This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peroni Gluten Free Lager

Salted Almonds

Salted Almonds Newbie

I was excited to see this and really liked it. For about 10 days I had one beer every other evening but gradually I noticed I was starting to feel unwell - i developed a reflux cough, felt exhausted and started to get a very sore throat - not a sore throat like you get with a cold - literally a painful throat. I stopped drinking the lager - had about 2 days in bed just sleeping - and I gradually recovered. I am 100% certain it was the beer. Peroni insist they remove the gluten and that it's safe but I absolutely don't agree and think it's very misleading that this is labelled as gluten free. Has anyone else had a similar experience ? I'd like to be able to have a beer but am now very nervous about trying any supposedly gluten free lager.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

What is this beer made from? Is it made from a non-gluten containing grain such as sorghum or is it made from "de-glutened" wheat or barley?

Salted Almonds Newbie

Hi there - thanks for your interest - it is "de-glutened" - it's made using barley but they then filter it out - supposedly making it safe. I definitely reacted badly to it. Am hoping to perhaps try  a lager made with sorghum but am still a bit nervous after that experience ! 

Russ H Community Regular

I have drunk this beer without issue although people vary in their sensitivity to gluten. This beer is a barley lager that is treated with an enzyme such as Clarex to degrade any gluten remaining after the brewing process and then batch tested to verify that it is less than 20 parts per million gluten. The enzyme attacks the proline groups in gluten molecules - that parts that human gut enzymes cannot break down. Supposedly, the remaining fragments do not contain any epitopes that coeliac disease reacts to.

There are some beers that are totally gluten free. I don't know if you can get them where you live but Greens make some great ones.

https://www.glutenfreebeers.co.uk/

Salted Almonds Newbie

Thanks for your reply Russ - I am in Scotland so will check out Greens. Cheers !

Scott Adams Grand Master

This article might be helpful:

This is also interesting:

Salted Almonds Newbie

Hi Scott - may thanks for this info - really appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):