This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How long to eat gluten before blood test

ChanDaMan

ChanDaMan Newbie

Hello, I have been eating gluten for 24 years with no diagnosis of celiac. I have always had stomach problems but never got checked out. Recently, I tried a gluten free diet and I feel a lot better with symptoms improving. My PCP just gave me a blood test order and he told me to go back to eating gluten for 1 week before I get tested. I've been gluten free for just over a month. Is 1 week long enough to get a valid result?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
18 minutes ago, ChanDaMan said:

Hello, I have been eating gluten for 24 years with no diagnosis of celiac. I have always had stomach problems but never got checked out. Recently, I tried a gluten free diet and I feel a lot better with symptoms improving. My PCP just gave me a blood test order and he told me to go back to eating gluten for 1 week before I get tested. I've been gluten free for just over a month. Is 1 week long enough to get a valid result?

No. The mayo clinic official recommendation for the gluten challenge leading up to the serum antibody test is to consume an amount of gluten equivalent to 2 slices of wheat bread daily for 6-8 weeks.

Scott Adams Grand Master

The Mayo clinic recommends eating at least 2 slices of bread for 6-8 weeks before a blood screening for celiac disease, and 2 weeks for an endoscope:

ChanDaMan Newbie
1 hour ago, Scott Adams said:

The Mayo clinic recommends eating at least 2 slices of bread for 6-8 weeks before a blood screening for celiac disease, and 2 weeks for an endoscope:

Can I get the biopsy without the blood test?

Scott Adams Grand Master

The normal protocol would be to get the blood panel done first:

and if you have positive results, possibly get a biopsy after.

ChanDaMan Newbie
10 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

The normal protocol would be to get the blood panel done first:

and if you have positive results, possibly get a biopsy after.

I know that's the norm but is it possible to just ask for a biopsy if I can't eat gluten for 6-8 weeks 

trents Grand Master
50 minutes ago, ChanDaMan said:

I know that's the norm but is it possible to just ask for a biopsy if I can't eat gluten for 6-8 weeks 

Certainly! That is if your physician is willing to go that route. Actually, the biopsy is considered the gold standard of celiac diagnosis. Physicians may be bound by insurance guidelines, however, that demand they do the much less expensive serum antibody testing first.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sahamies Apprentice

I don’t think you should put yourself through torture to see if you are gluten intolerant.   If gluten makes you sick, then you are gluten intolerant.  You don’t need to have a gene for it.  It can happen to anyone at any time.  If other grains like rice make you sick too, then you can give them up too.  You don’t need any grains at all.  Also, if the test comes back negative, are you going to eat gluten again?  Of course not because gluten makes you sick.  The test is just a waste of time and money.  Also you might make yourself severely sick.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Wheatwacked replied to Layu's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Help plz with results. celiac?

2. - Layu replied to Layu's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

3. - Wheatwacked replied to Layu's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

4. - Rageagainstthewheat posted a topic in Gluten-Free Foods, Products, Shopping & Medications

Holland & Barrett Supplements

5. - Wheatwacked replied to GardeningForHealth's topic in Post Diagnosis, Recovery & Treatment of Celiac Disease

10 years later, my celiac is progressing

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Ecaple
    Newest Member
    Ecaple
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Wheatwacked
      Elevated levels of Anti-Gliadin IgG might mean that your body is reacting to gluten. This can happen when your immune system is more sensitive to gluten, which could be a sign of non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS).  In the US 10% of the population are diagnosed NCGS while only 1% are diagnosed Celiac Disease.  "5 of 26 patients (20%) with biopsy-proven celiac disease during our specified period had a positive AGA IgA or IgG and a negative tTG." Anti-Gliadin Antibodies Identify Celiac Patients Overlooked by Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies In my non medical opinion, while your tests don't completely rule out Celiac disease it does indicate a high chance of Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.  A biopsy would be required to rule out Celiac Disease.  Many have posted that they test negative for blood test, but were eventually confirmed to have Celiac by a biopsy, some took 10 years to finally be diagnosed. The tTG-IgA test has a sensitivity of 78% to 100% and the EMA-IgA test has a sensitivity of 86% to 100%.  So there is room for the doctors to be wrong.  Since you do better on gluten free diet, it is likely one of the two.  Both require gluten free diet for your health.
    • Layu
      Hi Wheatwacked,  I maked tests when i eat gluten every day and don't take probiotiks.  Calprotectin 27 ( norm is 0 - 50) tTG IGA - 0.41 ( norm is <20)  total IGA - normal (1,02). Norm is 0,60-3.48 EMA IGG  and EMA IGA - <1:10 (it was written that such a result excludes celiac disease by 98%)  Anti Gliadin G ( Alpha gliadin G) - 100 U/ml (norm is 0-12). I can also say that i have often mucus in stool. I forgot to say that.  Gluten free diet helps me, right, but i can eat sometimes bread and other. Not every day. And i havent diarrhea. 
    • Wheatwacked
      Hi Layu, Could you copy the lab results, exactly as they appear.  Test, your results and the range the lab uses? Did the gluten free diet help? It could be that the probiotic helped limit the damage the gluten was doing.  It may have lowered your test results, especially if your tests were taken during a period when you were not eating gluten.  Foods like fermented pickles and sauerkraut (lactobacillus) might also help.    
    • Rageagainstthewheat
      Does anyone have experience with H&B supplements? I purchased a few different supplements and most of them don’t say they are ‘gluten free’ but they don’t have wheat or gluten in their ingredients list and they don’t have a ‘may contain’ warning. Does that mean they would be safe to take? 
    • Wheatwacked
      I tried that but it wasn't enough.  Liquid Iodine drops.   In the 1970s, the median urinary iodine (UI) level in the United States was 320 mcg/L, which indicated adequate dietary iodine intake. However, the median UI level dropped by 50% between the 1970s and 1990s. This decline was likely due to a decrease in salt and egg consumption and the removal of iodate conditioners from breads.