This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cosmicveganchick

Cosmicveganchick Apprentice

I'm really struggling today with lightheaded/ dizziness! It's been 3 weeks since I went gluten free and aside from anxiety dizziness, the extreme hunger is terrible. No matter what I do or eat nothing really helps for long. Today I'm shaky and anxious and dizzy and feel like my blood sugar is very low. Is it common for blood sugar levels to be all over the place during gluten withdrawal? If so, how do you stabilize it? I drank some coke which I dont normally do and it hasn't done anything. I've eaten plenty of food! Right now I'm trying sugar under my tongue! Fingers crossed!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darcy Martinez Apprentice

You need chromium.  Drink a glass of real grape juice, with your meal.

22 minutes ago, Darcy Martinez said:

You need chromium.  Drink a glass of real grape juice, with your meal.

Oh really? What does that do? If that's the freaking answer I am going to be so relieved!

knitty kitty Grand Master

@Cosmicveganchick,

Did the sugar help any?  

Coke is made with high fructose corn syrup which has to be processed through the liver (just like alcohol) and contributes to Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  

When I first went gluten free, I experienced low blood sugar frequently.  I adopted the AutoImmune Protocol diet, developed by a doctor with Celiac (Dr. Sarah Ballantyne), for herself and her children.  It's been scientifically proven to promote healing in Celiac people.  This is a Paleo/Ketogenic diet.  The body switches from burning carbohydrates for fuel to burning fats and proteins for fuel.  There is a segment in her book (The Paleo Approach) for vegetarians.  

https://www.thepaleomom.com/books/

I also started supplementing with thiamine, Vitamin B1.  Celiac Disease causes damage to the small intestine where vitamins are usually absorbed.  Checking for nutritional deficiencies is part of proper follow up care for Celiacs.  

Thiamine is the B vitamin that we can run out of quickly because we can't store it for longer than three weeks.  Insufficiency can occur in as little as nine days.  Symptoms of insufficiency include anxiety, dizziness, and changes in appetite.  I had periods of ravenous hunger and other times I wouldn't want to eat at all (anorexia).  

I believe you said in another post that you tested low for Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D.  The eight essential B vitamins all work together.  It's a safe assumption that if you're low in one, you're probably low in the others as well.  

The World Health Organization (WHO) says a deficiency in thiamine can be made if improvement is seen after taking a minimum of 300 mg of thiamine HCl for several days.  Another quick test for thiamine deficiency is difficulty rising from a squat.  

I squatted down at the grocery store to retrieve an item on the bottom shelf.  I could not rise from the squat.  My legs would not work.  My legs were paralyzed.  I started taking thiamine supplements.  I had improvement within hours.  My anxiety began to abate, my appetite normalized, and my blood sugar levels stabilized over the following weeks.  I continue to take them daily.  

The B vitamins are water soluble.  Any excess is excreted in urine.  But we can also lose thiamine when we have diarrhea, vomiting or constipation.

We need more thiamine when we are sick.  Doctors have found that Thiamine helps people recovering from Covid (long haulers).  Doctors give it to Covid patients in hospital on respirators for better outcomes.  

We need more thiamine if we are Diabetic.  I'm Type Two Diabetic.  Thiamine helps keep my blood sugar levels stabilized.  Thiamine is needed to make insulin and  digestive juices.  Thiamine is needed by every cell in our bodies to function.  

Taking a B Complex supplement, magnesium, and additional thiamine may be helpful.  Magnesium is needed to help thiamine work.  Discuss with your health practitioner the benefits of supplementing.  

Hope this helps!

21 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

@Cosmicveganchick,

Did the sugar help any?  

Coke is made with high fructose corn syrup which has to be processed through the liver (just like alcohol) and contributes to Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  

When I first went gluten free, I experienced low blood sugar frequently.  I adopted the AutoImmune Protocol diet, developed by a doctor with Celiac (Dr. Sarah Ballantyne), for herself and her children.  It's been scientifically proven to promote healing in Celiac people.  This is a Paleo/Ketogenic diet.  The body switches from burning carbohydrates for fuel to burning fats and proteins for fuel.  There is a segment in her book (The Paleo Approach) for vegetarians.  

https://www.thepaleomom.com/books/

I also started supplementing with thiamine, Vitamin B1.  Celiac Disease causes damage to the small intestine where vitamins are usually absorbed.  Checking for nutritional deficiencies is part of proper follow up care for Celiacs.  

Thiamine is the B vitamin that we can run out of quickly because we can't store it for longer than three weeks.  Insufficiency can occur in as little as nine days.  Symptoms of insufficiency include anxiety, dizziness, and changes in appetite.  I had periods of ravenous hunger and other times I wouldn't want to eat at all (anorexia).  

I believe you said in another post that you tested low for Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D.  The eight essential B vitamins all work together.  It's a safe assumption that if you're low in one, you're probably low in the others as well.  

The World Health Organization (WHO) says a deficiency in thiamine can be made if improvement is seen after taking a minimum of 300 mg of thiamine HCl for several days.  Another quick test for thiamine deficiency is difficulty rising from a squat.  

I squatted down at the grocery store to retrieve an item on the bottom shelf.  I could not rise from the squat.  My legs would not work.  My legs were paralyzed.  I started taking thiamine supplements.  I had improvement within hours.  My anxiety began to abate, my appetite normalized, and my blood sugar levels stabilized over the following weeks.  I continue to take them daily.  

The B vitamins are water soluble.  Any excess is excreted in urine.  But we can also lose thiamine when we have diarrhea, vomiting or constipation.

We need more thiamine when we are sick.  Doctors have found that Thiamine helps people recovering from Covid (long haulers).  Doctors give it to Covid patients in hospital on respirators for better outcomes.  

We need more thiamine if we are Diabetic.  I'm Type Two Diabetic.  Thiamine helps keep my blood sugar levels stabilized.  Thiamine is needed to make insulin and  digestive juices.  Thiamine is needed by every cell in our bodies to function.  

Taking a B Complex supplement, magnesium, and additional thiamine may be helpful.  Magnesium is needed to help thiamine work.  Discuss with your health practitioner the benefits of supplementing.  

Hope this helps!

Hey knitty! I thought I responded on the other post but maybe I didn't lol! My brain is a little all over the place these days! I am taking a b complex but not extra thiamine.what dosage do you take of that? Is it in olive oil? I actually had to call 911 last night to come Che k my blood sugar level at around midnight! It was 126 lol I guess from all the sugars I was attempting.  I did get a glucose monitor today to see if it really Is dropping or if I'm just really anxious. I couldn't stop shaking last night and got really scared because of the unknown. Going gluten free isn't easy lol I normally use a naturopath for. Y health issues as I'm not a fan of pharmaceutical drugs. So I dint know if I have Celiac and I'm pretty sure I'm not Diabetic unless Celiac caused it🤷‍♀️ I wanted to go gluten free and see what would happen.i was already struggling with some dizziness before going gluten free and very mild anxiety. But it got so much worse after gluten free!  I'm guessing from the opiod thing? I'm ready to be over the mountain! I have never experienced these hunger extremes all the time! Or drops in Blood sugar. I guess anxiety contributes to that as well. I'm pretty financially strapped at the moment so just doing what I can to figure things out! Peeling the layers of the onion. Not wondering if there's some hormonal stuff going on as well.

Thank you so much for your insight and taking the time to help me! I did get some grape juice but it has citric acid in it. Is that ok? My friend picked it up for me and not sure if they all have that or not. Was it you that said I need chromiun?

Hi, @Cosmicveganchick,

Yes I answered on your other post, but I will answer here for future reference, too. 

I didn't suggest chromium for you, although it does help diabetics with blood glucose levels.  Chromium and thiamine are needed to make insulin.  

Yes, I do recommend extra thiamine, minimum of 300 mg a day.  Thiamine is water soluble and safe in large doses.  At one point I took 1000 mg a day.  

I took 100 mg thiamine hydrochloride with every meal and snack.  I found Allithiamine and Benfotiamine, fat soluble forms of thiamine that get into the cells easily.  

When there's a thiamine deficiency, the transporters that allow thiamine into the cells shut down.  To turn them back on, you have to flood the system with thiamine.  (Stuff moves from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration.)  

The anxiety, shaking, and your brain being "all over the place" are frequently symptoms of thiamine deficiency.  Symptoms I've experienced them, too.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has a field test for thiamine deficiency.  Can you rise from a squat?  Not being able to rise or having difficulty rising indicates a thiamine deficiency.  WHO states that a thiamine deficiency can be diagnosed if there is improvement after taking a minimum of 300 mg a day for several days.  

I squatted down in the grocery store to get an item off the bottom shelf.  I could not rise from the squat.  It was very distressing.

I started supplementing with thiamine and had improvement within hours.  I continue to take extra thiamine. 

Thiamine deficiency can precipitate Diabetes.  I have Type Two Diabetes.  Diabetics are notorious for having low thiamine.  Benfotiamine helps healing in the intestines and with diabetic blood glucose levels. 

Allithiamine can cross the blood brain barrier easily and helps with anxiety and dizziness.  The brain can use as much thiamine just thinking as the body uses for physical activities.  

These are the kinds I use....

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item00925/mega-benfotiamine?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfr2ktKP9gIV9hbUAR2fTgR3EAAYASAAEgLBa_D_BwE

And...

https://www.lifeextension.com/search#q=allithiamine&t=coveo4A2453FD

And...

https://www.nowfoods.com/products/supplements/vitamin-b-1-100-mg-tablets

Do the Squat test and see if you can rise without difficulty.

P.S. I don't like pharmaceuticals either.  I would rather give my body the micronutrients it needs to heal itself.  Besides, I wasn't deficient in pharmaceuticals, I was deficient in vitamins.

Thiamine is found in liver and other meats, sunflower seeds, Lima beans and English peas.  However, you can't eat enough food to correct a deficiency as quickly as taking supplements. 

Citric acid is Vitamin C.  It's fine.

Hope this helps!

Edited by knitty kitty
Typo correction

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

12 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

Hi, @Cosmicveganchick,

Yes I answered on your other post, but I will answer here for future reference, too. 

I didn't suggest chromium for you, although it does help diabetics with blood glucose levels.  Chromium and thiamine are needed to make insulin.  

Yes, I do recommend extra thiamine, minimum of 300 mg a day.  Thiamine is water soluble and safe in large doses.  At one point I took 1000 mg a day.  

I took 100 mg thiamine hydrochloride with every meal and snack.  I found Allithiamine and Benfotiamine, fat soluble forms of thiamine that get into the cells easily.  

When there's a thiamine deficiency, the transporters that allow thiamine into the cells shut down.  To turn them back on, you have to flood the system with thiamine.  (Stuff moves from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration.)  

The anxiety, shaking, and your brain being "all over the place" are frequently symptoms of thiamine deficiency.  Symptoms I've experienced them, too.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has a field test for thiamine deficiency.  Can you rise from a squat?  Not being able to rise or having difficulty rising indicates a thiamine deficiency.  WHO states that a thiamine deficiency can be diagnosed if there is improvement after taking a minimum of 300 mg a day for several days.  

I squatted down in the grocery store to get an item off the bottom shelf.  I could not rise from the squat.  It was very distressing.

I started supplementing with thiamine and had improvement within hours.  I continue to take extra thiamine. 

Thiamine deficiency can precipitate Diabetes.  I have Type Two Diabetes.  Diabetics are notorious for having low thiamine.  Benfotiamine helps healing in the intestines and with diabetic blood glucose levels. 

Allithiamine can cross the blood brain barrier easily and helps with anxiety and dizziness.  The brain can use as much thiamine just thinking as the body uses for physical activities.  

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item00925/mega-benfotiamine?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfr2ktKP9gIV9hbUAR2fTgR3EAAYASAAEgLBa_D_BwE

And...

And...

Ok thanks for this info! I don't have any trouble rising from a squat. Do non diabetics need more as well? Maybe a little extra would help dizziness and anxiety? I'm hyper sensitive to things and everything new I try lately has had a negative impact and set me back. Ugh

@Cosmicveganchick,

Yes, you should try Thiamine anyway.  You have other symptoms of thiamine insufficiency, the anxiety and shaking.  

Taking extra thiamine and the B Complex will help.  

How much B12 have you been taking?  

Like I said before, taking just one B vitamin can cause an unbalance in the others.  You're taking just B12.  B12 supplementation can use up folate (Vitamin B9) and Pyridoxine (B6) stores.  Many of the B vitamins have overlapping deficiency symptoms.  Taking a B Complex supplement ensures you're getting enough of all of them.  

Extra Thiamine is needed when we are sick, are going through emotional or stressful situations, are physically active (working out a lot), or work outside during hot weather.  

You said you recently had Covid.  Fighting an infection like Covid will use up your thiamine stores. 

Thiamine is given to Covid patients in hospital on respirators.  Thiamine supplementation has been found to help Long Haulers recover from having had Covid. 

Thiamine is water soluble.  Any excess will be excreted in urine easily.

Thiamine needs magnesium to work properly.  Taking a magnesium citrate supplement will help thiamine work better.

Keep us posted!

59 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

P.S. I don't like pharmaceuticals either.  I would rather give my body the micronutrients it needs to heal itself.  Besides, I wasn't deficient in pharmaceuticals, I was deficient in vitamins.

Thiamine is found in liver and other meats, sunflower seeds, Lima beans and English peas.  However, you can't eat enough food to correct a deficiency as quickly as taking supplements. 

Citric acid is Vitamin C.  It's fine.

Hope this helps!

LOL RIGHT! 

I'm vegan so that leaves out the meat but I do eat some sunflower seeds . I think I'll wait on the thiamine for a bit as I have been e permeating with too many things lately that have not been complimentary to say the least. I took some L- thiamine acouple of weeks ago and it completely messed me up and had the opposite effect on me, everything has been intensified since then. The anxiety and heart rate and dizziness. I dont recommend it to say the least. Have a great night and thanks again!

Just now, knitty kitty said:

@Cosmicveganchick,

Yes, you should try Thiamine anyway.  You have other symptoms of thiamine insufficiency, the anxiety and shaking.  

Taking extra thiamine and the B Complex will help.  

How much B12 have you been taking?  

Like I said before, taking just one B vitamin can cause an unbalance in the others.  You're taking just B12.  B12 supplementation can use up folate (Vitamin B9) and Pyridoxine (B6) stores.  Many of the B vitamins have overlapping deficiency symptoms.  Taking a B Complex supplement ensures you're getting enough of all of them.  

Extra Thiamine is needed when we are sick, are going through emotional or stressful situations, are physically active (working out a lot), or work outside during hot weather.  

You said you recently had Covid.  Fighting an infection like Covid will use up your thiamine stores. 

Thiamine is given to Covid patients in hospital on respirators.  Thiamine supplementation has been found to help Long Haulers recover from having had Covid. 

Thiamine is water soluble.  Any excess will be excreted in urine easily.

Thiamine needs magnesium to work properly.  Taking a magnesium citrate supplement will help thiamine work better.

Keep us posted!

Omg I didn't see this one lol! I am taking a b complex 

Vitamin B Complex | Vitamin B | Biotin | B Complex Vitamin Supplement | Liquid Vitamins for Hair Skin Nails | Energy Boost Supplement | Vegan | Non-GMO | Gluten Free | 1 Fl Oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N18PJLJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_8FWFJA7RV6ZTY7NY84TH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 no thiamine in there I guess! I may reconsider buying some. I'm gonna sleeping it😁

59 minutes ago, Cosmicveganchick said:

LOL RIGHT! 

I'm vegan so that leaves out the meat but I do eat some sunflower seeds . I think I'll wait on the thiamine for a bit as I have been e permeating with too many things lately that have not been complimentary to say the least. I took some L- thiamine acouple of weeks ago and it completely messed me up and had the opposite effect on me, everything has been intensified since then. The anxiety and heart rate and dizziness. I dont recommend it to say the least. Have a great night and thanks again!

Do you mean L-Theanine

L-Theanine is different from Thiamine.  

L-Theanine is an amino acid found in green and black tea.  There's L-Theanine in Oolong tea, also.  Oolong is my favorite when I need to relax.                 L-Theanine is optional.

Thiamine is Vitamin B 1.  It's the first B vitamin to be discovered.

Thiamine is an essential vitamin.  Our bodies cannot make thiamine.  We must consume some every day.  

Thiamine is not optional.

Your multi vitamins for hair and nails don't contain Thiamine.  

You need Thiamine.

Edited by knitty kitty
Add more information
On 2/20/2022 at 8:40 PM, knitty kitty said:

Hi, @Cosmicveganchick,

And...

And...

Do you take all of these everyday?

On 2/20/2022 at 8:54 PM, Cosmicveganchick said:

Omg I didn't see this one lol! I am taking a b complex 

Vitamin B Complex | Vitamin B | Biotin | B Complex Vitamin Supplement | Liquid Vitamins for Hair Skin Nails | Energy Boost Supplement | Vegan | Non-GMO | Gluten Free | 1 Fl Oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N18PJLJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_8FWFJA7RV6ZTY7NY84TH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 no thiamine in there I guess! I may reconsider buying some. I'm gonna sleeping it😁

These vitamins don't contain thiamine and riboflavin, and a minimal amount of niacin.  Three B vitamins that are needed to work with the other B vitamins and provide energy for brain and body function.  

No, I would not take these.