This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Autoimmune or celiac?

Jessiemyers

Jessiemyers Newbie

Celiac runs in my family--my sister, a cousin. But I never had any issues with wheat until I went through early menopause at 48. Then I came down suddenly with this autoimmune disease called eosinophilic fascitis -- basically the fascia all over my body was inflamed. they did an mri -- scarring all along my forearms... they put me on high dose prednisone but it didnt really help. i did an elimination diet and discovered it was wheat.... now every time i eat wheat its the same thing: 48-72 hours later, the skin around my ankles wrists and upper back gets super tight.

has anyone heard of anything like this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, @Jessiemyers!

No, I have not heard of this kind of reaction to gluten in our celiac/NCGS forum community. There is an epidermal expression of gluten intolerance/celiac disease known as dermatitis hermpetiformis, which is a rash with pustules in the bumps, but what you describe doesn't sound like that.

Having said that, we are steadily adding to the list of symptoms and collateral health conditions caused by celiac disease which now numbers over 200.

Be aware that if you are intending to get tested for celiac disease you must be eating generous amounts of gluten daily for weeks leading up to the testing. We're talking about an amount of gluten equivalent to about 4-6 pieces of bread daily. Realize also that gluten is found not only in wheat but in barley and rye.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I've not heard of a connection before between celiac disease and eosinophilic fascitis, however given the high number of disorders that are related to celiac disease it's certainly possible that in some with eosinophilic fascitis, there might be a connection. While both conditions involve an abnormal immune response, there is no established connection between eosinophilic fasciitis and celiac disease. However, it's not uncommon for individuals with one autoimmune condition to be at a higher risk of developing another, due to the general dysregulation of the immune system. If someone has both conditions, it's likely coincidental rather than directly related.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Susan buckley
    Newest Member
    Susan buckley
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Sorry, in your first post you typed "a symptomatic" instead of "asymptomatic" so I misunderstood what you were saying. But anemia is a classic symptom of celiac disease.
    • Billy Boy
      Hi, The almond powder milk I've found is ridiculously expensive but I have found a suitable low carb almond milk - Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original (Unsweetened), which I intend to dehydrate and use as milk powder. This would not be an issue with dark chocolate as this doesn't require milk powder but let's face it, milk and white chocolate is far more appealing 😆. Billy Boy 
    • BNGed8
      I had a full panel ran almost 2 years ago by my Rheumatologist to rule out any other autoimmune issues that she would be dealing with. They all came back negative except a weak Sjogrens marker but she told me it was nothing to worry about as I did not present most symptoms for it. I do have a script to get them all done again which I will be scheduling soon. The last week I have been experiencing what could possibly be gluten exposure? I have definitely experienced these symptoms before but not all together & for a week straight. I have what feels like a constant pressure headache above my eyebrows & unable to concentrate on much without feeling nauseous. The pressure headache & eye issues have been nonstop even after sleeping. I also have sensitive spots on my skin that kind of feel like a burning sensation when touched, it tends to move around every other day. The reason I feel like it could be gluten related is because I also have been experiencing severe itching around my anus (sorry to be blunt). I saw my primary who couldn't think of a diagnosis so ordered blood work to check for deficiencies. I have not experienced this feeling for over a week straight or to this magnitude, anyone have any insight on this?
    • Rubii
      I didnt have  symptoms, i just went for my job fittness and all this happen, my test came positive, so it was big shock for me to have disease without symptoms, further after going gluten free i feel dizziness, abdominal cramps on off, anxiety, depression, crying episodes. 
    • cristiana
      The reflux according to the hospital can be the culprit.  I think sometimes, too, the medication that they gave me to stop it caused bloating which again  added to the pain in the back and chest.  I hope you get some answers soon, let us know how the results go.