This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does eating gluten cause bed wetting?

Datsanne

Datsanne Newbie

I am 69 years old, and self diagnosed to eliminate gluten from my diet. I take supplements to help with common side effects and issues that so many others have reported. My sleep patterns is all over the place.  I wake to use the potty may once a twice during the night. However, the only other issue observed with me is bedwetting. Over the years, I observed after eating gluten, I wet the bed. What is most unusual is that fall into a deep sleep and when I awakened, I have wetted the bed. As strange as this may sound, it is true for me. I mentioned my age at the start of this article because I have tested snd observed this for several years. I’ve lived with this for many years and have not shared it this with anyone. Sometimes I will enjoy a scone or hamburger with plans to wear a pull-ups before I go to bed. This is a confession without feeling judged. Also, to know if I am not alone. 😔

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, Datsanne!

Did you double post this?

I take it since you are self-diagnosed that you do not know whether you have celiac disease or NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity). Correct? What symptoms did regular gluten consumption produce for you?

What is not clear to me is whether the bed wetting occurs regularly or only when you have consumed something with gluten.

Does the bedwetting happen during the same nights when you wake up to go potty once or twice or only on nights when you fall into a deeper sleep and don't go potty?

Gluten crosses the blood-brain barrier https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5025969/#:~:text=Gluten can be degraded into,on gastrointestinal lining and function. and can have an opiod effect. Perhaps this is affecting your sleep patterns resulting in bed wetting.

Edited by trents
Datsanne Newbie

An opioid effect??? Okay, this sounds like something that I feel comfortable with learning more about. 
The bedwetting only occurs when I’ve ingested gluten earlier in the day. It’s important to note that the sleep without gluten is not a deep sleep. The deep deep serene sleep occurs only after ingesting gluten that same day. This is how I control my bedwetting by intentionally eating gluten. In addition, eating out triggers bed wetting when I’m not careful about my choices from the menu. Interestingly enough, I am able to control the bed wetting when I knowingly eat gluten. 

trents Grand Master

The connection between deep sleep and gluten consumption sounds like an opiod effect, doesn't it?

So, you did not answer my question about other symptoms normally connected with gluten sensitivity/celiac disease. You allude to "common side effects" but do not elaborate. What I am wondering is what led you to investigate the possibility of gluten sensitivity in the first place?

Scott Adams Grand Master

This post might be helpful:

Datsanne Newbie

It began deciding if I had cold symptoms or allergy symptoms when my nose become runny, eyes itch, post nasal drip, and coughing. When I compare it to other times having the same symptoms but with a fever. At times I would get pain in my joints and bad inflammation acne on my face. At this point I was eating carbs and sugar everyday. If I didn’t have carbs it may me irrational and irritable all at once.  That’s when I realized I had allergy issues and began questioning if my allergies were environmental or from the foods I eat. I thought if I stopped the sugar and carbs, I lose wait. So I started the Atkins diet. That started me up to paying attention to what I ate changed  how my body felt. Overtime, the joint pain went away. So I cutout anything that was sugary then fructose corn syrup and white sugar. I started reading literature and articles about the bad effects of sugar. Then it hit me, I also cut out breads because it is a sugar too. A long story short, over decades, I’ve been managing my own health because doctors were not listening. I received penicillin for a tooth infection, my sinuses became overwhelmed with mucus and post nasal drip. I couldn’t breathe and felt like I was going to die. It then later hit me that it was the penicillin that caused the attack. Not one doctor would confirm that for me. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Some people, including myself, are allergic to penicillin (which may mean an allergy to that class of antibiotics). It's definitely best to be your own health advocate!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Bev in Milw Rookie
On 8/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, Datsanne said:

>>>An opioid effect??? Okay, this sounds like something that I feel comfortable with learning more about. 

Notes on the opioid theory….Back in the early 90s there was online group for parents of kids with autism who were being treated with gluten-free and casein-free diets.  Treatment was based on the “opioid- effect“ of proteins in wheat and milk.
     While that website seems to be gone, I found this link to the original study— https://www.princeton.edu/~serge/ll/gfpak.html 

Over the years I referred many lactose intolerant celiacs in our group to the site because it had an amazing gluten-free/Milk-free product list…Allergen labels for milk, wheat, & 6 other common foods wouldn’t  show up until 2006!  
   Since the typical response to traces of either gluten or casein for these kids was marked by noticeable changes in behavior,  their parents were able to quickly identify the offending product. When the discovery was shared on the site, list got an immediate update & notifications were posted. 
  For most of us with celiac, determining if a problem is caused by trace cross contamination can be difficult. Symptoms are often vague or sporadic or similar to those caused by various viral or bacterial GI bugs, or even just too much of one gluten-free thing or another.  Solving the puzzle is usually a process of elimination but even the best detective work may find nothing.  
   Unlike a celiac steeped in brain-fog,  the moms/parents in that group were impartial (& clear minded) observers. They became experts in linking an offending product to behavior shifts and just as quick to share the info so product list was updated.  They worked together to keep everyone’s child safe…No ifs, and, or buts!  
    Lisa Lewis was instrumental in starting  the gluten-free/CF website. She has  written a couple of books that are still available.  They remain great resources for the gluten-free who need to avoid milk, either casein or lactose!  

Bev in Milwaukee 

trents Grand Master

Good information and good explanation, Bev. Thanks.

LCAnacortes Enthusiast

I was looking for Tryptophan at Walgreens and ended up with Melatonin.  I have been taking it since going gluten free and that has helped me sleep well. 

knitty kitty Grand Master

@Bev in Milw,

Found these for you....

Autism Case Report: Cause and Treatment of “High Opioid Tone” Autism

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8180893/

And...

μ opioid receptor, social behaviour and autism spectrum disorder: reward matters

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6016638/

And...

Gluten-Free Casein-Free Diet for Autism Spectrum Disorders: Can It Be Effective in Solving Behavioural and Gastrointestinal Problems?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7651765/

And for @Wheatwacked,

Vitamin D deficiency exacerbates UV/endorphin and opioid addiction

https://www.science.org/doi/full/10.1126/sciadv.abe4577

Posterboy Mentor
19 hours ago, LCAnacortes said:

I was looking for Tryptophan at Walgreens and ended up with Melatonin.  I have been taking it since going gluten free and that has helped me sleep well. 

LCAnacortes,

Be aware Melatonin can cause elevated blood sugars in those suspectible to it....in only 3 months time it can raise blood sugars.

Here is an article on it.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/310321#Melatonin-reduction-of-insulin-stronger-in-risk-gene-carriers

quoting from the article....

"After 3 months of melatonin treatment, all participants had higher levels of blood sugar. However, these were especially higher in the carriers of the risk gene, who also showed lower levels of insulin secretion."

It is much safer longer term to take Magnesium for sleep issues.

And Magnesium has been shown to regulate our Circadian Rhythms....

See this article about it entitled "Daily magnesium fluxes regulate cellular timekeeping and energy balance"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27074515/

I researsched this because I had a friend who had GERD and was taking it (Melatonin) because he thougt it would help his heartburn but it ended up making him pre-diabetic which subsequently got better after he stopped the Melatonin.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Good luck on your continue journey(s)

Posterboy,

LCAnacortes Enthusiast
3 hours ago, Posterboy said:

LCAnacortes,

Be aware Melatonin can cause elevated blood sugars in those suspectible to it....in only 3 months time it can raise blood sugars.

Here is an article on it.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/310321#Melatonin-reduction-of-insulin-stronger-in-risk-gene-carriers

quoting from the article....

"After 3 months of melatonin treatment, all participants had higher levels of blood sugar. However, these were especially higher in the carriers of the risk gene, who also showed lower levels of insulin secretion."

It is much safer longer term to take Magnesium for sleep issues.

And Magnesium has been shown to regulate our Circadian Rhythms....

See this article about it entitled "Daily magnesium fluxes regulate cellular timekeeping and energy balance"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27074515/

I researsched this because I had a friend who had GERD and was taking it (Melatonin) because he thougt it would help his heartburn but it ended up making him pre-diabetic which subsequently got better after he stopped the Melatonin.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Good luck on your continue journey(s)

Posterboy,

Thank you so much. I am already taking Magnesium so I just won't buy more

razzle5150 Enthusiast

I dont think thats has anything to do with it  good luck 

OldWithCeliac Newbie
On 8/24/2022 at 6:03 AM, Datsanne said:

I am 69 years old, and self diagnosed to eliminate gluten from my diet. I take supplements to help with common side effects and issues that so many others have reported. My sleep patterns is all over the place.  I wake to use the potty may once a twice during the night. However, the only other issue observed with me is bedwetting. Over the years, I observed after eating gluten, I wet the bed. What is most unusual is that fall into a deep sleep and when I awakened, I have wetted the bed. As strange as this may sound, it is true for me. I mentioned my age at the start of this article because I have tested snd observed this for several years. I’ve lived with this for many years and have not shared it this with anyone. Sometimes I will enjoy a scone or hamburger with plans to wear a pull-ups before I go to bed. This is a confession without feeling judged. Also, to know if I am not alone. 😔

🤗You absolutely are not alone.  I just found out that I have celiac disease about 2 weeks ago...so I'm new to all of this and I'm almost 72 years old.  I have the same leakage problems, particularly at night.  I have decided after not liking the cost of paying for the adult diapers, to go to Walmart and buy the 18 wash cloths pkg for about six dollars. I buy all white and this way I can rewash them. I usually buy three or four kids at a time and if I'm on the outside and I'm wearing them or they get too bad I throw them away and every few months end up buying another set or so of 18 wash clothes, So I will use wash cloths in my pants at night to catch the urine and I'll also lay on a bed pad.

The other thing you may not know is that when you leak it out after getting up,  you don't always get very wet until you get all the way up and then it comes out a lot and you don't have control over it.  This is  because the urine has already came out of the bladder prior before your awakening... I had a doctor tell me that and the only solution for it was to get a "Sling" surgery ...and I opted out of that idea as I'm too old and didn't want to deal with it. The wash cloth idea is much easier. and less money.  Also, I don't do well after having surgeries. It takes me a long time to heal.  I actually first started the little washcloth idea to easier deal with the diarrhea that I've had for a long time and I wash and rinse those out too. Years ago we didn't have a baby wipes ...we used white washclothes to clean up our babies and then we bleached them along with our diapers.

I like the wash cloths better than any other paper products because they don't make you sore and you can also use some softer material and rewash that as well, if the washcloths bother you.

most people who have one auto immune disorder, like celiac disease or any of the others, usually have more than one. I was first diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis and then they thought it may be something else, but my doctor thinks maybe the neurological problems I am experiencing a lot, are all because of the progression of my celiac disease. I pray that it is and that they heal up and that maybe I don't have Myasthenia Gravis!  

wish me luck! This is all new to me. So few doctors know about this and I live in Tri-Cities Washington and we have to wait forever to get in the doctors because we have so many people here. I may have to go out of the area to further get help. I am so glad that I found a celiac.com website. thank you all for your input🤗

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, OldWithCeliac!

You may find that as your gut heals from going gluten free (which I am assuming is your goal) that you will heal better after surgeries. Of course, the MG may be partly responsible for slow healing as well. 

Since Celiac Disease damages he villi that line the small bowel, where all of the nutrition is absorbed from what we eat, you would benefit substantially from adding in some high quality vitamin and mineral supplements. Of course, you would need to make sure they are gluten free.

Incontinence often has a neurological component to it which can be closely tied to celiac disease. 

OldWithCeliac Newbie

thank you for the comment! oh I never knew that celiac disease could cause any kind of neurological symptoms until I went to an eye doctor to be checked over for the double vision and his assistant told me that her husband has celiac disease and they only found out about it because of his neurological symptoms that were very much like my own. oh I only showed positive on the celiac test and I still need to get the biopsy done, per my primary care doctor. The problem is, where I receive care, we are very short of doctors and my Gastro now I just would like me to get it done within the next couple of weeks, however there's nothing available for me in this area for about three months. starting next week, I'm going to start researching other areas to see if I can get this colonoscopy, upper G.I. and biopsy's done somewhere else. because my gastrin allergist wants me to continue eating gluten and it is causing me so many problems that I know now could be from the celiac issues, I'm not really willing to go another three months feeling like this. I am progressively getting worse and I don't know if it's just the celiac disease or if it's another autoimmune disorder.

Now that I look back, I'm sure I could've had the celiac disease for a long time but I mentioned it to another doctor I had prior to my current one, and he told me that I didn't have celiac disease or I wouldn't be weighing 195 pounds. I know now that that is not true, because I recently finished a degree in medical research and records and have learned that, however, I did not again want to ask about getting tested for it, because they've also learned there are so many automune disorders that I could have, that this may not be it. 

my symptoms this past six months are worse than they've ever been and they are progressively getting worse regularly.  I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but a year and a half ago, I caught Covid from my daughter-in-law and even though many people in her family caught it from her as well at her birthday party, my son, who is her husband and isn't insulin-dependent diabetic and I were the only ones that ended up in the hospital over this Covid illness .  it's pretty obvious that our family has a compromised immune system, more than hers.  anyway, when my kidneys began failing and the doctor was concerned about me living much longer, he offered me the opportunity to receive the convalescent plasma, better known as Covid plasma as treatment but he told me that I had to sign off on it because 25% of the people who receive this, have a stroke.  I signed off on it and I received the plasma and within one day I felt my life was coming back and in two days after receiving the plasma, they discharged me to a nursing home (so that I had a place to go to finish out the rest of my quarantine for Covid, as I could not go back to any other family members home, since I lived with my son and daughter-in-law of whom I received the Covid from to begin with.

Anyway, at the nursing home, during the night on my second day, I had a major left-sided stroke.....so when did up staying there much longer than the 10 days they thought that I would be there to live out my quarantine.

unfortunately, we were short of therapist there and it wasn't just there, but everywhere so I had to do the best I could trying to help myself do some forms of therapy because I knew that it was important as my own mother had had a stroke years ago and I'm the one that used to take her to her therapy for help.  However fortunately though, I did not have any cognitive problems because of the stroke and I was able to continue on with my studies....though only part time, and almost a year later than planned, I did complete my degree with honors. I had originally planned on using my degree in the medical field, however, after having the stroke I was only willing to work part time and was not able to find work only part time and my degree field......so I have decided that spending more time with my family is more important right now.

Even if I had went to work, I now realized it would've been short-lived, because the progressing neurological issues I am experiencing since all of this has progressed, would've prevented me from having the strength to work full-time, even though it does not seem to affect me mentally, it definitely has physically.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard space right now. And it's not the first time in the last few years that I have felt that way, due to the lack of doctors in my area who are knowledgeable on my MG condition or available to help mein a timely manner with the new diagnosis of celiac disease.

Doctors don't have time or even interest to hear about all of these issues from individuals, because there is so much that involved.  I have noticed something lately though that I have not actually experienced in the past and that is me having depression.  I think it is because the quality of my life has changed so much lately and I deal with pain and other issues that I feel I don't have control over or understanding of how to fix yet.  I definitely don't feel like I wanna die or anything like that, but I do feel that if I did, it would be OK, except that I have one little eight-year-old beautiful granddaughter that recently came to me crying, that she's afraid I'm going to die, and I'm sure it's because she notices the difference in my activity level due to the neurological symptoms progressing.

This, for sure, motivates me to try to do everything that I can to improve my life and always, even though I've lived a big part of it already.  

I have taken a long time posting things today regarding my condition, because I'm hoping it can help others and also because I have a need to be heard....and I want you to know that I feel this need has been met because of those of you that I have realized, through my reading, do understand my situation.  I also realize how that I may deal with pain and neurological conditions, but I don't actually have pain in my stomach and I don't have the skin issues that many of you have with Celiac disease.  I also realize that many of our symptoms and our treatments and our progress, one way or the other, is all individualized..... but no matter who we are, I think it is humbling for all of us!

Than you all for listening and for giving me the relief that I have received from this wonderful website!     🥰

trents Grand Master

Wow, OldWithCeliac, you certainly have been handed a difficult road to travel! You have a lot challenges to cope with and a complex medical history. Kudos for hanging in there! Many would have given up.

Thanks for sharing your story. It makes me feel I have it pretty easy.

Like you, many of us came to realize that we probably lived with undiagnosed celiac disease for many years. The frustrating thing is that we know had it been diagnosed earlier we could have saved a lot of collateral damage to our bodies.

Just want to make sure you realize that if you go gluten-free before the biopsy it may invalidate the test. You don't want to allow the villi to heal before the biopsy. Having said that, you do have the option of assuming the blood antibody positives are evidence enough and refusing the biopsy.

By the way, I'm in WA as well.

Edited by trents
Wheatwacked Veteran

I have had prostate hypertrophy since I was 21 in 1972. It has completely resolved since GFD in 2014. I still have posteral urgency. Anytime I change position I have to pee. The Inulin soluable fiber I recently started seems to be helping. I think less belly fat pressing on my bladder?

At 10,000 IU a day it took me from 2015 to 2021 to get my vitamin D plasma up to 87 ng/ml and homeostasis kicked in and it is steady now at 80.. Last month I took none for three weeks and increased my outdoor time but in those three weeks my D dropped to 72 ng/ml. My doctor agrees I should continue at 10,000 a day. My son is an Ocean Guard diagnosed with Celiac at infancy. His vitamin D was tested in August and is low.

"So what does increasing fiber have to do with my urological symptoms? Increasing the amount of fiber you consume on a daily basis will help to build bulk in your stool, helping your bowel in passing more easily. Thus, relieving symptoms of daytime wetting, nighttime wetting and UTIs. Implementing a Fiber Program is commonly used by many practitioner’s as a first-line treatment that is not invasive and can provide great relief to many of your symptoms."   https://www.bluewaterurology.com/blog/increased-fiber-intake-and-urology

"Nocturnal enuresis is known to be a common urinary bladder complication in children. Recent studies have associated vitamin D and omega-3 insufficiency with nocturnal enuresis."   https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1477513118300342#:~:text=The current study showed that,after 2 months of intervention.

However, no study has investigated serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations in children with nocturnal enuresis (NE) in the English literature... The prevalence of NE decreased with increasing 25(OH)D concentrations above 19 ng/ml. Additionally, children exhibiting higher frequencies of bedwetting had lower 25(OH)D concentrations [5–7 times/week: 18.3±4.8; 2–4 times/week: 20.9±4.1; 0–1 times/week: 23.6±6.4 (ng/ml), P<0.05)].

Just one more disease whose symptoms can be alleviated by raising vitamin D plasma levels.  @knitty kittyhere's another reason. LOL

Supplements that seem to have helped me the most:

• vitamin D 10,000 IU a day
  • iodine a sheet or more of certified organic Nori daily
  • phosphatidyl choline 840 mg/day
  • eating more food with potassium The US recommends 4700 mg a dat. (some BP meds can cause hyperkalemea. (high blood level of potassium)
  • DHEA  100 mg daily - a weak male hormone (androgen) produced by the adrenal glands in both men and women. 
    • Ages 18 to 19: 108 to 441 µg/dL
    •  Ages 69 and older: 28 to 175 µg/dL
  • Inulin 3 teaspoons a day.

Recovering from Celiac Disease is all about avoiding gluten always and reversing vitamin and mineral deficiencies caused by villi atrophy and/or low dietary intake.

OldWithCeliac Newbie

thank you all for your comments and support and yes, I did hear that if I stop the gluten now, it would invalidate my test. I just need to get into someone very soon to get it done so that I can get on the gluten-free diet. The reason my doctor wants me to get the biopsy done is to verify the fact for sure that I have celiac disease so that she can justify the change in the meds that I use for myasthenia gravis. They're not even sure if I have that because celiac disease can also cause double vision and even occasionally weakness in the eyes. The thing is though most of my symptoms from MG are not from droopy eyes but they're from double vision and muscle pain and tendon pain in my hands in arms and pain in my legs and in my shoulders.  Since my CRP levels are very normal at a number five, it's probably unlikely that I have RA but again, that doesn't guarantee anything. These tests that we receive are almost always guidelines and it's hard when doctors look at them like they are Bible because even though  they can sometimes guarantee that you have it when you test negative for some of these things it doesn't guarantee that you do not. That is some of the issues that I deal with personally. Of the test that I've been able to receive, many times they come back negative and things look normal and that's great if you feel normal but if you don't feel normal it's frustrating because you  don't receive an answer and you don't know what to do about it.   you are right Trent if we would've been diagnosed with celiac disease earlier, we could've made the decision to get off of gluten and also not deal with the pain that we have and other issues.  

as far as the vitamin D, I have always tested off the charts with low vitamin D and when it's given to me and I've taken it, I never ever have been up to level but I think it's because I'm only given 2000 mg a day. I do not know enough even in my degree about vitamins to know which ones can really cause issues. It's something I want to research and study but I haven't taken the opportunity to do that yet. I am very minimal on my education as far as vitamins. I know it's toxic and what's not but I don't know what vitamins it's safe to take in high levels. I did do some recent research on myasthenia gravis and found in some of the studies that there were people that took high doses of vitamin D for that and pretty much were able to get off of the medicine all together like the prednisone and the pyostigmine? and some of the other medicines given for MG.  If you're doing more studying now on celiac disease, I wonder if some of the people that think or thought they had OMG, actually don't but have celiac disease instead.

Auto immune diseases are going through the roof in people and they are expected to continue. I have my own theories, but I think a lot of it has to do with what is being eaten as so-called food these days.  I know that in my generation, that young people eat very differently than I did when I was their age. We didn't have fast food and we didn't have so many different types of junk food available to us.  it's very very hard these days to stay on track with eating when there is so much available there and so little information about what really has being eaten.  I think if they put suggestions on the food stating that only the calories in the other information but about how much is safe of these foods when it is eaten..  I even learned during my time in school that there are companies that laid in food with certain drugs that make it addictive. You would not think that this would be legal but they find ways around it. If they can make the food delicious to the taste and addicting, people are going to want to eat more of it and they're going to want to buy more of it.

I really do believe that our health issues stem around our diet first our lack of water second and our lack of balanced exercise third and lack of emotional and mental and spiritual health fourth and our chronic lack of education for all of us including our children in all of these areas!  when I state this, I don't necessarily mean that there is a priority in order as much as I am listing the items. This may pan out be differently for everybody, but it is very important to be aware of the fact that if changes were made in all of these areas, we would be a lot healthier in every way, including physically !

I don't think there is as much celiac disease many years ago is there is today, because the food that causes the damage wasn't being eaten then. It is well known that you could have a celiac gene and not have an active celiac disease.  I do wonder though, of those who do have the gene and do not have the disease, how they eat? healthy eating is becoming a thing of the past like many of the other jewels of life that we had years ago, however, it's something that we can change and if giving up gluten is the answer to my health issues, it definitely is something that I am determined to do.  I do need to educate myself on vitamins because it's a must for me now!

Again....thank you, thank you, thank you!

🥰

Wheatwacked Veteran

Good morning @OldWithCeliac.  You nailed it.

Around 50% of the population has at least one of the genes recognized for Celiac. Only 2% of them have acute symptoms and get diagnosed. 10% of the total population are diagnosed with Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity. IE. test negative for Celiac but symptoms improve with GFD. The two books I found most educational are Eat to Live by Dr Fuhrman and Wheatbelly: Total Health by Dr Davis. Drs Fuhrman, Davis, Hymen of the Cleveland Clinic, psychiatrist Dr Amen, Dr Kellyanne all return to South Florida Public Service TV series they update every year. Their common link is health through food and gluten free is pretty much integral in all of their different approaches.

Did you know Dr Norman Bolaug received the Noble Prize for his agressive work on wheat? They developed a wheat that will keep growing as long as it has fertilizer and water (like cancer no stop button) and is very insect and disease resistant. A wheat industry spokesman, sorry I don't remember who or when made a statement that wheat is more addictive than potato chips. When a wheat supplier under bid the rice supplyers for the contracts for Biafran Famine Aid, that is when I started seeing what I call Biafran Baby Belly. They blamed is on Kwashiorkor (protein deficiency). My son had that belly when he was weaned in 1976 and I got it in 2012. One of the symptoms of Kwashiorkor is short fingers and toes. If you can find pictures from then they all have normal digits and I don't remember any it being a problem until they switched to wheat.

"Early reports of hypervitaminosis D in children were attributed to overfortification of infant formula with reports of an outbreak in the United Kingdom (UK) during the 1950s when a small number of infants presented with hypercalcemia, failure to thrive, abnormal facies, learning difficulties, and nephrocalcinosis."   https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00467-022-05513-5   And so started the drive to keep our vitamin D levels low.

"For comparison, the Endocrine Society’s practice guidelines on vitamin D state that vitamin D intoxication is usually not observed until serum 25(OH)D levels are more than 150 ng/mL. Vitamin D intoxication associated with hypercalcemia, hyperphosphatemia, and suppressed parathyroid hormone level is typically seen in patients who are receiving massive doses of vitamin D in the range of 50,000 to 1 million IU/d for several months to years. Ekwaru et al16 recently reported on more than 17,000 healthy adult volunteers participating in a preventative health program and taking varying doses of vitamin D up to 20,000 IU/d. These patients did not demonstrate any toxicity, and the blood level of 25(OH)D in those taking even 20,000 IU/d was less than 100 ng/mL."   https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(15)00244-X/pdf

"In a large retrospective study, vitamin D status was found to have a linear association with seasonal infections and lung function, in which each 10 nmol/L increase in 25(OH) D3 was associated with a 7% lower risk of infection" ... Several cross-sectional prospective studies further strengthened this evidence, which demonstrated a significant increase for all-cause mortality when serum 25(OH)D3 levels were less than 30 ng/mL... Some prospective studies and case-control studies have shown the majority of asthmatic children to be vitamin D-deficient..... Vitamin D intake for more than 12 months can significantly reduce the probability of cardiovascular events... In a large prospective case-control study of 7 million US military personnel, high circulating levels of 25(OH)D3 were found to be associated with a lower risk of MS, in which every 50 nmol/L increase in serum 25(OH)D3 led to a 41% decrease in MS risk. [50 nmol/l = 124.8 ng/ml]  Vitamin D and inflammatory diseases

Nutrient Recommendations and Databases

Based on NIH Standard Reference 21 here is a sample spreadsheet: http://nutrientlog.doodlesnotes.net/ The RDA is the minimum amounts to stay healthy. They are all important. Personally I avoid synthetic (not food sourced) vitamin A, betacarotene, folic acid and vitamin E. A double blind study on folic acid was stopped midway because the incidence of prostate cancer was 17% higher in the group taking the the supplement. Studies have shown  Vitamin A supplements increase stomach cancer and vitamin E supplements increased lung cancer. To quote TV detective Adrian Monk's theme song; "It's a jungle out there."

Here's a cheat sheet.  It is really like cookbook chemistry.image.png.f94eca2beee25fea6c083b613d9cf2df.png

Edited by Wheatwacked
typos
OldWithCeliac Newbie

Wow! Wheatwacked!  

I guess now I get where you got your name from ! Lol!

I feel like I just found a gold mine! Thank you so so much for this information!

Tomorrow is the day I usually spend a lot of time doing research, but it's also a holiday, so I'm going to give it up until Tuesday...

I will see if they have those books at my local library on Tuesday.... I have heard of "Wheat belly" before, but the name did not interest me, so I never looked into it .....but I certainly will now!  

Thank you so much for all of the great information. It seems to help the puzzle pieces fit better and it's amazing to find someone else who understands the same concept that I do!

Thank you, again!  💥🥰

Wheatwacked Veteran

Thanks. At one point we were considered the healthiest generation. Then the best NASA could do nutritionwise was TANG! and warm ice cream. Our diets went from 3:1 omega 6 to omega 3 to 20:1. No wonder everyone is inflamed. 100% Pasture Fed milk is 1:1 whiile commercial milk is 5:1 and the pasture fed tastes like milkman milk.🐄

Have a nice rest of Labor Day.

Edited by Wheatwacked