This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac with young children

huffalynn

huffalynn Rookie

I was just diagnosed with celiac. I have went through my entire kitchen and threw out old scratched up dishes, pots and pans etc. cleaned out all cabinets, new shelf paper, and separated gluten foods from non gluten foods. Honestly, all that cleaning needed to be done anyway! Lol. Question is… My kids are used to eating snacks etc. they are so young they are used to carrying cookies or crackers around with them. I’m worried that me just being around those types of foods are somehow going to gluten me. I see crumbs  everywhere!!!  Does it work that way or am I being overly cautious? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heidirae Newbie

Hey there, I'm also celiac with young kids and it's such a unique challenge. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and if I had it all to do over again, I would have had the household go gluten free with me! I think there's a balance that has to be found if you choose, like me, to let the little ones keep the gluten-y goodness...in knowing that, yes, cross contamination is likely. My little one will have a pb&j and want a kiss and I'm like, well there's my gluten invasion for the day. I think you have to ask yourself too, if you can truly be successful in not eating gluten when it's in the house with you. It's quite tempting and it's a struggle I'm having myself, and has me considering an overhaul in my family's options. Anyways, all in all, I have to say yes you're likely getting contaminated. But you have to make that decision on whether just that little bit is ok to you, if that's what works best with your lifestyle...and what the alternative would honestly look like. Best of luck, mama!

Wheatwacked Veteran

Try Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free Heritage Style Honey White. It's not Wonder Bread but pretty good. Good taste and mouth feel. Keep it frozen. Nuke the frozen slices for a minute and let cool. It makes a nice sandwich. If you are Celiac there is a 44% chance that so is your little one but the symptoms are not recognized or passed off as normal.

Edited by Wheatwacked
huffalynn Rookie
11 hours ago, heidirae said:

Hey there, I'm also celiac with young kids and it's such a unique challenge. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and if I had it all to do over again, I would have had the household go gluten free with me! I think there's a balance that has to be found if you choose, like me, to let the little ones keep the gluten-y goodness...in knowing that, yes, cross contamination is likely. My little one will have a pb&j and want a kiss and I'm like, well there's my gluten invasion for the day. I think you have to ask yourself too, if you can truly be successful in not eating gluten when it's in the house with you. It's quite tempting and it's a struggle I'm having myself, and has me considering an overhaul in my family's options. Anyways, all in all, I have to say yes you're likely getting contaminated. But you have to make that decision on whether just that little bit is ok to you, if that's what works best with your lifestyle...and what the alternative would honestly look like. Best of luck, mama!

Thank  you! I am always tempted, but never give in 😂  I have read on here that just being around it, or it getting on your counter tops will gluten you. that's what I am more fearful of. this is a new lifestyle for my whole family. I feel like everyone is walking around on egg shells around my house. I over heard my husband fussing at my 12 year old because he left an oreo out on the counter "you know this will make mom sick" . I know he means well but this is exhausting and I don't want my kids to be scared they are going to kill me! 😢 I've tried to make my kitchen, all but one cabinet, gluten free, but then my husband uses a condiment that's not and he's like "what do I do with this plate, or knife?". I just don't have a clue.  🤷‍♀️ I don't see how anyone has a completely gluten free kitchen with children. 

10 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Try Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free Heritage Style Honey White. It's not Wonder Bread but pretty good. Good taste and mouth feel. Keep it frozen. Nuke the frozen slices for a minute and let cool. It makes a nice sandwich. If you are Celiac there is a 44% chance that so is your little one but the symptoms are not recognized or passed off as normal.

Thank you for the suggestion. i actually bought some the other day. Its in the freezer, I haven't tried it yet. 

heidirae Newbie
10 hours ago, huffalynn said:

Thank  you! I am always tempted, but never give in 😂  I have read on here that just being around it, or it getting on your counter tops will gluten you. that's what I am more fearful of. this is a new lifestyle for my whole family. I feel like everyone is walking around on egg shells around my house. I over heard my husband fussing at my 12 year old because he left an oreo out on the counter "you know this will make mom sick" . I know he means well but this is exhausting and I don't want my kids to be scared they are going to kill me! 😢 I've tried to make my kitchen, all but one cabinet, gluten free, but then my husband uses a condiment that's not and he's like "what do I do with this plate, or knife?". I just don't have a clue.  🤷‍♀️ I don't see how anyone has a completely gluten free kitchen with children. 

Honestly, it's a fair point-I don't think anyone can have a perfectly gluten free kitchen while there's still gluten in the house. That being said, it sounds like you're doing everything you can within reason! You sound like you have a very supportive family too which goes a long way! It's not like, to the best of my knowledge, we can absorb it through our skin so just being mindful to wash after you've handled their oreos and wiping down before you prep your stuff. We buy as much as possible that has a squeeze type dispenser (sour cream, jelly, etc) to minimize cross contamination, and my peanut butter is the single portion packs with the kids using the jarred stuff. I think the best we can work towards is setting up good systems so we don't really have to think about it, it's just easy and in place! Um, also, have you tried the gluten free oreos?! Life changing! 😅

Wheatwacked Veteran

People who keep kosher know how. Meat from milk or gluten from gluten free. They have to be even better because of their supervisor.

LovintheGFlife Contributor
23 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

@Wheatwacked that's a great suggestion. I have tried several gluten-free bread and bakery items from different manufacturers and can affirm that Canyon Bakehouse tastes the best. It's not exactly your regular wheat bread, but comes pretty close! Highly recommend this brand.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatwacked Veteran

What's nice is the Heritage style ends up the size of a real sandwich, not something made on melba toast.

Sabaarya Community Regular
On 3/22/2022 at 7:52 PM, Wheatwacked said:

I always put my bread in refrigerator? Is it goes bad?

Wheatwacked Veteran

My feeling is it comes frozen. Sometimes I don't touch it for weeks,