This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Neurological Symptoms

Ginger38

David B Newbie
On 8/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, Scott Adams said:

I've been using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MK6D652 

I recently joined the celiac.com community. I’ve been following via Twitter and was interested in this discussion about neurological symptoms. In short, I was diagnosed about five years ago. Despite going completely gluten-free, I still experience symptoms that makes me feel like I’ve been glutened.  I was wondering how often you take the choline and what your daily regimen is as far as other supplements?  Really trying to learn from others.  Specifically am curious about amounts of supplements, with meals, daily or other?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum @David B!

I think you'll find a big variation in what supplements different people on this forum take, but here is a breakdown of the many I take. This regimen has worked well for me, but it has take many years for me to add and remove different ones. Also, all of this list may not apply or be helpful for everyone here, but it may work for many people so I'm sharing it:

Before I list them I am also now exploring ways to cut my costs down on supplements, and have discovered that old stand byes like One A Day and Geritol do contain many of these so you may want to first start with one of those, and then add supplements aren't included, or that you may need higher levels of. In general I follow the directions on the bottle, and take 1 or 2 a day depending on the recommendation. I take the majority after breakfast, and if a supplement calls for 2 a day, I take the 2nd dose after dinner.

I break these down in groups, and I personally have to avoid iron, so be sure to know your iron levels as this can build up in your system and cause issues if it gets too high. Likewise, you may want to check all of your levels before starting supplementation.

CORE SUPPLEMENTS (maybe every celiac needs)

• (Nature Made) B-Complex (Costco)
  • Citracal Maximum Plus D3 (Costco)
  • (Kirkland) D3 (2,000 IU) - Optional as Citrical has 1,000 IU 2x Daily = 2,000 IU. I've stopped and started this one several times  and noticed that I just feel a lot better taking 4,000 IU daily (Costco)
  • (Nature Made) Fish Oil 1,200 MG (Costco)
  • (Nature Made) Magnesium 400 MG (Costco)
  • (Nature's Bounty) Niacin - Optional as the B-Complex includes this.  (Amazon)

BRAIN FOG, MEMORY ISSUES and/or ATAXIA (below helped greatly with these issues which I've had on and off since my diagnosis in 1994)

• (Horbaach) Choline Bitartrate 100mg (Amazon)
  • (Kirkland) B12 1,000 IU - Optional as the B-Complex includes B12. Even though my blood levels of B12 are always high, I've noticed increased memory & brain fog issues whenever I've stopped this for a week or more (Costco)
  • (Zenavea) Benfotiamine 300 MG (Amazon)
  • (Finest Nutrition) DHEA 25 MG - Optional and usually for Males only, a natural testosterone booster that helped improve my concentration (Amazon)

DR. RECOMMENDED (family history of heart disease)

• Kirkland CoQ10 300 mg (because I take a statin)

It's a lot, and not recommended for everyone, and, as mentioned, I'm now working on a way to reduce the cost and number of pills I am taking.

trents Grand Master

David B., welcome to the forum!

Just a precaution here. If you are on prescription anticoagulants, fish oil may be contraindicated. 

David B Newbie
2 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Welcome to the forum @David B!

I think you'll find a big variation of what supplements different people on this forum take, but here is a breakdown of the many I take. This regimen has worked well for me, but it has take many years for me to add and remove different ones. Also, all of this list may not apply or be helpful for everyone here, but it may work for many people so I'm sharing it:

Before I list them I am also now exploring ways to cut my costs down on supplements, and have discovered that old stand byes like One A Day and Geritol do contain many of these so you may want to first start with one of those, and then add supplements aren't included, or that you may need higher levels of. In general I follow the directions on the bottle, and take 1 or 2 a day depending on the recommendation. I the majority after breakfast, and if a supplement calls for 2 a day, I take the 2nd dose after dinner.

I break these down in groups, and I personally have to avoid iron, so be sure to know your iron levels as this can build up in your system and cause issues if it gets too high. Likewise, you may want to check all of your levels before starting supplementation.

CORE SUPPLEMENTS (maybe every celiac needs)

• (Nature Made) B-Complex (Costco)
  • Citracal Maximum Plus D3 (Costco)
  • (Kirkland) D3 (2,000 IU) - Optional as Citrical has 1,000 IU 2x Daily = 2,000 IU. I've stopped and started this one several times  and noticed that I just feel a lot better taking 4,000 IU daily (Costco)
  • (Nature Made) Fish Oil 1,200 MG (Costco)
  • (Nature Made) Magnesium 400 MG (Costco)
  • (Nature's Bounty) Niacin - Optional as the B-Complex includes this.  (Amazon)

BRAIN FOG, MEMORY ISSUES and/or ATAXIA (below helped greatly with these issues which I've had on and off since my diagnosis in 1994)

• (Horbaach) Choline Bitartrate 100mg (Amazon)
  • (Kirkland) B12 1,000 IU - Optional as the B-Complex includes B12. Even though my blood levels of B12 are always high, I've noticed increased memory & brain fog issues whenever I've stopped this for a week or more (Costco)
  • (Zenavea) Benfotiamine 300 MG (Amazon)
  • (Finest Nutrition) DHEA 25 MG - Optional and usually for Males only, a natural testosterone booster that helped improve my concentration (Amazon)

DR. RECOMMENDED (family history of heart disease)

• Kirkland CoQ10 300 mg (because I take a statin)

It's a lot, and not recommended for everyone, and, as mentioned, I'm now working on a way to reduce the cost and number of pills I am taking.

Thank you so much! Incredibly helpful.