This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So tired of being scared.Please help:((

Sabaarya

Sabaarya Community Regular

It’s been a months since I’m back to US and I got  worse. I was much better in London and felt improvement. Since we back My bowel movement changed from once a day to 3 times a day. It’s either loose or solid depends on what I eat. I feel like all veggies make my stool fluffy and loose. I’m scared of eating. My blood work after 3 months on diet came back much better. Anemia panel got better,vitamin D got better . I do feel like not emptying my bowel completely. I asked my doctor he said it probably related to diet change. My stool was actually better before gluten-free diet. The worst thing is that I can’t sleep at nights,my brain is not relaxing. I’m just panicking and scared all the time. Anyone here with marsh 3 a score damage and did you have ups and downs until you get completely healed or it was right away after gluten-free diet. I just want to be ok again, I want my brain and my body relax and I just want to stop crying for no reason:((

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sabaarya

• Diamonds

• knitty kitty

• Scott Adams

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sabaarya

Sabaarya 15 posts

• Diamonds

Diamonds 8 posts

• knitty kitty

knitty kitty 6 posts

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 5 posts

Posted Images

Scott Adams Grand Master

You likely know this already, but be sure your diet is 100% gluten-free, and this often means avoid eating out, as that is the most likely source of contamination.

If you're sure that your diet, makeup, medications, cosmetics, etc., are gluten-free, it's also possible you have some additional food intolerance issues, some of which might just be temporary and caused by your current gut damage. Common intolerances are cow's milk/casein, corn, soy, eggs, etc. Try keeping a food diary to see if you notice a connection. If you find a food that might be triggering it, cut it out of your diet for a few months, and write down any changes after you ad it back. 

This article may be helpful:

Too much stress will not be good for your recovery, so try to relax with the knowledge that your gut should be healing, but it can take months. I had March III lesions when I was diagnosed, and it took me around 2 years to recover. Afterwards I was able to add back several foods that bothered me due to gut damage.

38 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

You likely know this already, but be sure your diet is 100% gluten-free, and this often means avoid eating out, as that is the most likely source of contamination.

If you're sure that your diet, makeup, medications, cosmetics, etc., are gluten-free, it's also possible you have some additional food intolerance issues, some of which might just be temporary and caused by your current gut damage. Common intolerances are cow's milk/casein, corn, soy, eggs, etc. Try keeping a food diary to see if you notice a connection. If you find a food that might be triggering it, cut it out of your diet for a few months, and write down any changes after you ad it back. 

This article may be helpful:

Too much stress will not be good for your recovery, so try to relax with the knowledge that your gut should be healing, but it can take months. I had March III lesions when I was diagnosed, and it took me around 2 years to recover. Afterwards I was able to add back several foods that bothered me due to gut damage.

Thank you. I don’t eat outside at all.I talked to my doctor and he wants me to start my antidepressants as soon as possible. He says that my frequent bowel movements is stress related IBS and also diet change. He said that my damage was so mild that it can’t cause diarrhea. I don’t have diarrhea though,it’s either loose or solid. Also he wants me to stop eating veggies and fruits for now. He said the fact that my blood work improved in such a short period of time shows that my gut is healing. I told him that I took iron supplement for 1 month once a day though. He said with severe damage it won’t absorb it so fast. I started low fodmap diet and it’s better now. Will have repeat SIBO test this Friday but doctor wants me to start xifaxan either way but will do the test first. When I asked him about hidden gluten in SSR he said that right now the amount of stress and anxiety that I have can prevent my gut from healing and taking antidepressants is more beneficial. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor
9 hours ago, Sabaarya said:

Thank you. I don’t eat outside at all.I talked to my doctor and he wants me to start my antidepressants as soon as possible. He says that my frequent bowel movements is stress related IBS and also diet change. He said that my damage was so mild that it can’t cause diarrhea. I don’t have diarrhea though,it’s either loose or solid. Also he wants me to stop eating veggies and fruits for now. He said the fact that my blood work improved in such a short period of time shows that my gut is healing. I told him that I took iron supplement for 1 month once a day though. He said with severe damage it won’t absorb it so fast. I started low fodmap diet and it’s better now. Will have repeat SIBO test this Friday but doctor wants me to start xifaxan either way but will do the test first. When I asked him about hidden gluten in SSR he said that right now the amount of stress and anxiety that I have can prevent my gut from healing and taking antidepressants is more beneficial. 

It sounds like you are doing better with the low fodmap which is a good thing. As far as the med is concerned  it seems if you are female doctors will often push drugs like the one he is asking you to take. Has he referred you to any counseling? I don't know your stress levels at the moment but IMHO couseling and maybe a visit with a psychiatrist (if needed) would be a better first step. Do look up side effects of this drug and cost ( which is very high if you don't have insurance) before agreeing to take it. He is also flat out wrong about gluten in meds not being an issue.  I hope things improve for you soon.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Please reconsider taking the SSRI.

Serotonin (and other neurotransmitters) are made in the gut.  Tryptophan is needed to make serotonin.  Taking 1000 mg of Tryptophan with meals can improve your anxiety.  

5 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

It sounds like you are doing better with the low fodmap which is a good thing. As far as the med is concerned  it seems if you are female doctors will often push drugs like the one he is asking you to take. Has he referred you to any counseling? I don't know your stress levels at the moment but IMHO couseling and maybe a visit with a psychiatrist (if needed) would be a better first step. Do look up side effects of this drug and cost ( which is very high if you don't have insurance) before agreeing to take it. He is also flat out wrong about gluten in meds not being an issue.  I hope things improve for you soon.

Hi. My doctor actually never pushes me to take any medication. It’s been more than i month since I came back to US and every single day I’m calling or emailing him and he sees the amour of stress and anxiety. Last week he FaceTimed me and I was so bad that even couldn’t talk and he said you should start SSR cause with this condition you are damaging your gut even more. My psychiatrist thinks that I am In depression and also suggested me to start SSR. I took Lexapro last year and it helped me. 

RMJ Mentor

You said you took Lexapro last year and it helped - if you didn’t have side effects perhaps consider taking it again? From what I can find online the ingredients should not have any gluten in them. If you post the name of the generic manufacturer here I can try to look up those ingredients for you.

Stress/anxiety can definitely affect the bowels.  I had diarrhea before every exam in college!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Please search the ingredients of any prescription medications here first, before taking them:

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/ 

1 hour ago, RMJ said:

You said you took Lexapro last year and it helped - if you didn’t have side effects perhaps consider taking it again? From what I can find online the ingredients should not have any gluten in them. If you post the name of the generic manufacturer here I can try to look up those ingredients for you.

Stress/anxiety can definitely affect the bowels.  I had diarrhea before every exam in college!

Escitalopram. Thank you,appreciate it!

RMJ Mentor
1 hour ago, Sabaarya said:

Escitalopram. Thank you,appreciate it!

Escitalopram is the generic name of the drug.  To look up exact inactive ingredients one needs the name of the company who manufactures the drug, which you would have to find out from your pharmacy. It is usually on the container with the prescription, although sometimes abbreviated.

Abbvie or Allergan manufacture the brand name Lexapro.  There are a dozen companies that have FDA approval to manufacture the generic version.

65210749-DA8D-416B-BFF6-77249AF6851A.webp.52fcc3e2b7e8439655cb15aaedda8b3b.webp

14 minutes ago, RMJ said:

Escitalopram is the generic name of the drug.  To look up exact inactive ingredients one needs the name of the company who manufactures the drug, which you would have to find out from your pharmacy. It is usually on the container with the prescription, although sometimes abbreviated.

Abbvie or Allergan manufacture the brand name Lexapro.  There are a dozen companies that have FDA approval to manufacture the generic version.

65210749-DA8D-416B-BFF6-77249AF6851A.webp.52fcc3e2b7e8439655cb15aaedda8b3b.webp

So it says Lexapro on the container

Diamonds Apprentice
3 hours ago, Sabaarya said:

Hi. My doctor actually never pushes me to take any medication. It’s been more than i month since I came back to US and every single day I’m calling or emailing him and he sees the amour of stress and anxiety. Last week he FaceTimed me and I was so bad that even couldn’t talk and he said you should start SSR cause with this condition you are damaging your gut even more. My psychiatrist thinks that I am In depression and also suggested me to start SSR. I took Lexapro last year and it helped me. 

What is SSR please ?

8 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

What is SSR please ?

Antidepressants. I believe it’s SSRi

Diamonds Apprentice
5 minutes ago, Sabaarya said:

Antidepressants. I believe it’s SSRi

Thanks..

RMJ Mentor
20 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

What is SSR please ?

SSRi stands for Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor.  By inhibiting reuptake of serotonin it increases the level in the brain - thus acting as an antidepressant.

RMJ Mentor
24 minutes ago, Sabaarya said:

So it says Lexapro on the container

If it is the name brand Lexapro, the other ingredients besides escitalopram are:  talc, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose/colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide and polyethylene glycol.

The croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose and hypromellose are all derivatives of cellulose, usually starting as wood pulp.  These cellulose ingredients and the others should all be gluten free.

I hope the Lexapro will give you some release from your anxiety!

2 hours ago, RMJ said:

If it is the name brand Lexapro, the other ingredients besides escitalopram are:  talc, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose/colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, titanium dioxide and polyethylene glycol.

The croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose and hypromellose are all derivatives of cellulose, usually starting as wood pulp.  These cellulose ingredients and the others should all be gluten free.

Thank you so much:). I will start it after my SIBO test.

Diamonds Apprentice
17 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Please search the ingredients of any prescription medications here first, before taking them:

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/ 

Hello Scott...I hope u good...I'm sure levothyroxine has lactose in it  ...but the doctors  say before they can't change the drug as no other.so  what  does  one do ?

GF-Cate Enthusiast
3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Hello Scott...I hope u good...I'm sure levothyroxine has lactose in it  ...but the doctors  say before they can't change the drug as no other.so  what  does  one do ?

Hi Diamonds,

Tirosint is a brand name version of levothyroxine that does not contain fillers such as gluten, lactose, dyes, and preservatives.

https://www.tirosint.com

With celiac or NCGS you should be able to get your endocrinologist or whichever doc prescribes your thyroid meds to switch you to it. Unfortunately, it can be very pricey even with prescription insurance, but there are discount coupons on the manufacturer website and sometimes ordering direct from manufacturer, getting a prescription for a 3-month supply or comparing costs on sites like Good rX can help bring down the cost.

Diamonds Apprentice

Thanks Scott...I'm in UK  and there is no  insurance here for prescriptions...they free or people have to work and pay...doctors are very strict here ..I keep ask them to change it and they say no we can't..its the only  one....but  I'm not so sure ....

Just now, Diamonds said:

Thanks Scott...I'm in UK  and there is no  insurance here for prescriptions...they free or people have to work and pay...doctors are very strict here ..I keep ask them to change it and they say no we can't..its the only  one....but  I'm not so sure ....

Just now, Diamonds said:

I will look on Google  for this  now  in hope  of buy it myself if not  to  Pricey...oh  yes  is  Tirosint exactly the  same  drug as levothyroxine.?

Diamonds Apprentice
5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I will look on Google  for this  now  in hope  of buy it myself if not  to  Pricey...oh  yes  is  Tirosint exactly the  same  drug as levothyroxine.?

I'm  sure  when I take levo  ..it  gives me really  bad pain all over ...due  to fillers ect...I'm not  100% sure ...but  it just feels like  every time I take it  ...it so bad .Doctor  gave me amitriptyline to  get rid of pain...but  I don't  know  for  sure  if  it  from me  ..as we get pain coleiacs do ,or from  levo...have you heard of this  before ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 1:00 PM, RMJ said:

Hi. It’s been a week since I’ve started Lexapro. It helped with my symptoms. My bowel movement got better,my anxiety level got better,but I developed mild pain under my right rib towards the end. I wonder if it could be gluten in Lexapro that causes that discomfort..

Wheatwacked Veteran

LEXAPRO does not contain lactose, gluten, sucrose, tartrazine or any other azo dyes.   https://media.healthdirect.org.au/medicines/GuildLink_Information/92053/CMI/luclexat10920.pdf

Could be that as you heal you will notice things that were masked by the other symptoms.

Gallbladder disease tops the list of possible causes of pain under the right rib — the right upper quadrant (RUQ) in medical lingo.   https://www.livestrong.com/article/260640-what-are-the-causes-of-pain-on-the-right-side-under-the-bottom-rib/

Watch this video, he explains choline deficiency as a cause at around the 7 minute mark   https://www.beyondmthfr.com/estrogen-choline-and-the-gallbladder/.   Minimum RDA (100% DV) for adult women is 400 mg a day (3 1/2 large eggs). The RDA upper limit is 3500 mg (24 eggs); though the side effects (fishy body odor, low blood pressure) are not usually seen until 7000 mg per day. I take 840 mg a day of phosphotidyl choline because it does not need to be activated by the liver before being useful.

Diamonds Apprentice
9 hours ago, Sabaarya said:

Hi. It’s been a week since I’ve started Lexapro. It helped with my symptoms. My bowel movement got better,my anxiety level got better,but I developed mild pain under my right rib towards the end. I wonder if it could be gluten in Lexapro that causes that discomfort..

Hi   Sabaarya,    talc  does not sound good to ingest?  

2 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Could be that as you heal you will notice things that were masked by the other symptoms.

Watch this video, he explains choline deficiency as a cause at around the 7 minute mark   https://www.beyondmthfr.com/estrogen-choline-and-the-gallbladder/.   Minimum RDA (100% DV) for adult women is 400 mg a day (3 1/2 large eggs). The RDA upper limit is 3500 mg (24 eggs); though the side effects (fishy body odor, low blood pressure) are not usually seen until 7000 mg per day. I take 840 mg a day of phosphotidyl choline because it does not need to be activated by the liver before being useful.

But it started after Lexapro.. I don’t know. One of the side effects of Lexapro is upset stomach and digestive issues maybe it’s related to that. I don’t know