This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

GliadinX available

PME

Parent of celiac teen Rookie
13 minutes ago, docaz said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! It means exactly what it says. Implying that this is designed to eat gluten freely is a baseless interpretation. The studies show that a small amount of gluten is digested but nowhere is that posted or advertised in conjunction with GliadinX. It is everywhere prominently posted that It is intended for possible cross-contamination and NOT for intentional gluten ingestion and that includes the mixed frier.

Reality is that everybody even if they worry, eats gluten knowingly or unknowingly. By telling people just keep doing what they are doing and maintain a gluten-free diet, is truly endangering them because almost 100% of people are exposed to gluten. I do not know what you read but the links that I posted are high quality research papers that clearly show that AN-PEP can break down gluten (and so do Latiglutenase by ImmunogenX, KumaMax by Takeda and Caricain by Gluteguard which are not on the US market yet) By adding GliadinX they they are adding a safety component. Advising against GliadinX is not protecting anybody against a "bad product" but truly removing an additional precaution and endangering people and encouraging them to continue being exposed to gluten. 

I actually do not understand why you would not celebrate the fact that there is something that allow to take at least some of the stress of dealing with gluten. I am not sure if you or your teen is gluten-free but I do have teens who are gluten-free and the social implications are enormous and reality is that they are constantly tested. Giving them a little extra wiggle room not to bring their own food wherever they go is a big deal. By posting such negativity, and ignoring the research that is presented you are not protecting but endangering because you basically ensure that they will be exposed to gluten. 

It is very simple, if you go to a restaurant and eat from the gluten-free menu or you go to grandma's holiday dinner you are taking a chance. You can choose not eat and bring your own food but that's not realistic for many. If you eat in such situations, you will for sure occasionally deal with cross-contamination. Now you have a choice to add a 50 cents GliadinX capsule for extra protection or not. If you do not, you will be for sure exposed to occasionally to gluten and if you do take a capsule all research shows that there is a good chance that it can be helpful. 

My intention is not to be negative. I did not imply that a person can take a pill and freely eat gluten.  I simply pointed to your statement that claims gluten is broken down before reaching the small intestine. My understanding of the research is that some gluten is broken down. Not all! This is what needs to be made clear so that people can make an informed decision.

I am not discouraging anyone from using this product. As I stated clearly, everyone should do their own research and then make their own decisions.  All of the other points you make about eating out and family dinners is a personal decision each person should make based on their own research. This is a forum for open discussion where everyone shares the information they have researched, I thought. It appears this has angered you so I will no longer comment on this topic as I have made my informed opinion clear, I believe. I respect your opinion on this topic. I simply disagree. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• docaz

• Scott Adams

• Parent of celiac teen

• PME

Top Posters In This Topic

• docaz

docaz 17 posts

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 9 posts

• Parent of celiac teen

Parent of celiac teen 8 posts

• PME

PME 7 posts

trents Grand Master
2 hours ago, Parent of celiac teen said:

If , as you stated , "Gliadin X helps ensure that even small amounts of gliadin do not make it to the small intestine"  then this supposes that a person can eat gluten and take GliadinX and the gluten protein will be broken down and not reach the small intestine. I think everyone needs to make their own decisions and do their own resewrch on this. But I believe if the statement which I quoted from you were true then that would mean people can eat gluten with no worries. It is , according to everthing I have read, not true. Nothing, as of now , can break down gluten when ingested.  I think that is not a message that should be conveyed on this forum where people are looking for help with managing this disease. 

Your argument is one based on logical extremes. That often is not valid.

Russ H Community Regular

I have been thinking that this product might be useful. In the UK, food is allowed to be labelled 'gluten free' if it contains less than 20 parts per million (ppm) of gluten - it can still contain gluten. The idea is that on a diverse diet, total consumption will be less than 10 mg of gluten: low enough not to trigger an immune response. However, it is still possible to consume significant amounts of gluten from 'gluten free' food. A prime example is beer. 'Gluten free' beers are batch tested to have less than 20 ppm and typically contain between 3 and 10 ppm gluten unless made with non-gluten grains such as sorghum. At 10 ppm, a British pint will contain about 6 mg gluten. Drinking 2 pints will put someone over 10 mg of gluten. Gliadin X might be enough to breakdown the small amount of gluten from the beer, especially if taken with food to slow the passage through the stomach.

docaz Collaborator
23 minutes ago, Russ314 said:

I have been thinking that this product might be useful. In the UK, food is allowed to be labelled 'gluten free' if it contains less than 20 parts per million (ppm) of gluten - it can still contain gluten. The idea is that on a diverse diet, total consumption will be less than 10 mg of gluten: low enough not to trigger an immune response. However, it is still possible to consume significant amounts of gluten from 'gluten free' food. A prime example is beer. 'Gluten free' beers are batch tested to have less than 20 ppm and typically contain between 3 and 10 ppm gluten unless made with non-gluten grains such as sorghum. At 10 ppm, a British pint will contain about 6 mg gluten. Drinking 2 pints will put someone over 10 mg of gluten. Gliadin X might be enough to breakdown the small amount of gluten from the beer, especially if taken with food to slow the passage through the stomach.

In some countries, gluten-removed beer can be called gluten-free but I do not know if that applies to the US. The active enzyme in GliadinX (AN-PEP) was first used to speed up the process of making beer clear. It is sold under the name Brewers Clarex. The scientist at DSM who developed the enzyme Luppo Edens realized that in order to make the beer clear, you need a bio catalyst that breaks down proline bindings and he also realized that the gliadin molecule has a lot of such bindings. He brought the idea of using that enzyme for celiac disease to the University of Leiden which is the closest to Delft (in the Netherlands) where DSM is headquartered. When my own children were diagnosed with celiac disease, I wanted to find out more about it and I had the privilege to meet the scientist and also Dr. Frits Koning who did the initial nasogastric gluten challenge research. Both are amazing people and I am very grateful for their work. It is unfortunate that only very recent their work is being more recognized but that might have something to do with the fact that clinicians were aware of the Nevaxx vaccine and put all other work on hold. Unfortunately, Nevaxx turned out not to work and now enzymatic degradation is being studied again a several reputable centers. 

This is the link to that beer brewing product. You can see, that they advertise the product for making gluten-free beer from gluten containing cereals. I am not sure if that's only for some countries and not for others but this one of Holland's largest company with 10 billion Euros yearly revenue and they have for sure done their legal homework. 

https://www.dsm.com/food-beverage/en_US/ingredients/beverages-and-brewing/brewing/brewers-clarex.html?wt.srch=1&wt.mc_id=GA-Branding&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IeUBhBbEiwADhiEMUwWjL3Pp3xlyvIYKRHSIzf4LEUwJUwELPVbN8EANOU9pOO0fslhPxoCGrUQAvD_BwE

Scott Adams Grand Master
On 5/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, Parent of celiac teen said:

If , as you stated , "Gliadin X helps ensure that even small amounts of gliadin do not make it to the small intestine"  then this supposes that a person can eat gluten and take GliadinX and the gluten protein will be broken down and not reach the small intestine. I think everyone needs to make their own decisions and do their own resewrch on this. But I believe if the statement which I quoted from you were true then that would mean people can eat gluten with no worries. It is , according to everthing I have read, not true. Nothing, as of now , can break down gluten when ingested.  I think that is not a message that should be conveyed on this forum where people are looking for help with managing this disease. 

It seems to me that you've not read the published scientific research studies that @docaz has shared in this thread, which describe in detail exactly what AN-PEP enzymes are capable of doing--which is breaking down small amounts of gluten in the stomach BEFORE it reaches your intestines and causes damage.

You acknowledge here that GliadinX might be capable of breaking down some of the gliadin, but your criticism is centered on the idea that it may not be able to break down ALL of it. Isn't it better to break down some of it instead of none of it, and if so, why not use it?

Again, we are talking about celiacs who may choose to eat in restaurants (I am one of them), or at a family or friend's house (I am one of them), and might end up regularly eating small amounts of gluten. You can also scale up how much you take, depending on the situation, without any serious side effects. This is a true story that really sold me on the idea of using these enzymes regularly when eating out:

Russ H Community Regular
3 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

It seems to me that you've not read the published scientific research studies that @docaz has shared in this thread, which describe in detail exactly what AN-PEP enzymes are capable of doing--which is breaking down small amounts of gluten in the stomach BEFORE it reaches your intestines and causes damage.

You seem to acknowledge here that GliadinX might be capable of breaking down some of the gliadin, but your criticism seems to be centered on the idea that it may not be able to break down ALL of it. Isn't it better to break down some of it instead of none of it, and if so, why not use it?

Again, we are talking about celiacs who may choose to eat in restaurants (I am one of them), or at a family or friend's house (I am one of them), and might end up regularly eating small amounts of gluten. You can also scale up how much you take, depending on the situation, without any serious side effects. This is a true story that really sold me on the idea of using these enzymes regularly when eating out:

It's easy to make a mistake. I had a spoonful of a new brand of gazpacho soup (the previous one was gluten free). Fortunately I tasted the bread immediately and spat it out before swallowing it.

Looks difficult to source in the UK, so would have to import from the US. I can't see a problem with customs beyond their exorbitant charges.

23 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

You acknowledge here that GliadinX might be capable of breaking down some of the gliadin, but your criticism is centered on the idea that it may not be able to break down ALL of it. Isn't it better to break down some of it instead of none of it, and if so, why not use it?

My comments refer to the statement "GiliadinX helps ensure that even small amounts of gliadin do not make it to the small imtestine"   All of the studies I have read state that NOTHING breaks down all gliadin before reaching the small intestine. That statement is false and there are those who may believe that statement and eat gluten freely.   I did not address the use of GiliadinX  for anyone who wishes to use it as it may help somewhat. I believe everyone needs to do their own research and make choices accordingly. But putting a statement like that on this forum is not safe, in my opinion, as it is false and Celiacs is too serious a disease to mislead people with such statements. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
13 minutes ago, Parent of celiac teen said:

My comments refer to the statement "GiliadinX helps ensure that even small amounts of gliadin do not make it to the small imtestine"   All of the studies I have read state that NOTHING breaks down all gliadin before reaching the small intestine. That statement is false and there are those who may believe that statement and eat gluten freely.   I did not address the use of GiliadinX  for anyone who wishes to use it as it may help somewhat. I believe everyone needs to do their own research and make choices accordingly. But putting a statement like that on this forum is not safe, in my opinion, as it is false and Celiacs is too serious a disease to mislead people with such statements. 

Yes, but if GliadinX breaks down enough of the traces of gluten found in CC scenarios such that there is less than enough left to cause a celiac reaction, then it has accomplished the purpose, has it not? Seems to me you are setting up a straw man argument based on the premise that GliadinX is guilty of misleading people who use the product outside of the intended parameters.

docaz Collaborator
2 minutes ago, Parent of celiac teen said:

The statement that NOTHING breaks down gliadin before reaching the small intestine is very, very false.

Just to add to all the papers that I posted before, this is a paper co-authored by the head of the GI department of the Mayo Clinic, Dr. Joseph Murray. His opinion is that enzymes can break down gluten in the stomach. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3788609/ Please read the section "Oral Enzyme Supplements"

docaz Collaborator
30 minutes ago, Parent of celiac teen said:

Please educate us and post a link to the studies that you read that state that NOTHING breaks down gluten. Please post studies and not someone's interpretation or opinion. 

RMJ Mentor

I think I see the wording in two sentences that is causing the arguments here, I hope no one minds if I try to “referee”:

“Nothing breaks down all gliadin before reaching the small intestine.”

“GliadinX helps ensure that even small amounts of gliadin do not make it to the small intestine.”

In the first sentence, the crucial word is “all”, and if that word is included the statement is probably true. From the papers I’ve seen recently, GliadinX can break down a significant amount of gliadin, I think 80-90+%?  I for one am extremely happy to have the option to have a significant amount broken down if I must eat outside my home, for example when I visit my father in the facility where he lives.

In the second sentence, the crucial phrase is “even small amounts” which unfortunately does sound like a claim that GliadinX can stop all, even small amounts, of gluten from reaching the small intestine.  Having read @docaz ‘s posts for several years I would say this was just an unfortunate choice of words and that he probably did not mean to imply that it would break down 100% of gliadin.  Again, breaking down most of the small amounts of gliadin contaminating a supposedly gluten-free meal  can be extremely helpful.

I’ve seen publications where authors seem to feel that if something doesn’t take care of 100% of gluten in a gluten-laden meal that it’s useless. I disagree.  I’m very happy to have an option to take care of most gluten contamination in a supposedly gluten-free meal.

PME Explorer
8 minutes ago, RMJ said:

I think I see the wording in two sentences that is causing the arguments here, I hope no one minds if I try to “referee”:

“GliadinX helps ensure that even small amounts of gliadin do not make it to the small intestine.”

In the first sentence, the crucial word is “all”, and if that word is included the statement is probably true. From the papers I’ve seen recently, GliadinX can break down a significant amount of gliadin, I think 80-90+%?  I for one am extremely happy to have the option to have a significant amount broken down if I must eat outside my home, for example when I visit my father in the facility where he lives.

In the second sentence, the crucial phrase is “even small amounts” which unfortunately does sound like a claim that GliadinX can stop all, even small amounts, of gluten from reaching the small intestine.  Having read @docaz ‘s posts for several years I would say this was just an unfortunate choice of words and that he probably did not mean to imply that it would break down 100% of gliadin.  Again, breaking down most of the small amounts of gliadin contaminating a supposedly gluten-free meal  can be extremely helpful.

I’ve seen publications where authors seem to feel that if something doesn’t take care of 100% of gluten in a gluten-laden meal that it’s useless. I disagree.  I’m very happy to have an option to take care of most gluten contamination in a supposedly gluten-free meal.

Thanks for pointing out this distinction! 

docaz Collaborator
13 minutes ago, RMJ said:

You are good mediator. I really do not like to get into arguments but the accusations of false and misleading statements that should not be on this site are harsh and  suggest intentional deception.

I can see that what I wrote could be misinterpreted. My point was that even small amounts of gluten need to be addressed even it is not 100% it is enough to prevent an inflammatory reaction.  I had in mind the statement from the Dr. Murray's paper can possibly prevent inflammation. This is the quote from that paper "In vitro studies have also shown that ANPEP eliminates the ability of gluten to stimulate T cells [18]." (T cells are a type of inflammatory cells)

On a completely separate note, recent studies have shown that certain cytokines can be measured in blood within 2 hours after gluten ingestion. That's a huge deal because gluten challenge studies usually take weeks and months until the results can be measured in the blood. I think that this knowledge will help to do studies that are safer because the gluten challenge is reduced and cytokines will help us understanding much sooner what works and what does not. I am planning to find a reputable research center to do such a study. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335049285_Cytokine_release_and_gastrointestinal_symptoms_after_gluten_challenge_in_celiac_disease

11 hours ago, docaz said:

Please educate us and post a link to the studies that you read that state that NOTHING breaks down gluten. Please post studies and not someone's interpretation or opinion. 

NOTHING breaks down ALL gluten. This is the ONLY point I was making.   If something broke down all gluten there would be celiacs dancing with glee!  That is fact !

docaz Collaborator
12 minutes ago, Parent of celiac teen said:

NOTHING breaks down ALL gluten. This is the ONLY point I was making.   If something broke down all gluten there would be celiacs dancing with glee!  That is fact !

Given the serious problem that we are dealing with, I think that we should dance with glee for every little step we are making forwards including breaking down most of the gliadin and thus eliminating or at least lowering inflammation until we will get to something that will be a real cure. Are we now in agreement that at least SOME gliadin is broken down and that it would be helpful for hidden minor cross-contamination? That would be a good first step. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

I started taking GliadinX back in 2017 before any meal I eat outside my home, and I can say that I haven't had any known contamination issues since. Before that I used to notice issues 25-30% of the time that I ate out. I think AN-PEP is the most significant thing to come along since I started this site, way back in 1995. 

From what I've read about other possible prescription treatments that are taking the FDA approval route, most of them are also not designed to allow celiacs to consume gluten normally again, but are focused on dealing with the reduction of symptoms/inflammation that can be ongoing for those with celiac disease, which is often caused by diets that are not 100% gluten-free.

PME Explorer
59 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

I started taking GliadinX back in 2017 before any meal I eat outside my home, and I can say that I haven't had any known contamination issues since. Before that I used to notice issues 25-30% of the time that I ate out. I think AN-PEP is the most significant thing to come along since I started this site, way back in 1995. 

From what I've read about other possible prescription treatments that are taking the FDA approval route, most of them are also not designed to allow celiacs to consume gluten normally again, but are focused on dealing with the reduction of symptoms/inflammation that can be ongoing for those with celiac disease, which is often caused by diets that are not 100% gluten-free.

Hey Scott, I'm pretty much a newbie here who was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I am not "visibly" symptomatic following gluten consumption, but I am now in osteoporosis, so for me (and I presume others like me), the damage is being done "silently." I'm wondering if there are statistics as to the percentage of Celiac-positives who are, on the surface, asymptomatic, and whether any research is being done comparing the two groups.  I'm grateful to not be suffering GI symptoms when exposed (as so many do), but I wish there was a way to KNOW when accidental gluten exposure has happened. (Protecting against such exposure is my primary reason for hoping to take GliadinX, albeit blindly, when I'm dining outside my home.)

RMJ Mentor
27 minutes ago, PME said:

Hey Scott, I'm pretty much a newbie here who was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I am not "visibly" symptomatic following gluten consumption, but I am now in osteoporosis, so for me (and I presume others like me), the damage is being done "silently." I'm wondering if there are statistics as to the percentage of Celiac-positives who are, on the surface, asymptomatic, and whether any research is being done comparing the two groups.  I'm grateful to not be suffering GI symptoms when exposed (as so many do), but I wish there was a way to KNOW when accidental gluten exposure has happened. (Protecting against such exposure is my primary reason for hoping to take GliadinX, albeit blindly, when I'm dining outside my home.)

PME, I’m also a silent celiac. The only way I know for sure if I’ve had exposure is my once a year celiac antibody tests.  

Scott Adams Grand Master
57 minutes ago, PME said:

I agree with @RMJ, and I think the important thing about using AN-PEP is to understand that it isn't a replacement for being careful, nor is it designed to allow you to cheat on your diet. I had already decided that I wasn't going to stop doing something that I loved, which is travelling and eating outside my home--usually at restaurants or friend's houses--but I simply have added this to my routine whenever I do this. I am just as careful now about gluten as I ever was before I began using AN-PEP. Some celiacs decide to never eat out again, and thus may not need it. That is their choice, and I do not criticize them for it.

Most of the criticism I see around AN-PEP stems from the misplaced idea that it may encourage some people to eat more gluten, or take more risks. I saw a recent survey from Spain that indicated that 1/3 of celiacs in Spain regularly cheat on their diets--and I suspect that a similar number around the world also cheat (we did surveys 15-20 years ago that indicated at least 25% cheat on their diets). I would never encourage cheating, but if you are in this large group that does cheat, I would highly recommend that they take several AN-PEP capsules beforehand. Of course it may not eliminate all of the gliadin/gluten that they consume, but it will still help to some extent, and it certainly won't hurt them.

Jays911 Contributor
On 5/11/2022 at 4:40 PM, Scott Adams said:

Please share any studies that show that it does not work. There have been multiple studies done on AN-PEP at this point, and all are linked to from their site:

https://www.gliadinx.com/publications

I've gone through each and they do support it breaking small amounts of gliadin down in the stomach.

Thanks. Just got some and going to try it. Just had an endoscopy, and it showed I have largely healed. But I get cross-contaminated often when I eat out. If this helps, I will be happy. 

PME Explorer
4 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I agree with @RMJ, and I think the important thing about using AN-PEP is to understand that it isn't a replacement for being careful, nor is it designed to allow you to cheat on your diet. I had already decided that I wasn't going to stop doing something that I loved, which is travelling and eating outside my home--usually at restaurants or friend's houses--but I simply have added this to my routine whenever I do this. I am just as careful now about gluten as I ever was before I began using AN-PEP. Some celiacs decide to never eat out again, and thus may not need it. That is their choice, and I do not criticize them for it.

Most of the criticism I see around AN-PEP stems from the misplaced idea that it may encourage some people to eat more gluten, or take more risks. I saw a recent survey from Spain that indicated that 1/3 of celiacs in Spain regularly cheat on their diets--and I suspect that a similar number around the world also cheat (we did surveys 15-20 years ago that indicated at least 25% cheat on their diets). I would never encourage cheating, but if you are in this large group that does cheat, I would highly recommend that they take several AN-PEP capsules beforehand. Of course it may not eliminate all of the gliadin/gluten that they consume, but it will still help to some extent, and it certainly won't hurt them.

@Scott Adams, how do you determine how many capsules to take, and how far in advance of consumption do you take them? Going to a community barbecue in a couple days and even though I will be as vigilant as I always am, I am planning to take GliadinX to hopefully mitigate accidental gluten ingestion. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

@docaz may have a better answer to this question, but in my case I take 2 after the first few bites of any restaurant of outside food that I eat, and this has worked for me over multiple years. I have also taken up to 4 at a time once after learning that a pate appetizer that I ate at a friend's house had gluten in it (rather than actually checking its ingredients they just assumed that it must be gluten-free...but I looked at its label later and discovered otherwise--luckily I took 2 when I began eating, and 2 more after I discovered this). I ended up not having any symptoms. I don't notice any negative side effects whether I take 1, 2 or 4.

In the case of my mother who accidentally ate 2 or 3 bites of regular gluten pumpkin pie at a Thanksgiving dinner at my house several years back, I gave her 3 right away, which she took within a few minutes. I later learned that she took an additional one later that night, so she took 4 in total. She's very sensitive, and this normally would have ruined her entire trip for the last few days she was here, but she literally had zero symptoms that night, and none over the next few days. This incident is what made me (and my mother) stick to using it whenever I eat outside my home, as I was doing it sporadically before then.

docaz Collaborator
20 hours ago, PME said:

@Scott Adams, how do you determine how many capsules to take, and how far in advance of consumption do you take them? Going to a community barbecue in a couple days and even though I will be as vigilant as I always am, I am planning to take GliadinX to hopefully mitigate accidental gluten ingestion. 

The most common situation is when shared utensils are not adequately cleaned and in that case one capsule is enough.

If you find out that you have accidentally eaten gluten after the fact then please take GliadinX as soon as possibly and preferably within 30-90 minutes while the food bolus is still in the stomach. In vivo and in vitro studies have shown that GliadinX can break down about 1/8 to 1/3 slices of bread. (A researcher at the University of Chicago says 1/8 and the Dutch team who worked on the product determined that it is about 1/3 slice.) I have purposely maximized the concentration even if it is a little more expensive and also adjusted the acidity to further boost the effect to allow also for accidental consumption of gluten. We all know that it just happens but I emphasize here accidental and not intentional. This is not a hint or encouragement to eat gluten but it means exactly what it says.

Please use the chart on this page to determine the amount of capsules https://www.gliadinx.com/instructions

Beyond that time frame, GliadinX will not help anymore because it is only effective in the stomach together with the naturally occurring stomach enzymes.

Russ H Community Regular
1 hour ago, docaz said:

Beyond that time frame, GliadinX will not help anymore because it is only effective in the stomach together with the naturally occurring stomach enzymes.

So it works mainly at low pH, and once through to the duodenum has little activity? Would it be possible to combine it with another enzyme for activity at higher pH? Do the pancreatic proteases attack it?

docaz Collaborator
2 hours ago, Russ314 said:

So it works mainly at low pH, and once through to the duodenum has little activity? Would it be possible to combine it with another enzyme for activity at higher pH? Do the pancreatic proteases attack it?

Indeed, unlike other enzymes which are not resistant to acidic environment, GliadinX works best in a low pH and this is what makes it so ideal for breaking down gluten.  It actually does not work by itself but in combination naturally occurring enzymes in the stomach because AN-PEP breaks down the proline bindings but the naturally occurring enzymes such as pepsin break down the resulting fragments into even smaller chains. Adding another enzyme would not allow it to work at a higher pH. When enzymes work together, each one has to have an environment that it appropriate for function. 

That said, the pH or the pancreatic  proteases are not really the reason why gliadin has to be digested before it enters the small intestine.

The stomach functions completely different than the small intestine. It is a little bit like a washing machine where the food and the enzymes are mixed together for a certain amount of time. Gliadin is not broken down by the natural enzymes and AN-PEP (GliadinX) artificially takes over that function. This "washing machine cycle" allows the enzymes to break down food and also gives AN-PEP time to break down gliadin before that mixture get released through the pyloric valve into the small intestine.

The intestines have a completely different function and they mainly extract the nutrients from the food by pushing the bolus through and making contact with the intestinal wall. There is still digestion going on but it is different than in the stomach. In celiac patients, once the gliadin enters the small intestine it is too late to break it down because at that point regardless if it can be digested or not, gliadin will come in contact and leak into the intestinal wall and create inflammation and that's the main reason why gliadin has to be digested before it released through the pyloric valve.