This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do these biopsy results look like Celiac?

JenniK

JenniK Contributor

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy recently for chronic upper abdominal pain, which i thought was an ulcer, but they didn’t find one. I have been gluten-free for 3 or so (?) years now with presumed celiac. Gastroenterologist told me before procedures that he cannot (most likely) diagnose celiac because i was gluten-free for long time before seeing him. These results were posted by the pathologist, but I still haven’t had the Dr explain to me what he thinks. There seem to be several problem areas. Keep in mind that i was not knowingly eating gluten before endoscopy. A-C are gastric. D,E are colon. (A different part of the report also said “diffuse inflammation” and “reactive gastritis”. Thanks in advance

A. Fragments of small intestinal mucosa show normal villous architecture without intraepithelial lymphocytosis. A normal complement of
chronic inflammatory cells is present in the lamina propria without acute or granulomatous inflammation. runner's glands are present.
There is no metaplastic change, dysplasia, or malignancy.
B. Fragments of gastric antral and oxyntic mucosa show foveolar hyperplasia and smooth muscle hypertrophy and few foci of chronic
inflammatory cells within the lamina propria without acute or granulomatous inflammation. There is no intestinal metaplasia, dysplasia, or
malignancy. Features typical of Helicobacter pylori are not seen.
C. The sections show oxyntic type gastric mucosa with normal surface maturation and rare cystically dilated crypt lined by foveolar
epithelium. Normal minimal inflammatory infiltrates are present within the lamina propria. Acute or granulomatous inflammation is not
identified. Features of Helicobacter gastritis are not identified. Intestinal metaplasia, dysplasia, or malignancy are not identified.
imer
D. E. Colonic mucosa shows crypt hyperchromasia with elongation and pseudostratification of the nuclei. Features of high-grade
dysplasia are not identified.
Unless otherwise specified, formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded sections and all routine, IHC, or special stains are performed at

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

The results seem negative for celiac disease, but I would agree with your doctor here with their conclusion that the results could not be used to diagnose celiac disease since you were gluten-free for so long before the endoscopy. 

Given that you've been gluten-free for so long, how important is it to you to have a formal diagnosis? Your private life and/or health insurance premiums my go higher with a diagnosis, so keep this in mind.

You could do this again after going at least two weeks on a gluten diet where you eat 2 slices of wheat bread daily beforehand. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Wheatwacked replied to glucel's topic in Post Diagnosis, Recovery & Treatment of Celiac Disease

3 month retest

2. - Scott Adams replied to Debstaats's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

It sounds like celiac

3. - trents replied to Debstaats's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

It sounds like celiac

4. - Debstaats replied to Debstaats's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

It sounds like celiac

5. - trents replied to Debstaats's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

It sounds like celiac

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Clove
    Newest Member
    Clove
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Wheatwacked
      Growing up I wondered why restaurants always put parsley on the plates when no one ate it.  ten grams of parsley sprigs have Vitamin K (phylloquinone)164µg. The RDA of vitamin K is 19+ years male: 120 mcg  female: 90 mcg. Maybe your doctor would agree instead of the pills? The USDA Food Data Centra is a good source of nutrition. USDA Food Data Parsley, fresh I'd be interested in your test results vis a vis the Celiac vitamins.
    • Scott Adams
      If you are doing great on a gluten-free diet and see no reason to get a formal diagnosis of celiac disease, then it's perfectly fine for you to just stay gluten-free.  In the Europe the current protocol for making a celiac disease diagnosis in children is if their tTg-IgA (tissue transglutaminase IgA) levels are 10 times or above the positive level for celiac disease. According to the latest research, if the blood test results are at certain high levels that range between 5-10 times the reference range for a positive celiac disease diagnosis, it may not be necessary to confirm the results using an endoscopy/biopsy: Blood Test Alone Can Diagnose Celiac Disease in Most Children and Adults TGA-IgA at or Above Five Times Normal Limit in Kids Indicates Celiac Disease in Nearly All Cases No More Biopsies to Diagnose Celiac Disease in Children!    
    • trents
      Well, you have some decisions to make. If you want an endoscopy, you must start the "gluten challenge" and daily eat the gluten equivalent of 4-6 slices of bread for several weeks.
    • Debstaats
      Thank you. I just get tired of my PCP acting like I’m an idiot. My GI feels I have it, but cannot officially give me the diagnosis without an endoscopy. So, I’m officially gluten sensitive, without the endoscopy.
    • trents
      Your PCP is not well informed. The tTG-IGA is a very reliable celiac blood antibody test. There are some other foods, medications and diseases that can cause elevated tTG-IGA but the chances of the elevated tTG-IGA count being due to some other cause than celiac disease is not very great. This is especially true given your symptoms, your genetic profile and the fact that you have improved on a gluten free diet. Is there any particular reason you need an official diagnosis? I am attaching an article which outlines the various antibody tests for celiac disease and their reliability: