This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Adverse effects from figs...???

Lotte18

Lotte18 Contributor

Hi all, I've suddenly got a skin rash on my leg that might be dermatitis herpetiformis...can figs trigger this?  Has anyone else had a similar reaction to eating figs?  And if so, what did you do to treat it?  Or did it go away on its own after a few days?  At the moment I'm just icing it and hoping it dissipates.  Many thanks, Charlotte

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

I've never heard of figs triggering celiac disease or DH, and they contain less than 20 micrograms of iodine per 100 grams, so they considered low in iodine--if you have DH you will likely also want to avoid iodine, which is common in seafoods and dairy products, as it can exacerbate symptoms in some people. Is there a chance you could be allergic to them?

This article may also be helpful as it offers various ways to relieve the itch:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Diamond 57
    Newest Member
    Diamond 57
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
      I agree with @trents and your low total IgA means that your tTG-IgA would have been higher--and you already mentioned that it was a "weak positive." A weak positive is still a positive test result, so the likely next test would be an endoscopy to confirm celiac disease.  This article might be helpful. It breaks down each type of test, and what a positive results means in terms of the probability that you might have celiac disease.     
    • Scott Adams
      I believe you meant that your tTg-IgA levels went up even though you've been on a gluten-free diet, is that correct. If so, are you sure you understand the gluten-free diet fully? This article has some detailed information on how to be 100% gluten-free, so it may be helpful (be sure to also read the comments section.):    
    • knitty kitty
      Yes, I do.  Handled carefully, the bags of flour should not be a problem.  
    • Dora77
      Theres a bakery, but its a big supermarket so the bakery is avoidable. It just scares me to think theres flour in the air while I work as a cashier, but then again this would mean everytime I go buy grocery from a store I get glutened. (which isnt the case I believe as not all celiacs wear masks while purchasing grocery). Do you think flour spreading out from its packages is avoidable if I scan them gently?
    • knitty kitty
      I think the cashier's job in the supermarket would be better than the fast food restaurant job.   You can always keep an M-95 mask in your pocket to use if you see someone purchasing sacks of flour in the grocery store.   The airborne gluten would be much higher in a restaurant where cooking makes gluten particles airborne.  Stay clear of the bakery if the grocery store has one for the same reason.  Best wishes!