This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate
  1. Scott Adams

Scott Adams

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Sarah Roberts
    Newest Member
    Sarah Roberts
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Peace lily
      Welcome to the forem i got diagnosed in march with cealiac it’s been a process for me  I’m strictly gluten free . I went years with suffering with the pain . Don’t want to go thru with that again if I can help it but I found you really have to read the labels on food products . I had a nutritionist for awhile and helped me get thru this who new soy sauce has gluten in it. plus this forem helps a lot you will get a lot of knowledge. good luck peace lily
    • Nogluten4thisgirl
      I don’t think I have gotten a full work up for vitamin deficiencies, especially Thiamine.  My levels have been very low, and even with gluten-free diet and vitamin supplementation, my B12 was on the lower end.  It’s improved a tad, so hopefully over time and sticking with gluten-free it will get even better.     So celiac would cause some of these symptoms or just vitamin deficiency? 
    • Aussie Celiac
      Hi there, I haven't been back for another blood test. I had an iron infusion awhile ago and feel a bit better. It's only quite recent so hopefully things will improve. 
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nogluten4thisgirl! Those symptoms are related to nutritional deficiencies.  Because the intestines get damaged in Celiac Disease, they cannot absorb sufficient vitamins and minerals.   NCGS doesn't damage the intestines, but it may be a precursor to celiac disease and damage hasn't started yet.     There's eight essential B vitamins, Vitamin C, and four fat soluble vitamins, including Vitamin D.  There's a dozen minerals.  celiac disease affects the absorption of all of them, not just one or two.  They all work together, so supplementing just one or two may not improve the malnutrition.   Have you been tested for deficiencies beyond Vitamin D and B12?  Have you discussed supplementing with vitamins and minerals while healing with your doctor and nutritionist? Chronic constipation....magnesium and Thiamine brain fog, memory issues, brain feels like it’s on fire sometimes, adhd, depression, anxiety....Thiamine Vitamin B 1and the B vitamins mouth sores, graphical tongue....B12 and the other B s skin lesions/sores that went away with gluten-free diet, acne...Niacin dry eyes, joint pain and cracking...Vitamin A and omega three fats chronic fatigue...Thiamine and the B s leg and ankle feel like they are heavy or retaining water/painful... Thiamine, magnesium, potassium and the Bs night sweats....Vitamin D deficiency horrible heart palpitations....Thiamine gas that would clear a room....possibly Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth SIBO I was in very poor health due to nutritional deficiencies while on my journey to diagnosis.  I've experienced all of these myself.  More details in my blog.  I studied nutrition before earning a degree in microbiology at university.  I'm concerned about your numerous symptoms pointing to Thiamine insufficiency.  The brain/mental health symptoms get serious rapidly.  Please talk to your doctor soon about "Wet Beriberi".  Your doctor should be able to give an IV of high dose Thiamine.  Over the counter Thiamine in the form called Benfotiamine will help as well. Thiamine deficiency: a commonly unrecognised but easily treatable condition https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC10398819/ Thiamine deficiency disorders: a clinical perspective https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC8451766/
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the tribe, @Aussie Celiac!  How are you progressing?  Are your iron levels getting better?