This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Excessive bloating/burping minutes after eating most foods

Scp

Scp Rookie

So I got blood work results showing a TTG level of 100 (whatever that mean is I don’t know but the doctor seems to think celiac)

regardless of what I eat I burp excessively 90% if the time. Some gluten foods make my stomach hurt but sometimes not. Does this sound familiar to anyone? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
27 minutes ago, Scp said:

So I got blood work results showing a TTG level of 100 (whatever that mean is I don’t know but the doctor seems to think celiac)

regardless of what I eat I burp excessively 90% if the time. Some gluten foods make my stomach hurt but sometimes not. Does this sound familiar to anyone? 

Can you also include the reference range for the tTG? What is normal range with that lab? There are no industry standards at this point so each lab uses a different reference range.

Just from experience, however, in the sense of seeing many of these tTG scores posted by forum participants, I would feel pretty confident that it is a strong positive for celiac disease. The TTG is probably the abbreviated version for TTG-IGA which is the single most common antibody test ordered by physicians for detecting celiac disease. It supposedly combines good sensitivity with good specificity. There are others that can be run as well.

I would also suspect that you have SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth) that is causing the excessive burping. There are clinical tests for that but there is a home test also you can do with baking soda that pretty much does what the clinical test does. SIBO is very common among those with celiac disease. 

"Some gluten foods make my stomach hurt but sometimes not." Yes, this is very common. The intensity of the reaction will depend on many factors and just because you eat something with gluten in it and it doesn't give you a belly ache does not mean there is no inflammation going on. Once people go gluten free for a good amount of time they usually find their reactions to any gluten exposure to be more intense than when they were consuming gluten regularly. 

Please hear this! It's very important. If your doctor is recommending further testing for celiac disease, such as an endoscopy with biopsy, you need to still be eating regular amounts of gluten for the test to be valid. Don't start a gluten free diet or cut back on gluten until you have gotten feedback from your doctor concerning the possibility of more testing.

Edited by trents
Scp Rookie
2 hours ago, trents said:

Can you also include the reference range for the tTG? What is normal range with that lab? There are no industry standards at this point so each lab uses a different reference range.

Just from experience, however, in the sense of seeing many of these tTG scores posted by forum participants, I would feel pretty confident that it is a strong positive for celiac disease. The TTG is probably the abbreviated version for TTG-IGA which is the single most common antibody test ordered by physicians for detecting celiac disease. It supposedly combines good sensitivity with good specificity. There are others that can be run as well.

I would also suspect that you have SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth) that is causing the excessive burping. There are clinical tests for that but there is a home test also you can do with baking soda that pretty much does what the clinical test does. SIBO is very common among those with celiac disease. 

"Some gluten foods make my stomach hurt but sometimes not." Yes, this is very common. The intensity of the reaction will depend on many factors and just because you eat something with gluten in it and it doesn't give you a belly ache does not mean there is no inflammation going on. Once people go gluten free for a good amount of time they usually find their reactions to any gluten exposure to be more intense than when they were consuming gluten regularly. 

Please hear this! It's very important. If your doctor is recommending further testing for celiac disease, such as an endoscopy with biopsy, you need to still be eating regular amounts of gluten for the test to be valid. Don't start a gluten free diet or cut back on gluten until you have gotten feedback from your doctor concerning the possibility of more testing.

Thank you for your reply. Yes I totally know about making sure I keep eating gluten so I don’t skew the test results. What boggles my mind though is how much I burp regardless of what I eat but everything you said makes sense. I’m also wondering if getting Covid a month ago has anything to do with all this. I don’t know of any solid research but the fact that Covid is an auto immune disease as well as celiac there’s a possibility maybe my immune system changed and have become more sensitive to glutenI’m also wondering if getting Covid a month ago has anything to do with all this. I don’t know of any solid research but the fact that Covid is an auto immune disease as well as celiac there’s a possibility maybe my immune system changed and have become more sensitive to gluten

trents Grand Master

COVID is a viral infection, not an autoimmune disease. Autoimmune diseases are ones in which the body begins to attack its own tissues. However, viral infections can trigger autoimmune disease genes that have been in a latent state to become active.