This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling sick all the time ?

Liam R

Rogol72 Collaborator
6 hours ago, LCAnacortes said:

My daughter had an MRI and they saw a bubble in her system.  I had a colonoscopy and it was super uncomfortable when they got all of the way up there - so was wondering if I have/had a bubble too.  Could that be caused by gluten? An interesting thought

Yes! I've experimented a lot with different foods, supplements to see what does and does not work for me. I brought up the hiatus hernia discussion because A) Liam R reduced his from 6cm to 2cm which was a great result and B ) My gastroenterologist previously stated that they can go away sometimes ... not so sure about that, a discussion for another time.

From my experience, any sort of inflammation caused by food whether you are Coeliac or not will cause pressure and exacerbate a hiatus hernia, bacterial imbalance in either the large or small intestine SIBO, H. Pylori, bloating etc . will exacerbate. Some alternative practitioners can manipulate the stomach in the normal position, which will give temporary relief. We often don't or forget to think about the mechanics of how our internal organs move about and how this impacts a hiatus hernia. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LCAnacortes Enthusiast

I also had pain in my diaphragm area and that went away when I stopped eating gluten.  So much of the stuff going on with me now makes sense. I am so grateful for this board. Thank you and thank you to all of the wise members found here. 💜 

Beverage Rising Star

I had a lot of acid reflux issues before I was diagnosed with Celiacs, and they lingered on for quite awhile even after going gluten free.  Things in this article really helped me:  https://drjockers.com/hiatal-hernia/

especially:

1. raising head end of bed a little by putting on 2 pieces of wood

2. the heel thumping exercise when any bad symptoms ("warm water fix")

3. drinking about a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar before any meal with protein

Also, after larger meals, I chew two DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice) tablets, they coat and sooth, they don't reduce acid

Liam R Apprentice

Update..............

So i had my follow up with my gastro dr yesterday for the results of my endoscopy and my 11 biopsies.

He was happy to tell me that all was clear and  the villi had healed to normal hooray.

He wasnt concerned about bile or gastritis he said yeah the stomach does look red but is not inflamed so bile reflux or gastritis is not the cause of my ongoing stomach issues,

He gave me the diagnosis of funtional dyspepsia which in my opinion is worser than not finding anything to treat as there isnt a treatment plan just rather a management of the condition 

He said dyspepsia is not commonly seen along with celiac and couldn't really give me a reason to why i have developed this condition maybe the sress of the celiac diagnosis? Who knows ? 

He described it as similar to IBS but in the upper GI 

I have done some research on this subject and there doesnt seem to be a lot out there 

So i might start another thread 🤔 

Has anyone else got or had this condition ?

I really want this to go away 😩 

C4Celiac Contributor
2 hours ago, Liam R said:

He was happy to tell me that all was clear and  the villi had healed to normal hooray.

did you gain back any weight ?

Rogol72 Collaborator
3 hours ago, Liam R said:

Update..............

So i had my follow up with my gastro dr yesterday for the results of my endoscopy and my 11 biopsies.

He wasnt concerned about bile or gastritis he said yeah the stomach does look red but is not inflamed so bile reflux or gastritis is not the cause of my ongoing stomach issues,

He gave me the diagnosis of funtional dyspepsia which in my opinion is worser than not finding anything to treat as there isnt a treatment plan just rather a management of the condition 

He said dyspepsia is not commonly seen along with celiac and couldn't really give me a reason to why i have developed this condition maybe the sress of the celiac diagnosis? Who knows ? 

He described it as similar to IBS but in the upper GI 

I have done some research on this subject and there doesnt seem to be a lot out there 

So i might start another thread 🤔 

Has anyone else got or had this condition ?

I really want this to go away 😩 

Hey Liam R,

Yes, I had dyspepsia a few years ago and managed to fix all my issues by myself through research and with the help of a functional nutritionist who is also a qualified nurse. She prescribed me some herbal remedies which really worked. I was having some acid reflux issues, went for an endoscopy and the doctor diagnosed dyspepsia, with some stomach inflammation which they didn't bat an eyelid at! He prescribed Omeprazole and sent me on my way! I managed to get off it as soon as I could. Your dyspepsia may be a result of SIBO or something in your diet that you've developed a sensitivity to. 

Send me a DM if you want more details.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Liam R Apprentice
53 minutes ago, C4Celiac said:

did you gain back any weight ?

Im currently 2 stone lighter now than i was before celiac DX, im 13.8 dow from 16.0

I was pretty big but athletic 

Im 6.2 tall and hate being under weight 

After i can hopefully sort this dyspepsia issue out my last goal will be to get a comfortable weight that i feel happy at. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatwacked Veteran
7 hours ago, Liam R said:

Just an educated guess but your dyspepsia is from Choline deficiency. If you can get blood tests for vitamim D, homocysteine, vitamin B12, b6, Folate it would be helpful. There is no test for Choline deficiency. Eat eggs and meat or take a Phosphotidly Choline pill. Could we be overlooking a potential choline crisis in the United Kingdom?

"Core tip: Dyspepsia is classified as a chronic abdominal pain-related functional disorder that affects almost 40% of the population. It can be also a manifestation of celiac disease, an immuno-mediated enteropathy, caused by the ingestion of gluten in genetically predisposed patients." Dyspepsia and celiac disease: Prevalence, diagnostic tools and therapy

Your doctor is wrong. It is number 21 of 58 on the second list below.

Other Celiac Disease symptoms that the general medical communities and the world in general are in denial:

Signs and Symptoms of Celiac Disease  from What Are the Symptoms of Celiac Disease? by Scott Adams

1. Abdominal cramps, gas and bloating
  2. Acne
  3. Anemia
  4. Ataxia (gluten ataxia)
  5. Borborygmi—stomach rumbling
  6. Coetaneous bleeding
  7. Delayed puberty
  8. Dental enamel defects
  9. Diarrhea
  10. Dry skin
  11. Easy bruising
  12. Epistaxis—nose bleeds
  13. Eczema
  14. Failure to thrive or short stature
  15. Fatigue or general weakness
  16. Flatulence
  17. Fluid retention
  18. Folic acid deficiency
  19. Foul-smelling yellow or grayish stools that are often fatty or oily
  20. Gastrointestinal symptoms
  21. Gastrointestinal hemorrhage
  22. General malaise, feeling unwell
  23. Hematuria—red urine
  24. Hypocalcaemia/hypomagnesaemia
  25. Infertility, or recurrent miscarriage
  26. Iron deficiency anemia
  27. Joint Pain
  28. Lymphocytic gastritis
  29. Malabsorption
  30. Malnutrition
  31. Muscle weakness
  32. Muscle wasting
  33. Nausea
  34. Obesity/Overweight
  35. Osteoporosis
  36. Pallor—pale, unhealthy appearance
  37. Panic Attacks
  38. Peripheral neuropathy
  39. Psychiatric disorders such as anxiety and depression
  40. Skin Problems—acne, eczema, DH, dry skin 
  41. Stunted growth in children
  42. Underweight
  43. Vertigo
  44. Vitamin A deficiency
  45. Vitamin B6 deficiency
  46. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  47. Vitamin D deficiency
  48. Vitamin K deficiency
  49. Vomiting
  50. Voracious appetite
  51. Weight loss
  52. Zinc deficiency

Conditions Associated with Celiac Disease

People with one or more of these associated conditions are at higher risk for celiac disease:

1. Addison's Disease 
  2. Anemia 
  3. Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia 
  4. Arthritis 
  5. Asthma 
  6. Ataxia, Nerve Disease, Neuropathy, Brain Damage 
  7. Attention Deficit Disorder 
  8. Autism 
  9. Bacterial Overgrowth 
  10. Cancer, Lymphoma 
  11. Candida Albicans 
  12. Canker Sores—Aphthous Stomatitis) 
  13. Casein / Cows Milk Intolerance 
  14. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 
  15. Cognitive Impairment 
  16. Crohn's Disease 
  17. Depression 
  18. Dermatitis Herpetiformis
  19. Diabetes 
  20. Down Syndrome 
  21. Dyspepsia, Acid Reflux
  22. Eczema
  23. Epilepsy 
  24. Eye Problems, Cataract 
  25. Fertility, Pregnancy, Miscarriage 
  26. Fibromyalgia 
  27. Flatulence—Gas 
  28. Gall Bladder Disease 
  29. Gastrointestinal Bleeding 
  30. Geographic Tongue—Glossitis 
  31. Growth Hormone Deficiency 
  32. Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
  33. Heart Failure 
  34. Infertility, Impotency 
  35. Inflammatory Bowel Disease 
  36. Intestinal Permeability 
  37. Irritable Bowel Syndrome 
  38. Kidney Disease 
  39. Liver and biliary tract disorders (transaminitis, fatty liver, primary sclerosing cholangitis, etc.)
  40. Low bone density
  41. Lupus 
  42. Malnutrition, Body Mass Index 
  43. Migraine Headaches 
  44. Multiple Sclerosis 
  45. Myasthenia Gravis Celiac Disease
  46. Obesity, Overweight 
  47. Osteopenia, osteoporosis, osteomalacia 
  48. Psoriasis 
  49. Refractory Celiac Disease & Collagenous Sprue
  50. Sarcoidosis 
  51. Scleroderma 
  52. Schizophrenia / Mental Problems 
  53. Sepsis 
  54. Sjogrens Syndrome 
  55. Sleep Disorders 
  56. Thrombocytopenic Purpura 
  57. Thyroid & Pancreatic Disorders 
  58. Tuberculosis 
Edited by Wheatwacked
cristiana Veteran

Hi Liam

I am sorry as I don't have time to read through your post properly but hopefully some of this might help.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2013 but it took an absolute age (this year in fact) for my blood test (tTG) to go down to normal levels.  Still to this day I have no idea why, I was v. careful, stopped eating out etc etc.  Anyway, congratulations on getting to single figures so fast!

Now, as to your feeling sick all the time.   I wonder if it is gastritis?

I get what I believe to be gastritis from time to time, which primarily gives me a burning stomach, but occasionally it can make me feel very nauseous, and I list below what I think are possible causes:

• eating oats, event the gluten-free ones - although since this year I seem to be able to eat them again (finally!)
  • drinking tea or iced tea (makes me feel sick if I have it on an empty stomach)
  • eating too much fatty food (like too much cake, for example, if it is my birthday - I'll wake up in the early hours or first thing in the morning feeling nauseous)
  • trace amounts of gluten, and obviously, full-on glutening
  • alcohol
  • some supplements - such as iron and magnesium (on an empty stomach)
  • leaving too long between meals, or irregular mealtimes.

I don't know if you have already tried it, but perhaps you could try a gastritis diet for a few weeks (there are several on the web). 

Also, perhaps a short course of omeprazole (a few days) might help.   I take it but I don't take it all the time, I'll probably get through a packet of 30 a year, but I do find if I'm beginning to get that burning stomach and nauseous feeling it can really nip things in the bud.

There is a long thread that might interest you (below) with some tips that helped when I was going through a bad stretch of gastritis a while back.  

Chicken, potato and carrots slow cooked for about 4 hours was a fantastic meal that really calmed things down.  Also, I try not  to eat too late at night - although oddly the odd shortbread biscuit helps settle my stomach if I was very hungry before bedtime.  Chamomile tea was calming, too.  Avoid coffee (or really limit how much you drink and add loads of water!)

In your shoes I think I'd be tempted to keep a food diary to see if there is something that is making any of this worse.  Make sure you put down when you eat,  what else you were doing that day to see if some sort of pattern is emerging.

C4Celiac Contributor

so you haven't gained any weight even though your villi are all healed?

Liam R Apprentice
18 minutes ago, C4Celiac said:

so you haven't gained any weight even though your villi are all healed?

Beleive it or not i dont own a set of weighing scales so i havnt kept a record only when i get weighed at he Drs

All I know is i havent fully bounced back to my original weight, may be i was overweight at DX and now with the diet change i am at the weight i should be ? 

Who knows ? 

But a lot of people have commented how much weight i have lost lately,  its not something i am comfortable with 

C4Celiac Contributor

I lost like 10 pounds after it all started..   almost 2 years later I still haven't gained my original weight back..   I gained maybe 3 pounds back

cristiana Veteran
3 hours ago, Liam R said:

Beleive it or not i dont own a set of weighing scales so i havnt kept a record only when i get weighed at he Drs

All I know is i havent fully bounced back to my original weight, may be i was overweight at DX and now with the diet change i am at the weight i should be ? 

Who knows ? 

But a lot of people have commented how much weight i have lost lately,  its not something i am comfortable with 

Hi Liam

I may be wrong because I don't know all your details but I've just put your current weight and height into the BMI calculator the NHS provide online (I made up your age, level of physical activity etc ... because I don't know all those details) and it comes out with the result that your weight is now in the healthy range.

Is it possible that although people are commenting on your weight loss, and you feel uncomfortable at that current weight, you are actually in a good place.  And where you were before you were perhaps even a little overweight, despite being athletic? 

Give this calculator a try, with your old and new weight:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

As regards losing weight with coeliac disease, it troubled me for a long time as it just seemed to just keep coming down, and continued to do so for a while after adopting a gluten-free diet.   I went down from about 10.8  stone to 9.9 stone in a matter of a few months.  During that time I too received lots of comments about it, ranging from the worried "You've lost weight, are you OK?"  (from an elderly acquaintance) to "You've lost weight, but you needed to" (from my very honest mother, who knew me as a skinny teenager and felt I had put on too much weight with my second pregnancy - she was right on that last point!)

I must admit, I didn't enjoy being slim at the time because I was so worried that there was something other than coeliac disease going on that the doctors hadn't found yet.  But the truth was it was purely coeliac disease that caused this weight loss, nothing else.   Yes, it took a while for the weight to come back on: initially it was because I was still healing, so I still had digestive issues and wasn't absorbing things well; then as I was recovering it was because I was still on a very restricted diet, and was unsure what to eat.  But once I found the things I could tolerate well and discovered all the naughty calorie rich treats in the gluten-free aisle, it piled back on!  

If you are feeling sick all the time, you will not want to eat lots anyway and that will get in the way of putting on weight.  When I get gastritis I usually lose weight because it affects my appetite, and also eating small regular low fat meals (which for me is part of the cure) has that effect too.   But once the gastritis is better, I am able to resume normal eating again and the weight goes up again, and very quickly.  In fact, too quickly. (I'm on a diet now trying to get back to some semblance of slimness before the summer holiday!)

Cristiana

Edited by cristiana
Liam R Apprentice
12 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Hi Liam

I may be wrong because I don't know all your details but I've just put your current weight and height into the BMI calculator the NHS provide online (I made up your age, level of physical activity etc ... because I don't know all those details) and it comes out with the result that your weight is now in the healthy range.

Is it possible that although people are commenting on your weight loss, and you feel uncomfortable at that current weight, you are actually in a good place.  And where you were before you were perhaps even a little overweight, despite being athletic? 

Give this calculator a try, with your old and new weight:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/

As regards losing weight with coeliac disease, it troubled me for a long time as it just seemed to just keep coming down, and continued to do so for a while after adopting a gluten-free diet.   I went down from about 10.8  stone to 9.9 stone in a matter of a few months.  During that time I too received lots of comments about it, ranging from the worried "You've lost weight, are you OK?"  (from an elderly acquaintance) to "You've lost weight, but you needed to" (from my very honest mother, who knew me as a skinny teenager and felt I had put on too much weight with my second pregnancy - she was right on that last point!)

I must admit, I didn't enjoy being slim at the time because I was so worried that there was something other than coeliac disease going on that the doctors hadn't found yet.  But the truth was it was purely coeliac disease that caused this weight loss, nothing else.   Yes, it took a while for the weight to come back on: initially it was because I was still healing, so I still had digestive issues and wasn't absorbing things well; then as I was recovering it was because I was still on a very restricted diet, and was unsure what to eat.  But once I found the things I could tolerate well and discovered all the naughty calorie rich treats in the gluten-free aisle, it piled back on!  

If you are feeling sick all the time, you will not want to eat lots anyway and that will get in the way of putting on weight.  When I get gastritis I usually lose weight because it affects my appetite, and also eating small regular low fat meals (which for me is part of the cure) has that effect too.   But once the gastritis is better, I am able to resume normal eating again and the weight goes up again, and very quickly.  In fact, too quickly. (I'm on a diet now trying to get back to some semblance of slimness before the summer holiday!)

Cristiana

Hi Christina,

I definitely think there is an element of being overweight at the time of diagnosis,  and when one is still having ongoing symptoms and the weight is dropping off i think its only natural to be worried, ( i am a worrier )

I think we all worry and think the worst when it comes to weight loss

Thank you and everyone else for your supportive words 

I am slowly getting confident again with food and distinguishing what gluten symptoms are compared to the other symptoms i get at 1 point i thought i was allergic to everything 🙃 i now know this is not the case 

1 day I may even get back to the gym 💪 😅 

Im still a bit suspicious about the dyspepsia diagnosis i never trust a SYNDROME diagnosis, to me it means they dont know 

I honestly still thinks its gastritis / osophegitus especially becuase i wake up in pain every morning which is the common denominator in my symptoms, and the dr who did the scope noted granulation at the oesophagus junction but i forgot to enquire at the follow up what this means ? 

Again thanks 😊 everyone 

cristiana Veteran
13 minutes ago, Liam R said:

Hi Christina,

I definitely think there is an element of being overweight at the time of diagnosis,  and when one is still having ongoing symptoms and the weight is dropping off i think its only natural to be worried, ( i am a worrier )

I think we all worry and think the worst when it comes to weight loss

Thank you and everyone else for your supportive words 

I am slowly getting confident again with food and distinguishing what gluten symptoms are compared to the other symptoms i get at 1 point i thought i was allergic to everything 🙃 i now know this is not the case 

1 day I may even get back to the gym 💪 😅 

Im still a bit suspicious about the dyspepsia diagnosis i never trust a SYNDROME diagnosis, to me it means they dont know 

I honestly still thinks its gastritis / osophegitus especially becuase i wake up in pain every morning which is the common denominator in my symptoms, and the dr who did the scope noted granulation at the oesophagus junction but i forgot to enquire at the follow up what this means ? 

Again thanks 😊 everyone 

You are very welcome, Liam.  Do keep in touch and let us know how you are progressing, and come back to us if you have any more questions.   

And I agree with you, I wasn't terribly convinced with the dyspepsia diagnosis either!  I felt sure that my Doc was going to say that they'd found my stomach was red raw, but he never mentioned it. 

Possibly they have never caught my gastritis "on camera" or by biopsy when it is at its worst.

However, my symptoms are a total match to gastritis, and the burning pain always responds to a gastritis diet.  I hope perhaps if you give such a diet a try, it will help.

Cristiana

Edited by cristiana
knitty kitty Grand Master

I found an interesting article about functional dyspepsia and diet...

Diet and functional dyspepsia: Clinical correlates and therapeutic perspectives

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7015717/

And I found some articles about how tryptophan is needed to make serotonin which helps the gastrointestinal tract function properly.  Tryptophan is also needed to make melatonin.  

Melatonin or L -tryptophan accelerates healing of gastroduodenal ulcers in patients treated with omeprazole

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/50249033_Melatonin_or_L_-tryptophan_accelerates_healing_of_gastroduodenal_ulcers_in_patients_treated_with_omeprazole

And...

Melatonin independent protective role of l-tryptophan in experimental reflux esophagitis in rats

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21527345/

After I started taking tryptophan supplements, many of my gastrointestinal symptoms improved.  

P. S. Forgot this article...

Influence of acute tryptophan depletion on gastric sensorimotor function in humans

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20884888/

Edited by knitty kitty
Add more information
C4Celiac Contributor
13 hours ago, cristiana said:

Hi Liam

just because you're in healthy weight range doesn't mean you look good at that weight

Scott Adams Grand Master

This new article on the connection between autoimmune thyroid issues and celiac disease is interesting, and there are studies that support a gluten-free diet in many with thyroid conditions even if they don't have celiac disease. I suspect that it will later be found they such people fall into the non-celiac gluten sensitive group:

https://www.cureus.com/articles/101467-celiac-disease-and-autoimmune-thyroid-disease-the-two-peas-in-a-pod