This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac disease

Nicole boling

Nicole boling Apprentice

Hi, I had some celiac testing done part of it. It’s not back yet, but this came back as out of range. Can anybody help me figure out what this means it’s showing that I have information from celiac does that mean it’s celiac

Immunoglobulin G - Result: 1177 - Reference Range: 600-1640 mg/dL - Out Of Range

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

This result is just looking at total IgG, one type of antibody, but not to any specific antigen.  This test is not looking for celiac disease. The celiac disease results are not listed, they are pending.

I’m a little surprised this was ordered.  Doctors often order a total IgA test, since the most common antibodies increased in celiac disease are in the IgA class.

Nicole boling Apprentice

Oh ok so this means nothing then. I just need to wait for my celiac test to come in

Scott Adams Grand Master

I think the Immunoglobulin G test referenced here is another name for the DGP-IgG (Deamidated Gliadin Peptide) blood test for celiac disease (see the Other Names for the DGP-IgG Test section):

If that is the case, which you should clarify with your doctor, then the results could mean that it's possible that you have celiac disease:

The sensitivity of the DGP-IgG test is reported to range from 75% to 85%, which means it can correctly identify individuals with the condition in about 75% to 85% of cases. The specificity of the DGP-IgG test is reported to range from 75% to 95%, which means it can correctly identify individuals without the condition in about 75% to 95% of cases. Overall, the DGP tests, including DGP-IgA and DGP-IgG, exhibit a sensitivity of approximately 85-95% and a specificity of about 95-98%.

Nicole boling Apprentice

The numbers that are listen could mean celiac? I did call and he said that is another test they use for celiac but didn’t discuss results with me 

Like test results I mean by numbers. Thank you for your help. 

Nicole boling Apprentice

I had the immunoglobulin a done and these results were a mth after I quickly eating gluten and it’s high. Idk if this is what you meant the test that is?

IMG_2629.jpeg

Scott Adams Grand Master

There are lots of names for these tests, unfortunately each lab uses them in different ways. DGP-IgG (Deamidated Gliadin Peptide) blood test for celiac disease might be referred to as an Immunoglobulin G test, per the link I shared, but it would be best for you to clarify this with your lab or doctor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

The test result you just posted Immunoglobulin A, could be the Gliadin Peptide Antibody IgG (Immunoglobulin A), also know as the DGP-IgA test. If so, your result looks like it is high as well at 302, but again, you should discuss this in more detail with your doctor.

RMJ Mentor
2 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

The test result you just posted Immunoglobulin A, could be the Gliadin Peptide Antibody IgG (Immunoglobulin A), also know as the DGP-IgA test. If so, your result looks like it is high as well at 302, but again, you should discuss this in more detail with your doctor.

Both of the posted tests have units of mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter). Those are total IgG and IgA, NOT celiac antibodies.  Celiac antibodies don’t have units of weight per volume.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Thanks for the clarification...but what could those results be then? If I understand @Nicole boling's original post, she is expecting results for a celiac disease blood screening.

RMJ Mentor

Total IgA is reasonable.  I don’t know why the doctor ordered total IgG. Hopefully actual celiac results will be available soon!

Scott Adams Grand Master

@Nicole boling, sorry about all of the back and forth here about the test results you shared. It appears that all of your results are not in, and these apparently are not the celiac disease results, so please share with us what you find out from your doctor, or other results.