This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feels like I can’t eat anything

SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus Collaborator
8 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

You'll have good days and bad days.  Some times it feels like one step forward and two back. Which vitamins are you taking now?

8 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

You'll have good days and bad days.  Some times it feels like one step forward and two back. Which vitamins are you taking now?

Really? Why is that? It makes no sense that improving your diet would hurt your body.

currently only take benfotiamine, vitamin D3, and Zinc (sometimes)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SargeMaximus

• knitty kitty

• Wheatwacked

• trents

Top Posters In This Topic

• SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus 165 posts

• knitty kitty

knitty kitty 52 posts

• Wheatwacked

Wheatwacked 41 posts

• trents

trents 40 posts

Posted Images

Wheatwacked Veteran
1 hour ago, SargeMaximus said:

Why is that?

Don't know. You could add Nicotinic acid (B3), Pantothenic acid (b5) and increase your choline (the eggs and  meat are good but you may need more for healing. Increasing your potassium to 5 grams a day, from food only. 98% of K is in the cell, so you can slowly lose a lot before it ever shows in a blood test. Potassium supplements have been flagged by the FDA for causing small intestine leasions.  Potassium Deficiency – Is Gluten To Blame?

Are you getting enough iodine. Essential for muscle tone.

17 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Don't know. You could add Nicotinic acid (B3), Pantothenic acid (b5) and increase your choline (the eggs and  meat are good but you may need more for healing. Increasing your potassium to 5 grams a day, from food only. 98% of K is in the cell, so you can slowly lose a lot before it ever shows in a blood test. Potassium supplements have been flagged by the FDA for causing small intestine leasions.  Potassium Deficiency – Is Gluten To Blame?

Are you getting enough iodine. Essential for muscle tone.

Everything I eat is potassium dense. Sweet potatoes, peanut butter, oatmeal, beans. It’s all potassium.

Edit: I added maca capsules today and maca has iodine supposedly

Beverage Rising Star

If you have been eating gluten free oatmeal, try not eating it for awhile. I used to not be able to eat it at all when first diagnosed with celiacs, but now I can eat purity protocol oats.

1 hour ago, Beverage said:

If you have been eating gluten free oatmeal, try not eating it for awhile. I used to not be able to eat it at all when first diagnosed with celiacs, but now I can eat purity protocol oats.

It’s not that simple. I work a physically demanding job. If I cut out oatmeal I will starve to death as there isn’t much I can eat as it is

Wheatwacked Veteran
On 2/19/2023 at 10:11 PM, SargeMaximus said:

Took an omega 3 pill and the swelling seems to be down.

Looks like a smoking gun to me. Optimum would be 1:1 ratio as is found in 100% grass fed milk.

Sweet potato per 100 grams omega 6 = 60 mg; omega 3 = 4 mg. That equals 60/4 = 15:1 ratio. 90 calories. Sugars = 6.5 grams

Russet potato per 100 grams omega 6 = 32 grams; omega 3 = 10. Equals 3.2:1 ratio. 97 calories. Sugars = 1.1 grams.

Beef, brisket per 100 grams omega 6 = 202 gm; omega 3 = 80 bm. Equals 2.5:1 ratio. 213 calories. zero sugar.

Cereals, oats, instant, fortified omega 6 = 409 mg; omega 3 = 13 mg. Equals 31.5:1. 68 calories. Sugars = 0.5 grams.

Potatoes, Russet, flesh and skin, baked

ravenwoodglass Mentor
6 hours ago, SargeMaximus said:

It’s not that simple. I work a physically demanding job. If I cut out oatmeal I will starve to death as there isn’t much I can eat as it is

Have you tried Cream of Buckwheat? It is gluten free and has a good amount of protein that is easily digested. I use Pocono brand. It is grown and packaged near me and by a company that only grows and packages it so no issues with CC from growing or processing. Also please drop the Cliff bars and go with a snack bar that doesn't contain oats. Simple Mills make one as do Lara Bars and others.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

3 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Looks like a smoking gun to me. Optimum would be 1:1 ratio as is found in 100% grass fed milk.

Sweet potato per 100 grams omega 6 = 60 mg; omega 3 = 4 mg. That equals 60/4 = 15:1 ratio. 90 calories. Sugars = 6.5 grams

Russet potato per 100 grams omega 6 = 32 grams; omega 3 = 10. Equals 3.2:1 ratio. 97 calories. Sugars = 1.1 grams.

Beef, brisket per 100 grams omega 6 = 202 gm; omega 3 = 80 bm. Equals 2.5:1 ratio. 213 calories. zero sugar.

Cereals, oats, instant, fortified omega 6 = 409 mg; omega 3 = 13 mg. Equals 31.5:1. 68 calories. Sugars = 0.5 grams.

Potatoes, Russet, flesh and skin, baked

I don’t get it 

Wheatwacked Veteran

Omega 6 causes inflammation. Omega 3 causes healing. Taking the omega 3 oil changes the ratio. Sweet potato is high in omega 6. meat and russet potato is low for the same calories. With sufficient B vitamins and Choline our bodies should switch easily between modes: fat, protein, carb for energy.

For what its worth a teaspoon of sugar (5 grams) is 19 calories with no omega 6. https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5606/2 For an instant energy burst, pure quick burning calorie intake, a teaspoon of sugar.  Compare to 5 grams of sweet potato at 4 grams per 5 gram serving. Way cheaper than a Clif Bar if energy is the goal. Bring a bottle of sugar water to work.  Don't be prey to the marketing.

Anthropological research suggests that our hunter-gatherer ancestors consumed omega-6 and omega-3 fats in a ratio of roughly 1:1. It also indicates that both ancient and modern hunter-gatherers were free of the modern inflammatory diseases, like heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, that are the primary causes of death and morbidity today.

At the onset of the industrial revolution (about 140 years ago), there was a marked shift in the ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids in the diet. Consumption of n-6 fats increased at the expense of n-3 fats. This change was due to both the advent of the modern vegetable oil industry and the increased use of cereal grains as feed for domestic livestock (which in turn altered the fatty acid profile of meat that humans consumed).

Between 1935 and 1939, the ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids was reported to be 8.4:1. From 1935 to 1985, this ratio increased to 10.3:1 (a 23% increase). Other calculations put the ratio as high as 12.4:1 in 1985. Today, estimates of the ratio range from an average of 10:1 to 20:1, with a ratio as high as 25:1 in some individuals. 

In plain english, what this means is that the more omega-3 fat you eat, the less omega-6 will be available to the tissues to produce inflammation. Omega-6 is pro-inflammatory, while omega-3 is neutral. A diet with a lot of omega-6 and not much omega-3 will increase inflammation. A diet of a lot of omega-3 and not much omega-6 will reduce inflammation.  How Too Much Omega-6 and Not Enough Omega-3 Is Making Us Sick

Edited by Wheatwacked
1 hour ago, Wheatwacked said:

Omega 6 causes inflammation. Omega 3 causes healing. Taking the omega 3 oil changes the ratio. Sweet potato is high in omega 6. meat and russet potato is low for the same calories. With sufficient B vitamins and Choline our bodies should switch easily between modes: fat, protein, carb for energy.

For what its worth a teaspoon of sugar (5 grams) is 19 calories with no omega 6. https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5606/2 For an instant energy burst, pure quick burning calorie intake, a teaspoon of sugar.  Compare to 5 grams of sweet potato at 4 grams per 5 gram serving. Way cheaper than a Clif Bar if energy is the goal. Bring a bottle of sugar water to work.  Don't be prey to the marketing.

You must not have read my previous post where I mentioned the downsides of sugar and russet potatoes on my skin. I’m insulted

Wheatwacked Veteran

So 10 pages, one mention of using a sugar substitute, one mention of sugar in candy bar causing face to flare and another mention that sugar causes swelling, subsquently resolved with omega 6. Omega 3 will only work on omega 6. Could the roscacia be cross contamination with walnuts and cashews on the assembly line?

No mention ever of a problem with potatoe except constipation and multiple mention of wanting to cook meat and potatos. Russet never mentioned at all. All of your patterns point to the rush when you eat gluten followed by the let down. Same rush alcoholics have on that first drink of the day. Why the anger when gluten free is mentioned. Bet you can't go a month.  As I remember you said you were fine until the new job made you eat bread and you want to gain weight. eating gluten now causes more problems. Thats a classic Celiac response. One action of the opiods is contipation. That's why it used to be a treatment for diahrea.

You are in classic denial. Get over it, already.

How about a stuffed baked potato wrapped in foil. Hand food. Healthy snack.

This is the second time you have insulted me for no good reason, which by the way is another indication of someone struggling with addiction. Keep working to raise your D as fast as you can and consider adding 5 mg a day of Lithium Picolate to help with the impatience and anger.

1. Did you know that 1 cup of white potatoes has 305mg of potassium and only 166 calories? Making a ratio of 2.69  Posted December 23, 2022
  2. Second of all, go away until you can learn to reply without assuming you know everything about me. Posted December 24, 2022
  3. burgers (which have sugar in the mustard and ketchup, tomatoes in the ketchup, pickles, Soy lechtin in the Patties, processed cheese and white bread for the bun) affect me in a VERY positive way. Like, I feel invincible and get a lot of lasting energy for the whole day whenever I eat them. Posted December 27, 2022
  4. sweet potatoes but I always get that pain in my right upper abdomen afterwards. Posted January 2
  5. potatoes cause constipation Posted January 5
  6. I had a few protein bars today just randomly and I felt absolutely incredible! Any idea why? “Healthy food” doesn’t give me this feeling. Posted January 9
  7. I've had bad brain fog lately. I always seem to come back to bread because it's the only thing my body seems to respond to. Posted January 10
  8.  I want to be able to cook my meat ant potatoes Posted January 29
  9. issues that brought me here in the first place that were present without bread in my diet Posted February 4
  10. I’m thinking of making some potato wedges. My face flares up when I eat sugar as well Posted February 7
  11. Update: been off gluten since last week I believe. Had bowel issues today. also, my boss took us to Denny’s today I had SO much energy and just felt good in general.   Posted February 9
  12. cashews and walnuts give me rosacea. I’m having worse digestive issues than I ever had with gluten now that I’m gluten free Posted February 10
  13. Digestive issues started after I quit eating bread  Posted February 11
  14. I never had digestive issues. The digestive issues happened AFTER I went gluten free. I rationalized that I need carbs because I can’t put on weight. Keep in mind I was entirely gluten free for years before the last 2 Posted February 11
  15. today I had a&w but I had my burger wrapped in lettuce No digestive issues Posted February 13
  16. IBS is back today Posted February 15
  17. Like NOTHING helped all day till I had that cliff bar. Posted February 19
  18. My right hand and fingers have been slightly swollen for a few days. I think it’s the sugar. Took an omega 3 pill and the swelling seems to be down. Posted February 19
  19. Feeling irritated and brain fog last few days. Not eating any gluten except for whatever is in a clif bar (can’t be enough to matter, Posted February 22
Edited by Wheatwacked
patty-maguire Contributor

You're over thinking this and being rude to people who are taking their time to try to help you.

A healthy diet is not about measuring micrograms of this or that mineral, it's about eating food.  Unless you have labs that say you are deficient or over in a particular nutrient, just eat food.

If you think you have an intolerance, gluten or something else, try an elimination diet.  Take it out of your diet for a few weeks then add it back in.  If you have an intolerance you'll react.

All this worrying about details can be stressful which can cause rashes and digestive upset.

Look at your diet as a whole, not as a chemistry project.  Look into the Mediterranean diet, it's a good standard healthful approach to eating and can be done gluten free if necessary.

Try to be patient with yourself and others.  You'll be happier and so will those around you.

2 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

So 10 pages, one mention of using a sugar substitute, one mention of sugar in candy bar causing face to flare and another mention that sugar causes swelling, subsquently resolved with omega 6. Omega 3 will only work on omega 6. Could the roscacia be cross contamination with walnuts and cashews on the assembly line?

No mention ever of a problem with potatoe except constipation and multiple mention of wanting to cook meat and potatos. Russet never mentioned at all. All of your patterns point to the rush when you eat gluten followed by the let down. Same rush alcoholics have on that first drink of the day. Why the anger when gluten free is mentioned. Bet you can't go a month.  As I remember you said you were fine until the new job made you eat bread and you want to gain weight. eating gluten now causes more problems. Thats a classic Celiac response. One action of the opiods is contipation. That's why it used to be a treatment for diahrea.

You are in classic denial. Get over it, already.

How about a stuffed baked potato wrapped in foil. Hand food. Healthy snack.

This is the second time you have insulted me for no good reason, which by the way is another indication of someone struggling with addiction. Keep working to raise your D as fast as you can and consider adding 5 mg a day of Lithium Picolate to help with the impatience and anger.

1. Did you know that 1 cup of white potatoes has 305mg of potassium and only 166 calories? Making a ratio of 2.69  Posted December 23, 2022
  2. Second of all, go away until you can learn to reply without assuming you know everything about me. Posted December 24, 2022
  3. burgers (which have sugar in the mustard and ketchup, tomatoes in the ketchup, pickles, Soy lechtin in the Patties, processed cheese and white bread for the bun) affect me in a VERY positive way. Like, I feel invincible and get a lot of lasting energy for the whole day whenever I eat them. Posted December 27, 2022
  4. sweet potatoes but I always get that pain in my right upper abdomen afterwards. Posted January 2
  5. potatoes cause constipation Posted January 5
  6. I had a few protein bars today just randomly and I felt absolutely incredible! Any idea why? “Healthy food” doesn’t give me this feeling. Posted January 9
  7. I've had bad brain fog lately. I always seem to come back to bread because it's the only thing my body seems to respond to. Posted January 10
  8.  I want to be able to cook my meat ant potatoes Posted January 29
  9. issues that brought me here in the first place that were present without bread in my diet Posted February 4
  10. I’m thinking of making some potato wedges. My face flares up when I eat sugar as well Posted February 7
  11. Update: been off gluten since last week I believe. Had bowel issues today. also, my boss took us to Denny’s today I had SO much energy and just felt good in general.   Posted February 9
  12. cashews and walnuts give me rosacea. I’m having worse digestive issues than I ever had with gluten now that I’m gluten free Posted February 10
  13. Digestive issues started after I quit eating bread  Posted February 11
  14. I never had digestive issues. The digestive issues happened AFTER I went gluten free. I rationalized that I need carbs because I can’t put on weight. Keep in mind I was entirely gluten free for years before the last 2 Posted February 11
  15. today I had a&w but I had my burger wrapped in lettuce No digestive issues Posted February 13
  16. IBS is back today Posted February 15
  17. Like NOTHING helped all day till I had that cliff bar. Posted February 19
  18. My right hand and fingers have been slightly swollen for a few days. I think it’s the sugar. Took an omega 3 pill and the swelling seems to be down. Posted February 19
  19. Feeling irritated and brain fog last few days. Not eating any gluten except for whatever is in a clif bar (can’t be enough to matter, Posted February 22

I’m more than a month gluten free at this point and I’ve done years before. Stop projecting. Sugar and white potatoes cause rosacea flare up and inflammation. End of

update: Hard to concentrate and brain fog lately. No gluten for over a month. Today I ate:

sweet potatoes, oatmeal, ground beef, gluten free bread, coconut oil, whey protein, peanut butter, black beans, honey, and Oolong tea. That’s what I eat most days.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Hey, @SargeMaximus!  

Still struggling, I see. 

Does the whey protein cause you inflammation?  Dairy is very inflammatory for me.  It's not just lactose intolerance, it's a reaction to casein, the protein in dairy.  Whey is going to have some casein in it, too.

Are you taking magnesium?  Thiamine needs magnesium to function properly.  

Are you taking a B Complex?  All eight B vitamins work together, so a B Complex in addition to the Benfotiamine and magnesium might help. 

Tryptophan (a form of Niacin B 3) and Pyridoxine B6 are often low.   Tryptophan helps heal the intestines.  Pyridoxine B6 makes enzymes with Thiamine. 

Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Hey, @SargeMaximus!  

Still struggling, I see. 

Does the whey protein cause you inflammation?  Dairy is very inflammatory for me.  It's not just lactose intolerance, it's a reaction to casein, the protein in dairy.  Whey is going to have some casein in it, too.

Are you taking magnesium?  Thiamine needs magnesium to function properly.  

Are you taking a B Complex?  All eight B vitamins work together, so a B Complex in addition to the Benfotiamine and magnesium might help. 

Tryptophan (a form of Niacin B 3) and Pyridoxine B6 are often low.   Tryptophan helps heal the intestines.  Pyridoxine B6 makes enzymes with Thiamine. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks for checking in. Yeah still having issues. I feel worse tbh. It’s almost like my body can’t use these non gluten carbs.

I’ve eaten whey for years and not had trouble. I removed honey from my protein sandwich (the one I put whey in) and felt a bit better today so maybe it was the honey idk. But overall just feel tired and drained like I can’t get any energy. 

I eat black beans which are high in magnesium.

I will take a B complex as I already have one but when I do I usually feel worse and my pee turns green so I assume that is an excess of the vitamins

Update: feeling better today. Had a Mars bar yesterday. Maybe sugar in small doses is ok. Have also developed a craving for coffee lately. I used to be strictly a tea guy

Update: after feeling like I was dying yesterday I decided to take a few vitamins this morning to see if that did anything (it honestly feels like going gluten free is similar to cutting off a limb to stop a paper cut from bleeding. Not worth it and very damaging) anyhow I took: 

D3, Benfotiamine, Zinc, B12

i feel much better but still not 100%. Haven’t had gluten in over 30 days. 

Update: tried the same combo of vitamins yesterday and didn’t feel any better so I don’t know why I did the first time.

today my face is peeling hella badly. I’m thinking it’s the coffee (for some reason I’m craving it a lot recently). Still no gluten. I switched back to tea but if the face isn’t resolved the only new addition that remains are the daily vitamins 

shadycharacter Enthusiast
On 3/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, SargeMaximus said:

Update: after feeling like I was dying yesterday I decided to take a few vitamins this morning to see if that did anything (it honestly feels like going gluten free is similar to cutting off a limb to stop a paper cut from bleeding. Not worth it and very damaging) anyhow I took: 

D3, Benfotiamine, Zinc, B12

i feel much better but still not 100%. Haven’t had gluten in over 30 days. 

Just a thought, if flour is fortified with folate where you live, maybe that's why you crave wheat? 

2 hours ago, SargeMaximus said:

Update: tried the same combo of vitamins yesterday and didn’t feel any better so I don’t know why I did the first time.

today my face is peeling hella badly. I’m thinking it’s the coffee (for some reason I’m craving it a lot recently). Still no gluten. I switched back to tea but if the face isn’t resolved the only new addition that remains are the daily vitamins 

If the peeling you're talking about is exfoliating dermatitis, then this could perpaps be of interest:

Nine patients with chronic exfoliative dermatitis were studied in order to delineate the problem of folate loss and absorption in this condition. Low serum folate activity was found in six patients. The folate content of exfoliated skin was compared with values obtained from normal skin, and a four- to six-fold increase was observed. At least 5μg to 20μg of folate activity were lost daily in the exfoliated skin from these patients. The gastrointestinal absorption of folic acid was normal in the three patients in which this was studied. It is shown that significantly large folate losses occur from skin sloughing in exfoliative dermatitis.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/575159

This has grown into a long thread by now, and I admit I haven't read up on everything that has been written. Perhaps you said you'd been to the doctor for tests and that everything was OK, I don't remember. Has anyone diagnosed the skin problem you mention? Anyway, I hope you find a solution.

5 minutes ago, shadycharacter said:

If the peeling you're talking about is exfoliating dermatitis, then this could perpaps be of interest:

Nine patients with chronic exfoliative dermatitis were studied in order to delineate the problem of folate loss and absorption in this condition. Low serum folate activity was found in six patients. The folate content of exfoliated skin was compared with values obtained from normal skin, and a four- to six-fold increase was observed. At least 5μg to 20μg of folate activity were lost daily in the exfoliated skin from these patients. The gastrointestinal absorption of folic acid was normal in the three patients in which this was studied. It is shown that significantly large folate losses occur from skin sloughing in exfoliative dermatitis.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/575159

This has grown into a long thread by now, and I admit I haven't read up on everything that has been written. Perhaps you said you'd been to the doctor for tests and that everything was OK, I don't remember. Has anyone diagnosed the skin problem you mention? Anyway, I hope you find a solution.

Thanks for stopping by. So I don’t normally peel. It’s exclusively because of things I eat and over the years I’ve learned what I can eat that doesn’t trigger it. Are you saying maybe I just need folate?

2 minutes ago, SargeMaximus said:

Thanks for stopping by. So I don’t normally peel. It’s exclusively because of things I eat and over the years I’ve learned what I can eat that doesn’t trigger it. Are you saying maybe I just need folate?

I've no idea, really. Was just thinking that in some countries wheat flour is fortified with folate, so that without wheat you get less, unless you get the same amount from something else. 

7 minutes ago, shadycharacter said:

I've no idea, really. Was just thinking that in some countries wheat flour is fortified with folate, so that without wheat you get less, unless you get the same amount from something else. 

I’m not actively taking folate. I didn’t even think it was a thing but this skin flare up seems to be onset with the coffee. So coffee, sugar, cream, could all be doing it. Or maybe the vitamins like I said. I remember taking a multivitamin once and I got really sick. Also, when I took B vitamins in the past I got mouth sores that my doctor told me were caused by a LACK of B vitamins! So very peculiar 

Update: Felt amazing this morning and my skin was clearer. All I had eaten were some salted peanuts, Doritos, and coffee. I didn’t take any vitamins or supplements.

im currently testing to see if the vitamins are causing my skin issues so I will be eating everything I normally do minus the vitamins and supplements.