This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate
  1. Scott Adams

Scott Adams

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

AmyTaylor
    Newest Member
    AmyTaylor
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• glucel
      I have ingested 100 mcg of folic acid for many years but wised up and switched to folate about 3 months ago. I am now taking optimized b100 complex which includes folate 1240 mcg dfe (as 6s methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt, quatrefolic. Also get another 70 mcg from beef liver as well as whatever else from diet. I am not quite certain how much natural folate is safe as opposed to folic acid. Do the above description and amounts sound OK?
    • Wheatwacked
      I felt betrayed by the food I was eating,  I was angry at Agrobusiness.  Angry at myself because I blew off my son's doctor's recommendation in 1976 to go gluten free.  I was angry at the nutritional misinformation.  I actually became quite evangelistic about GFD.  My family banned me from mentioning wheat in their presence. High dose 10,000 IU Vitamin D and low dose 5 mg Lithium Orotate kept me grounded. It is not just a gluten free diet.  You also have to correct vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  Pretend like you moved to another country so you have to find new favorite foods.  There are built in deficiencies in the western diet that at times seems intentional.  Vitamin D, Choline, Iodine is deficient in the general diet.  Add in the deficiencies caused by the Celiac Disease malabsorption you suffered with unknowingly and the difficiency caused by avoiding foods.  Don;t forget the deficiencies caused by no longer eating processed gluten foods with their fortifiction.  Gluten free foods on not fortified.  You get what you eat. Oh, anger at the people and doctors who said there was nothing wrong, when I knew there was. From as early as ten years old.  Guess I showed them.  They are getting sicker and I am not.  I invite them to my 130 birthday party. Give yourself a break, you were told lies.  But let the anger turn into productivity. To quote the Grateful Dead: "What a long strange trip it's been" Your weight will stabilize at it's natural level.  I was kick sand in the face skinny as a kid.  150  pounds average through my 20's Then blew up to 185 from my 50's until I started GFD at 63. You have the oppurtunity to avoid what I suffered.  Check out old TV shows like "Ozzy and Harriet", "Leave it to Beaver", "Donna Reed Show".
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @sadiec123! A couple of questions. First, what is the biggest driver behind your food anger? Is it having to deny yourself foods that you used to enjoy or is it the social cost of needing to eat gluten free? By social cost, I mean do you feel left out or even resented by family/friends at social events or do you avoid social events because of the need to eat gluten free? Second, is the weight loss welcome or has it put you in an unhealthy physical state?
    • Wheatwacked
      Even if Gliadin G is excluded from your diagnostic standards, you still have symptoms caused by eating gluten.  Perhaps you have Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS).     NCGS is diagnosed by first eliminating Celiac Disease as the cause of your symptoms.  A Negative diagnosis for Celiac Disease.  Then showing symptom improvement while on a trial gluten free diet.  Next show the return of symptoms with return of glutin to your diet.  
    • sadiec123
      I am 22 and was diagnosed with celiac back in May 2024. It was discovered after a year worth of excruciating pain and I was in the ER 3 times within a two week span from abdominal pain that presented as appendicitis or pancreatic issues. The physical pain and discomfort took months to heal after going gluten-free ( still going) however I feel so mentally & emotionally out of touch with everything. I know having other stressors in my life can add to that of course but I lost a lot of weight because I just don't want to eat anymore. I am angry all the time with food and feel physically awful with my diet. Did/does anyone else have this experience? I am really unsure of what to do or how to go about anything even though it's just a gluten-free diet that's supposed to fix it.