This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bluebonnet MultiOne

Lotte18

Lotte18 Contributor

Hi all,

I've been taking these everyday for the last month.  When my hip inflammation got really bad I started to wonder if these vitamins had gluten.  They claim to be gluten free.  I just tested them with EZGluten and got a high positive reading.  Are vitamins not covered by the new Federal Law?  Has anyone else tested Bluebonnet?  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor
1 hour ago, Lotte18 said:

Hi all,

I've been taking these everyday for the last month.  When my hip inflammation got really bad I started to wonder if these vitamins had gluten.  They claim to be gluten free.  I just tested them with EZGluten and got a high positive reading.  Are vitamins not covered by the new Federal Law?  Has anyone else tested Bluebonnet?  

From the EZGluten website:

“Can I test non-food items such as supplements, enzymes, medications, cosmetics, toiletries and cleaning products?”

“The EZ Gluten® test was designed and validated for testing foods. While it will also work in a variety of other sample types, we cannot guarantee the results or the limit of detection for non-food items.”

I don’t think the FDA gluten labeling regulations cover dietary supplements yet.

Lotte18 Contributor

Thanks for your reply RMJ.  I'm going to call EZGluten tomorrow to try and get more info.  It seems to me you can get false negatives, but unlikely that you can get a false gluten positive.  But hey, I'm no chemist.

In the meantime, it would be nice to hear from anyone who also might take, or has taken Bluebonnet supplements.  It seems like a major brand.  You're probably right about the FDA labeling.  Does anyone out there know for sure?

Scott Adams Grand Master

I've not had them before, but please let us know what they share with you.

RMJ Mentor
28 minutes ago, Lotte18 said:

Thanks for your reply RMJ.  I'm going to call EZGluten tomorrow to try and get more info.  It seems to me you can get false negatives, but unlikely that you can get a false gluten positive.  But hey, I'm no chemist.

In the meantime, it would be nice to hear from anyone who also might take, or has taken Bluebonnet supplements.  It seems like a major brand.  You're probably right about the FDA labeling.  Does anyone out there know for sure?

I was wrong, see page 3.  The FDA labeling regulation does cover dietary supplements.  Unfortunately, the FDA doesn’t require testing in order to label something as gluten free (which I know is very strange).

FDA gluten free labeling information

knitty kitty Grand Master

It has soybeans.  Do you have a problem with soybeans?  Some Celiacs have to avoid them.  

It also has thiamine mononitrate which is not a bioavailable form of thiamine.  Get additional thiamine as Benfotiamine.  It helps heal the digestive tract.

Lotte18 Contributor

Hi RMJ,  I believe there is a more recent law regulating gluten labeling.  If a product claims to be gluten free it has to test free of gluten.  It can't just have gluten free ingredients.  But I don't know whether vitamins are covered under this latest ruling.   

It does have soybeans but I don't think that's the problem, at least not for me.  My real concern is the gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lotte18 Contributor
13 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I've not had them before, but please let us know what they share with you.

Hi Scott,

I just spoke to EZGluten.  Their test can find up to 10 ppm.  Manufacturers are allowed 20ppm.  So the vitamins probably have gluten.  The only other reason they could test positive is from "some enzyme" included in the recipe.  I'm not going to bother boiling this vitamin down to eliminate enzymes.  I'm just not going to buy supplements anymore.  

Scott Adams Grand Master

Manufacturers are allowed 20ppm.  So the vitamins probably have gluten. 

Note that just because up to 20ppm is allowed before an involuntary product recall could happen, it does not mean that products labelled "gluten-free" regularly contain 5-19ppm. Most likely have zero detected gluten, and if any gluten were detected below 20ppm it should be cause for concern, and most companies would try to find out where the gluten came from so they could eliminate it. Product recalls are very expensive.

Lotte18 Contributor
1 hour ago, Scott Adams said:

Note that just because up to 20ppm is allowed before an involuntary product recall could happen, it does not mean that products labelled "gluten-free" regularly contain 5-19ppm. Most likely have zero detected gluten, and if any gluten were detected below 20ppm it should be cause for concern, and most companies would try to find out where the gluten came from so they could eliminate it. Product recalls are very expensive.

Thanks so much for that info!  I was really starting to worry that I had to look out for a cumulative gluten hit from my "gluten free" food.  

Beverage Rising Star
On 10/18/2022 at 7:35 AM, Lotte18 said:

I'm just not going to buy supplements anymore.  

I've had good luck with Procapslabs.com vitamins. I'm a very sensitive celiac and never had a problem. They have 1 supplement with wheat grass I think, I stay away from that. We use their "Essential 1" for a multi. I've used them for years, before they were sold on tv, and the forms of the vitamins are usually the better more absorbable forms.

Patty harrigan Apprentice
On 10/17/2022 at 10:22 PM, Lotte18 said:

Hi RMJ,  I believe there is a more recent law regulating gluten labeling.  If a product claims to be gluten free it has to test free of gluten.  It can't just have gluten free ingredients.  But I don't know whether vitamins are covered under this latest ruling.   

It does have soybeans but I don't think that's the problem, at least not for me.  My real concern is the gluten.

I have used many different bluebonnet products for decades and have never had I problem. I get seriously sick from gluten and am extremely careful.

Lotte18 Contributor

Hi Patty, I'm glad that you've had a better experience than I have had.   These test strips are really expensive so I'm not going use up a second one on Bluebonnet, which is a very expensive supplement to start with.  When I get up the courage to try again I'll try Procapslabs...thank you Beverage!

riverrt Newbie

I have had good luck with Bronson vitamins. Most of them are labeled gluten free.

Lotte18 Contributor

Thanks for the tip!