This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Chiropractors Have Helped Us

ms-sillyak-screwed

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Judyin Philly -- made a suggestion for someone to start this threat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mahee34 Enthusiast

Chiropractors have been my saving grace more times than once. I remember a point where I saw every doctor imaginable because i was getting these really bad headaches and passing out, even a neurologist didn't understand. Turns out my vertibrae was off balance and pinching a nerve. Honestly, I played field hockey all through college, I have since graduated but through the knee, shoulder and any other pain you can imagine with a sport, the chiropractor was my main man. I believe a lot of people spend thousands of dollars trying to fix back pain and things when all they need is a little chiro in their life. I would suggest it to anyone, no reason to be scared to anything. i love it! Dr. Walker in Hanover, PA has been the best. He always knows when I'm due for a check up and can tell when something about me has changed, like my activity or my diet. He's been my chiro for YEARS and has helped me out so much. Just makes you feel so much better when you're all "fixed up" as he says. Which when you have our issues, every little bit helps....

Ursa Major Collaborator

I have been seeing a chiropractor twice a week for five or six years. I started out with an awesome chiro back six years ago, and then moved to his best friend, who's office is half way to where his was. My chiropractor is Dr. Darryl Bossence in Cookstown, Ontario, and the best chiropractor in the area as far as I am concerned. He not only is extremely knowledgable, but a sweet, kind man, who cares about helping people, and money is secondary. I think I have the lowest rate of all his patients, because otherwise we couldn't afford me going that often (my youngest daughter needs to go once a week as well, because of a malformed vertebra that would cause arthritis otherwise, one leg shorter than the other by 13 mm and scoliosis as a result).

If it wasn't for him, I would likely be in a wheelchair by now. First of all, my back was absolutely terrible before starting chiropractic. Secondly, after I broke my right ankle I was still in excruciating pain a year later and could hardly walk (and the pain would wake me up in the night, even though I already was on strong painkillers 24 hours a day for fibromyalgia). When I switched to him, he started adjusting my ankle, and even though it will never be great, it is an awful lot better. I can walk fairly short distances without a brace, and longer ones (and if I have to walk on uneven terrain, or for playing table tennis or other running sports) I have to wear an expensive ankle brace. But hey, I can actually walk!

Then, when my left foot was giving out and I was unable to walk even around the house, he eventually figured out what the problem was and prescribed orthotics, and now my foot is fine. My MD couldn't figure it out and referred me last year in May to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet, and my appointment is at the end of August this year. I haven't cancelled it yet for fear that things will get worse again, but with Darryl adjusting both my feet twice a week (as well as my back and neck and whatever else needs it at any given time), I think I will be fine.

Since eliminating gluten he says I am much easier to adjust, and my back is better than it has been since I was a kid. But I have an extremely low tolerance for stress (due to Asperger Syndrome), and stress will cause my spine to go out of alignment, especially my neck vertebrae it seems. So, counselling once a week and chiropractic twice a week are essential for me to be able to function.

If that sounds expensive, I am afraid it is. Fortunately, our additional private insurance (through my husband's work) will cover $300.00 of chiro a year (which is about one third of what it costs). Our provincial health insurance (OHIP) won't cover ANY preventive health care any more, including chiropractic, physiotherapy, eye exams in between the ages of 20 and 65 (apparently, people in their middle years don't get eye problems), ear exams (even if you suspect your kid might be deaf). So much for our much touted FREE and all encompassing health care. Yeah, right. Oh, right, and of course they don't pay for Celiac blood tests. They cost $130.00 out of our own pocket, on top of paying the premium for the stupid state health insurance. Mind you, they will pay for things like sex changes and abortions, but not celiac testing in their infinite wisdom.

Guest Zmom

Since 2003 My chiropractor has re-aligned my hips after being hit by a car in 2000 (in a cross walk) fixed my knee,foot pain, chronic whiplash from '93 and the '99 accident. Got rid of low back pain. She has treated my shoulder. (torn ligament 1999) Helped with the head to toe nerve pain ,blocked ears and sinuses, vertigo and constipation.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI--

MAYBE WE SHOULD START A THREAD ON --"HOW CHIROPRACTORS HAVE HELPED US"

Maybe this will lead some others on the forum to find their way to explore chiropractic medicine as a way of helping them cope with this insidious disease.

MINE IS THE ONLY EXPERT ON celiac disease THAT I HAVE SEEN PROFESSIONALLY.

MY INTERNIST & GI TOLD ME TO CONSULT HER ON THE DIET AS SHE KNEW MORE ABOUT IT THAN THEY DID...GIVEN-- HOW SHE'D HELPED ME OVER THE 11 YEARS I'VE GONE TO HER.

It took 3 years for me to get up the courage to see her.--I DIDN'T BELIEVE IN THEM. That being said--

my swimming teacher of 5 years begged me to see her…My Dr--Dr. Lilian Meier of Frigiola & Meier Family Chiropractors in Media PA has helped me both mentally, physically, and emotionally. She’s always there to be my ‘safe place to fall’!

She kept me walking so I could keep my job at the Medical Hospital Library-- working 40 hrs a week.

It was her records of her ‘thoroughly detailed weekly notes’ of symptoms, treatment, pain, meds, etc.

THAT I’M POSITIVE GOT ME MY SSD ON THE FIRST TRY.

IT WASN’T THE 7” OF MEDICAL REPORTS I SENT TO THEM --OR THE 6 FORMS…5-6 PAGES FOR EACH ONE.. I’m sure they didn’t swing the decision. It was her report that did.

When I first saw her—she waited 1 year to do an adjustment and did just did deep muscle and massage until I was ready to accept her adjustments. She waited for me…..

After a year did my hip adjustments, then another ½ year to let her adjust my neck…

She taught me to listen to my OWN body and how to pace myself.

She helped me with my diet and exercises even while in PT. She is the best ‘reader’ of x-rays and MRI’s –better than my Md’s. If I took in an X-ray to a surgeon who looked at it after she did and she’d circled certain areas as she explained it to me.. They said…”wow who did these circles of concern?…They sure know what they are talking about”

She offered to come to my home to do adjustments when recouping from hip replacement and then 2 tumor removable surgeries…She was there when no one else was…

She told me there were ‘always 3 people in the room—when she was healing me’

I can come limping in and lay on the table and her hand will move right to place that hurts without a word from me and they change from time to time…She has the gift of ‘therapeutic touch’ Sometimes when she’s finished –and her hands haven’t really touched me…they will be so hot to the touch

SHE CAME TO MY HOUSE AFTER DX'D WITH celiac disease AND PERSONALLY 'DEGULTEN MY KITCHEN'—she has a library of books for patients to ck out .I have 5 of her books on celiac disease now.

I WOULDN'T BE WALKING TODAY WITHOUT HER. SHE REALLY IS MY ROCK. HER FAITH IN GOD HAS SUSTAINED ME SO MANY TIMES—AND HELPED STRENGTHEN MY OWN FAITH

Even tho she has many personal hardships in her own family, she is always up beat and eager to help others.

And yes, she has a sliding scale for payment cause my insurance won’t pay…I know my co-pay must be the lowest of anyone in her practice.

LOVEINGLY AND WITH GREAT RESPECT—I SUBMIT THIS POST

JUDY IN PHILLY

PS—There are good ones who adjust each patient in different ways based on their particular need.

Just as there are bad medical doctors - there are bad chiropractors

I HOPE YOU CAN FIND ONE AS WONDERFUL AS I DID.

• 1 month later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

• 12 years later...
Jennuwhine Newbie

When i was young i fractured my neck in a horse riding accident. Didn't know it at the time, ignored it completely. 

About two years later at the age of 16, I couldn't pick up a stuffed animal. I couldn't button my pants. I was in pain all night. I had migraines, brain fog, nerve pain. 

I went to doctors who found nothing wrong. Did physical therapy for a year with no change. 

I finally went to a chiro, who took x-rays. He pointed out the healed fractures. He knew exactly what was wrong. In three visits, i was back to normal. THREE VISITS! Lol. After over a year of pain and therapy it took this man about two weeks to have me back on a horse again. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived