This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low libido without gluten

Spherical Bird

Spherical Bird Contributor

Hi everyone ! I'm posting this topic because I have a feeling my case might be a little specific. Also, before I start anything, please keep in mind that I'm not a native English speaker so I apologize if I make any typo or misspell anything. Feel free to correct me too.

Anyway, the title sum it all. I've been trying to remain gluten free since two years now with a few mistakes. And despite the calm it brought to me and my partner, there's still this issue. I'm not sure if what I'm going through is normal though.

If that helps a little, we've been together for 6 years with a one year break because I didn't knew I had these intolerances and had to discover for myself why I was so emotional, tense and tired all the time too. We both saw some huge changes so we came back together. Except... My libido has been doing some weird things. Sometimes being wild, other times not.

I always believed that it was surprisingly always high and believed it was because he was my first lover too. And it was all so nice that I always thought I wouldn't ever be affected by that saying about "love that only lasts 3 years" (chemically).

Except apparently, this is what I felt when I was glutened all the time. I recently noticed a similar effect as I seems to have an intolerance to corn prolamins aswell. My libido temporarly got over the roof as I ate a lot of these, only to result, later, in me getting the usual candidosis, vitamin deficiencies/shaky hands and tachycardia. That and a lowered tolerance to some other foods. I also got more sleeping difficulties too with sleep paralysis too. A collection of not-so-nice symptoms. A little bit of research led me to conclude I cannot process glutamic acid based food once my tolerance is lowered. The thing is... These food feels like double edged swords to me ! On one hand they make me feel funny but on the other hand, it thus become much more difficult for me to control my train of thoughts or my stress and I'm much more exhausted, I'm aware the glutamic acid action is related to that or some ataxia that I could get too. I've read a few articles mentionning that these neurltransmitters are indeed inbalanced in people with celiac/intolerances too.

But now I wonder if it's not related to my sex drive aswell... I'm affraid it is.

So I have a feeling that, as opposed to people who go gluten free and see an improvement on the matter of libido, I don't. In fact, it's the opposite for me.

I'm not even sure why but I suspect that I always associated my libido with an adrenaline rush too, which I only seems to get as my guts gets damaged and honestly, just thinking about this makes me feel a little depressed.

I don't know what to with all of this. I love my partner very much but it feels annoying to see that my sex drive has been lowered and can't match my feelings as much. Oh and speaking of that, I did have gender dysphoria when I was younger too, because I always thought I was thinking a lot about these things as a woman (I'm not saying it's a bad thing nor a man-specific thing) but I remember feeling that strange "need" on mornings too. But without gluten and similar proteins, things don't feel the same.

I'm not sure I want to destroy myself for the sole purpose of improving my sex drive, but honestly, during the last months, these has been the only rare moments where I actually felt something. Before the celebrations of the end of the years, I was lost... then it came back as I ate what I can't digest. Thinking it was fine. But ultimately, I got the proof it wasn't. 

I don't know what's up with all of this.

Has anybody ever went through something similar ? If yes, I'd be really happy to read about your experiences and well, maybe some tips too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I noticed I made some typos anyway and can't edit my message. On phone at least, I hope it's still easy to read. Feel free to tell me if it isn't.

Scott Adams Grand Master

This is an interesting issue you've brought up, and as you've mentioned, most people report the opposite--that their libido improved after going gluten-free. 

Were you diagnosed with celiac disease? If so, you mention that you've had some mistakes with your diet. Is it possible that you're still getting regular trace amounts of gluten in your diet? If so, this could cause your gut not to heal, and prolong your recovery, if you do in fact have celiac disease.

It is well known that gluten has addictive properties, to perhaps when you eat it there is somehow an endorphin-type rush going on that helps your libido...I'm not sure, but clearly you should be avoiding it.

Another thing to consider, are you taking a good multi-vitamin & mineral complex, and vitamin D? Many celiacs have nutrient deficiencies which can cause libido issues. 

knitty kitty Grand Master

@Spherical Bird,

I agree with @Scott Adams.  You should be taking a B Complex vitamin.

Some of the symptoms you mentioned (shaky hands, Candida infection, sleep disturbances, tachycardia, overly emotional, and tired) are early symptoms of insufficiency of some B vitamins.

Glutamic acid foods require thiamine (vitamin B1) to break down and turn it into energy.  Thiamine also helps control Candida overgrowth.  

If corn isn't prepared using lye, the niacin (vitamin B3) in corn is bound up and your body can't absorb and use it.  Corn can also cause a reaction similar to gluten in some people. 

Part of the inflammation process when gluten (or corn) is the release of histamines.  High histamine levels can make one feel like it's hard to focus or keep on one train of thought.  Vitamin C and Vitamin B12 helps keep histamine levels in check.

Niacin (Vitamin B3) is converted into a form called Tryptophan that we need to make neurotransmitters, heal our guts, and have deep relaxing sleep.  

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin that is frequently low in people with Celiac.  When Vitamin D is above 75 nmols/l, Vitamin D acts as a hormone and helps make estrogen and testosterone.  

Taking a B Complex supplement along with extra tryptophan at night, and thiamine, and Vitamin D should be beneficial.  The B vitamins are water soluble. Any excess your body doesn't need will be excreted in urine.  

Hope this helps! 

52 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

@Spherical Bird,

Some of the symptoms you mentioned (shaky hands, Candida infection, sleep disturbances, tachycardia, overly emotional, and tired) are early symptoms of insufficiency of some B vitamins.

Glutamic acid foods require thiamine (vitamin B1) to break down and turn it into energy.  Thiamine also helps control Candida overgrowth.  

If corn isn't prepared using lye, the niacin (vitamin B3) in corn is bound up and your body can't absorb and use it.  Corn can also cause a reaction similar to gluten in some people. 

Part of the inflammation process when gluten (or corn) is the release of histamines.  High histamine levels can make one feel like it's hard to focus or keep on one train of thought.  Vitamin C and Vitamin B12 helps keep histamine levels in check.

Niacin (Vitamin B3) is converted into a form called Tryptophan that we need to make neurotransmitters, heal our guts, and have deep relaxing sleep.  

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin that is frequently low in people with Celiac.  When Vitamin D is above 75 nmols/l, Vitamin D acts as a hormone and helps make estrogen and testosterone.  

Taking a B Complex supplement along with extra tryptophan at night, and thiamine, and Vitamin D should be beneficial.  The B vitamins are water soluble. Any excess your body doesn't need will be excreted in urine.  

Hope this helps! 

5 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

This is an interesting issue you've brought up, and as you've mentioned, most people report the opposite--that their libido improved after going gluten-free. 

Were you diagnosed with celiac disease? If so, you mention that you've had some mistakes with your diet. Is it possible that you're still getting regular trace amounts of gluten in your diet? If so, this could cause your gut not to heal, and prolong your recovery, if you do in fact have celiac disease.

It is well known that gluten has addictive properties, to perhaps when you eat it there is somehow an endorphin-type rush going on that helps your libido...I'm not sure, but clearly you should be avoiding it.

Another thing to consider, are you taking a good multi-vitamin & mineral complex, and vitamin D? Many celiacs have nutrient deficiencies which can cause libido issues. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't officially diagnosed with celiac because I couldn't find the patience to keep eating gluten for the test. The reason behind this is that I always had a very scary dysphagia/sleep apnea at night if I ever eat some. This symptom also tend to reappear to if I ate too much corn too (but to a lesser extent).

I don't know about the state of my guts currently, but I'm pretty sure it is likely that I have an intolerance: my father's familly side is notably known to have digestive issues/weak guts. He frequently told me he have issues with a few food that irritate the guts, and I also remember him always havinh fungal problems too. I also remember that he would often take vitamins supplements. And well, his older sister is gluten intolerant (and I wish I knew about this earlier) So... I'm affraid this is something I got from him. Celiac, I wouldn't know, but intolerant, for sure.

As I'm typing this answer to you, I had one more agitated night because of my throat "blocked" itself in the night again actually... I ate a little bit of glutamic acid based foods today, with the hope it would be a little easier to digest than last time. Apparently, it's still difficult to digest, I'm tired...

I didn't knew the deficiencies could affect libido though. I know I've been deficient in vitamin D lately (because of the candida infection I would believe) unfortunately, the blood tests didn't contained any infos about B12 or B vitamins in general. But I'll try to look for these, thank you.

1 hour ago, knitty kitty said:

@Spherical Bird,

Hope this helps! 

I don't know why it seems that I also quoted your message Knitty Kitty, maybe a bug or a mistake I made. But whatever.

Anyway, tank you for your suggestions and clear explanations. That makes a lot of sense regarding what I could observe when it comes to food reactions. And... That also make a lot of vitamins to take actually. I must admit I am a bit concerned since my last attempts with supplements weren't that great either: magnesium seems to have given me some very exhausting dreams so... I keep wondering if this is due to other potential defficiencies too. The only thing that have been helping without much side negative effects are probiotics actually (lots of lactobacillus varieties)

But well, I already know I lack the D ones lately so you're right, there's probably something to do on this matter. Seeing that I still have this lack of D despite the fact that I've been trying to consistently eat meats and sources of it is really frustrating...

This said, I'm not even sure where I should begin or what brands to use either. Would you have any suggestions ? I've heard that all the vitamins aren't always processed very well (I've heard of that for B12 but maybe this applies to other forms of B vitamins ?)

Thank you in advance for your help !

I'm asking because I must admit that, because of past trials, I'm also careful with tryptophan too.

I remember not having some of the best reactions to foods that contained some. I always had the weirdest dreams out of them and even used to joke, saying this was my own "drug" to get the silliest dreams. The problem is that they were either exhausting, stressing and I'd wake up with an angry stomach too. But maybe that was the lactose intolerance at work too ? I'm not sure... Lactose free products gives similar result though.

But that said, I suspect it was that way because these are also high in glutamic acids too. I think it's the whole synergetic effects of all of these vitamins that I don't completely understand yet too. Same goes for my odd reaction to magnesium.

Having intolerances of all sorts like this really feel like a maze at times !

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatwacked Veteran

Iodide is absorbed in the stomach and duodenum and cleared by the kidney and the thyroid.    https://ijpeonline.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1687-9856-2014-8

Celiac disease is an inherited autoimmune disorder that affects the digestive process of the small intestine. The small intestine is connected to the stomach; the first parts of the small intestine— the duodenum and the jejunum—are where celiac disease is commonly found.   https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/overview/

Low Iodine can lower your level of T4, which regulates other hormones. You may experience low libido, chronic fatigue, thinning of hair and any number of symptoms.    http://www.drcraig-chiropractor.com/blog/74683-iodine-10-benefits-for-thyroid-amp-health_2

Our data show a borderline low iodine intake in this middle-aged French population. However, differences in iodine intakes may contribute to explaining only a small part of the effects of sex and age on thyroid disease incidence.   https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/public-health-nutrition/article/lifestyle-factors-related-to-iodine-intakes-in-french-adults/DE794E21F476BF94BC7989334D106269

21 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Iodide is absorbed in the stomach and duodenum and cleared by the kidney and the thyroid.    https://ijpeonline.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1687-9856-2014-8

Celiac disease is an inherited autoimmune disorder that affects the digestive process of the small intestine. The small intestine is connected to the stomach; the first parts of the small intestine— the duodenum and the jejunum—are where celiac disease is commonly found.   https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/overview/

Low Iodine can lower your level of T4, which regulates other hormones. You may experience low libido, chronic fatigue, thinning of hair and any number of symptoms.    http://www.drcraig-chiropractor.com/blog/74683-iodine-10-benefits-for-thyroid-amp-health_2

Our data show a borderline low iodine intake in this middle-aged French population. However, differences in iodine intakes may contribute to explaining only a small part of the effects of sex and age on thyroid disease incidence.   https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/public-health-nutrition/article/lifestyle-factors-related-to-iodine-intakes-in-french-adults/DE794E21F476BF94BC7989334D106269

This is interesting. I definitely feel that I have some issues in the throat when I am too tired and anemiated/deficient, and I've found that using a special salt (mixed with plants) do have some interesting relieving effects too. I'll make sure to get enough of these too then.

I also just started my vitamins cure today. I hope I get some good results too. But I also wonder for how long I am supposed to take these vitamins too ? I wouldn't want to use the entire box if they can help me later on my next mistakes. I guess I'm also eager to know when will I be able to process glutamate charged food again too. They're just so tasty, it's a bit sad that I have to remove them...

Oh and by the way Scott, when I mentionned errors in my diet, it was about some other gluten free breads or pasta that seems to cause similar effects. I remember some that were quinoa and potato starch based... But I don't think this one was a problem (although I usually avoid potato based food too)

I remember there was also an awful lot of corn based foods during Christmas and New Year so... I think this is might be the culprit. So maybe it's just a general problem with flours high in prolamins. It really feels like it.

Wheatwacked Veteran
2 hours ago, Spherical Bird said:

how long I am supposed to take these vitamins too ?

Long enough to feel better and build up body stores. Depends on how much is in the food you eat.

I chose an organic nori because it is certified heavy metal free, and the other seaweeds and algae have way too much iodine. From 3 to 100 times as much. 3 sheets a day (7.5 grams) is working well for me, usually with my morning coffee (French Roast by the way 😘).  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1021949814000155

Scott Adams Grand Master
7 hours ago, Spherical Bird said:

Oh and by the way Scott, when I mentioned errors in my diet, it was about some other gluten free breads or pasta that seems to cause similar effects. I remember some that were quinoa and potato starch based... But I don't think this one was a problem (although I usually avoid potato based food too)

Nightshades are an issue for many people, as they can cause inflammation, which may explain why you have issues with potatoes. This is a separate issue from celiac disease, but you may want to experiment and cut out all nightshades for a while to see if it helps.

3 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Nightshades are an issue for many people, as they can cause inflammation, which may explain why you have issues with potatoes. This is a separate issue from celiac disease, but you may want to experiment and cut out all nightshades for a while to see if it helps.

Oh, inflammation isn't the reason I avoid them actually, it's mostly for their high glycemic index. I've noticed that they would increase my tiredness, give me weird tingling sensations in the limbs and increase my migraines intensity if I've been glutened and so on... so I haven't eaten any in two years now. Only in starch form in these bread. But I assume the effects they have on me might be different of an actual potato.

But I didn't knew they were part of the nightshade category. Depending on the periods, I more or less tolerate them...

@Spherical Bird,

You said "...increase my tiredness, give me weird tingling sensations in the limbs and increase my migraines intensity..." and "...emotional, tense and tired all the time too."  You've also mentioned sleep apnea and sleep paralysis and Candida infections.  

These are symptoms of Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency.  The World Health Organization (WHO) states that a thiamine deficiency can be diagnosed if improvement is seen after taking 300 mg (daily minimum) of Thiamine Hydrochloride (Thiamine HCl) for several days.  

Thiamine is needed to process proteins, fats and carbohydrates into energy for the body to function.  When we eat high carbohydrate meals, we need more thiamine to process it into energy.  If we are already low in thiamine, eating a heavy carbohydrate meal can use up a lot of thiamine, leaving us feeling tired.  There's little thiamine left over for physical activities and migraines occur.  The brain can use as much thiamine just thinking as the body uses in physical activity.    

Here's an article on thiamine and sleep apnea....

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/sleep-requires-energy/

I corrected my thiamine deficiency with thiamine HCl, and Benfotiamine and Allithiamine (fat soluble forms that get into cells easily).  Benfotiamine is helpful in healing the gastrointestinal tract, and in Diabetes.  Allithiamine is helpful with migraines.  

These are the kinds I take....

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item00925/mega-benfotiamine?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIubGz5o-L9gIVCSdMCh3qHA2LEAAYASAAEgJyDvD_BwE

And...

https://www.pureformulas.com/search?Ntt=Ecological+Formulas+Allithiamine&CAWELAID=530005240005033715&CATRK=SPFID-1&CAAGID=18278036696&CATCI=kwd-12750205696&CAPCID=111325175216&CADevice=t&accountid=53000524&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-D0kpCL9gIVZhXUAR32XALCEAAYASAAEgKW-fD_BwE

And...

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01945/bioactive-complete-b-complex?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOj0sZCL9gIVmxPUAR1RywBxEAAYASAAEgJwHPD_BwE

I took high doses of thiamine (500-1000mg/day).  I took thiamine HCl and benfotiamine or allithiamine with every meal.  Thiamine is water soluble (any excess is excreted in urine) and nontoxic.  

Hope this helps!

On 2/19/2022 at 7:30 AM, knitty kitty said:

@Spherical Bird,

You said "...increase my tiredness, give me weird tingling sensations in the limbs and increase my migraines intensity..." and "...emotional, tense and tired all the time too."  You've also mentioned sleep apnea and sleep paralysis and Candida infections.  

These are symptoms of Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency.  The World Health Organization (WHO) states that a thiamine deficiency can be diagnosed if improvement is seen after taking 300 mg (daily minimum) of Thiamine Hydrochloride (Thiamine HCl) for several days.  

Thiamine is needed to process proteins, fats and carbohydrates into energy for the body to function.  When we eat high carbohydrate meals, we need more thiamine to process it into energy.  If we are already low in thiamine, eating a heavy carbohydrate meal can use up a lot of thiamine, leaving us feeling tired.  There's little thiamine left over for physical activities and migraines occur.  The brain can use as much thiamine just thinking as the body uses in physical activity.    

Here's an article on thiamine and sleep apnea....

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/sleep-requires-energy/

I corrected my thiamine deficiency with thiamine HCl, and Benfotiamine and Allithiamine (fat soluble forms that get into cells easily).  Benfotiamine is helpful in healing the gastrointestinal tract, and in Diabetes.  Allithiamine is helpful with migraines.  

These are the kinds I take....

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item00925/mega-benfotiamine?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIubGz5o-L9gIVCSdMCh3qHA2LEAAYASAAEgJyDvD_BwE

And...

https://www.pureformulas.com/search?Ntt=Ecological+Formulas+Allithiamine&CAWELAID=530005240005033715&CATRK=SPFID-1&CAAGID=18278036696&CATCI=kwd-12750205696&CAPCID=111325175216&CADevice=t&accountid=53000524&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-D0kpCL9gIVZhXUAR32XALCEAAYASAAEgKW-fD_BwE

And...

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01945/bioactive-complete-b-complex?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOj0sZCL9gIVmxPUAR1RywBxEAAYASAAEgJwHPD_BwE

I took high doses of thiamine (500-1000mg/day).  I took thiamine HCl and benfotiamine or allithiamine with every meal.  Thiamine is water soluble (any excess is excreted in urine) and nontoxic.  

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions and additionnal details Knittykitty ! I have started using vitamins since 3 days now and it seems that there is B1 in the pills I took so that's good new. I noticed too late that asking for the exact products references here may not be that useful because I live in France so I might not have the same opportunities. But I guess I might compare the doses if what I took doesn't work.

But well, so far, I've been feeling much more energetic and my nightime tachycardia has stopped bothering me and waking me up, the night following the begining of the cure! I had an eyelid twitching for 15 hours the next day, but I believe it was just my body getting used to vitamins again. It's gone and have been positive so far.

I have a feeling this might have given me a small boost of libido this weekend too (if it wasn't that, alongside some other positive news I got and a sunny weekend) so I'm happy ! :)

Either way, thank you very much for the vitamin suggestion ! 

This has already greatly improved my sleeping schedule and night quality too I think. I did have nightmares once because of milk (they always do this to me tho, so I avoid dairy). But even that nightmare felt much more sensical and rational than what I usually dream about. It's like a lot fo fears I usually have on daytime are being processed in dreams again. This is surprising to me because my old nightmares were only just about suffocation... 

So yeah, so far, some good news. I'll keep looking up into thiamine deficiency if I keep struggling too much with tiredness.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone ! I come with some news about all of this after some time. Some good and some other middly irritating (litterally)

Mood wise, life has significantly gotten better with vitamins (to a point where I consider I might get tested with gluten intolerance if it doesn't impact my body as much as when I am deficient) I also think the libido problem is somewhat solved, I mean I feel that my libido is definitely back (this is also the first time that I experience a very jolly mood when there's spring-like weather, this is almost funny) but happy effects aside, I'm now suspecting vitamins are causing bladder problems ! I've already heard that some of these are evacuated through urine but I think this is the first time I'm struggling that much with this particular problem.

Also sorry for the gross topic but, prior to that I also had a candidosis flare-up after eating some sugary things (strangely, refined sugar gives me these reactions but not the others, I would assume it's the "pure" form that really triggers this)

Everything feels nearly perfect aside of these things. The glutamic acid reactions has definitely decreased if not vanished, onions doesn't seems to harm my sleep as much as it used to but there's still the bladder issues... Someone told me this could be the excess vitamins C excess but I've heard B12 excess could cause similar issues too. 

Does anyone have informations regarding this ? Ironically, all of this is still related to the topic's theme too since these things makes me avoid too much cuddles...

Wheatwacked Veteran
On 2/18/2022 at 6:06 AM, Spherical Bird said:

I wouldn't want to use the entire box if they can help me later on my next mistakes.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:26 AM, Spherical Bird said:

the first time that I experience a very jolly mood when there's spring-like weather

That's the vitamin D talking. They call it Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) but I think it is the vitamin D deficiency. I had a similar response after a few days of 10,000 IU of vitamin D.

The essential vitamins and minerals are required for your systems to function. If you don't eat them through food then you need to continue to supplement.  You are reversing years of deficiency so it takes time. It took me 7 years of 10,000 IU a day to raise my vitamin D plasma level to 80 ng/ml. In 2018 it was 47 ng/ml; Sept 2021 at 86.9 and Jan 2022 at 80.

Keep in mind that the people spouting fears of hypervitaminosis are probably the same people who told you there was nothing wrong with you, so do your own research before believing them.

What ones are you taking that is working so well for you? There may be others that you haven't discovered yet.

2 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

That's the vitamin D talking. They call it Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) but I think it is the vitamin D deficiency. I had a similar response after a few days of 10,000 IU of vitamin D

Keep in mind that the people spouting fears of hypervitaminosis are probably the same people who told you there was nothing wrong with you, so do your own research before believing them.

What ones are you taking that is working so well for you? There may be others that you haven't discovered yet.

https://fr.arkopharma.com/products/azinc-vitalite-gelules

These are the ones I take, the percentages are in "Composition" 

And I agree with you, regarding the fact I shouldn't believe people's opinions on that too much, but regarding the vitamins and urines, it's more something that I always heard and read about vitamins that the body do not need. I also often had these sort of problems when glutened so I wouldn't be surprised if I now have a weak bladder because of all these years.

So this makes sense to me and so far, I stopped these and now, there's no more urge nor cloudy urines on the mornings.

So I'm suspecting some of these vitamins may be in too high quantities too. I have no idea what the ideal levels of vitamins would be for me though...

9 hours ago, Spherical Bird said:

https://fr.arkopharma.com/products/azinc-vitalite-gelules

These are the ones I take, the percentages are in "Composition" 

And I agree with you, regarding the fact I shouldn't believe people's opinions on that too much, but regarding the vitamins and urines, it's more something that I always heard and read about vitamins that the body do not need. I also often had these sort of problems when glutened so I wouldn't be surprised if I now have a weak bladder because of all these years.

So this makes sense to me and so far, I stopped these and now, there's no more urge nor cloudy urines on the mornings.

So I'm suspecting some of these vitamins may be in too high quantities too. I have no idea what the ideal levels of vitamins would be for me though...

And after the day is over, I notice it's just the intensity of the urges and how painful they are that diminished. 

I've heard this could be a "cleaning" syndrome of candida/urinary infections but I'm not sure.

I've just stopped eating corn too as I noticed effects similar to gluten (which probably explain my recent deficiencies aswell) so... Perhaps it's just that.

Either way, I'm feeling really clueless right now. I just wish my bladder was able to tolerate all of this without being that upset...

Wheatwacked Veteran

image.png.83c2876443c608666ee73185ea02d61f.pngVitaminRDA

Scott Adams Grand Master

@Wheatwacked This is an interesting chart, can you explain this "Celiac High Risk" column? Who does this test?

Wheatwacked Veteran

The Celiac High Risk was my own notes, based on information I read. Iodine and potassium even though rarely mentioned with celiac disease are absorbed by the small intestine/duodenum and so would be affected.

Conclusions: We found that iodine absorption in celiac children is impaired compared to the general population; it increases slightly, but not significantly, during the GFD. We should regularly reinforce the need for a proper iodine intake in celiac disease patients to reduce iodine deficiency risk.    Iodine Absorption in Celiac Children: A Longitudinal Pilot Study

Upon testing, severe hypokalemia was detected. However, high dose potassium treatments did not reverse his symptoms. Due to his history of loose stools, he was then tested for celiac disease and a diagnosis was confirmed. After starting a gluten-free diet, his symptoms significantly improved. And he is able to live a normal life on a gluten-free diet.     

Potassium Deficiency – Is Gluten to Blame?

Scott Adams Grand Master

This is a great chart!

On 3/18/2022 at 1:30 AM, Wheatwacked said:

image.png.83c2876443c608666ee73185ea02d61f.pngVitaminRDA

Thank you for the references, I'll try to compare because the pharmacian I saw resolutely told me that they are certain things that can cause issues in the product (copper being one of them) and I wouldn't be surprised that I would react to other components...

Oh and by the way, regarding the UTI and candidosis, well, I've also been forcing myself to eat more alkaline foods again, because I removed onions from my diet, thanks to the glutamic acid intolerance... (which was, linked to the B1 deficiency, as said earlier) And it turns out I was being too acidic because of my recent meals (which thus created a lasting candidosis...) 

I'm already seeing some very positive effects (in 3 days) of onion use (1 per day, in half for lunch and dinner) and I'm amazed to see how these have slowed down the bladder issue... I think the pomegranate + lemon juice I take also helps a little with this aswell. Not sure why because I would assume they make the body more acid, but no. Apparently they're alkaline too.

I think all of this may have exausted my kidneys a little bit (I'm on my period and they hurt a little) but nothing too awful actually. But well, if that ever helps anyone who struggles with bladder problems or infections, just know this can give you some relief,  at least, it gave me some ! :)

@Spherical Bird,

You should continue taking your B Complex vitamins.

It was probably the Candida infection making your urine cloudy, not the vitamins.  A good rule of thumb is to drink eight ounces of water after urinating.  Water in, water out.  Drinking Cranberry juice is an excellent way to clear out Urinary Tract Infections.

7 Foods and Drinks That May Cause Cloudy Urine

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-cause-cloudy-urine#7.-Coffee-and-tea

You can take Vitamin B3, niacin, in the form of Niacinamide or nicotinamide (not related to nicotine in tobacco) to clear up Candida.  

Effect of Nicotinamide Against Candida albicans

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6443637/

The vitamins you are taking do not have enough B12.  Low B12 can cause bladder problems, incontinence and urgency.  

Hope this helps!

Wheatwacked Veteran
On 3/20/2022 at 5:31 PM, Spherical Bird said:

forcing myself to eat more alkaline foods again

Food goes into the stomach where it is mixed with hydrochloric acid. Unless you are taking something to override the feedback (PPIs). Intraluminal pH of the human gastrointestinal tract   

Onions have lots of Sulphur. Sulphur is an antibiotic that was responsible for saving lives before penicillin.  Onions: Health benefits, health risks & nutrition facts ;  HOW DO SULFONAMIDES WORK?