This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling worse before you feel better??

scanlanmd

scanlanmd Apprentice

Hi all!

I am about a month into my gluten free diet, I was feeling better initially, now, I have been having some sinus problems, headaches and fatigue. It almost feels like I’m constantly coming down with a cold, but, it never actually happens. 

Has anyone experienced this in the initial stages of their healing journey?

Currently taking:

l-glutamine, multi-vitamin, magnesium, b complex, vitamin D+C, probiotics.

THANK YOU.

Meg.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knitty kitty Grand Master

Can you tell us more about your gluten free diet? 

What sort of things are you eating?  Processed gluten free facsimile products?  Dairy?  

Thanks

scanlanmd Apprentice
20 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

Can you tell us more about your gluten free diet? 

What sort of things are you eating?  Processed gluten free facsimile products?  Dairy?  

Thanks

I have been quite diligent!

Mostly whole foods-fruits/veggies, smoothie form/salad form/soup form. Cauliflower rice, gluten-free rice, gluten-free pasta.  I do eat tofu and soy products more often than not (tempeh, soy based vegan cheese) I have had some avocado toast on some gluten-free bread the past few days.

knitty kitty Grand Master
9 minutes ago, scanlanmd said:

I have been quite diligent!

Mostly whole foods-fruits/veggies, smoothie form/salad form/soup form. Cauliflower rice, gluten-free rice, gluten-free pasta.  I do eat tofu and soy products more often than not (tempeh, soy based vegan cheese) I have had some avocado toast on some gluten-free bread the past few days.

Are you vegetarian?  

Some Celiacs have difficulty with soy and processed gluten free facsimile foods.  

Have you tried the Autoimmune Protocol diet?  It's Paleo, but there is a vegetarian version.  (The Paleo Approach by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne has been scientifically proven to reduce inflammation and heal the intestines.) 

Eating a diet high in carbohydrates can encourage Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). 

The AutoImmune Protocol diet cuts out lots of carbohydrates which starves out the SIBO bacteria.  Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency can result in SIBO since thiamine helps keep SIBO in check.  (Thiamine deficiency must be corrected by taking 300-500 mg of thiamine a day.  A B Complex doesn't contain enough to correct a thiamine deficiency. Improvement is usually seen within hours to days.)  

scanlanmd Apprentice
17 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Are you vegetarian?  

Some Celiacs have difficulty with soy and processed gluten free facsimile foods.  

Have you tried the Autoimmune Protocol diet?  It's Paleo, but there is a vegetarian version.  (The Paleo Approach by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne has been scientifically proven to reduce inflammation and heal the intestines.) 

Eating a diet high in carbohydrates can encourage Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). 

The AutoImmune Protocol diet cuts out lots of carbohydrates which starves out the SIBO bacteria.  Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency can result in SIBO since thiamine helps keep SIBO in check.  (Thiamine deficiency must be corrected by taking 300-500 mg of thiamine a day.  A B Complex doesn't contain enough to correct a thiamine deficiency. Improvement is usually seen within hours to days.)  

Not strictly vegetarian, I eat MOSTLY veg lifestyle, but, whatever my body is craving, I give to it. I've not tried the above protocol, however, I am so open to trying it!

I have a naturopathic and dietetic appointment next week too, so I mention all the above to them!!

UPDATE: I also do shift work, and with all the changes in my diet, I think I may have a mild sinus infection as a result, LOL. I got some OTC meds and am feeling more energized today.

Again, you all are so helpful here, thank you for easing my mind and journey every single DAY.

Meg.