This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight loss or blood in stools

Jim Chris

Jim Chris Contributor

When my symptoms started over a year ago, I weighed about 195lbs. Now I am down to 168lbs. I just thought that eating more veggies, no wheat (i.e. pasta), barley(no more beer) or desserts was the reason I was loosing weight. However, I get blood tests every 4 months and sometimes more. My red blood counts have continued to be below norm in my last 4 tests and a fecal blood test showed blood in my stools.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms as a result of your celiac? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Jim, have have you bee specifically tested for celiac disease. There are special antibody tests that are the first stage of diagnosis.

Jim Chris Contributor

Yes, after many tests, including a Prometheus blood test for Celiac, I was diagnosed with Celiac.  I have followed a strict no gluten diet because the least little contamination results in a stomach disaster, usually in the wrong places, at the wrong time if you get my drift.   Even though I've felt better with more energy, when I start losing blood cells, I get very tired easily.  I've lost a lot of weight via muscle mass and I'm puzzled what is the result of Celiac or is there something else going on. I guess I need to call the Gastrologist or a Hematologist for an appointment soon. However, I was wondering if anyone else with Celiac had experienced anything similar. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

At the time of my diagnosis I also have blood in my stool, lost weight, along with many other issues. Hopefully you have a good understanding of how to be 100% gluten-free:

Jim Chris Contributor

Yes. I have been on a very strict gluten free diet for 8 months. If I ingest any gluten, it really tears my stomach up.  That's why I was wondering about the continued blood and weight loss. My gastronologist seems to think the bleeding has to do with my regimen of taking Naproxen morning and night. I take it because of arthritis in my spine mainly but also in my thumbs. Lately, I've been avoiding the Naproxen and the stools have been looking clear. So I'm going off it totally and going to Tylenol types of pain meds. 

trents Grand Master

Instead of Naproxen, have you tried one of the Cox 2 inhibitors like Celebrex? They are supposed to be easier on the gut because they only inhibit one of he two inflammation response generators. Our body continually rebuilds our stomach lining in response to low-level inflammation from stomach acid. This is a natural and necessary process. This is good inflammation. NSAIDs like Naproxin depress both biochemical processes (Cox 1 and Cox 2) that are involved in responding to this low level inflammation so that rebuilding the stomach lining is significantly retarded.

Jim Chris Contributor

I used to be on Celebrex for a long time then my doctors wouldn't give it to me anymore citing the bad side affects.  I thought that it had been taken off the market as having too dangerous side effects. I may ask my current doctor about it at my next visit. Thanks for the heads up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
47 minutes ago, Jim Chris said:

I used to be on Celebrex for a long time then my doctors wouldn't give it to me anymore citing the bad side affects.  I thought that it had been taken off the market as having too dangerous side effects. I may ask my current doctor about it at my next visit. Thanks for the heads up.

No, Celebrex is still on the market. You're thinking of a different Cox 2 inhibitor that was taken off because it was found to increase heart attack rates.