This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I've had my period non stop since my second shot of the Moderna Covid Vaccine (Help ?!)

ron123

ron123 Newbie

Hi,

I've had my second shot on Moderna on September the 10th, a week after my last period ended. I then had my period on October the 5th, and then it never stopped. I'm so tired.

I couldn't book an appointment with my gyno yet, but I went to the doctor and he gave me a 2 weeks treatment (non hormonal) at the beginning of november, and stopped bleeding for one week. As soon as I stopped taking the treatment my period came back.

I honestly don't know if it's linked to the vaccine or not, I just mention it because it's the only thing that as changed before this disaster happened lol.

Any experience or advice until I can finally see a gyno ? (not before january I think ..)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

ron123, do you have either celiac disease or non celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS)? Just trying to figure out why you are posting in a forum dealing with gluten-related health issues.

Darcy Martinez Apprentice

I have similar problem, but mine started after getting covid symptoms over a year ago.  Many women are experiencing non stop bleeding from covid.  Covid seems to be messing with our hormones.  They started a facebook group to learn from eachother.  So far I havent figured out how to fix it.

There is a theory that covid triggers auto immune disease.  ITP is an auto immune disease.  Google ITP 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Again, if your posts in this thread are not in any way related celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, etc., then they are way off topic for this site.

Hemorrhaging is a common symptom of celiac disease.  Vitamin k is needed to coagulate blood.  Celiacs have a hard time absorbing vitamin K.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.

Low levels of Vitamin D can cause menstrual irregularities.

"The Relationship between Vitamin D Status and the Menstrual Cycle in Young Women: A Preliminary Study"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6265788/

I doubt this is ITP, as Vitamin D deficiency plays a part in that.

"Refractory immune thrombocytopenia successfully treated with high-dose vitamin D supplementation and hydroxychloroquine: two case reports"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3623781/

I had extremely long periods at one point.  My Vitamin D level was almost nonexistent, severely deficient, in the single digits.  

Vitamin D acts as a hormone in levels above 70 nnmol/l.  Vitamin D is required to make and control estrogen production.  

Vitamin D also helps regulate the immune system.  

Check with your doctor for low Vitamin D.  Replenish Vitamin D with D3 supplements.  D2 is synthetic form doctors prescribe to make money.  D2 is not as easily absorbed and utilized as D3.  

Hope this helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Crowe Newbie
23 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.

Low levels of Vitamin D can cause menstrual irregularities.

"The Relationship between Vitamin D Status and the Menstrual Cycle in Young Women: A Preliminary Study"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6265788/

I doubt this is ITP, as Vitamin D deficiency plays a part in that.

"Refractory immune thrombocytopenia successfully treated with high-dose vitamin D supplementation and hydroxychloroquine: two case reports"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3623781/

I had extremely long periods at one point.  My Vitamin D level was almost nonexistent, severely deficient, in the single digits.  

Vitamin D acts as a hormone in levels above 70 nnmol/l.  Vitamin D is required to make and control estrogen production.  

Vitamin D also helps regulate the immune system.  

Check with your doctor for low Vitamin D.  Replenish Vitamin D with D3 supplements.  D2 is synthetic form doctors prescribe to make money.  D2 is not as easily absorbed and utilized as D3.  

Hope this helps!

I joined the site just to respond to this. This is really helpful so thank you for posting this. I also had awful periods and got on the implant about a year ago. At one point I had bled for 3 months and the doctor put me on some doxycycline which helped. But all this while we have been battling extremely low vitamin d. I have been on 10,000 units a day for a few months. I talked to my doctor on the phone yesterday and found out they want to test me for celiac. I didnt know what that was other than thinking it was a gluten sensitivity. I didnt know why because I hadn't complained if gastro ir abdominal issues. She said the vitamin d issue, the bleeding issue, and my mysterious neurological issue (walking has been deteriorating) could potentially be related to celiac. I was floored. Ive been in and out of appointnebts for 3 years with everyone pointing at trauma/fibromyalgia and they had no jdea about the periods. But now I have a doctor who is maybe seeing the larger picture. I will be being tested in 3 weeks. But Im scared to eat gluten now after learning what it might do to a celiac person. Im going to call my doc tomorrow and ask if they can move up the test to this week bc if I am celiac ai dont want to touch gluten. My periods are horrible. I did get the vaccine after getting the implant and I hadnt bled at all before the vaccine which was around 3 months between. I caught covid at the beginning of the pandemic though and havent been well since. I had a mysterious walking issue come up. I dont know too much about this condition but wonder if covid triggered the celiac and the vaccine triggered the bleeding problem. Something to ask my doc about next time I see her. Scary stuff this is

trents Grand Master

There is something called NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity) for which there currently is no test. A diagnosis of NCGS is arrived at by first eliminating Celiac Disease, for which there are two kinds of tests. Celiac Disease damages the villi that line the small bowel which leads to nutrient deficiencies since the villi are where nutrients are absorbed from our food. Constant inflammation from the immune system mistakenly detecting gluten as an invader over time wears down and destroys the villi. There are blood antibody tests for detecting celiac disease specific antibodies produce by the inflammation. There is also a diagnostic test for celiac disease utilizing an endoscopy with biopsy of the villi. That sample is then sent off to a lab for microscopic analysis to look for damage to the villi. It is important to realize that NCGS and celiac disease have many of the same symptoms. NCGS does not damage the villi but can have other toxic effects on body systems.

It is also important for you to know that you need to continue eating regular amounts of gluten right up to the time that either test is performed for celiac disease. The pretest gluten challenge recommendations from the Mayo Clinic specify the daily consumption of gluten in an amount equivalent to two slices of wheat bread for 6-8 weeks prior to the serum antibody test and for 2 weeks prior to an endoscopy/biopsy.

If you go off gluten before testing is complete the inflammation will subside and the villi will begin to heal, thus potentially sabotaging the testing.

Edited by trents

Your walking issue is called ataxia, it is very common among undiagnosed celiacs.

knitty kitty Grand Master

@Crowe,

Welcome to the forum!  Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm impressed your doctor put your symptoms together as Celiac Disease.  She's a keeper!

Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder where gluten triggers an immune response against gluten and erroneously attacks cells in the body (that's the autoimmune part).  The villi in the small intestine are damaged in this attack and can no longer absorb vitamins and minerals.  Malabsorption results in malnutrition.  Screening for deficiencies is part of proper follow up care for Celiac patients.

Many Celiacs have a deficiency in the eight B vitamins.  It's rare to have a deficiency in just one vitamin.  The B vitamins all work together.  They are water soluble and easily lost when we are sick.  

The mysterious walking issue may be caused by deficiencies in some of the B vitamins.  Deficiencies in Cobalamine (B12), Thiamine (B1), Niacin (B3), or Pyridoxine (B6) cause changes in gait.  

It's probable that you were low in vitamins due to undiagnosed Celiac Disease (some Celiacs are asymptomatic, some have digestive disorders, some have a skin rash, dermatitis herpetiformis).   The Covid vaccine causes an immune response which can deplete Thiamine levels if already low.  The bout with Covid may have further drained and depleted the vitamins stores you did have. 

Thiamine cannot be stored for long.  A thiamine deficiency can occur in as little as nine days.  The World Health Organization (WHO) has a field test for thiamine deficiency.  If you have difficulty rising from a squat, especially if you can't rise at all, you have a thiamine deficiency.  WHO states a thiamine deficiency can be diagnosed if, after receiving 300 mg of thiamine hydrochloride for several days, improvement is seen.  

I squatted down to get something off the bottom shelf at the grocery store and I absolutely could not rise again.  (It was very embarrassing.)  I also had developed a strange waddling  gait.  Sometimes I walked like a drunk.  I began taking thiamine hydrochloride and noticed improvement within hours. With thiamine supplementation, my ability to walk normally was corrected as well.  I also supplemented with a B Complex containing all eight B vitamins, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C.  (Vitamin D deficiency can affect your balance, too.)  I also supplemented magnesium (thiamine needs magnesium to work properly).

An earlier appointment or requesting to be put on the cancellation list would be great.  You do need to continue eating gluten every day like @trents said.  If you don't, your body will quit making the anti-gluten antibodies and you'll get a false negative on the blood tests that tests for this gluten specific antibody.  But there's light at the end of the tunnel!  Once the blood tests and endoscopy are done, you can go gluten free.  It's easier on your body to stay on gluten for now and get all testing done.  Being off gluten and reintroducing it later can be difficult as the immune response will go into overdrive.  

I hope this helps! 

Here's some more information....

"Be well: A potential role for vitamin B in COVID-19"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7428453/

And...

"Evaluation of thiamine as adjunctive therapy in COVID-19 critically ill patients: a two-center propensity score matched study"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8242279/

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome @Crowe, as mentioned, gluten ataxia is a common issue in untreated celiac disease, and this category has many articles on this topic:

https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/celiac-disease-amp-related-diseases-and-disorders/ataxia-nerve-disease-neuropathy-brain-damage-and-celiac-disease/

Dr. Rodney Ford has also written several books that cover this, and he refers to celiac disease as a "gut, skin, and brain" disease, and here is a link to his articles:

https://www.celiac.com/profile/81265-dr-rodney-ford-md/

which include: