This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Liquid Iv(the electrolyte drink mix) Celiac Safe?

EmmaC19

EmmaC19 Newbie

Hi, so I recently got glutened again really bad by trusting a gluten-free label and this product is marked gluten-free too and I can’t find if it’s Celiac Safe. So if anyone knows that would be wonderful. Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

"Gluten Free" just means that there is no more than 20ppm of gluten in the product per serving. Some celiacs still react to that amount of gluten. Also, there could be some other ingredient besides gluten in this product that you are reacting to.

Scott Adams Grand Master

A look at their site indicates that it's gluten-free, thus safe for celiacs:
https://www.liquid-iv.com/ 

Did you eat other things that day that could be the culprit? It might make sense for you to contact the company if you believe they may have a contamination issue. This would be rare, but possible.

knitty kitty Grand Master

If a person is low in thiamine and is given a large amount of glucose (one of the ingredients listed as an ingredient in this drink), the person can experience "refeeding syndrome."

In Refeeding Syndrome, electrolytes are thrown out of balance and thiamine is quickly  depleted.  It's a serious medical condition.

Thiamine is needed to process the glucose.  During periods of not consuming enough nutrients, Thiamine stores can become depleted rapidly with a sudden introduction of carbohydrates like glucose.  

Sudden Thiamine deficiency can feel like you've been glutened.  Diarrhea, abdominal pain, and brain fog are a few of the symptoms which mimics being glutened.

Please seek medical attention.  Explaining you are Celiac, have malabsorption and malnutrition, and have been consuming that drink (take the drink mix package with you), will help the doctor treat you for Refeeding Syndrome and thiamine deficiency.

https://www.healthline.com/health/refeeding-syndrome#risk-factors

And...

"Refeeding syndrome: what it is, and how to prevent and treat it"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

I'm not a doctor, just a microbiologist who has experienced Refeeding Syndrome herself.  

Hope this helps!  Take care!

• 1 month later...
nogluteguru Newbie
On 2/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, EmmaC19 said:

Hi, so I recently got glutened again really bad by trusting a gluten-free label and this product is marked gluten-free too and I can’t find if it’s Celiac Safe. So if anyone knows that would be wonderful. Thank you

Hello! 

It has recently come out that many people have tested Liquid IV (with home tests and gluten detection dogs) and found gluten. I, along with hundreds more, found ourselves very sick after drinking liquid iv too. I haven't had in over a year now but last summer I would drink it a lot and was very sick. 

Liquid IV states that they go through the testing but multiple flavors of liquid IV have been found to have gluten in them. 

Liquid IV is not responding to people finding gluten in their products so it's best to stay away until we know for sure. I would go with Nuun tablets for electrolytes! 

I'm hoping they respond to the celiac community soon! 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Can I ask where "It has recently come out that many people have tested Liquid IV"? What is your source of this info? 

nogluteguru Newbie
49 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Can I ask where "It has recently come out that many people have tested Liquid IV"? What is your source of this info? 

It has been brought up this past week so all very new but want to keep the community safe until we have answers! 

I have shared a lot on my tik tok and instagram at @noglutenguru - liquid iv has been tested with NIMA partners sensor, EZ gluten sensor, multiple gluten detection dogs, and GlutenTox (I think thats how its spelled for the last brand) - all coming back with over 20 ppm of gluten in the liquid iv packets (various flavors). When I shared this post, I received over a thousand different comments of people reacting to it as well as the new trend throughout these platforms of people testing liquid IV with their gluten detection dogs, or at-home sensors and most are coming back with gluten. 

The main flavors I have seen are original and passionfruit. 

The community has been trying to contact Liquid IV but getting the same response of:

"We have a rigorous set of protocols in place in our manufacturing process to ensure we are meeting quality standards for Liquid I.V. We test every batch of our product at an ISO-accredited laboratory to ensure that it meets FDA standards for gluten-free products."

You can look on their socials right now, many upset people with celiac, gluten intolerance, etc. 

I am pending the liquid IV packets and will be testing and sharing with the community soon as is the gluten detection watchdog! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
SolanoATX Newbie
On 3/31/2022 at 1:59 PM, nogluteguru said:

It has been brought up this past week so all very new but want to keep the community safe until we have answers! 

I have shared a lot on my tik tok and instagram at @noglutenguru - liquid iv has been tested with NIMA partners sensor, EZ gluten sensor, multiple gluten detection dogs, and GlutenTox (I think thats how its spelled for the last brand) - all coming back with over 20 ppm of gluten in the liquid iv packets (various flavors). When I shared this post, I received over a thousand different comments of people reacting to it as well as the new trend throughout these platforms of people testing liquid IV with their gluten detection dogs, or at-home sensors and most are coming back with gluten. 

The main flavors I have seen are original and passionfruit. 

The community has been trying to contact Liquid IV but getting the same response of:

"We have a rigorous set of protocols in place in our manufacturing process to ensure we are meeting quality standards for Liquid I.V. We test every batch of our product at an ISO-accredited laboratory to ensure that it meets FDA standards for gluten-free products."

You can look on their socials right now, many upset people with celiac, gluten intolerance, etc. 

I am pending the liquid IV packets and will be testing and sharing with the community soon as is the gluten detection watchdog! 

I would like proof of your finding or claim, getting a little tired of people claiming this without proof, and you telling me this does not equate to proof.  How can a company claim it is gluten free if it is not.  That would be illegal.  I come here for reliable information and do not just want the word of someone claiming to be a guru, I would like proof.  That is fair, don't you think?

nogluteguru Newbie
7 hours ago, SolanoATX said:

I would like proof of your finding or claim, getting a little tired of people claiming this without proof, and you telling me this does not equate to proof.  How can a company claim it is gluten free if it is not.  That would be illegal.  I come here for reliable information and do not just want the word of someone claiming to be a guru, I would like proof.  That is fair, don't you think?

I am not claiming to have proof or making a blanket statement on the company. This is what I, along with many others, have experienced. I am no guru, that's a fun username.. but I am someone who thought this was odd to have so many people sick with this as a common denominator, along with a few different at-home tests and gluten detection dogs found gluten. Again, this is not a fact and I am aware on the science behind tests but I still believe this is something that we should have awareness on. I wish my information not to steer anyone in which direction but to be up to date on what is being discussed. We are all trying to avoid the same ingredient. If some people feel ill from it and find themselves benefitting from cutting it, great. If not, that is their decision. I apologize as I thought this forum was a space for discussion and what we've experienced. 

You are correct, it is illegal to mislabel and this is very rare but has happened in the past. The there are two types of US labeling for gluten-free. The one liquid IV does is through their own third party testing site, which is completely fine! They are held liable for their gluten-free claims. The FDA does come and randomly test batches but this is not the same as "certified" gluten-free. Like I said, very rare but I would like to know when something like this is occurring especially if I was feeling ill while following a strict gluten-free diet. . I will continue to gather data and help find an answer as to why so many people have been sick from this product and why gluten is being detected from various sources! 

• 1 year later...
frich Newbie
Scott Adams Grand Master

Ok, so it seems to be gluten-free, thanks for posting this.