This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Developing other food intolerances after Celiac diagnosis

Crackerjack

Crackerjack Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease after suffering unexplained and fairly random debilitating abdominal pain  over the past year. I was diagnosed 3 months ago, and started a struct Gluten free diet , and apart from a few initial mishaps ( gravy and a couple of other things) my symptoms have been under control. 
however , I seem to be developing other unexplained food ‘intolerances’ and am having reactions to other foods which Ive never had a priblem with before. The issue Im having  is its so hard to identify what food is causing the problem. One seems to be Lactose, so Im now on Lactose free milk, all good, but I ‘think’ Im now reacting badly to any foods with spices in - after both a curry ( home cooked!) AND a Chilli ( home cooked) Ive woken up with quite severe stomach pains snd diarhoea.

Does this sound really odd? Or is it possible that being Celiac I now am going to have to watch out for other developing food intolerances? Im starting to get paranoid about everything I eat, and its causing me so much stress. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, @Crackerjack!

Nothing you describe is unusual in the celiac community.

Dairy intolerance, either from the sugar component (lactose) or the protein casein, is very common among celiacs. And about 10% of celiacs cross react to oats (even gluten free oats) because the oat protein avenin is similar in structure to gluten.

Spices are typically not gluten free since they are often ground and processed on the same equipment as are wheat products. So, there is this common phenomenon with a lot of foods like that that are "naturally gluten free" we call "cross contamination" or "CC" for short. There are spice lines that are gluten free and people have posted about them on this forum from time to time. You might do a search using the forum tool for this. 

In addition, we tend to become less tolerant to smaller gluten exposures over time as we go deeper into the gluten free diet.  

I am including this link which might be helpful: 

KodiakCupZuko Newbie

What kind of chili? 

Here are a few ingredients to look out for: 

Beef/Chicken Broth: yeast 

Sauces: Vinegar/Yeast 

salad dressing 

maltodextrin 

“Natural Flavors” - proprietary information 

“Vegetable flavoring” -  proprietary information 

Vegetable Synthetic Additives 

Most vitamins, vitamins must be NSF certified or certified with less than 5ppm. Capsules are the worst don’t even touch normal vitamins 

Items made in a factory with cross contamination non-certified foods 

Coffee grounds and beans - often made with flavorings. Additives in ground coffee often made with gluten “flowing agent” to prevent mold growth. Order from Tierra Farms, it’s the only certified coffee company on the market. I drink my coffee for $1 a day 

lipstick, lip gloss, concealer, shampoo, soap. 

Gum additives/Mints 

french fries often coated in flour 

chili often made with flour 

yeast and flowing agents in seasonings 

There’s more but that’s all I have for now. 

stick with Celiac foundation certified products or anything less than 10ppm. Or just eat raw foods, there’s no other option honestly..

You’re not paranoid, gluten is in literally everything. 

GardeningForHealth Enthusiast

I would like to see this topic "increasing food intolerances over time in Celiacs" studied scientifically, as it seems to be so common, yet I've never seen any studies on pubmed about it.

knitty kitty Grand Master
6 hours ago, GardeningForHealth said:

I would like to see this topic "increasing food intolerances over time in Celiacs" studied scientifically, as it seems to be so common, yet I've never seen any studies on pubmed about it.

It has to do with Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  

Mast cells become activated when the immune or autoimmune response is triggered, as in Celiac Disease or a cold.  If stimulated for long enough, frequently enough, mast cells develop "itchy trigger fingers" and release infection fighting histamine at the least provocation.  High levels of histamine cause health problems.  

Removing irritating foods by following a low histamine Paleo diet, like the Autoimmune Protocol Diet, helps get the Mast cells to calm down and quit being so sensitive.  A few weeks on the AIP diet improves symptoms by reducing inflammation and allowing for intestinal healing.  The intestine needs time to regrow damaged villi.  

Yes, certain spices can cause mast cells to release histamine.  These include peppers like chili peppers used in chili and curry.  Mint can do the same, as can coffee.

Mast cells are associated with the onset and progression of celiac disease

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27619824/

And...

Mast Cells in Gastrointestinal Disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3033552/

Wheatwacked Veteran

All the time you were eating gluten, it was activating an opiod effect, numbing your body not only to the pain caused by gluten, but also other foods that were bothering you but you didn't feel it.  Without that numbing effect of the non-metabolized gliadin molecules with opioid activity , now you feel it.  Also a study in 2020 points out that some wheat gluten metabolites have antioxidants that reduce inflammation.

You might want to add vitamin C, Taurine, Selenium as fortifications to your diet and eat more foods with A and E and folate.

• Choline can improve antioxidant capacity
  • Folate, a water-soluble B-vitamin, can act as an antioxidant
  • Taurine is an antioxidant that protects cells from oxidative and inflammatory stress. 
  • Vitamin C is an antioxidant
  • Research shows that some vitamin supplements can increase our cancer risk. For example, vitamin A (beta-carotene) has been associated with a reduced risk of certain cancers, but an increase in others – such as lung cancer in smokers (if vitamin A is purified from foodstuffs)." Vitamin supplements and antioxidants  

The fact that gliadin has a high affinity for DPP IV might explain why so many patients with proven celiac disease are asymptomatic. Inhibition of DPP IV by gliadin can result in increased levels of non-metabolized gliadin molecules with opioid activity that can inhibit the typical abdominal pain associated with classical celiac disease... Gluten-derived exorphins mimic endogenous opioid activity   The opioid effects of gluten exorphins: asymptomatic celiac disease

Immunomodulatory and Antioxidant Properties of Wheat Gluten Protein Hydrolysates in Human Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells  [Wheat Gluten Protein Hydrolysates] WGPHs improve the global antioxidant capacity of the cells by direct free radicals scavenging, 

• 1 month later...
GardeningForHealth Enthusiast
On 8/10/2024 at 7:34 PM, knitty kitty said:

It has to do with Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  

Mast cells become activated when the immune or autoimmune response is triggered, as in Celiac Disease or a cold.  If stimulated for long enough, frequently enough, mast cells develop "itchy trigger fingers" and release infection fighting histamine at the least provocation.  High levels of histamine cause health problems.  

Removing irritating foods by following a low histamine Paleo diet, like the Autoimmune Protocol Diet, helps get the Mast cells to calm down and quit being so sensitive.  A few weeks on the AIP diet improves symptoms by reducing inflammation and allowing for intestinal healing.  The intestine needs time to regrow damaged villi.  

I tried taking 10mg loratadine to calm the histamine response, but it had no effect when I consumed foods that I am sensitive to. Still got all the symptoms anyway: extreme fatigue, brain fog, etc. I wonder why it didn't work.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knitty kitty Grand Master

The foods that you are sensitive to may contain high histamine levels.  Your body makes histamine in response to foods you are sensitive to.  

Your body needs time to clear the build up of histamine from both high histamine foods and the high histamine levels your body makes in response to them.  

Avoiding high histamine foods for a while is important while your body heals. 

Antihistamines are not going to be able to clear the histamine if you keep eating high histamine foods. 

Diamine Oxidase (DAO) supplements help reduce histamine in foods.  Our bodies make DAO from Vitamins B12 Cobalamine, B6 Pyridoxine, Vitamin C and Thiamine B1.

DAO supplements are available over the counter. 

You may want to consider DAO supplements and supplementing with Thiamine (Benfotiamine) and the other B Complex vitamins, and Vitamins D and C.

Histamine Intolerance—The More We Know the Less We Know. A Review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8308327/

Diamine oxidase supplementation improves symptoms in patients with histamine intolerance

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31807350/

Edited by knitty kitty
Typo correction