This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feels like I can’t eat anything

SargeMaximus

knitty kitty Grand Master

Chicken meat can trigger a Celiac-like response in some people because the type of protein in dark meat (legs, thighs) resembles a segment of the gluten protein.  

I'm one of those that react to chicken.  You're not alone, @SargeMaximus.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SargeMaximus

• knitty kitty

• Wheatwacked

• trents

Top Posters In This Topic

• SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus 165 posts

• knitty kitty

knitty kitty 52 posts

• Wheatwacked

Wheatwacked 41 posts

• trents

trents 40 posts

Posted Images

SargeMaximus Collaborator
3 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

Chicken meat can trigger a Celiac-like response in some people because the type of protein in dark meat (legs, thighs) resembles a segment of the gluten protein.  

I'm one of those that react to chicken.  You're not alone, @SargeMaximus.

Yeah chicken doesn’t mix well for me. 

since I’m here I might as well give an update:

much the same currently. I switched from mars bars to snickers because apparently Mara bars had gluten. That was some time ago.

recently been experimenting with Glycine and NAC after seeing positive things on YouTube about them. Unfortunately, my body didn’t react well and I got hella bad brain fog and “spaced out” levels of consciousness from it. My doctor told me Glycine is no good. Odd that so many YouTubers hail it as such a good thing. Currently off all multivitamins because of their negative effects

@SargeMaximus,  

You might want to consider continuing the B Complex and the additional Thiamine, and magnesium. 

Do you get enough Vitamin C?  

Do you drink much soda?  

55 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

@SargeMaximus,  

You might want to consider continuing the B Complex and the additional Thiamine, and magnesium. 

Do you get enough Vitamin C?  

Do you drink much soda?  

I drink no soda. Vitamin B complex was making me feel like I was dying. Massive pain and inflammation from it as well as fatigue and brain fog.

never taking it again!

I drink pure pineapple juice every day

I'm surprised at your reaction to B Complex.  Was it gluten free?   I'd like to read the label!  

Read the ingredients on the label.  Any high fructose corn syrup?  Any ascorbic acid?  Any added Vitamin C? 

It's got thiamine mononitrate which is a form that the body cannot use very well.  

This one has thiamine hydrochloride which is better.

https://shop.shoppersdrugmart.ca/vitamin-b-complex-with-vitamin-c/p/BB_057800840190?variantCode=057800840190

What's in the pineapple juice? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

5 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

It's got thiamine mononitrate which is a form that the body cannot use very well.  

What's in the pineapple juice? 

Body can’t use very well isnt the same as makes you feel like your dying. I’m not using it.

pineapple juice is 100% pineapple juice NOT from concentrate. 

Wheatwacked Veteran

Grain fed meats seem to have a higher omega 6 to 3 ratio. Optimum is 1:1. The SAD diet most westerners eat can be as high as 20:1. Omega 6 causes inflammation. Ever check your Homocystein level? It is an independant indicator of cardiovascular inflammation?

One report by the American Pastured Poultry Producers Association found that among pastured chickens, those that were fed soy-containing diets had an omega 6/3 ratio of 8 to 1, while those fed soy-free diets had a much-improved ratio of only 3 to 1.  (For comparison, a chicken labeled “organic free-range” had a ratio of 11.6 to 1, and a chicken labeled “non-organic free range” had a ratio of 11.3 to 1.) Studies of turkey have shown similar omega 6/3 patterns related to diet and forage access.   https://www.thepaleomom.com/for-the-birds-how-poultry-fits-into-a-paleo-diet/#:~:text=One report by the American,of only 3 to 1.

On average, the omega-6:3 ratio for grass-fed cattle is 2:1, while the ratio for grain-fed cattle is 9:1   https://practicalfarmers.org/research/carcass-characteristics-meat-quality-and-fatty-acid-composition-of-100-grass-fed-beef/#:~:text=On average%2C the omega-6,fed cattle is 9%3A1.

24 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

Grain fed meats seem to have a higher omega 6 to 3 ratio. Optimum is 1:1. The SAD diet most westerners eat can be as high as 20:1. Omega 6 causes inflammation. Ever check your Homocystein level? It is an independant indicator of cardiovascular inflammation?

One report by the American Pastured Poultry Producers Association found that among pastured chickens, those that were fed soy-containing diets had an omega 6/3 ratio of 8 to 1, while those fed soy-free diets had a much-improved ratio of only 3 to 1.  (For comparison, a chicken labeled “organic free-range” had a ratio of 11.6 to 1, and a chicken labeled “non-organic free range” had a ratio of 11.3 to 1.) Studies of turkey have shown similar omega 6/3 patterns related to diet and forage access.   https://www.thepaleomom.com/for-the-birds-how-poultry-fits-into-a-paleo-diet/#:~:text=One report by the American,of only 3 to 1.

On average, the omega-6:3 ratio for grass-fed cattle is 2:1, while the ratio for grain-fed cattle is 9:1   https://practicalfarmers.org/research/carcass-characteristics-meat-quality-and-fatty-acid-composition-of-100-grass-fed-beef/#:~:text=On average%2C the omega-6,fed cattle is 9%3A1.

I may have I had a lot of heart tests done over the years. They never found anything

Wheatwacked Veteran

Some have issues with the gums they use in gluten free foods.  Though carbohydrate gum is gluten free. You may be reacting to it.

Also, folic acid but not folate: 

1.  Folic Acid and Risk of Prostate Cancer: Results From a Randomized Clinical Trial  In conclusion, this clinical trial provides evidence that daily supplementation with 1 mg of folic acid was associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer. 
  2. Prostate Cancer Prevention   A 10-year study showed that the risk of prostate cancer was increased in men who took 1 milligram (mg) supplements of folic acid. However, the risk of prostate cancer was lower in men who had enough folate in their diets.

Each tablet contains: Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate) 100 mg Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 100 mg Niacinamide 100 mg Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 100 mg Pantothenic Acid (Calcium d-Pantothenate) 100 mg Inositol 100 mg Choline (Choline Bitartrate) 40 mg Folic Acid 1 mg Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 100 mcg Biotin 100 mcg NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS (descending): Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate Dihydrate, Carbohydrate Gum, Coating (Carbohydrate Gum, Glycerin), Vegetable Grade Magnesium Stearate.

Wheatwacked Veteran

People buy fish oils and other omega 3 products and swear it helps with inflammation, joints, etc. It works because it balances the :=6:3 ratio. Cheaper and healthier to lower intake of omega 6 in my opinion.

Sweet potato is 17:1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids0.01 g    Omega-6 Fatty Acids0.16 g  https://www.nutritionadvance.com/sweet-potatoes-nutrition-benefits/

0.16 g / 0.01 g = 16:1

.Omega 3 fatty acids: There are about 22.5 milligrams of omega 3s in one medium sized baked potato.Omega 6 fatty acids: There are about 74.4 milligrams in one medium sized baked potato.   https://www.royalgazette.com/archive/lifestyle/article/20110607/potatoes-a-good-source-of-nutrition/#:~:text=Omega 3 fatty acids%3A There,one medium sized baked potato.

74.4 mg / 22.5 mg = 3:1

Edited by Wheatwacked
Wheatwacked Veteran
38 minutes ago, SargeMaximus said:

I may have I had a lot of heart tests done over the years. They never found anything

Homocysteine levels are not usually done. Normal is around less than 19 deoending on the lab reference range. I am currently at 18. Only god knows what it was in 2014 when I could barely stand for 5 minutes.

Wheatwacked Veteran

"A homocysteine test is a blood test. It measures the amount of homocysteine, an amino acid in the body. The test is often used to diagnose vitamin B6, B9 or B12 [also choline] deficiency. People with elevated homocysteine may have a higher risk for cardiovascular disease. In newborns, homocysteine testing can help diagnose a rare condition called homocystinuria."  Cleveland Clinic: Homocysteine Test

39 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

Some have issues with the gums they use in gluten free foods.  Though carbohydrate gum is gluten free. You may be reacting to it.

Also, folic acid but not folate: 

1.  Folic Acid and Risk of Prostate Cancer: Results From a Randomized Clinical Trial  In conclusion, this clinical trial provides evidence that daily supplementation with 1 mg of folic acid was associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer. 
  2. Prostate Cancer Prevention   A 10-year study showed that the risk of prostate cancer was increased in men who took 1 milligram (mg) supplements of folic acid. However, the risk of prostate cancer was lower in men who had enough folate in their diets.

Each tablet contains: Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate) 100 mg Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 100 mg Niacinamide 100 mg Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 100 mg Pantothenic Acid (Calcium d-Pantothenate) 100 mg Inositol 100 mg Choline (Choline Bitartrate) 40 mg Folic Acid 1 mg Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 100 mcg Biotin 100 mcg NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS (descending): Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate Dihydrate, Carbohydrate Gum, Coating (Carbohydrate Gum, Glycerin), Vegetable Grade Magnesium Stearate.

Yeah, just not good. I’m gonna get my multivitamin from beef and cod liver instead. 

trents Grand Master
40 minutes ago, SargeMaximus said:

Yeah, just not good. I’m gonna get my multivitamin from beef and cod liver instead. 

If you're gonna do that, watch out for elevated uric acid and gout.

Pineapple juice....

Have you looked into Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome? 

5 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

People buy fish oils and other omega 3 products and swear it helps with inflammation, joints, etc. It works because it balances the :=6:3 ratio. Cheaper and healthier to lower intake of omega 6 in my opinion.

Sweet potato is 17:1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids0.01 g    Omega-6 Fatty Acids0.16 g  https://www.nutritionadvance.com/sweet-potatoes-nutrition-benefits/

0.16 g / 0.01 g = 16:1

.Omega 3 fatty acids: There are about 22.5 milligrams of omega 3s in one medium sized baked potato.Omega 6 fatty acids: There are about 74.4 milligrams in one medium sized baked potato.   https://www.royalgazette.com/archive/lifestyle/article/20110607/potatoes-a-good-source-of-nutrition/#:~:text=Omega 3 fatty acids%3A There,one medium sized baked potato.

74.4 mg / 22.5 mg = 3:1

Yea but most of those fish oil pills are rancid and actually damage your body in subtle ways including organ damage

4 hours ago, trents said:

If you're gonna do that, watch out for elevated uric acid and gout.

How so? 

34 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

Pineapple juice....

Have you looked into Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome? 

Why are you fixating on pineapple juice when it doesn’t cause me issues but trying so hard to get me to take multivitamins that I’m telling you make me feel like I’m dying? I’m about to block you tbh. Explain 

Elevated uric acid and gout are sometimes caused by Thiamine deficiency.

Wheatwacked Veteran

Pineapple has Bromelain.  Omega 3 Fatty Acid / Bromelain is used for Diet supplement, High triglyceride levels, Adjunct in secondary prevention in heart attack patients, Skin burns, Osteoarthritis, Sinus inflammation after surgery or injury, Muscle relaxant, Muscle contraction stimulant, Antibiotic absorption, Labor shortening and other conditions.

How about a Hawaiian Pizza on a gluten free crust? Ham, pineapple, mozzarella, tomato sauce, olive oil. They seem like all good ingredients and Should be significant calories.

8 ounces of even farm raised salmon has 27 mcg of Vitamin D.

Salmon (wild)        6.0 oz = 1,774 mg Omega 3

Salmon (farmed)   6.0 oz = 4,504 mg Omega 3

5 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

Pineapple has Bromelain.  Omega 3 Fatty Acid / Bromelain is used for Diet supplement, High triglyceride levels, Adjunct in secondary prevention in heart attack patients, Skin burns, Osteoarthritis, Sinus inflammation after surgery or injury, Muscle relaxant, Muscle contraction stimulant, Antibiotic absorption, Labor shortening and other conditions.

How about a Hawaiian Pizza on a gluten free crust? Ham, pineapple, mozzarella, tomato sauce, olive oil. They seem like all good ingredients and Should be significant calories.

8 ounces of even farm raised salmon has 27 mcg of Vitamin D.

Salmon (wild)        6.0 oz = 1,774 mg Omega 3

Salmon (farmed)   6.0 oz = 4,504 mg Omega 3

Ham is too salty for my tastes. But what’s wrong with just pineapple juice? And what’s wrong with liver?

salmon has too much mercury. Surprised you don’t know that 

shadycharacter Enthusiast
On 4/16/2023 at 2:56 AM, SargeMaximus said:

update: No changes. Gonna try and take dairy out of my diet. Soon I’ll have a grand total of like 5 foods I can actually eat

Did the no dairy help? In case you have a problem with lactose you don't need to cut out all dairy, just choose wisely and maybe try a lactase enzyme supplement. 

It's quite common with a reduced tolerance for lactose if you're gluten intolerant.

7 minutes ago, shadycharacter said:

Did the no dairy help? In case you have a problem with lactose you don't need to cut out all dairy, just choose wisely and maybe try a lactase enzyme supplement. 

It's quite common with a reduced tolerance for lactose if you're gluten intolerant.

No it didn’t. Stopping supplements has seemed to give some improvement however

Wheatwacked Veteran

Pineapple juice is good.  I prefer the fruit fresh, myself. I go on periodic binges with it.  It's pretty cheap and available where I live.

Since those big fish eat all the small fish in the ocean and collect mercury, I would think farm raised would be mercury free.

According to the Environmental Defense Fund, salmon across the board is considered low in mercury, making it one of the safest fish to eat. The only popular seafood options that are lower in mercury than salmon are anchovies, sardines, oysters, scallops and shrimp. 

Salmon mercury levels come out to approximately 0.022 ppm — a far cry from the high mercury levels found in swordfish and shark.  Is Salmon High in Mercury? by Citta Paramita May 14, 2021

Wheatwacked Veteran

‌Farm-raised salmon are grown in tanks or freshwater enclosures. They are bred to be eaten. Sometimes, they have a different texture and varying nutrients. This is because of the different diets they're given.May 28, 2021  Web MD: Difference Between Wild and Farm-Raised Salmon