This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feels like I can’t eat anything

SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus Collaborator
5 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

Pineapple juice is good.  I prefer the fruit fresh, myself. I go on periodic binges with it.  It's pretty cheap and available where I live.

Since those big fish eat all the small fish in the ocean and collect mercury, I would think farm raised would be mercury free.

That’s not the case, farm raised are worse

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SargeMaximus

• knitty kitty

• Wheatwacked

• trents

Top Posters In This Topic

• SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus 165 posts

• knitty kitty

knitty kitty 52 posts

• Wheatwacked

Wheatwacked 41 posts

• trents

trents 40 posts

Posted Images

On 5/12/2023 at 7:28 PM, Wheatwacked said:

Pineapple juice is good.  I prefer the fruit fresh, myself. I go on periodic binges with it.  It's pretty cheap and available where I live.

Since those big fish eat all the small fish in the ocean and collect mercury, I would think farm raised would be mercury free.

How does this look as far as vitamins and minerals btw? https://canadianprotein.com/products/mass-gainer?variant=41635789766703

knitty kitty Grand Master

Looks awful.  It only has Vitamins A and C.  

All the rest of the list are amino acids.  Not vitamins.

Amino acids are like building blocks.  You need vitamins to stick them together to make proteins that build muscles.

Wheatwacked Veteran

As a supplement to gain mass, I would avoid the one called Cookies and Cream for sure. Looks like they use sucralose in other similar products, but the Nutrition and Ingredients tabs for this are empy. That's a red flag to me.  Knitty Kitty found it has vitamin A and C.  Stay away from synthetic A and betacarotenes as much as you can. Run, don't walk away from this one.  

I've used Muscle Milk and was good with it. 

National Institutes of Health: Vitamin A and Carotenoids     The Alpha-Tocopherol, Beta-Carotene (ATBC) Cancer Prevention Study also found that beta-carotene supplements increased the risk of lung cancer in smokers ...he overall rate of death, primarily from lung cancer and ischemic heart disease, was 8% higher in participants who took beta-carotene....Participants who had taken beta-carotene in the original trial did not have a higher risk of lung cancer, but they had a 20% higher risk of death due to prostate cancer... the end of AREDS2 (during which they took the AREDS2 formulation containing lutein and zeaxanthin instead of beta-carotene), the increased lung cancer risk persisted, with an 82% higher risk among participants who took the supplement containing beta-carotene during the 5-year AREDS2 trial

6 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

As a supplement to gain mass, I would avoid the one called Cookies and Cream for sure. Looks like they use sucralose in other similar products, but the Nutrition and Ingredients tabs for this are empy. That's a red flag to me.  Knitty Kitty found it has vitamin A and C.  Stay away from synthetic A and betacarotenes as much as you can. Run, don't walk away from this one.  

I've used Muscle Milk and was good with it. 

Ah ok thank you so much. Does this apply to beta carotene from sweet potato? Also I don’t smoke

Wheatwacked Veteran

The trials were using supplements ie. lab created, not food.sourced. 

image.png.9a6028db5de8dc0c26d72f69d8ea8a6e.png

25 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

The trials were using supplements ie. lab created, not food.sourced. 

image.png.9a6028db5de8dc0c26d72f69d8ea8a6e.png

Ok thanks. Have you

ever looked into Glycine and NAC? I was taking them for a while but they caused massive brain fog and a spaced out state of mind. They increased my physical endurance and well being tho so I’d like to know how to compensate for that if I could.’they seem too good to pass up if that is possible 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatwacked Veteran

Try Red Bull. The inclusion of taurine in energy drinks is most likely due to its hypothesized effect on mental and athletic performance. Taurine supplementation has been linked to improved exercise capacity and may therefore help individuals to meet physical goals. It works good for me, but I had to go Keto to get my glucose under control.  Even so one night I drank two 12 ounce cans and my glucose only went up 24 mg/dl and by morning was back to my baseline of 180. The next day I ate some donuts (stupid, I know) and glucose jumped to 280 and stayed there through the next day.  For some reason my glucose themostate is stuck at 180. On keto I am at 150 now and seems to be trending down.  I seem to handle sugar fine, but not other "modern sweeteners?"?.

Wheatwacked Veteran

Taurine is called a conditional essential amino acid. Like choline, our bodies make some, but not really enough.  Taurine is available as a supplement, but you could probably use the extra calories from the real sugar in Red Bull, anyway.

41 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

Taurine is called a conditional essential amino acid. Like choline, our bodies make some, but not really enough.  Taurine is available as a supplement, but you could probably use the extra calories from the real sugar in Red Bull, anyway.

I’ve always been afraid of energy drinks because I don’t want to tax my adrenal and heart systems tho

herminia Apprentice
On 12/22/2022 at 2:01 AM, SargeMaximus said:

Hi guys, hope you’re all doing well.

I’m 34 and am starting to feel like I can’t eat anything. Tried giving up gluten but I need carbs. I weigh 155lbs and am 6 feet tall. I don’t do anything but sit around and eat as much as I can but it seems like it’s never enough. Something doesn’t add up there. I eat really healthy (beef/pork, coconut oil, olive oil, oatmeal, beans, Greek yogurt, pineapple juice). 

problem is, too much oatmeal and I get hella constipated. Also I’m worried I will end up getting too much potassium what with all the beans and oatmeal.

any tips? I’ve never been diagnosed for celiac but I got off gluten years ago and I felt great so I’m assuming that is the answer. Problem is I’m always hungry now and oatmeal is giving me constipation so I need a better carb. I also want to avoid rice if at all possible. Thanks for the help :)

Why do you want to give up rice? It's in many gluten free products, esp gluten-free bread. I eat a lot of sandwiches with fresh meats and cheese and lettuce, tomatoes. There's always possibility of contamination, but I buy the Lays Variety box of chips for my sandwiches. I eat lots of salads, feel comfortable eating steak, pork chops, etc with mashed potatoes and broccoli., Make my own hamburgers w cheese, mushrooms, gluten-free buns. gluten-free pastas are available now, so that helps.  Readymade meals are at the grocery store as well. Amy's enchiladas are delicious, as are many Mexican foods. Lots of restaurants are now fixing gluten-free foods

Constipation is often an issue, but there are gluten-free products at the grocery store that you can mix in your drink daily and take care of that issue.

I am definitely not an expert, but this has worked for me. Good luck on this path we celiacs are traveling!

Wheatwacked Veteran

When you talk about those drinks with weird named exotic ingredients I wholly agree. Red Bull Energy Drink in Austria on April 1, 1987 has been around and no class action suits I'm aware of. I am not promoting it, just thimk it or something like it might help you. I find it soothes me and my tummy.  Just feel better after i drink a can. It's awesome with a Snickers.  In my working days I'd have two double espressos and a Red Blue before work. Kept me going most of the day. Maybe those vitamins kept me from succumbing to Celiac earlier.

Taurine is an essential nutrient that we make ourselves but sometimes don't make enough.  European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) suggested in its 2012 guidelines that you can safely take up to 6 grams per day.

Red Bull ingredients, Carbonated water, sugar, glucose, citric acid, Taurine, flavoring, baking soda, Magnesium, colors, caffiene, vitamins B3, B6, B5, and B12.

All stuff we eat daily. In fact it is a pretty  good source of B vitamins in place of pills.  Bring your own Thiamin.  Real sugar gets into the blood and to the cells real quick. It does not have Ginseng, or similar plants which do have potential bad effects. 

6 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

When you talk about those drinks with weird named exotic ingredients I wholly agree. Red Bull Energy Drink in Austria on April 1, 1987 has been around and no class action suits I'm aware of. I am not promoting it, just thimk it or something like it might help you. I find it soothes me and my tummy.  Just feel better after i drink a can. It's awesome with a Snickers.  In my working days I'd have two double espressos and a Red Blue before work. Kept me going most of the day. Maybe those vitamins kept me from succumbing to Celiac earlier.

Taurine is an essential nutrient that we make ourselves but sometimes don't make enough.  European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) suggested in its 2012 guidelines that you can safely take up to 6 grams per day.

Red Bull ingredients, Carbonated water, sugar, glucose, citric acid, Taurine, flavoring, baking soda, Magnesium, colors, caffiene, vitamins B3, B6, B5, and B12.

All stuff we eat daily. In fact it is a pretty  good source of B vitamins in place of pills.  Bring your own Thiamin.  Real sugar gets into the blood and to the cells real quick. It does not have Ginseng, or similar plants which do have potential bad effects. 

Ok I’ll try it next weekend. I don’t like experimenting on work days in case s$#& goes bad. Thanks

Wheatwacked Veteran
32 minutes ago, SargeMaximus said:

don’t like experimenting on work days

Good idea.

26 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

Good idea.

Bro I just looked it up, what the heck this sounds completely unsafe. Is there no way to get the Taurine and B vitamins elsewhere? 
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/red-bull-side-effects#:~:text=Despite these increases%2C moderate and,11 %2C 12%2C 13 ).

Wheatwacked Veteran

Sure, I get most of my vitamins and minerals from Piping Rock. Link below. I don't know if there would be surcharges to import to Canada, but as Red Bull is international I assume it is sold in your local stores.

Taurine

I am curious, what is unsafe?  I thought since you had problems with reactions to other vitamin pills this might be a good food source of B vitamins for you.  25 years of sales, no actual problems but lots of negative inuendo.  Nothing in the Red Bull list of ingredients has a Safe Tolerable Upper Limit set other than magnesium.

Unfortunately the same people saying Red Bull is bad are the ones telling you Gluten is good.  Monster, agreed, avoid.  We are evolved to consume sugar and glucose. There is no dedicated metabolic path for High Fructose Corn Syrup or the other synthetic sweeteners.

I would be drinking the Red Bull, but my current meal plans has to stay less than 50 grams of carbohydrates while I work on reversing diabetes.

Major misinformation: Red Bull, according to the ingredients on the can label does Not have glucuronolactone, inositol or caramel as this article incorrectly states.  Flat out misinformation that is picked up and regurgitated by others.

Each 250 ml (8.3 oz) can of Red Bull contains the following: 1000 mg of taurine, 600mg of glucuronolactone, 80 mg of caffeine, 18 mg of niacin (niacinamide), 6 mg of pantothenic acid (calcium d-pantothenate), 2 mg of vitamin B6 (pyridoxide HCI), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamine), inositol, and nonmedicinal ingredients: carbonated water, sucrose, glucose (27 grams of sugar), citric acid, flavors, and caramelRed Bull®: The Other Energy Drink and its  Effect on Performance

Monster Energy Blend: Glucose, taurine, panax ginseng extract, l-Carnitine, caffeine, glucuronolactone, inositol, guarana extract, maltodextrin. Caffeine from All Sources: 80 mg per 8 fl. oz. serving (160 mg per can).

On 5/15/2023 at 7:50 AM, Wheatwacked said:

Sure, I get most of my vitamins and minerals from Piping Rock. Link below. I don't know if there would be surcharges to import to Canada, but as Red Bull is international I assume it is sold in your local stores.

Taurine

I am curious, what is unsafe?  I thought since you had problems with reactions to other vitamin pills this might be a good food source of B vitamins for you.  25 years of sales, no actual problems but lots of negative inuendo.  Nothing in the Red Bull list of ingredients has a Safe Tolerable Upper Limit set other than magnesium.

Unfortunately the same people saying Red Bull is bad are the ones telling you Gluten is good.  Monster, agreed, avoid.  We are evolved to consume sugar and glucose. There is no dedicated metabolic path for High Fructose Corn Syrup or the other synthetic sweeteners.

I would be drinking the Red Bull, but my current meal plans has to stay less than 50 grams of carbohydrates while I work on reversing diabetes.

Major misinformation: Red Bull, according to the ingredients on the can label does Not have glucuronolactone, inositol or caramel as this article incorrectly states.  Flat out misinformation that is picked up and regurgitated by others.

Monster Energy Blend: Glucose, taurine, panax ginseng extract, l-Carnitine, caffeine, glucuronolactone, inositol, guarana extract, maltodextrin. Caffeine from All Sources: 80 mg per 8 fl. oz. serving (160 mg per can).

Ok I bought a can to try. Also had sourdough bread today since they were out of gluten free. Has anyone tried those pills that they advertise on this forum to absorb the gluten in your stomach? Im seriously considering them since gluten free bread had a ton of down sides: 

it’s too dry

its not stocked on shelves very well

i feel awful on it

it costs too much for what little you get (I’m done a loaf in About 2 days)

It goes moldy in less than a week even if refrigerated 

also, started taking benfotiamine again. I gotta do something I feel like I’m dying here.

also got myself an air purifier on the off chance I have mold in my basement suite but I just did a massive clean on Sunday and didn’t find anything, scrubbed and washed all floors even under the fridge and stuff. Still feel like crap. All this BEFORE having the sourdough which was only tonight as I needed a loaf for my home made energy snacks

Wheatwacked Veteran

Keep the bread in the freezer and nuke the slices for about a minute for two slices.

I had a hamburger between two portabella mushroom caps.

shadycharacter Enthusiast
3 hours ago, SargeMaximus said:

Ok I bought a can to try. Also had sourdough bread today since they were out of gluten free. Has anyone tried those pills that they advertise on this forum to absorb the gluten in your stomach? Im seriously considering them since gluten free bread had a ton of down sides: 

it’s too dry

its not stocked on shelves very well

i feel awful on it

it costs too much for what little you get (I’m done a loaf in About 2 days)

It goes moldy in less than a week even if refrigerated 

also, started taking benfotiamine again. I gotta do something I feel like I’m dying here.

also got myself an air purifier on the off chance I have mold in my basement suite but I just did a massive clean on Sunday and didn’t find anything, scrubbed and washed all floors even under the fridge and stuff. Still feel like crap. All this BEFORE having the sourdough which was only tonight as I needed a loaf for my home made energy snacks

If you dont feel too bad eating regular (i e not gluten free) bread, you could make use of that and do a "gluten challenge" where you use regular bread for 6 to 8 weeks and then have your antibodies tested. 

The pills you mention contains an enzyme that breaks down gluten, but is meant for smaller amounts like from cross contamination. Sourdough have natural enzymes that break down some of the gluten in the dough during the fermentation process. Not enough to make sourdough bread gluten free, but should at least reduce the amount. 

How Much Gluten Is There In Sourdough Bread?

Sourdough bread contains much less gluten than regular yeasted bread due to the fermentation process.

Regular yeasted bread contains around 124,000 ppm of gluten (source). That's pretty huge! But sourdough is not gluten free and still contains upwards of 200 ppm - even after a long fermentation period (source).

Now this is a huge reduction, however it's still not enough to be considered gluten free.

To be considered gluten free, food needs less than 20 ppm

https://www.pantrymama.com/is-sourdough-bread-gluten-free/

5 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Keep the bread in the freezer and nuke the slices for about a minute for two slices.

I can’t make my energy snacks without bread of some kind. I use peanut butter, coconut oil, and whey protein powder and I need it ready and easily accessible as I work in a fast paced environment. Really tired of your judgement on this. It’s not my fault the store was out of gluten free bread. I got the best option I could. Deal

Wheatwacked Veteran

In all, we are not judging you, that's your own job. Just trying to be helpful.

herminia Apprentice
9 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Sorry you're having these issues. Canyon royal has been my go-to bread ; I had small turkey sandwiches on their rolls which were not bad at all; regular sliced bread was not available.  Udis is a joke as far as I'm concerned; definitely not for me. I like the idea of a hamburger on portabella very much. It's sad that we're having to scramble to find foods we need. Amy's has some good items: the enchiladas are great. Cheesy crumbles w kale/ I always add broccoli to input more greens .

I am curious as to who might be ordering bread online and if it's worth the effort? Bread seems to be a big issue for celiacs.

2 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

In all, we are not judging you, that's your own job. Just trying to be helpful.

Maybe I’m thinking too much. Anyhow the links you posted show sourdough bread has like 10x LESS gluten than normal bread. I’ll take that as a substitute any day. I don’t eat any other gluten now. Got rid of pringles and mars bar and switched to Doritos and snickers. 

as for my air purifier, no real change as I’m still stuffed up and phlegmy. I plan to visit the doctor maybe I got a persistent bacterial infection 

Wheatwacked Veteran
1 hour ago, SargeMaximus said:

the links you posted show sourdough bread

Wasn't me.  Although when I started GFD I was really into Fritos and potato chips. Later added corn chips.  Whatever it took to not eat gluten.  Once the addiction is controlled, then I worried about "healthy", although at this point I have found most healthy eating suggestions are more often than not a way to get you to buy their particular product.  Long Live Capitolism.

1 hour ago, SargeMaximus said:

I’m still stuffed up and phlegmy.

I was stuffed up and phlegmy my whole life until I started gluten free at 63.  Most of the breathing problems cleared quickly, and I have been breathing through my nose since 2014 when I started GFD; even though I still smoke a pack of Marlboro a day.  When I was 12, I had pressurized air shot up my nose by the Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT) specialist to clear my eustacian tubes. Worked for about a week.

4 hours ago, herminia said:

Sorry you're having these issues.

Also not me. I just mentioned how I store my bread and that I found the portabella caps made tasty hamburger buns.  When I do buy gluten-free bread, it is Canyon Bakery Heritage Mountain White. The Heritage label means it is normal sized slices. Besides, in my supermarket it is also the cheapest. Yeah Udi's is like pricey cardboard.  Doing keto right now to get my hyperlipidemia and glucose under control. Seems to be working and energy has quadrupled.  Get my quarterly blood and urine sample results tomorrow.

herminia Apprentice
On 12/27/2022 at 9:21 AM, trents said:

For breakfast, I rotate between gluten-free oatmeal, buckwheat, and Might Tasty Hot Cereal (all of these are Bob's Red Mill products). I put a scoop of Bob's gluten-free flax seed meal in for fiber. I add to that a poached egg,  a strip of gluten-free turkey bacon (from Costco), V8 and a glass of either soy milk or skim milk (alternate mornings) with half a scoop of whey protein. I use erythritol as the sweetner. Cofee or tea. I have a sensitivity to eggs so I poach them. The steaming in the poaching process creates a hydrolysis effect that alters the protein.

For lunch, I usually eat a sandwich with gluten-free turkey or ham and a slice of American cheese and a piece of fresh fruit. I use Franz bakery's gluten-free sandwich bread.

The evening meal is a lot of different things with a meat (chicken, pork, beef or fish), a starch (rice, potato, or gluten-free chick pea noodles) and a fruit. My wife makes me gluten-free snacks such as brownies or cupcakes but I also snack on various things like pork rinds and potato chips. I'm not a big confection person but do eat deserts in moderation. I suffer from migraines so there are a number of things I try not to eat much of, particularly things high in tyramine such as pickled and aged things, peanuts and tree nuts. I also limit nightshades.

There are a lot of things that trigger migraines for me but I can eat many of them in smaller amounts and occasionally and I'm okay. It's the gut/brain axis thing at work.

I'm not a particularly sensitive celiac so I will allow myself to eat things sometimes that are not labeled gluten-free but could only contain trace amounts of gluten from handling and processing.

Practical advice. Thanks.

I'm wondering if anyone has the same curiousity about breads that I have. Last week I bought gluten-free Canyon royal buns, which were a bit sweet and small, so I made 2 turkey sandwiches with Lays chips. Yummy.

This week I bought gluten-free Rudy's rocky mountain loaf of regular size slices that I'm going to try in a grilled cheese on sandwich.

Scharrs was not bad. What else is out there, other than Udis....teeny slices, smells bad, falls apart?

Would love to learn what brands are special favorites on this site.