mention the amount I use because it would probably be much less than you would use as I'm aiming for 100 g of total protein per day. For celiacs/NCGS folks the total amount of gluten ingested per day is what really counts. The 20ppm "gluten free" standard was established by the FDA to ensure that over the course of a day celiacs and NCGS folks don't consume more than 10mg of gluten when eating normal portions. Though for some very sensitive individuals, even that is too much. So, it certainly would be possible to exceed the 10mg of gluten by eating large amounts of "gluten free" foods that met the criteria of 20ppm or less. Does that make sense?

Foggyat52 Rookie
26 minutes ago, trents said:

Well, I only mention the amount I use because it would probably be much less than you would use as I'm aiming for 100 g of total protein per day. For celiacs/NCGS folks the total amount of gluten ingested per day is what really counts. The 20ppm "gluten free" standard was established by the FDA to ensure that over the course of a day celiacs and NCGS folks don't consume more than 10mg of gluten when eating normal portions. Though for some very sensitive individuals, even that is too much. So, it certainly would be possible to exceed the 10mg of gluten by eating large amounts of "gluten free" foods that met the criteria of 20ppm or less. Does that make sense?

Absolutely!!  I only mentioned the slow addition because since I was so recently diagnosed, I am just being extremely cautious, haha.  I've discovered that I can digest dairy again after going gluten-free, as long as I do it in moderation.  This whole thing is almost more than I can handle, even though I have a supportive wife who is doing her level best to help prepare meals that won't kill me!!  Thanks again for your help!

trents Grand Master

If you are taking vitamins and supplements, make sure they are gluten free as well. Costco is a great resource for getting quality, gluten-free vitamin and mineral supplements in general. Much of what they sell is gluten free.

Foggyat52 Rookie
1 hour ago, trents said:

If you are taking vitamins and supplements, make sure they are gluten free as well. Costco is a great resource for getting quality, gluten-free vitamin and mineral supplements in general. Much of what they sell is gluten free.

Yeah....... I found that out the hard way.  I thought I had gotten rid of all gluten in my diet but my symptoms were still there.  My wife read that some vitamins are packaged in gluten capsules so I was contaminating myself with my Vitamins D and K every morning!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
1 hour ago, Foggyat52 said:

Yeah....... I found that out the hard way.  I thought I had gotten rid of all gluten in my diet but my symptoms were still there.  My wife read that some vitamins are packaged in gluten capsules so I was contaminating myself with my Vitamins D and K every morning!!!!

Wheat starch can also be used as a filler in pills. Gluten shows up in the darndest places. Places you would never expect like soy sauce, canned soups, spices and even some chocolate syrup products. Eating gluten free has a real educational curve to it. Wheat flour is a cheap filler, thickener and texturing agent.

Edited by trents
Scott Adams Grand Master

I also just want to mention that you may also have some additional food intolerance issues, and some can be caused by the condition of your gut. Dairy/casein intolerance is a very common one. However, once your gut heals (for me that took 1-2 years, but could have been faster had I had more knowledge about hidden gluten...this was the mid-90's), some or all of those additional food intolerance issues may go away. I had about 5-6 things that caused me issues, but after I healed I can now have nearly all of them without issues.

Foggyat52 Rookie
2 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I also just want to mention that you may also have some additional food intolerance issues, and some can be caused by the condition of your gut. Dairy/casein intolerance is a very common one. However, once your gut heals (for me that took 1-2 years, but could have been faster had I had more knowledge about hidden gluten...this was the mid-90's), some or all of those additional food intolerance issues may go away. I had about 5-6 things that caused me issues, but after I healed I can now have nearly all of them without issues.

Wow, thanks!!  Now, if I can get rid of this feeling of having a vise around my head every time I get cross-contamination and 3-4 days of brain fog I'll be okay!!  Haha.

No more doughnuts Rookie
1 hour ago, Foggyat52 said:

Wow, thanks!!  Now, if I can get rid of this feeling of having a vise around my head every time I get cross-contamination and 3-4 days of brain fog I'll be okay!!  Haha.

You might try staying away from anything with lectins.  Gluten is just "one type" of lectin.  Go and check out Dr. Steven Gundry's "Yes and No list"...I followed this diet (lectin free) and man, what a difference.

GF-Cate Enthusiast
7 hours ago, Foggyat52 said:

For D & K, Carlson's D/K drops are gluten-free.

Many Garden of Life protein powders are certified gluten-free. 

Wheatwacked Veteran
12 hours ago, Foggyat52 said:

I can digest dairy again after going gluten-free, as long as I do it in moderation. 

Try switching to 100% Pasture fed, grain free milk.  It has more omega 3, like the old days, which reduces inflamation whereas what we now consider regular milk has more omega 6 (inflamation) due to the feed additives used to increase volume and milkfat content. I can drink up to 24 ounces regular milk but sometimes it bothers me. Pasture fed I can drink unlimited. Plus it tastes better.   https://milkgenomics.org/article/getting-omega-3-fatty-acids-milk/

Foggyat52 Rookie
8 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Try switching to 100% Pasture fed, grain free milk.  It has more omega 3, like the old days, which reduces inflamation whereas what we now consider regular milk has more omega 6 (inflamation) due to the feed additives used to increase volume and milkfat content. I can drink up to 24 ounces regular milk but sometimes it bothers me. Pasture fed I can drink unlimited. Plus it tastes better.   https://milkgenomics.org/article/getting-omega-3-fatty-acids-milk/

Hey, thanks a lot!!  It's cool that you brought up pasture fed milk.  I was just watching a youtube video on how to cure brain fog and the speaker mentioned that regular dairy products are a huge cause of brain fog, but pasture fed milk doesn't affect memory or cognition.

14 hours ago, No more doughnuts said:

You might try staying away from anything with lectins.  Gluten is just "one type" of lectin.  Go and check out Dr. Steven Gundry's "Yes and No list"...I followed this diet (lectin free) and man, what a difference.

Will do!!  Thanks for the tip!

CSpringsCPT Newbie
On 12/2/2021 at 5:54 AM, Foggyat52 said:

Hey, thanks a lot!!  It's cool that you brought up pasture fed milk.  I was just watching a youtube video on how to cure brain fog and the speaker mentioned that regular dairy products are a huge cause of brain fog, but pasture fed milk doesn't affect memory or cognition.

Will do!!  Thanks for the tip!

I've used Vega Sport, Garden of Life Sport (whey), and Plant Fusion successfully.  My body prefers the plant-based protein but I'll throw in a whey shake periodically.