This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Bread

Camorrison56

Camorrison56 Rookie

I would like to know what store brought gluten free bread, bagel etc you think is good. I know taste is different but just wondering what the most common. Not frozen Also, what is a good brand of lunch meat. I miss sandwiches.

I’ve try making my own but failed

Thanks 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

I like Franz Gluten Free bread, which is available at my local Costco. Food For Life and Little Northern Bakehouse (advertisers here) also make excellent gluten-free breads.

Jojer Rookie

Hi Scott, I found the Franz gluten-free bread less than ideal flavor wise and a very short shelf-life. Since then, my (WinCo) store has offered Canyon Bakehouse gluten-free bread in Honey White and& Grain. Also gluten-free 100% whole grain Everything and Plain Bagels in the freezer case near the birthday cakes. Better flavor and seem to last very well in the freezer. Still nothing I'm going to look forward to for a sandwich, but at least I have something to pick up my egg yolk with.

This same store recently discontinued Aqua Star Frozen breaded cod filets, the only gluten-free prepared fish in the store. I emailed them and got a polite and heart felt "Kick rocks" reply.

Camorrison56 Rookie
10 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I like Franz Gluten Free bread, which is available at my local Costco. Food For Life and Little Northern Bakehouse (advertisers here) also make excellent gluten-free breads.

Thanks you

Scott Adams Grand Master
15 hours ago, Jojer said:

Hi Scott, I found the Franz gluten-free bread less than ideal flavor wise and a very short shelf-life. Since then, my (WinCo) store has offered Canyon Bakehouse gluten-free bread in Honey White and& Grain. Also gluten-free 100% whole grain Everything and Plain Bagels in the freezer case near the birthday cakes. Better flavor and seem to last very well in the freezer. Still nothing I'm going to look forward to for a sandwich, but at least I have something to pick up my egg yolk with.

This same store recently discontinued Aqua Star Frozen breaded cod filets, the only gluten-free prepared fish in the store. I emailed them and got a polite and heart felt "Kick rocks" reply.

Since the Franz Gluten Free is vacuum sealed I haven't had any issues with shelf life. Very few GF breads are sealed in vacuum packaging. I also like Canyon Bakehouse, but it is much more expensive than Franz, which I get for about $5 a loaf (a price that is comparable to some of Costco's high end wheat breads).

Lockgirl Rookie

I really like Canyon Bakehouse for the brioche rolls and burger buns. 
BFree has great baguettes and the sliced bread is great too. My favorite is the oat loaf. 
Both brands are available at Walmart. 

Jojer Rookie

My grocer (WinCo) doesn't stock those CB items. I work hard to avoid Walmart.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ddk37 Newbie

Shar has good breads.  I like the darker grain bread and it costs just a bit less than CB bread that is also good. Shar has bagels that, when toasted, are quite good with cream cheese.   I will have to look for Franz at Costco and try it.  Both the Shar and CB breads toast well.  Trader Joes has gluten-free bread and bagels.  Whole Foods has gluten-free multigrain bread but I get that less often because there is not a WF less than 40 miles from the city in which I live. And, here's a suggestion that's not bread but good tasting and gluten-free - Energy Bars at Costco, a good supplement to your diet.  And, finally, for treats, Kind bars are gluten free!!  

trents Grand Master

Unless you live in the western US, you likely will not find Franz products in your stores.

Barbra S Newbie

Has anyone tried BFree Bread? It doesn't have a great shelf life unless it is refrigerated. Publix used to sell it. You can buy it online but I haven't done that yet. No sliced bread but rolls and PITA bread.

trents Grand Master

I think Bfree does now offer a sour dough gluten free loaf bread. I believe I bought some at Costco back this spring.

Edited by trents
MIsailR Newbie

For gluten-free bread and bagels, try Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or Sprouts. Popular brands include Udi's, Glutino, and Rudi's. For lunch meat, check out Boar's Head, Applegate, or Wellshire Farms. Don't worry about making your own - it can be tough!

plumbago Experienced

Boar's Head is good when I occasionally buy it. But right now - Sept 2024 - I would be extra careful since they found listeria in their meat plants. Check to see if the packages in your area are affected.

Wheatwacked Veteran

I get the Canyon Heritage Style Wholegrain sometimes the Honeywhite. Their heritage style is about the size and texture of rye bread.  Keep it in the freezer and nuke two slices for a minute then cool on a wood cutting board.  Good for roast beef, ham and swiss and hamburgers.

Lockgirl Rookie
11 hours ago, Barbra S said:

Has anyone tried BFree Bread? It doesn't have a great shelf life unless it is refrigerated. Publix used to sell it. You can buy it online but I haven't done that yet. No sliced bread but rolls and PITA bread.

I love BFree. I can find it at my Walmart stores. I’m in Texas and here I can also find it at HEB. The oat loaf is so good. Sourdough is good too. I’m finding they have a longer shelf life, months. I typically buy several and freeze into portions so I can take out what I need. If you can order online I would definitely try that. 

Lockgirl Rookie

I forgot - the baguettes are fantastic! They are skinny but I use them as a baguette but I also slice and bake them as a crostini. Friends have no idea it’s gluten free. 

trents Grand Master
9 hours ago, MIsailR said:

For gluten-free bread and bagels, try Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or Sprouts. Popular brands include Udi's, Glutino, and Rudi's. For lunch meat, check out Boar's Head, Applegate, or Wellshire Farms. Don't worry about making your own - it can be tough!

Are you aware of the big flap created recently by the testing Mom's of America had done on Trader Joe's bagels that showed they were way out of tolerance with regard to the 20ppm FDA standard for using "Gluten Free" claims? There was a big story that surface on this forum recently if you care to search for it. I would not recommend Trader Joe's as a safe place to buy gluten-free products at the current time.

ddk37 Newbie

I need to correct something I wrote earlier this thread.  The energy bars from Costco no longer have the Gluten Free certification on their labels.  It disappeared sometime this year.  The ingredients do not contain wheat, rye or barley but this product is processed in a facility where they also process items with wheat.  I assume this is the problem.  I have called them (CA) but they have not returned my call.  Lesson: read the label on the product every time you purchase it; it can change!