This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mistakes

Sof

Sof Apprentice

My main symptom of gluten ingestion is acne. My skin has been acting out in the last weeks, I could not figure out the problem. Well, today I did. I’ve been eating wakame salad lately and I just discovered it’s seasoned with soy sauce.

I always make mistakes, will this ever end?

Any suggestions apart from not eating out?

Thank you! This forum has been always so helpful ❤️

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
13 minutes ago, Sof said:

My main symptom of gluten ingestion is acne. My skin has been acting out in the last weeks, I could not figure out the problem. Well, today I did. I’ve been eating wakame salad lately and I just discovered it’s seasoned with soy sauce.

I always make mistakes, will this ever end?

Any suggestions apart from not eating out?

Thank you! This forum has been always so helpful ❤️

Saf, Were you ever tested for DH?  Do you ever get symmetrical break outs on your body?  My Dermatologist tested me for DH and the results proved I had it as well as celiac. 

Sof Apprentice
51 minutes ago, captaincrab55 said:

Saf, Were you ever tested for DH?  Do you ever get symmetrical break outs on your body?  My Dermatologist tested me for DH and the results proved I had it as well as celiac. 

No, I didn’t get tested but it’s not DH, it’s inflammatory cystic acne. On cheeks, chin, shoulders and back and it’s never symmetrical, it affects more my right shoulder and in the face it switches sides, it depends on  the outbreak.

And after writing this I’ve been recalling last week’s memories because I had wakame salad twice and I remember got diarrhea twice, probably the 2 days after I ate it :((

knitty kitty Grand Master

I have had skin problems due to gluten and also due to Niacin deficiency.  (Nicotinic acid is the form of Vitamin B3 that causes flushing.)  Supplementing with Nicotinic Acid helps immensely to clear my skin.  Vitamins A, D and  C also help.  

Remember cutting out gluten cuts out the vitamins added to gluten containing products.  Discuss with your doctor the benefits of supplementing with vitamins and minerals while healing. 

I found some interesting reading....

Nicotinic acid suppresses sebaceous lipogenesis of human sebocytes via activating hydroxycarboxylic acid receptor 2 (HCA2)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6714165/

And...

High dose niacin in the treatment of acne vulgaris: a pilot study

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314425582_High_dose_niacin_in_the_treatment_of_acne_vulgaris_a_pilot_study

And... (Read the acne and Celiac sections.....)

The Role of Nutrition in Immune-Mediated, Inflammatory Skin Disease: A Narrative Review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8840467/

And...

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Niacin-HealthProfessional/

Sof Apprentice
6 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

I have had skin problems due to gluten and also due to Niacin deficiency.  (Nicotinic acid is the form of Vitamin B3 that causes flushing.)  Supplementing with Nicotinic Acid helps immensely to clear my skin.  Vitamins A, D and  C also help.  

Remember cutting out gluten cuts out the vitamins added to gluten containing products.  Discuss with your doctor the benefits of supplementing with vitamins and minerals while healing. 

Nicotinic acid suppresses sebaceous lipogenesis of human sebocytes via activating hydroxycarboxylic acid receptor 2 (HCA2)

And...

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314425582_High_dose_niacin_in_the_treatment_of_acne_vulgaris_a_pilot_study

The Role of Nutrition in Immune-Mediated, Inflammatory Skin Disease: A Narrative Review

And...

Thank you!! Super helpful :))

Hb333 Apprentice
16 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

And...

And...

Hello, what supplements and in what dose do you take to help your acne?

knitty kitty Grand Master

I take Life Extension Niacin, 500 mg. 

Make sure the Niacin you get is gluten free and is the kind that causes flushing.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Posterboy Mentor
On 9/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, knitty kitty said:

I take Life Extension Niacin, 500 mg. 

Make sure the Niacin you get is gluten free and is the kind that causes flushing.  

Sof, Knitty Kitty Et Al,

I have been busy with other things lately but I wanted to circle back and give you some important information.

Knitty Kitty has given you GREAT advice.

She have given you the PERFECT Advice!  She beat me too it.....but I wanted to "UNPACK" it a little more.

What she quoted/cited couldn't of been better but most doctor's medical clinicians have not yet incorprated this ground breaking reseasrch into their medical practices.

Here is the research on Niacin role in Acne.....quoted again here for easy reference...

I will quote the whole abstract because it is informative here...

Abstract

"Introduction: Acne patients are frequently associated with abnormal lipid profile. It may be useful to apply high dose of niacin that regulates the lipid profile along with acne treatment. There is no report about high dose of niacin in treatment of acne. Objective: To evaluate the therapeutic effect and safety of high-dose niacin in acne vulgaris. Methods Acne patients were randomly allocated to two treatment groups. Both groups were treated orally with the tablets for 12 weeks; the niacin group at an increasing dose of niacin tablet: 2000 mg (40 mg/kg/d). The control group (nicotinamide group) at a dose of nicotinamide tablet: 600 mg (10 mg/kg/d). All patients were asked not to consume certain foods such as milk and alcohol. A high-protein, low-fat and low-glycemic-load diet was recommended in both groups. Results: A total of 108 patients were finished the study. Niacin group: 56 patients; control group: 52 patients. After 12 weeks of treatment, niacin and nicotinamide caused improvement in acne patients. Percentage Improvement in the niacin group (82.37±7.837) %was significantly higher than in the nicotinamide group (63.19±10.18)%, P<0.01. The number of successful cases in the niacin group was significantly higher than in the nicotinamide group after 12 weeks of treatment, (χ 2 = 10.55, P<0.01). Conclusions: High dose niacin can really do it work in treatment of acne vulgaris. The therapeutic effcct of High dose of niacin in treatment of acne vulgaris is more effective than Nicotinamide" which is an alternative spelling of Niacinamide and often the easiest form to find Niacin in often.....because it does not flush the way Niacin (aka Nicotinic Acid) does etc.

There are two things to note here.....both work extremely well when taken "Long Enough" and I would say frequent enough!

With B-Vitamins being water soluble the frequency is much more important than dosage amounts.

And the duration is important here .......12 weeks or approx. 3 months time Niacin as Nicotinic Acid put Acne Vulgaris into remission!

And almost 2/3 of those who took at Niacinamide also saw symptom relief!

Take which ever is the easiest to find and the one you are most comfortable with....

I wrote a blog post about why you would want to take Niacin/Niacinamide in the first place that might be helpful to you if these tips don't help you....or you want to know more about Vitamin B3 commonly known as Niacin.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

2 Tim 2:7 "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things."

Posterboy by the grace of God,