This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Borderline Celiac Serology

Gershon

Gershon Newbie

Hi, my daughter was diagnosed with Borderline Celiac Serology. Can someone explain what does it mean?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
6 hours ago, Gershon said:

Hi, my daughter was diagnosed with Borderline Celiac Serology. Can someone explain what does it mean?

What tests were run to diagnose her condition? Can you post the test results along with reference ranges indicating what is negative and what is positive with regard to the standards used by that lab. Different labs use different standards.

Gershon Newbie

Hi, the tests were:

Transglutaminase IgA -83.8 U2mL

trents Grand Master
2 minutes ago, Gershon said:

Hi, the tests were:

Transglutaminase IgA -83.8 U2mL

But what is the reference range? The raw number does us no good unless we know what reference ranges the lab uses to determine negative/positive. I think I asked for that in the fist post.

Edited by trents
RMJ Mentor
8 hours ago, Gershon said:

Serology is results from a blood test.  Borderline probably means that her result was above the normal range, i.e. positive, but not way above. 

trents Grand Master

It would be nice to know the actual numbers though. I know in the UK they don't grant you celiac status (without further testing) until your antibody levels are 10x normal, which I think is an excessively high bar for all practical purposes.

Edited by trents
Russ H Community Regular
17 hours ago, trents said:

It would be nice to know the actual numbers though. I know in the UK they don't grant you celiac status (without further testing) until your antibody levels are 10x normal, which I think is an excessively high bar for all practical purposes.

The UK is slowly moving out of the Stone Age. The latest provisional guidelines, which were updated during the pandemic are here (prior to that, all adults had to undergo a biopsy):

https://www.bsg.org.uk/covid-19-advice/covid-19-specific-non-biopsy-protocol-guidance-for-those-with-suspected-coeliac-disease/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Parent of celiac teen Rookie
On 5/10/2022 at 1:00 AM, Gershon said:

4 hours ago, Russ314 said:

The UK is slowly moving out of the Stone Age. The latest provisional guidelines, which were updated during the pandemic are here (prior to that, all adults had to undergo a biopsy):

https://www.bsg.org.uk/covid-19-advice/covid-19-specific-non-biopsy-protocol-guidance-for-those-with-suspected-coeliac-disease/

It means her level of gluten antibodies are low. My teens number was four, which is considered low. Her doctor did an endoscopy with biopsy and it was discovered that she has Celiacs.  I would insist the doctor do the endoscopy  

(When a Celiac eats gluten their body has an autoimmune reaction and their body produces antibodies to fight off the gluten because their body sees gluten as something that needs to be "fought off".   The blood test measures for those antibodies.   It is the same thing when you come into contact with a virus and the body produces antibodies to fight off the virus)

trents Grand Master
4 hours ago, Russ314 said:

So what is the change? The chart indicates that adults 55 and over, with 10x or greater than normal levels of tTG-IGA, need to be referred to a GI doc for a gastroscopy before being given a celiac diagnosis. If anything, this seems to be a regression. Is there a change for younger people only, then?

C4Celiac Contributor
5 hours ago, Parent of celiac teen said:

My teens number was four, which is considered low.

was she actually having symptoms at #4?      0 - 3 is normal..

Russ H Community Regular
5 hours ago, trents said:

So what is the change? The chart indicates that adults 55 and over, with 10x or greater than normal levels of tTG-IGA, need to be referred to a GI doc for a gastroscopy before being given a celiac diagnosis. If anything, this seems to be a regression. Is there a change for younger people only, then?

Originally the guidelines required an endoscopy for all adults, this was raised to those aged 55 and over. The purpose of the endoscopy in older people is to check for abnormalities such as neoplasms rather than diagnosis of coeliac per se.

13 minutes ago, C4Celiac said:

13 minutes ago, C4Celiac said:

She was having severe symptoms.    Joint pain in her knees, shoulders, ankles and feet bad enough to wake her up at night.  Insomnia. Headaches several times a week. Stomach bloating and pain so bad she did not leave the house without antacids and gas pills. Severe fatigue. Brain fog which made learning difficlut.  Rashes.  Dry mouth. She missed a lot of school and saw many doctors who told her it was growing pains. I finally took her to a rheumatologist because the joint pain was so severe and she figured it out and did the blood test for Celiacs. Her number was four which is considered a low positive. We then saw a  gastroenterologist who did the endoscopy with biopsy and gave her the definitive diagnosis. She had severe damage to  the villi in her small intestine in some places which leads to malabsorption which leads to malnutrition which leads to the symptoms she had.  We saw a dietician who said a lot of doctors would not have done the endoscopy with a low number like so we were lucky to have such an awesome doctor.  

Russ H Community Regular
59 minutes ago, Parent of celiac teen said:

She was having severe symptoms.    Joint pain in her knees, shoulders, ankles and feet bad enough to wake her up at night.  Insomnia. Headaches several times a week. Stomach bloating and pain so bad she did not leave the house without antacids and gas pills. Severe fatigue. Brain fog which made learning difficlut.  Rashes.  Dry mouth. She missed a lot of school and saw many doctors who told her it was growing pains. I finally took her to a rheumatologist because the joint pain was so severe and she figured it out and did the blood test for Celiacs. Her number was four which is considered a low positive. We then saw a  gastroenterologist who did the endoscopy with biopsy and gave her the definitive diagnosis. She had severe damage to  the villi in her small intestine in some places which leads to malabsorption which leads to malnutrition which leads to the symptoms she had.  We saw a dietician who said a lot of doctors would not have done the endoscopy with a low number like so we were lucky to have such an awesome doctor.  

Well done for getting her diagnosed and sorted out. Many of the extra-gastrointestinal symptoms are caused by auto-antibodies, particularly regarding arthritis.

48 minutes ago, Russ314 said:

Well done for getting her diagnosed and sorted out. Many of the extra-gastrointestinal symptoms are caused by auto-antibodies, particularly regarding arthritis.

She thankfully does not have arthritis! Her joint pain has subsided.  The only symptom she has after 15 months gluten free is mild joint pain. Our house is 100% strict gluten free   Her antibodies were in the normal range after six months gluten free   We felt her health was too important to not make the whole house gluten-free 

trents Grand Master

Good decision. It is nearly impossible to avoid getting "glutened" unless the whole household goes gluten free.