This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feels like I can’t eat anything

SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus Collaborator
1 hour ago, trents said:

Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease

I don’t think I have that 

1 hour ago, knitty kitty said:

Eating a clove of garlic a day is good for other reasons, but there's not enough Allithiamine in one or several cloves to work like the Allithiamine and Benfotiamine supplements.

Ah ok, thank you. I’m excited. Hopefully the thiamine is all I need

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SargeMaximus

• knitty kitty

• Wheatwacked

• trents

Top Posters In This Topic

• SargeMaximus

SargeMaximus 165 posts

• knitty kitty

knitty kitty 52 posts

• Wheatwacked

Wheatwacked 41 posts

• trents

trents 40 posts

Posted Images

knitty kitty Grand Master

@SargeMaximus

Keep us posted on your results!  

😸

trents Grand Master
3 hours ago, SargeMaximus said:

I don’t think I have that

GERD is Commonly called "heart burn" but it's chronic instead of occasional.

Edited by trents
3 hours ago, trents said:

GERD is Commonly called "heart burn" but it's chronic instead of occasional.

Ah ok. Yeah I have that sometimes when I haven’t eaten for a while. But if I been eating regularly I don’t 

Update: Went to the doctor today to discuss my blood results. All normal. No diabetes, good hemoglobin, etc. Doc even said he’s jealous of my cholesterol levels.

so I’m back to problems with no solution. I HAVE started eating rice, however. 

Wheatwacked Veteran

A quarter cup 45 grams of Cream of Rice has been gluten free forever. It has 150 calories, 25% RDA of B vitamins, 70% rda of iron, no sugar, sodium or fat, 2 gm protein. It's right next to the Cream of Wheat in the supermarket.

1 hour ago, Wheatwacked said:

A quarter cup 45 grams of Cream of Rice has been gluten free forever. It has 150 calories, 25% RDA of B vitamins, 70% rda of iron, no sugar, sodium or fat, 2 gm protein. It's right next to the Cream of Wheat in the supermarket.

I’ll give it a try, thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Liquid lunch Enthusiast

@knitty kitty hi :). Today is day three on the thiamin, I found some ‘vit B1 100mg’ in the local health food shop so decided to get these instead of waiting for the benfotiamine in the post.

On day one I ate it quite late in the day after I got back from my shopping and oh my dogs! Definitely not for evening use! Within half an hour I realised what people are talking about with brain fog, when you’ve always had It it’s just normal and I had no idea what it was like not having it. I felt capable of achieving things for the fist time in ages but it was such a good feeling I just put some music on and enjoyed not feeling rubbish for a change.

Day two I ate one in the morning and it wasn’t so noticeable but I always feel worst at that time of day, what did change was I got loads done! (By my standards which are pretty low).

Today the difference is indescribable, my brain feels mentholated! I got the beginning of a tune in my head and managed to remember which album it’s from! I’d pretty much given up on being able to do this and even started forgetting things that I’ve known and practiced regularly for years and then read about thinking this is really useful info only to realise later that it’s something I used to be well aware of.

Normally by this time of day my dogs would be both looking at me with their big eyes wondering when I’m going to be able to get it together to take them for their walk and I’d be hunched in my chair thinking that surely it can’t be that time again already. Today we’ve already been out first thing so they’re happily stretched out in their bed and I’m enjoying my coffee listening to leftism which is the album I managed to remember the name of :).

Thankyou so much! Can’t wait until my sister gets hers to try, I’ll report back when she lets me know how she gets on.

Thanks kitty 😻your an angel!

8 minutes ago, Liquid lunch said:

@knitty kitty hi :). Today is day three on the thiamin, I found some ‘vit B1 100mg’ in the local health food shop so decided to get these instead of waiting for the benfotiamine in the post.

On day one I ate it quite late in the day after I got back from my shopping and oh my dogs! Definitely not for evening use! Within half an hour I realised what people are talking about with brain fog, when you’ve always had It it’s just normal and I had no idea what it was like not having it. I felt capable of achieving things for the fist time in ages but it was such a good feeling I just put some music on and enjoyed not feeling rubbish for a change.

Day two I ate one in the morning and it wasn’t so noticeable but I always feel worst at that time of day, what did change was I got loads done! (By my standards which are pretty low).

Today the difference is indescribable, my brain feels mentholated! I got the beginning of a tune in my head and managed to remember which album it’s from! I’d pretty much given up on being able to do this and even started forgetting things that I’ve known and practiced regularly for years and then read about thinking this is really useful info only to realise later that it’s something I used to be well aware of.

Normally by this time of day my dogs would be both looking at me with their big eyes wondering when I’m going to be able to get it together to take them for their walk and I’d be hunched in my chair thinking that surely it can’t be that time again already. Today we’ve already been out first thing so they’re happily stretched out in their bed and I’m enjoying my coffee listening to leftism which is the album I managed to remember the name of :).

Thankyou so much! Can’t wait until my sister gets hers to try, I’ll report back when she lets me know how she gets on.

Thanks kitty 😻your an angel!

While I’m happy for you, I don’t appreciate you hijacking my thread.

Liquid lunch Enthusiast
1 minute ago, SargeMaximus said:

While I’m happy for you, I don’t appreciate you hijacking my thread.

Sorry, No harm intended. I hope the thiamine works as well for you as it has for me :).

On 1/14/2023 at 5:58 PM, Wheatwacked said:

So I check d out cream of rice. It has 45% the RDA for iron! Waaaaaayyyy too much. Iron toxicity is a thing for males

Liquid lunch Enthusiast

Arsenic is an issue with rice as it tends to be grown on shale, it’s not recommended to give rice milk to children. 

trents Grand Master
3 hours ago, Liquid lunch said:

Arsenic is an issue with rice as it tends to be grown on shale, it’s not recommended to give rice milk to children. 

This can be a legitimate concern for celiacs as most of us eat a lot of rice-based products.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/rice-arsenic-and-the-gluten-free-diet-4135181

Edited by trents
Liquid lunch Enthusiast

@trentshttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31610455/
Fulvic/humic acid supplements help. The link is for soil remediation but it works the same in the body.

Soren Newbie
On 12/22/2022 at 5:48 PM, SargeMaximus said:

Thank you for the speedy reply :)

it has always been hard for me to put on weight. I’ve always been skinny. I haven’t talked to my doctor about it.

i do track my calories. I try to hit 4000 every day but usually fall somewhere between 2700-3200 each day. 

Hi. No penalty I have a bad reaction to corn and quinoa (just feel like my testosterone takes a nose dive I get weak and sore as well)

I’ll check those others out, thank you

Sorry I’m new to all this and your situation sounds similar to mine. I am losing weight very quickly and still have frequent times of nausea and diarrhea plus I think my brain is being effected ( can’t process information, depression, anxiety …brain fog they call it). 
I’ve never heard anything about testosterone! Can you fill me in on what that is and looks like? How would you know if you are low on testosterone? 

Soren Newbie
On 12/24/2022 at 6:01 PM, Wheatwacked said:

Sorry about the delay on your posts. 

You might look at Dr Hyman's "Pegan Diet". It's a combo of Paleo and Vegan. He is head of the Cleveland Clinic Functional Medicine Department. A Celiac antibody screening might make sense if only to prove gluten is not an issue.

Me too, but I am 71, 6' 2". Maxed out at185 but that was all belly fat. I always felt 155 was my optimum. According to Dr Fuhrman when you are eating enough nutrition your body will gravitate to optimum. The problem with wheat is that the modern wheat, 80% of the market, that has replaced the wheat I grew up with, has added chromosomes to enhance unending growth, insect and disease resistance and fat storage.

"For a healthy adult, there’s no significant evidence that potassium from foods can cause hyperkalemia (16). For this reason, potassium from foods doesn’t have a tolerable upper intake level. This is the most a healthy adult can consume in a day without negative effects (6Trusted Source). Hyperkalemia generally affects people with poor kidney function or people who take medications that may affect kidney function."  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-potassium-per-day#TOC_TITLE_HDR_8

Don't. You'll thank me later. 😀 Eat anything but.

You could make a spreadsheet to track your intake. Here is an example of what I made for myself.  http://nutrientlog.doodlesnotes.net/. The National Nutrition Database is an excellant source of information. I used it real time to track my intakes. Increasing my iodine intake by eating Nori definitely helped my muscle tone.

Omg I looked at your spread sheet….ugh that is daunting for me !!!! Wow that you did this and so detailed. I can’t do that. I wouldn’t know how. 😂

16 hours ago, Soren said:

Sorry I’m new to all this and your situation sounds similar to mine. I am losing weight very quickly and still have frequent times of nausea and diarrhea plus I think my brain is being effected ( can’t process information, depression, anxiety …brain fog they call it). 
I’ve never heard anything about testosterone! Can you fill me in on what that is and looks like? How would you know if you are low on testosterone? 

Why the interest in testosterone?

trents Grand Master
16 hours ago, Soren said:

Testosterone is the hormone responsible for "maleness". Estrogen is the hormone responsible for "femaleness". Both men and women produce both but the proportions of them are drastically different. Low testosterone levels can have many symptoms but some of them are: low proportion of lean muscle mass, low energy levels, depression and cognitive issues. It can be measured with a blood test. It is natural for testosterone levels to drop steadily as a man ages.

3 minutes ago, trents said:

Testosterone is the hormone responsible for "maleness". Estrogen is the hormone responsible for "femaleness". Both men and women produce both but the proportions of them are drastically different. Low testosterone levels can have many symptoms but some of them are: low proportion of lean muscle mass, low energy levels, depression and cognitive issues. It can be measured with a blood test. It is natural for testosterone levels to drop steadily as a man ages.

Testosterone also aids in healing and immune function 

Wheatwacked Veteran

If you are iodine deficient or just at the minimum RDA those testosterone supplements won't help. In the US intake of dietary iodine is half what it was in 1970. No wonder there are so many ads on TV for testosterone boosters. Increase your iodine intake. Save your money.

• Boosts the immune system and has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties
  • Is an antioxidant
  • proper functioning of the thyroid gland
  • Balances estrogen
  • Supports testosterone production
  • Increases hormone sensitivity

Take Iodine: Every cell in your body requires iodine for various functions, but even with iodized salt, iodine deficiency is extremely common, even ubiquitous, because we need quite a bit of iodine. Iodine deficiency means poor thyroid hormone production and metabolism. Your body’s ability to get the benefits of testosterone is highly HIGHLY dependent on normal and healthy thyroid metabolism. Unfortunately, not only are people not getting enough iodine, they’re also inadvertently poisoned on an ongoing basis by non-iodine halogens that out-compete iodine for receptors in our body, which exacerbates iodine deficiency. https://www.fullpotentialmen.com/testosterone-receptors-the-other-half-of-the-story/

Soren Newbie
8 hours ago, trents said:

Thank you ! I didn't think that testosterone levels would be an issue for us females. I will have to research and talk to my doctor. Thanks again

5 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

If you are iodine deficient or just at the minimum RDA those testosterone supplements won't help. In the US intake of dietary iodine is half what it was in 1970. No wonder there are so many ads on TV for testosterone boosters. Increase your iodine intake. Save your money.

• Boosts the immune system and has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties
  • Is an antioxidant
  • proper functioning of the thyroid gland
  • Balances estrogen
  • Supports testosterone production
  • Increases hormone sensitivity

You can also overdose on Iodine so be careful https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32809605/https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32809605/

Soren Newbie
10 hours ago, SargeMaximus said:

Why the interest in testosterone?

I’m am searching for answers / solutions and may insight on why I am feeling so unwell. I read this post and so I thought I’d ask about the post…. Testosterone, thiamine. B1 etc vitamins. Trying to educate myself. 

trents Grand Master
2 hours ago, Soren said:

Thank you ! I didn't think that testosterone levels would be an issue for us females. I will have to research and talk to my doctor. Thanks again

We didn't know your gender. You might consider adding that info to you Sig.

Wheatwacked Veteran
5 hours ago, Soren said:

I’m am searching for answers

This vitamin chart below might help in your quest. 

6 hours ago, SargeMaximus said:

You can also overdose on Iodine so be careful

I thnk the risk of toxicity is much less than the effects of deficiency and is easily reversed.

"Urinary iodine reflects dietary iodine intake directly because people excrete more than 90% of dietary iodine in the urine" NIH Iodine Fact Sheet for Health Professionals

"Over the last two decades, people in the US have been eating bread that used to have iodine, which has now been replaced with bromine. Bromine blocks the production of thyroid hormones so thyroid dysfunction is at an all-time high in the US. "   https://borntobeboomers.com/the-truth-about-bread-bromines-iodine-deficiency-and-your-thyroid/

The observed drop in urinary iodine in young women as well as in the general population, since the 1970s, is presumably due to removal of iodine from bread and substitution with bromine as flour conditioner during this period of time, due in a large part to previous concerns about excess iodine as well as the preferences of commercial bakers for brominated flour. Bromine, a suspected carcinogen, may further exacerbate iodine insufficiency since bromine competes for iodine uptake by the thyroid gland 34 and potentially other tissues (i.e. breast).

Clinical features of iodine toxicity from oral ingestion can range from mild to severe. Mild symptoms consist of GI upset, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, which may progress to delirium, stupor, and shock. It is rarely fatal.

Dietary iodine has also been previously proposed to play a protective role in breast cancer, to a large degree based on the increased iodine consumption of dietary iodine in Japanese women, having an exceptionally low incidence of breast cancer. Furthermore, emigration of Japanese women and adopting a western diet is associated with higher breast cancer rates. Iodine is taken up by the sodium/iodide symporter in the breast and its role is important in promoting the development of normal versus neoplastic breast tissue development... The importance of iodine in breast cancer is further emphasized by the adjuvant effects of iodine supplementation in combination with doxorubixin for breast cancer treatment. In these studies, iodine treatment resulted in reduced tumor size and proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) expression...   According to the CDC's 2012 Second National Report of Biochemical Indicators of Diet and Nutrition in the U.S. Population (www.cdc.gov/nutritionreport/report.html), women of childbearing age exhibited the lowest urinary iodine levels of any age group... (NHANES) showed a significant decrease in urinary iodine levels in the overall population during the period 1988-1994 as compared to the period 1971-1974. The initial urinary iodine levels (median 320 μg/L) were reduced by more than half during the period 1988-1994 (median 145 μg/dl; P<0.0001). Accordingly, the percentage of total persons with iodine deficiency, (below 50 μg/L), increased from 2.6% during the period 1971-1974, to 14.5% in 1988-1994, representing a 5.6-fold increase29. Females showed a higher frequency of iodine deficiency than males (15.1 versus 8.1%) with lower median iodine levels for females. For young women of child bearing age, age 15-44, there was a 3.8-fold increase in iodine insufficiency, with a 6.9-fold increase in the number of pregnant women also fitting this definition.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5327366/#:~:text=Dietary iodine has also been,incidence of breast cancer 9.

image.png.59a0347ae08a091d5823d0e33c0bc719.png