This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has anyone found Ozempic affected their symptoms?

Rosyjo11

Rosyjo11 Newbie

I’ve been 99% gluten free for over ten years and eating keto.  Any time I ate wheat I suffered upper abdo pain, bloating, itchy outer arms. Even if in small amounts. Eg 5 BBQ shape crackers left me in agony. 

I started the gluten challenge a couple of weeks after starting Ozempic. I have a celiac biopsy in a week or so.  

I have not reacted to gluten the last two months! I actually extended the challenge wondering if I’d eaten enough gluten each day as initially was in Europe and eating sourdough. Also thought maybe my bowel was healed enough that it might take longer to initiate a response. 

I’m so baffled so can’t help but wonder if it’s the ozempic somehow?  

Anyone  else have any insight on this? 

thanks in advance :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, @Rosyjo11!

So, for the sake of clarity, you have never been officially diagnosed with celiac disease. Correct? If so, has it occurred to you that you may have been dealing with NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity) as opposed to celiac disease? They share many of the same symptoms but NCGS does not damage the lining of the small bowel. The symptoms you describe could be due to other things besides celiac disease. The "itchy outer arms" sounds like it could be an allergic reaction. You could be suffering from histamine intolerance/MCAS (Mast Cell Activation Syndrome) as well. A KETO diet would likely help with any of these conditions. 

But possibly, it is the ozempic. Who knows! Stranger things have happened. Wouldn't that be a kick! You would have accidentally discovered an antidote for celiac disease. Keep us posted about the biopsy results.

Rosyjo11 Newbie

Hi Trents 

yes I am aware of non coeliac gluten sensitivity, the biopsy is for confirmation of one or the other.   I had severe keratosis rubra my whole life, most prevalent on outer arms , until I gave up wheat but the gut symptoms escalated as an adult so potentially triggered by major illness. I have other autoimmune antibodies and one generally leads to another. My daughter also has been diagnosed as coeliac. 

Either way the symptoms have not been evident since starting ozempic which apart from slowing down gut motility, increasing insulin sensitivity and reducing leptin levels (which is why I’m on it as leptin is highly elevated thanks to shiftwork) shouldn’t affect gluten digestion and this is where I’m left confused. 

I was hopeful others yet to go gluten free but on ozempic might be able to weigh in. 

or an endocrinologist even??

Holycow Rookie

Ozempic slows down gastric emptying. Your issue may not be with gluten at all but something calling dumping syndrome.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I just want to mention that is well known that sourdough bread has far less gluten in it than regular bread. For a gluten challenge you should be eating regular bread.

Here is more info about how to do a gluten challenge for a celiac disease blood panel, or for an endoscopy:

"...in order to properly diagnose celiac disease based on serology and duodenal histology, doctors need patients to be on gluten-containing diets, even if they are causing symptoms, and this is called a "gluten challenge."

• Eat gluten prior to celiac disease blood tests: The amount and length of time can vary, but is somewhere between 2 slices of wheat bread daily for 6-8 weeks and 1/2 slice of wheat bread or 1 wheat cracker for 12 weeks 12 weeks;
  • Eat gluten prior to the endoscopic biopsy procedure: 2 slices of wheat bread daily for at least 2 weeks;

and this recent study recommends 4-6 slices of wheat bread per day:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Sharon66
    Newest Member
    Sharon66
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• cristiana
      Hi @jayjays Reading your post something really struck me: you mention night terrors/hallucinations.  I know how scary this can be.  Before I go any further, I must tell you that I am not a doctor or qualified to give medical advice, but I would like to share my own experience in case it helps. I suffered with hallucinations for about ten years before my diagnosis, which scared me a lot.    My hallucinations were chiefly on waking, or when I was in a state of semi-awakeness (is that even a word?!)  They started off when I was expecting my first child.  I would wake up and see the strangest things, pretty fairy lights, rows of bunny rabbits, geometric shapes.   I know - odd!   Strangely they didn't bother me so much when I saw them, but the following day I'd remember the hallucinations and they would freak me out.  I thought I was going completely doolally.  I have never taken LSD or any recreational drugs but I wondered if I was suffering from  similar effects.  It made me wonder why on earth people would want to take 'recreational' drugs to see this kind of thing! As I was pregnant I was sent to see a neurologist who told me once I'd had my child I ought to have an MRI.  He had never seen anyone with my symptoms before.  A few months later they did the scan, completely normal apart from a cyst which they felt was of no clinical importance and  something I was born with.   A repeat scan confirmed this.   Interestingly, the symptoms got less severe over time and almost disappeared but started up again with a vengeance when I was expecting my second child.  By this time I was less scared by them because after spending hours and hours on the internet I'd found accounts from other sufferers.  It appeared I was suffering from hypnopompic hallucinations and although they can be linked with various conditions, some people just get them   I then saw another neurologist who confirmed my self-diagnosis, and he said that as I was seeing them as I was waking up he wasn't worried about them. I understand that migraine sufferers can be prone to them.  LIke you I was a sufferer, and during that time I developed not just pain but aura migraines  with flashing lights etc.   (Also, it is worth noting hallucinations are common among the sleep-deprived). But here's the thing:  when I was diagnosed with coeliac disease they got particularly bad again.  I was also suffering from clinical anxiety at the time (something I'd not had before) and the hallucinations made me even more anxious.    At the time my blood revealed low blood iron and borderline B12 levels.  Whether it was giving up gluten, or those levels getting better I will never know, but my aura migraines and the hallucinations have all but disappeared. I ought to add that my sister who is a picture of health suffers from them occasionally, and also gets migraines occasionally.  She finds they hit her when she eats too rich food before going to sleep.  One other thing to consider:  Are you taking  medication before you go to bed?  If so, do see if it might be causing vivid dreams and hallucinations. I once took a proton-pump inhibitor (PPI) for gastric issues too close to bedtime and I had the most terrifying dream, and when I googled the medication I discovered that it can cause nightmares and hallucinations.  Just a thought. Cristiana     
    • itarachiu
      I take NAC(N-Acetylcysteine) as a biofilm because I personally believe I do have a biofilm and these bugs steal the iron(anemia) and the magnesium(muscle spasms) before I have the chance to absorb these nutrients. See the study link. I also take Rifaximin which is the antibiotic to treat SIBO for the most part but it does work for SIFO as well. I do live in Romania and here I was able to find this drug under the name Normix, also is very cheap. In USA for example is sold under another name and is very expensive but there is a trick, something about canadian mail order to get it from Canada very cheap. As a antimicrobials I take oregano extract, berberine and black cumin seed oil for the moment. I Also as an update, I did my first round of 10 days of antibiotic and antimicrobials and I'M HAPPY TO REPORT THAT IS WORKING!!! I finally find the last piece from the puzzle. My mind is finally almost clear after 18 years of brain fog, my muscle spams almost stopped and the anemia as well... in just 10 days of antibiotics. Can't believe it... No supplements needed, keep doing my carnivore diet. So, OK, I do have SIBO and SIFO. Why my body didn't recovered on his own is the question. Why my immune system can't keep my small intestine sterile which is how is supposed to be. I will make another rounds of 10 days of Rifaximin until I will feel that is 100% cured, the best part for this antibiotics is because you can take it even for months, is the only antibiotic which does not get into the blood and it stays active only in the small intestine. I highly recommend to anyone, if you still struggle with the health even on a gluten free diet, try 10 days of Rifaximin and a biofilm disruptor. If is working, then you have SIBO(at least).  
    • trents
      In a person with celiac disease, the consumption of gluten causes an inflammatory response in the villous lining of the small intestine. This inflammatory response produces antibodies that can be detected by blood tests. When you withdraw gluten from the diet, the inflammation subsides and the antibodies in the blood begin to disappear and after a certain period of time they will drop below levels that can be detected by the tests. Same with biopsy. The inflammation caused by gluten consumption wears down the villous lining and damages it. When you withdraw gluten the inflammation ceases and the lining begins to heal. If enough time passes and healing is significant, there is no damage to see from the biopsy.
    • plumbago
      I was drafting a reply when trents' reply came in, and I concur with everything he says. I was going to say, @jayjays that, based on what you wrote, it seems that the sequence of testing events was not correct. You need to still be eating gluten even for the blood tests. If your goal is to find out if you have Celiac, then that is what you need to do. Myself, I like knowing a diagnosis as precisely as possible. If on the other hand, you just want the misery to end in the short and medium-term, then it seems you know what to do. But after that, should any symptom return, you might not have as good an idea of what's going on as you would if you had ruled in or ruled out Celiac.
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @jayjays! Was the tTG-IGA the only celiac antibody test done? A more complete panel should have been ordered. Had you been eating gluten free or reduced gluten at the time of the blood draw? Your symptoms all scream of celiac disease but in order to get confirmation indeed, you would need to return to a gluten rich diet (4-6 pieces of bread daily or the gluten equivalent, i.e., 10g.) for several weeks before testing. This is true for both the blood antibody testing and the endoscopy with biopsy. Unfortunately, the UK health care system seems to be very inflexible so I'm not sure how much leverage you have in getting more complete antibody testing done. Another option would be to get your genetics checked to see if you have the potential for celiac disease. If you don't, you would need to be looking in a different direction to explain your symptoms.