This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frito Lays Chips and Snacks

Ginger38

Ginger38 Rising Star

I’m so confused about Fritos lays chips / snacks. I looked on their website as well. Plain lays (yellow bag) are labeled gluten free like on the bag itself ,  but that’s it. Other flavors are not which makes me nervous, especially the barbecue . I thought Doritos were but they are not labeled gluten free. When I read on their website it’s like they are considered gluten free, but why wouldn’t they label them as such? If plain lays, their popcorn, Cheetos and plain Fritos (among others) are actually labeled gluten free on the bag, why wouldn’t the others be as well if they are truly gluten free? I’m trying to look over all my foods and see where I am going wrong and getting exposed to gluten. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

If a manufacturer labels some foods gluten free but not all, I do NOT eat the ones that aren’t labeled gluten free.  

Even if the ingredients look ok, it probably means that there is some chance of contamination somewhere, for example from shared equipment.

I really appreciate it when manufacturers are this careful with their labeling!

As to Doritos, I thought only the plain flavor was gluten free.

Ginger38 Rising Star
35 minutes ago, RMJ said:

If a manufacturer labels some foods gluten free but not all, I do NOT eat the ones that aren’t labeled gluten free.  

Even if the ingredients look ok, it probably means that there is some chance of contamination somewhere, for example from shared equipment.

I really appreciate it when manufacturers are this careful with their labeling!

As to Doritos, I thought only the plain flavor was gluten free.

Thank you! Thats my thoughts as well. Why else would they not label the others gluten free as well (if they truly were). I  Noticed that also with Zatarains Spanish rice. It used to say gluten free on it. Our Kroger still has it labeled on the shelf as gluten free, so I bought it, ate it and then realized it no longer says gluten free 🤦🏼‍♀️ went to the store and looked at other boxes of their rice and they still have the gluten free label. So no more Spanish rice. What do you mean plain flavored Doritos? 

RMJ Mentor

It’s been years since I bought Doritos, I see they all seem to have flavors now.  They used to just make a tortilla chip.

The company Late July makes certified gluten free tortilla chips.  Their nacho cheese flavor is very close to what I remember the Doritos nacho cheese chips tasting like! But they are expensive.

Ginger38 Rising Star
16 hours ago, RMJ said:

It’s been years since I bought Doritos, I see they all seem to have flavors now.  They used to just make a tortilla chip.

The company Late July makes certified gluten free tortilla chips.  Their nacho cheese flavor is very close to what I remember the Doritos nacho cheese chips tasting like! But they are expensive.

I didn’t even realize Doritos made a plain chip lol. All I have ever seen is nacho cheese, ranch, spicy and all the other flavors. So Is it best to assume Doritos are not gluten free since they are not labeled as such? I used to buy the late July plain chips, I’ve never seen nacho cheese flavored, but quit bc they are so expensive. 

RMJ Mentor

Here is a list of gluten free foods on the Pepsico website (manufacturer of Doritos) and it does not include Doritos. So best to assume they are NOT gluten free.

RMJ Mentor
1 hour ago, RMJ said:

Here is a list of gluten free foods on the Pepsico website (manufacturer of Doritos) and it does not include Doritos. So best to assume they are NOT gluten free.

So sorry, forgot the link! 

Pepsico gluten free products

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginger38 Rising Star
2 hours ago, RMJ said:

So sorry, forgot the link! 

Pepsico gluten free products

Thanks! that list looks like the one I found on frito Lay, because it says lays barbecue are gluten free, however they are not labeled gluten free but the plain lays are , which is why I was questioning things 

RMJ Mentor

I don’t see it on this page of the  Pepsico website, but sometimes manufacturers say on their websites to check the label on the actual lot of product in question. 

Ah, here it is on the barbecue crisps page:

Lays baked crisps barbecue flavored

On the earlier page I linked, I see that barbecue crisps are listed as gluten free, but not barbecue chips.  Could that be the difference?

Ginger38 Rising Star
5 hours ago, RMJ said:

I don’t see it on this page of the  Pepsico website, but sometimes manufacturers say on their websites to check the label on the actual lot of product in question. 

Ah, here it is on the barbecue crisps page:

Lays baked crisps barbecue flavored

On the earlier page I linked, I see that barbecue crisps are listed as gluten free, but not barbecue chips.  Could that be the difference?

Not sure what barbecue crisps are but neither  the baked lays barbecue nor the regular barbecue  lays chips (in the black bag) are labeled gluten free on the bag. Yet others are. It’s very confusing and a bit of a red flag 🤷🏼‍♀️

• 2 weeks later...
Peggy M Rookie

I spoke to Lays this week and was told the only chips that were guaranteed gluten free are their Simply brand  chips, ruffles, cheetos and tortitos. The regular ones with gluten free on the label are iffy.

knitty kitty Grand Master

It's important to keep in mind that some spices used to flavor those chips can provoke "Celiac-like" symptoms.

The proteins in corn (zein), dairy (casein), yeast, rice, and chicken meat resemble segments of gluten, and can stimulate a reaction the same as gluten does.  

Tortilla yeast and autolyzed yeast extract cause problems.  These are used to give that "umami" flavor to processed foods.  

Potato products are sometimes treated with Sulfites to keep the potatoes from discoloration.  Some Celiacs develop a hypersensitivity to sulfites...these Sulfites are not required to be listed as an ingredient because they are part of the processing procedure.  

Microbial transglutaminase is another processing agent that is not required to be included in ingredients lists.  Microbial transglutaminase is used to improve flavor and texture.  Transglutaminase has been shown to be immunogenic and can promote and worsen Celiac Disease.

Microbiological transglutaminase: Biotechnological application in the food industry

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10543708/

Section 4.3 discusses Celiac Disease and transglutaminase. 

Edited by knitty kitty
Typo correction