This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood work- can you help me make sense of this?

samden

samden Newbie

Hello, 

I was recently shocked by my bloodwork results and I don't really know where to start!  I am meeting with my rheumatologist next week but it took me 6 months to get my initial appointment.  I am feeling awful and am worried about needing to wait months and months to get a diagnosis. 

My celiac panel results are: 

Deamidated Gliadin Abs IGA - 39 (positive)

Deamidated Gliadin ABS IGG- 13 (negative)

TTG IGA- 12 (high)

TTG IGG- 12 (high)

My symptoms include joint pain, headaches, diarrhea, mouth sores, depression, anxiety.    What are the chances I have Celiac?  Is it basically a done deal or do people just sometimes have these positive markers?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

samden, welcome to the forum!

There are some other medical conditions that can cause elevated tTG counts but by far the most likely cause is celiac disease. The centerpiece of the celiac blood panel is the tTG-IgA which has both good specificity and good sensitivity. And yours is high. Do you have access to the reference ranges for negative vs. positive? The raw number you gave is not very useful without something to compare it to. Your symptoms are certainly those found in the celiac community and most of them are likely related to the vitamin and mineral deficiencies that go along with celiac disease. Celiac disease damages the villi that line the duodenum where all of our nutrition is absorbed.

If your doctor is planning further testing you need to keep eating regular amounts of gluten or else you will invalidate the testing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Drewy
    Newest Member
    Drewy
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Drewy
      Yes, but I also have separated gluten-free and gluten foods in the kitchen but they don't seem to respect it. Especially my brother. We have two jam jars one with a large red sticker and one large green one.  Red is gluten, Green is gluten-free. It's the same with yogurt. He'll intentionally put granola in my yogurt and mix it then dump it out and leave contaminated yogurt in my container and I eat it and have a reaction. Then there's my father, he's better but he doesn't read ingredients or gluten-free scanner apps till after it gives me a reaction  I'm 17. I can cook my own meals but I go to school 3 days a week, and work 4 days a week.  No I'm not usually the one making meals but lately I've been staying up late to make myself gluten-free meals 
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, Drewy! So help me understand about the Tacos and "trying to keep my gluten free food from my dad and brothers gluten food." When you say, "keep my gluten free food" from them, do you mean they take your gluten free food items and then use them to make meals that also us gluten things? So, for instance, they would make taco meet or salsa that contained gluten but use your gluten free taco shells to put that stuff in? May we ask your age? May we assume you are not the one who is usually fixing the meals in the house?
    • Drewy
      I've been trying my best to keep my gluten-free food from my dad and brother's gluten food but it's like they don't care. I just had what was supposed to be gluten free tacos but I'm curled up in pain. This isn't the first time either. I've stopped eating meals I haven't prepared because I'm scared I'll eat gluten and I'm scared my family doesn't care. They want to eat what they've always eaten and they don't want to even try and make the switch. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice?
    • Scott Adams
      For you it sounds like this will be the case, but no two celiac diets are alike, and there is no "one size fits all" in this case. Another examples is how some celiacs choose to eat out at restaurants, while others never will.  
    • Richwhitelady
      So in essence it's really not safe because we have no idea what the manufacturers are doing in my opinion.