This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recommendation for a gluten-free Iron supplement

Rogol72

Rogol72 Collaborator

Does anyone know of a gluten free, dairy free, soy free Iron supplement please? Liquid or tablet. Thanks in advance. 

P.S. One that is available in the UK/Ireland.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cristiana Veteran
1 hour ago, Rogol72 said:

Does anyone know of a gluten free, dairy free, soy free Iron supplement please? Liquid or tablet. Thanks in advance. 

P.S. One that is available in the UK/Ireland.

Hi Rogol72

This might work - but CAUTION, don't buy Floradix (it has gluten in it), buy FLORAVITAL.

https://floradix.co.uk/product/floradix-floravital-liquid-iron/

But use with caution: don't supplement iron on a regular basis without monitoring by a doctor - too much iron in the blood can cause very serious health issues.  

Sorry for brief post but I'm not on the forum much at the moment because of other commitments.  I hope others might be able to help if you have any questions.  This is a good supplement if you want something gentle on the stomach.

Cristiana

Rogol72 Collaborator
1 minute ago, cristiana said:

Hi Rogol72

This might work - but CAUTION, don't buy Floradix (it has gluten in it), buy FLORAVITAL.

But use with caution: don't supplement iron on a regular basis without monitoring by a doctor - too much iron in the blood can cause very serious health issues.  

Sorry for brief post but I'm not on the forum much at the moment because of other commitments.  I hope others might be able to help if you have any questions.  This is a good supplement if you want something gentle on the stomach.

Cristiana

Hi Cristina,

Thank you. Much appreciated. I've found another one that is gluten free and from the reviews on the site appears to be gentle on the stomach ... https://www.nutriadvanced.ie/ferrodyn.html

Just need an energy boost every now and then.

Rog.

Rogol72 Collaborator
On 2/18/2022 at 7:30 PM, Rogol72 said:

Hi Cristina,

Thank you. Much appreciated. I've found another one that is gluten free and from the reviews on the site appears to be gentle on the stomach ... https://www.nutriadvanced.ie/ferrodyn.html

Just need an energy boost every now and then.

Rog.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, cristiana said:

Hi Rogol72

Cristiana

Hi Cristiana,

Sorry for bothering you, have you come across a gluten-free, DF, SF Calcium or bone support supplement? I'm reacting to some of the brands I've tried ... Solgar Calcium-Magnesium-Boron, Calcichew is no good either. I've got DH which acts up when I've taken these calcium supplements. Also got Osteopenia.

I take all my supplements individually rather than in a multivitamin which is more effective for me.

Kind Regards,

Rog.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Hi, @Rogol72,

You might do better taking Calcium, Magnesium and Boron separately.  

Calcium and magnesium compete for absorption.  Better to take them individually and at different times.

The citrate or glycinate forms of each of these minerals is easier on the intestines and more absorbable.  Such as...

Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate.

CitriCal has calcium citrate.

I've got Osteopenia and my DH does not flare with these forms.  

I do have to be careful with Calcium.  I'm allergic to shellfish, so no Calcium supplements made from oyster shells.  

Green leafy vegetables are great sources of calcium.  Turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, and kale.  

Hope you're taking Vitamin D and Vitamin C with these, too.

Hope this helps!

Rogol72 Collaborator
9 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Hi, @Rogol72,

You might do better taking Calcium, Magnesium and Boron separately.  

Calcium and magnesium compete for absorption.  Better to take them individually and at different times.

The citrate or glycinate forms of each of these minerals is easier on the intestines and more absorbable.  Such as...

Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate.

CitriCal has calcium citrate.

I've got Osteopenia and my DH does not flare with these forms.  

I do have to be careful with Calcium.  I'm allergic to shellfish, so no Calcium supplements made from oyster shells.  

Green leafy vegetables are great sources of calcium.  Turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, and kale.  

Hope you're taking Vitamin D and Vitamin C with these, too.

Hope this helps!

Thanks @knitty kitty, much appreciated!

Yes, that’s a better idea.

I live in Ireland so the brands you mentioned are not available here, there are very good alternatives though.

What are your thoughts on Maltodextrin derived from certified non GMO corn? It’s in some and sprayed on other supplements.

Is cod liver oil a bad idea for DH considering cod is high in Iodine? I eat Salmon, Mackerel or Sardines once or twice a week, big on the green leafy vegetables and am AIP for the most part as I also have Ulceratvie Colitis which is in remission. I am considering a fish oil supplement keep the brain sharp.

I’m on 2500iu NaturesPlus Vitamin D3 every other day. I also take 500mg Vitamin C by Viridian Nutrition, B Complex 50 and additional Thiamine and Niacin, Magnesium Malate, Zinc and Choline (Eggs make me feel nauseous so I stay away from them).

Kind Regards,
Rog.

@Rogol72,

I don't notice a big problem with Maltodextrin from corn.  There's usually only a minimal amount, so... here's an article that explains more...

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/is-maltodextrin-bad-for-me#takehome-message

I don't take cod liver oil because I've got a crustacean/shellfish/fish  allergy and get awful DH flares from them.  I tried an Areds supplement for eye health, but it's made with krill (a crustacean) and had a horrible experience.  I leave seafood to the whales and dolphins.

I take flaxseed oil instead.  It's high in omega 3's.  

I do stick close to the AIP diet as well.  Occasionally I try beans or lentils, but they don't go through so well.  I can't do eggs either. 

Liver is my favorite for getting all the fats soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K), the eight B vitamins, and trace minerals.  

Have you had your Vitamin D level checked recently?  I do take more Vitamin D every day than you do.  Vitamin D works best in levels above 78 nmol/l.  Being at such a northern latitude, you may want to up your Vitamin D intake.  

Do make sure you get enough Calcium.  Green leafy vegetables are a great source, as are those edible fish bones in sardines!  Any time we supplement magnesium, we should make sure we eat some calcium source foods, too, so our bodies don't leech calcium out of our bones causing osteoporosis or osteopenia.    

Sounds like you've got a great regimen going! Proud of you!  Cheers!  🐱 prrrrrprrrr

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rogol72 Collaborator

@knitty kitty,

Aw shucks, thanks! It’s been a grind yet I’m like a dog with a bone. Lots of research, I never give up and I’ve found a good Naturopath who is NCGS and siblings have celiac disease.

I’ve learned a lot from this podcast.
https://open.spotify.com/show/2dJKFWF5nv0Ri8ssa3aXXI

I had a Vitamin D deficiency years ago, a result of 10 years on Azathioprine for severe UC, was cautioned to stay out of the sun due to compromised immune system ... and a northern clime didn't help!

I get my bloods done every 3 to 4 months to check everything. I keep my vitamin d levels hovering between 100 and 125 nmol/l which is the “upper safe limit” here. I seem to absorb it efficiently, hence 2500iu every other day.

Commercial Dairy flares my DH … I get the tell tale random pin prick effect from it. I think it's the enzyme microbial transglutaminaise used in commercial dairy. And it knocks me out like morphine. Brain slows down!

Fortunately, grass fed meats are easily available here. So too is grass fed dairy from small independent farms selling locally, but I stay away from it.

Getting sufficient calcium is the priority now. Medical folks are irrationally paranoid about Calcium supplements here, probably since we consume a lot of dairy as a nation.

You do great work on the forum. Very knowledgeable.

Thank you!  

Yes!  Microbial transglutaminase acts the same as human tissue transglutaminase promoting inflammation.  It's used in so much processed foods (gluten free and not), microbial transglutaminase is suspected as a possible cause for the recent increase in Celiac Disease.

Those dairy opioids knock me out flat.   I get DH and eczema (casein allergy), so I don't do dairy.

I like your Vitamin D level!  That's great!  

Grass feed beef is a staple in my diet.  Due to Covid and transportation issues, I had been forced to change to stockyard fattened beef.  What a difference!  So thankful I can get grass fed beef again!  

Same here with the calcium conundrum.  Let me know what you discover that helps there! 

So nice to have met you.   

Edited by knitty kitty
Typo correction