This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I think I have it

Raptorsgal

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

It’s looks like I have it the doctor said . Does anyone know what the Tissue Transglutaminase is mine is high i Google it seem to be click to this disease . 

this is A very scary thing for me I already lost alit of weight I’m a vegetarian was trying to be vegan not sure if I can if I’m glutee free too. If there any vegetarian can help me give me advice 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, Raptorsgal!

The "tissue transglutaminase" is the most common antibody test run by doctors checking for celiac disease. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that causes the body's immune system to attack the villous lining of the small bowel, causing inflammation, when gluten is consumed. Over time, the inflammation damages the villous lining. The villous lining is where essentially all the nutrition in our diet is absorbed. Damage to the villous lining impairs nutrient absorption and over time creates vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The tissue transglutaminase or tTG-IGA, as we usually write it, measures the degree of inflammation in the villous lining.

Your doctor may want to also arrange for another test consisting of an endsocopy and biopsy of the villous lining to confirm the results of the antibody test. You should not cut back on gluten until all testing is complete.

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

I’m Cutting back I’m sick of feel this way the tranglutaminse if I tell you the number would you tell me what thumbs think 

Wheatwacked Veteran

Need the number and the range that particular lab uses

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

Ok the Transglutaminase is 80.0  u/ml

standard is 4.0 u/ml

it seem very high opinion think I got to give gluten up feeling like this sucks 

Wheatwacked Veteran

Until the testing is done you should continue to eat gluten, at least 2 slices of bread a day. You are 20 times over the normal and some countries will diagnose on that. Others like the US require an endoscopy with biopsies, additionally. If you start GFD before it you may not have enough damage for them to find. There may be additional benefits your health care may provide with an official diagnosis, but you don't need a diagnosis to be Gluten Free. Ask your doctor.  Are you thinking vegan for moral reasons, or because you believe you will feel better? There are nutrients it is hard to get enough of without animal foods.

Since Celiac is an autoimmune disease that causes malnutrition. Eating extra vitamins and minerals is a good idea. I found this list a good start: The D is for autoimmune and mood. Raising vitamin D and Thiamine might show the most improvement. The rest effect your energy, brain fog, nerve damage. They may help you feel better while waiting for more tests, but will help start healing.

• 10,000 IU vitamin D3
  • 500 mg Thiamine (B1)
  • 500 mg Nicotinic Acid (B3)
  • 500 mg Pantothenic Acid (B5)
  • 1000 mcg B12
  • 840 mg Phosphotidylcholine (Choline)
trents Grand Master
2 hours ago, Raptorsgal said:

Ok the Transglutaminase is 80.0  u/ml

standard is 4.0 u/ml

it seem very high opinion think I got to give gluten up feeling like this sucks 

Your tTG-IGA score is not actually that high. It is solidly in the positive range but not alarmingly high by any means. Very recently we had a forum member post a 600 u/ml tTG-IGA. Besides, the size of the number does not equate with the amount of damage that has been done to the small bowel villi because there is also a time factor involved.

Besides weight loss, what symptoms are you experiencing?

I would suggest you first talk to your doctor and see if he wants to do an endoscopy/biopsy to confirm and how far out the scheduling would put that.

By the way, for some reason you entered a post in our "report" section which is used to register complaints against mistreatment on the board or rules violation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

I have an iron issue too I hope I’m writing it in the right section 

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

Wheatwack i Try g to change I’m diet been eating g alit if fruits J do have very low iron too does anyone here have iron issue with celiac issues 

trents Grand Master
2 minutes ago, Raptorsgal said:

Wheatwack i Try g to change I’m diet been eating g alit if fruits J do have very low iron too does anyone here have iron issue with celiac issues 

Anemia is very common among celiacs. The reason is the problem with malabsorption caused by damage to the villi. It is also common among those who are not eating meat since plant-based iron is not as available for absorption as is that found in red meat (hema iron). Also it is very difficult to get enough vitamin B12 on a plant-based diet. B12 is present in only a few fermented bean products. B12 is necessary for the assimilation of iron.

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

B12 isn’t low iron very low do you have issues or are you ok . I had an infusion 

Thanks for everyone  input 

trents Grand Master

My iron levels got a little low before my celaic diagnosis but not critically low. I never had to get an infusion. I took iron pills for several years and went gluten free. Now it stays within normal range without iron pills. But, I am a meat eater and get plenty of iron in my diet.

Edited by trents
Raptorsgal Enthusiast

If I want to go gluten free for i while is that ok I’m not sure about getting some of the test I have a fear of test.  I’m guess it would be a long wait time 

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

I wish I knew more about the symptoms if it the front or back that has the issues or both 

trents Grand Master
25 minutes ago, Raptorsgal said:

If I want to go gluten free for i while is that ok I’m not sure about getting some of the test I have a fear of test.  I’m guess it would be a long wait time 

What test is it you are afraid of? The blood antibody testing or the endoscopy/biopsy? Or both?

23 minutes ago, Raptorsgal said:

I wish I knew more about the symptoms if it the front or back that has the issues or both 

I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. "Front or back or both"? What do you mean? Is English your first language?

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

Yes it is I’m just stressed the biopsy endoscope. I’m. Hoping I won’t have to get it.  Also the wait times are very long 

the doctor believe I have it . Sending me to a celiac centre. 😞 not sure when.

I had a blood transglutaminase it was very high 

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

Is the transglutaminase is that the blood antibody screening or is that something else 

trents Grand Master
5 minutes ago, Raptorsgal said:

Is the transglutaminase is that the blood antibody screening or is that something else 

It is a blood antibody screening test. There are other blood antibody tests that can be run to screen for celiac disease but that one is the most popular with physicians.

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

I had that done 

Raptorsgal Enthusiast

Does anyone know a good book to read about Celiac Disease 

Wheatwacked Veteran