This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

mannitol from wheat - please help!

beegal

beegal Rookie

Can someone please help me? I was prescribed a new birth control pill which has mannitol in it. I called the company for Lo Loestrin (the birth control pill), and they confirmed the mannitol was derived from wheat. And they do not test the product either.

SO  1.) I assume I should not take this? ...Confusing when I google it for help. Also, I just purchased an iron supplement that has isomalt , and it is clearly labeled gluten free, and therefore

2.) I assume that is safe for me?...  I am confused also the difference between isomalt and mannitol also. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Mannitol can be derived from various sources, including wheat. However, the process of manufacturing mannitol typically removes proteins, including gluten. If the mannitol is highly purified, it might not contain significant amounts of gluten.

While it is unlikely that a small daily pill containing highly purified mannitol derived from wheat would contain enough gluten to harm someone with celiac disease, it would still be better to find a version that is made with naturally gluten-free ingredients.

You can search this site for prescriptions medications, but will need to know the manufacturer/maker if there is more than one, especially if you use a generic version of the medication:

To see the ingredients you will need to click on the correct version of the medication and maker in the results, then scroll down to "Ingredients and Appearance" and click it, and then look at "Inactive Ingredients," as any gluten ingredients would likely appear there, rather than in the Active Ingredients area.

beegal Rookie

Thank you for your response - I appreciate it. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Vafeas
    Newest Member
    Vafeas
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Ginger38
      Basically because he was going to do the biopsy either way , so I agreed after him bugging me lol (after all this time of refusing) (and I’m already regretting) to do the gluten challenge. But yes he’s already told me even in if the biopsy is negative I still have to live as a celiac for the rest of my life bc he’s certain I’m celiac positive regardless of what the biopsy shows. But he can’t put it on paper if it’s negative so I really don’t know what the point is. I have all the symptoms and have had positive IgA antibodies every time I’ve been tested. They did decrease after starting a gluten free diet but never made it to zero.  Also my daughter is going to pediatric gastroenterology in a few months so I thought it may be helpful for her for me to have the procedure 🤷🏼‍♀️
    • Scott Adams
      You can search this site for prescriptions medications, but will need to know the manufacturer/maker if there is more than one, especially if you use a generic version of the medication: To see the ingredients you will need to click on the correct version of the medication and maker in the results, then scroll down to "Ingredients and Appearance" and click it, and then look at "Inactive Ingredients," as any gluten ingredients would likely appear there, rather than in the Active Ingredients area. https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/   
    • Scott Adams
      I forgot, why are you doing the gluten challenge again? I ask only because it sounds like you will be gluten-free either way, even if your test results are negative.
    • Scott Adams
      You symptoms could certainly be related to gluten contamination, and for those who are really sensitive it can last days or longer. This article, and the comments below it, may be helpful:    
    • Scott Adams
      This article, and the comments below it, may be helpful: