This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I overexaggerating or is it normal?

Dora77

Dora77 Rookie

Hey, I am 17m. I have diabetes, celiac and fluctuating low t4 levels (but normal tsh). This sommer I did a summer job at a fast food restaurant which serves breaded pork/chicken. My glutenfree diet and mindset changed dramastically after this job. Almost everywhere is flour, even in the salad. They used the same handshoes for making salad which they just use to bread the meat. I also heard about airborn flour, that flour is in the air for like 12 hours, and if you inhale it, you get glutened.
Now I have some questions. Before working there, I ate at restaurants, like if there was a glutenfree menu at a pizza store, I ate it. (Not thinking about that the gluten-free pizza is cooked in the same place as the non gluten-free pizza and that the gluten-free pizza is most likely made on the same table where the gluten pizza was made).
I also cheated, like I ate a gluten pizza once in 6 months etc. thinking it probably didnt do a lot of damage.

Now, I never knew/know if it damage/damages me as I have silent celiac (blood works always been clean, but I know its not accurate, never had endoscopy) . I don't and never had symtpoms for celiac even after eating lots of gluten. So I know everyone has different sensitivity, but does every celiac. no matter if symptoms or no symptoms, damages his body even at the tiniest amount of gluten (like for example from airborne flour)? I know if a celiac eats gluten he/she can't absorb nutrients, which is very very bad as it leads to vitamin deficitis, weakened immune systeme and makes you more likely to other Autoimmune diseases. For example I am searching for a weekend job (working 8h/week), I found one at a big supermarket where I can work as a cashier, but I am too scared to work there, because I am scared that when I scan some wheat flour package I will get glutened as the packages are never fully closen. Even if I touch the package gently so nothing comes into my face, what if right where I sit, yesterday a other cashier touched the flour package so that it spreaded out, and now its in the air.
Theres also another job which is not in a supermarket, also cashier but a hardware store, so no gluten. But it pays 60 euro less, which is not a tiny amount for me.

So I have some questions:

1. Should I still be this carefuel even though Im asymptomatic and will it sill damage me (CC, airborne flour, etc.)?
  2. Can I work this supermarket job or is it too risky? I don't want to wear a mask, and would probably don't help much as I read that airborne flour can also go into your eyes, then in your digestive system.
  3. I expierence floating, light brown and undigested stools since 3 months, which points malabsorption (Do you think its from celiac even though I am asymptomatic)
  4. I live in a 50% gluten 50% glutenfree household, we use different toasters, my mother wipes the oven after gluten pizza was in there etc. and currently she doesnt make gluten bread with gluten flour as I am scared. But is it possible to avoid cc in a household like this (like I get scared to sit on the same table as them as bread crumbs could come on my food)
  5. I now don't eat food that "could contain traces of gluten", prior to my sommer job I always did. We have stuff like black pepper in our home, at the back it says could contain gluten, etc. Is it safe to eat? I mean it just is pepper, does it get produced in the same fabric as wheat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum @Dora77!

I would not expect you to get any significant exposure to gluten from tactile or airborne means as a supermarket cashier. I think your worries are overdone in that scenario. 

But it is not true that you are asymptomatic if you are experiencing "floating, light brown and undigested stools". That is a classic symptom of celiac disease. And it says that you are not experiencing healing in the villous lining of your small intestine.

Sounds like your home environment is ripe for cross contamination opportunities. This is one place you need to give more attention to and take ownership of instead of depending on others to watch out for you.

The other major area you need to look at is eating out. Studies show that the number one sabotager of the gluten free diet is eating out. You may order gluten free food from the menu but you have no control over cross contamination issues in how it is cooked and handled back in the kitchen. Focus on fixing your own meals and packing lunches when you go to school and to work. I know this is not what a 17 year old wants to hear but it is a reality for a 17 year old with celiac disease.

Dora77 Rookie
3 minutes ago, trents said:

Welcome to the forum @Dora77!

I would not expect you to get any significant exposure to gluten from tactile or airborne means as a supermarket cashier. I think your worries are overdone in that scenario. 

But it is not true that you are asymptomatic if you are experiencing "floating, light brown and undigested stools". That is a classic symptom of celiac disease. And it says that you are not experiencing healing in the villous lining of your small intestine.

Sounds like your home environment is ripe for cross contamination opportunities. This is one place you need to give more attention to and take ownership of instead of depending on others to watch out for you.

The other major area you need to look at is eating out. Studies show that the number one sabotager of the gluten free diet is eating out. You may order gluten free food from the menu but you have no control over cross contamination issues in how it is cooked and handled back in the kitchen. Focus on fixing your own meals and packing lunches when you go to school and to work. I know this is not what a 17 year old wants to hear but it is a reality for a 17 year old with celiac disease.

You think the cashier job is safe?

I don’t really know, at home we always cook glutenfree, only sometimes premade gluten pizza in the oven. Gluten bread we buy from the grocery store. Like when we cook noodles we cook them in separate pot, no gluten bread in butter or peanut butter.

Do you think pepper is safe even though it says could contain traces of gluten?

trents Grand Master

If the pepper package says it could contain traces of gluten I would avoid it. 

How long have you know that you are a celiac? How long ago were you diagnosed? Different celiacs vary significantly in how sensitive they are to trace amounts of gluten and that's something it can take time to get a handle on as an individual.

I think the cashier job is safe and I would go with it unless you find it is definitely making your worse as a celiac. I mean if your responsibility is just handling money and packing groceries in sacks that's one thing. But if you are scooping out wheat four from bins into bags and then ringing them up at the till, that's another.

Are you still consuming dairy and oats? These two foods contain proteins very similar to gluten and can cause similar damage to the lining of the small intestine. These two foods are common cross reactors in the celiac community.

Edited by trents
Dora77 Rookie
17 hours ago, trents said:

If the pepper package says it could contain traces of gluten I would avoid it. 

How long have you know that you are a celiac? How long ago were you diagnosed? Different celiacs vary significantly in how sensitive they are to trace amounts of gluten and that's something it can take time to get a handle on as an individual.

I think the cashier job is safe and I would go with it unless you find it is definitely making your worse as a celiac. I mean if your responsibility is just handling money and packing groceries in sacks that's one thing. But if you are scooping out wheat four from bins into bags and then ringing them up at the till, that's another.

Are you still consuming dairy and oats? These two foods contain proteins very similar to gluten and can cause similar damage to the lining of the small intestine. These two foods are common cross reactors in the celiac community.

Do you think the pepper will most likely choose cc or maybe the gluten in there is so little that it wont do much?

I was dignosed with a blood test when I was 14. I have celiac since 3 years.

If I do the job it would be just as a cashier, nothing else. I scan products, including flour packages, and then handle the cash. I also think it could be working as long as i touch the flour packages gently.

I consume dairy like milk, yoghurt or protein shakes. Oats once in a while but only the glutenfree ones.

Do you think probiotics would help me? Or is it not necessary?

Lockgirl Rookie

Gluten is also in a lot of beauty and personal hygiene products. It is everywhere. I have just started trying to use gluten-free hair and beauty products. Toothpaste is also a big one. There are several brands that are gluten-free, including Burt's Bees. I also find that some gluten-free products don't agree with me. Like gluten-free Oreos. Not sure why. It is so hard to remove it from every part of your life, but if you are miserable there is no other choice. Good luck! 

trents Grand Master

The pepper may or may not have enough gluten to produce a celiac reaction. Best to avoid things that you are unsure about and we cannot give certain answers to those kinds of questions any more than you can. It depends on too many things and if there is any gluten in that pepper and how much may vary from one batch of it to to another depending on how well they clean the machinery, how many pepper runs were made since the last wheat run on the same machines, etc. It's a crap shoot. When in doubt, opt out.

Whether or not the oats are gluten free is not the problem necessarily with oats. It's the oat protein "avenin" itself that is the potential problem. About 10% of celiacs react to gluten free oats like they do to gluten. But you really need to look at a trial of eliminating dairy to see if your stools improve. Give it a month at least.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatwacked Veteran

Hello @Dora77,

It seems you are doing well on your gluten free diet other than a few glitches.  

21 hours ago, Dora77 said:

I expierence floating, light brown and undigested stools since 3 months, which points malabsorption (Do you think its from celiac even though I am asymptomatic)

As @trents said, this and even your anxiety level  both are symptoms of your Celiac Disease and malabsorption.  Are you overexagerating?  I don't think so.  It is good that you are aware, but don't let it get in the way of life.

Your diet already has probiotics.  Bifidobacterium  is found in yoghurt and milk products.  Another probiotic, Lactobacillus is found in fermented pickles and sauerkraut and other naturally fermented foods.  Lactobacillus in our gut secretes lactase to help us digest the lactose in milk. In the US we buy Quick Pickles, made with vinegar instead of fermentation and so we have an epidemic of Lactose Intolerance. So, Good Job!

Naturally Fermented Pickles [The Complete Guide]  for Lactobacillus probiotic.

The three fortifications to your diete I think will help your symptoms the most:

1. Choline: it helps form the bile we need to digest the fats; instead of finding the in the toilet.  Eggs, meat, poultry, fish the main dietary sources.  You can purchase phosphatidyl choline in pill form if it is hard to eat enough.  In the US the recommended dietary intake is at least 500 mg a day.  Equivalent to 4 eggs a day.  It is estimated that 90% of people in western societies do not even get that much.  Fifty years ago our medical and pharmaceutical leaders decided that for cholesterol control we should avoid eggs and red meat, milk and fat in general.  Since then our cholesterol is still high unless we take statins, and in the US our population went from 15% obese in 1970 to 50% today.  What is wrong with this picture?  Fat satisfies hunger.  Without fat we eat more carbohydrates, and that makes us obese.

De novo choline synthesis in humans is not sufficient to meet metabolic needs; therefore, choline intake from the diet is necessary. Good dietary sources of choline include eggs, meat, poultry, fish, cruciferous vegetables, peanuts, and dairy products. Choline: Linus Pauling Institute » Micronutrient Information Center

2.  In 1950 the UK and most of the world banned vitamin D because of a manufacturing error in baby formula.  1980s: Sunscreens became "broad spectrum" to filter both UVA and UVB rays. Those two choices have increase vitamin D deficiency to more than 40% of our populations.  Vitamin D is essential to control autoimmune diseases, like Celiac Disease and for our mental health.  Vitamin D is affected by malabsorption because the oral kind we take to compensate for avoiding sun is not absorbed well in a Celiacs small intestine.  I live in Florida and to keep my blood vitamin D 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D level at 200 nmol/L (or 80 ng/ml in the US labs measurement, and the natural level for someone who gets enough sunshine) I have to take 250 mcg (10,000 IU) daily.  I recommend you get tested.  A survey of lifeguard in Haifa found that their blood levels of 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D ranged from 70 to 90 ng/ml. (about 200 nmol/L). All in good health. Raising your vitamin D will be good for your anxiety and help moderate your Celiac Disease.

"Estimates of the yearly increases in the overall worldwide incidence and prevalence of autoimmune diseases are 19.1%...  Comparing various autoimmune diseases, celiac disease increased the most."  The Increasing Prevalence of Autoimmunity and Autoimmune Diseases: An Urgent Call to Action for Improved Understanding, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention 

3.  Iodine.  In the EU, a 2020 Thyroid study found that median standardized urinary iodine concentration (UIC) was below 100 µg/L in 6.3% of studies in schoolchildren, 53.8% of studies in adults, and 63.6% of studies in pregnant women. 

On 9/10/2024 at 3:30 PM, Dora77 said:

fluctuating low t4 levels (but normal tsh).

Iodine is an essential component of the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). Low iodine intake can have normal TSH but not enough for all the needs of your body. Around 300-500 mcg a day should help your T4.  Iodine Fact Sheet for Health Professionals

21 hours ago, Dora77 said:

Almost everywhere is flour, even in the salad.

Scary, right?  Not to worry, but good to be vigilant.

Regarding your pepper question. Are you using ground pepper?  As trents said it probably is not enough, but try whole peppercorns in a pepper grinder.  You could even rinse and dry the peppercorns before usling.

Mari Contributor

Hi Dora77,

I just want to add a little information. The villi in the small intestine main purpose is to adsorb the nutrients from the food you eat and is not involved in the digestion of the food. Digestion starts when you chew food and it mixes with saliva. When you swallow it goes into the stomach where the food is liquified.The liquid food then passes into the small intestine and receives squirts of bile from the gall bladder and squirts of Pancreatic enzymes from the pancreas. The peristaltic action mixes all this together and releases the nutrients which are adsorbed by the villi into the body. 

If you have light brown stools that float it may mean that you are not producing enough bile to break down the fats and oils you eat. If you cannot bread down the fats and oils your stools will float. If you also see pieces of undigested food it may mean that your pancreas is not providing you with sufficient enzymes to digest foods. I had both of these problems before I went gluten free about 18 years ago. I used old fashioned methods to improve my  digestion and for a while added pancreatic enzyme capsules and bile pills to help out until I was able to get the congestion out of my gall bladder and liver. Today I have normal dark brown stools and only see undigested food occasionally. 

I also had to stop eating many foods that were causing digestive problems and that has taken many years and an elimination diet. 

you might go to your health provider and describe your floating light brown stools. They will order some tests to see what is happening. 

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Dora77 Rookie
17 hours ago, trents said:

The pepper may or may not have enough gluten to produce a celiac reaction. Best to avoid things that you are unsure about and we cannot give certain answers to those kinds of questions any more than you can. It depends on too many things and if there is any gluten in that pepper and how much may vary from one batch of it to to another depending on how well they clean the machinery, how many pepper runs were made since the last wheat run on the same machines, etc. It's a crap shoot. When in doubt, opt out.

Whether or not the oats are gluten free is not the problem necessarily with oats. It's the oat protein "avenin" itself that is the potential problem. About 10% of celiacs react to gluten free oats like they do to gluten. But you really need to look at a trial of eliminating dairy to see if your stools improve. Give it a month at least.

I read somewhere that dairy can cause symptoms with celiacs, but won't damage them. So is it really needed to do a elimination diet?

16 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Hello @Dora77,

It seems you are doing well on your gluten free diet other than a few glitches.  

As @trents said, this and even your anxiety level  both are symptoms of your Celiac Disease and malabsorption.  Are you overexagerating?  I don't think so.  It is good that you are aware, but don't let it get in the way of life.

Your diet already has probiotics.  Bifidobacterium  is found in yoghurt and milk products.  Another probiotic, Lactobacillus is found in fermented pickles and sauerkraut and other naturally fermented foods.  Lactobacillus in our gut secretes lactase to help us digest the lactose in milk. In the US we buy Quick Pickles, made with vinegar instead of fermentation and so we have an epidemic of Lactose Intolerance. So, Good Job!

Naturally Fermented Pickles [The Complete Guide]  for Lactobacillus probiotic.

The three fortifications to your diete I think will help your symptoms the most:

1. Choline: it helps form the bile we need to digest the fats; instead of finding the in the toilet.  Eggs, meat, poultry, fish the main dietary sources.  You can purchase phosphatidyl choline in pill form if it is hard to eat enough.  In the US the recommended dietary intake is at least 500 mg a day.  Equivalent to 4 eggs a day.  It is estimated that 90% of people in western societies do not even get that much.  Fifty years ago our medical and pharmaceutical leaders decided that for cholesterol control we should avoid eggs and red meat, milk and fat in general.  Since then our cholesterol is still high unless we take statins, and in the US our population went from 15% obese in 1970 to 50% today.  What is wrong with this picture?  Fat satisfies hunger.  Without fat we eat more carbohydrates, and that makes us obese.

2.  In 1950 the UK and most of the world banned vitamin D because of a manufacturing error in baby formula.  1980s: Sunscreens became "broad spectrum" to filter both UVA and UVB rays. Those two choices have increase vitamin D deficiency to more than 40% of our populations.  Vitamin D is essential to control autoimmune diseases, like Celiac Disease and for our mental health.  Vitamin D is affected by malabsorption because the oral kind we take to compensate for avoiding sun is not absorbed well in a Celiacs small intestine.  I live in Florida and to keep my blood vitamin D 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D level at 200 nmol/L (or 80 ng/ml in the US labs measurement, and the natural level for someone who gets enough sunshine) I have to take 250 mcg (10,000 IU) daily.  I recommend you get tested.  A survey of lifeguard in Haifa found that their blood levels of 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D ranged from 70 to 90 ng/ml. (about 200 nmol/L). All in good health. Raising your vitamin D will be good for your anxiety and help moderate your Celiac Disease.

3.  Iodine.  In the EU, a 2020 Thyroid study found that median standardized urinary iodine concentration (UIC) was below 100 µg/L in 6.3% of studies in schoolchildren, 53.8% of studies in adults, and 63.6% of studies in pregnant women. 

Iodine is an essential component of the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). Low iodine intake can have normal TSH but not enough for all the needs of your body. Around 300-500 mcg a day should help your T4.  Iodine Fact Sheet for Health Professionals

Scary, right?  Not to worry, but good to be vigilant.

Regarding your pepper question. Are you using ground pepper?  As trents said it probably is not enough, but try whole peppercorns in a pepper grinder.  You could even rinse and dry the peppercorns before usling.

Last time I checked my vitamin D levels were 30 ng/ml. I take 10000iu vitamin d3 softgels daily. I plan to switch to liquid. Should I take more?

Dora77 Rookie
7 hours ago, Mari said:

Hi Dora77,

I just want to add a little information. The villi in the small intestine main purpose is to adsorb the nutrients from the food you eat and is not involved in the digestion of the food. Digestion starts when you chew food and it mixes with saliva. When you swallow it goes into the stomach where the food is liquified.The liquid food then passes into the small intestine and receives squirts of bile from the gall bladder and squirts of Pancreatic enzymes from the pancreas. The peristaltic action mixes all this together and releases the nutrients which are adsorbed by the villi into the body. 

If you have light brown stools that float it may mean that you are not producing enough bile to break down the fats and oils you eat. If you cannot bread down the fats and oils your stools will float. If you also see pieces of undigested food it may mean that your pancreas is not providing you with sufficient enzymes to digest foods. I had both of these problems before I went gluten free about 18 years ago. I used old fashioned methods to improve my  digestion and for a while added pancreatic enzyme capsules and bile pills to help out until I was able to get the congestion out of my gall bladder and liver. Today I have normal dark brown stools and only see undigested food occasionally. 

I also had to stop eating many foods that were causing digestive problems and that has taken many years and an elimination diet. 

you might go to your health provider and describe your floating light brown stools. They will order some tests to see what is happening. 

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

I also read about this on the internet. Would it be harmful to take pancreatic enzyme capsules without diagnosis? I will tell my doctor about it.

trents Grand Master

10,000 IU of D3 daily would be an upper limit and should be plenty. How long have you been taking that amount? Your vitamin D3 levels should be higher than 30 ng/ml unless you have only recently started taking the D3 supplement amount you mention. I think 30 ng/ml is like the low end of what is considered normal. But it is certainly not optimum.

I do not think it is true that dairy can cause problems for celiacs without doing damage to the SB villi? Can you supply a reference to that idea?

Edited by trents
Mari Contributor
3 hours ago, Dora77 said:

I also read about this on the internet. Would it be harmful to take pancreatic enzyme capsules without diagnosis? I will tell my doctor about it.

Pancreatic enzymes are sold 'over the counter' and do not require a prescription. Many people take them for better digestion.  If you are worried that you may react to something in a capsule open the capsule and put a small amount under your tongue. If you have a reaction such as a burning sensation  try a different brand. This is useful but not 100% accurate. And you probably know that your B12 pill needs to be used under your tongue in the form of sub-lingual pills.

If you are worried about getting small amounts of gluten in your food take capsules of anti gliadin enzymes when you eat and while the food is still in your stomach' I use gliadinX advertised here and other brands can be found at pharmacies. 

I am not a medical practitioner but think that with your floating stools that you may have signs of non-tropical sprue. Many Celiacs develop this type of sprue and quite a few of those people have found that this condition clears up after they go strictly gluten free. It may take a few years to go back to having a more efficient digestive process but it happens. I have read that after being glutened the auto antibodies may persist for up to 3 months so although the noticeable symptoms are gone the reaction is still going on. 

Hope this helps. 

trents Grand Master

Mari, isn't non tropical sprue just a synonym for celiac disease? Sprue is just an older term for the disease is my impression.

Mari Contributor

Trents - yes you are correct in that Celiacs is synonymous with nontropical sprue. I just did a quick search online and the two words come up together. That wasn't the case when I went online 20 years ago when it seemed that there were other causes of this type of sprue. Terminology does change over time. There are probably gastroenterologists who see people with sprue like symptoms who do not have Celiac Disease. Maybe these other causes have been given a specific name to separate them from celiac nontropical sprue. I can imagine that any problem that could limit bile production in the liver or physical damage to the gall bladder or bile ducts could result in sprue like problems that allowed digestible fats and oils to be in significant amounts in stools and  cause them to float. What do you think?

trents Grand Master

I think insufficient bile/pancreatic enzymes may be a problem in the under digestion of fats and other foods but I think in celiac disease the damage to the villous lining is the big factor since it can greatly reduce the ability to absorb nutrients from the food we consume. Floating, oily stools is a very common, even classic symptom of celiac disease and almost comes with the territory but the same cannot be said necessarily for insufficient bile production by the liver or insufficient pancreatic enzyme production. Those may be a separate issues not necessarily related to celiac disease but which can also cause the symptoms described by the OP.

Edited by trents
knitty kitty Grand Master

Dairy will trigger the same reaction as gluten does in about fifty percent of Celiacs because Casein, the protein in dairy, resembles the protein Gluten.  Dairy will provoke the same autoimmune reaction as gluten does, including damaging the villi in the intestines!

Damage to the villi causes malabsorption of vitamins and minerals.  Absorption of all the vitamins and minerals are affected, but the water soluble B vitamins, especially Thiamine, are affected.  We can run out of Thiamine in as little as three days to three weeks.

The Gallbladder, the Pancreas and the Thyroid all use large amounts of Thiamine Vitamin B1 to function.  Thiamine is needed to turn fats, protein, and carbohydrates into energy for the body to function.  Insufficient Thiamine can cause gastrointestinal symptoms like bloating, floaty stools, and oily stools.

Thiamine deficiency disorders can occur in organs like the Pancreas, Thyroid and Gallbladder, resulting in insufficient digestive enzymes and bile, and low Thyroid hormones. 

Vitamin D is commonly low in Celiac.  Vitamin D helps regulate the immune system.  Getting your Vitamin D level up in the 80's will help immensely.  

Talk to your doctor about supplementing with vitamins like Thiamine and the B Complex vitamins, Vitamin D and minerals like magnesium and calcium while you are healing.  

Edited by knitty kitty
Typo correction
trents Grand Master

50%? Are you sure it's that high, kk?

Yes, it's that high.  

Mucosal reactivity to cow's milk protein in coeliac disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1810502/

Lactose Intolerance is where the villi in the small intestine are damaged and cannot make Lactase, the enzyme that digests the sugar in dairy, Lactose.

The protein in dairy, Casein, can stimulate the autoimmune response just like gluten.  Casein and gluten both can cross link proteins that stimulate antibody production (antibodies to transglutaminase are used to diagnose Celiac, those tTg IgA blood tests).  

Dairy products often have microbial transglutaminase added for texture.  Microbial transglutaminase cross links proteins just like gluten and casein do, triggering the autoimmune response.  Microbial transglutaminase acts the same as tissue transglutaminase which our bodies produce.  

P.S.  Just wanted to add, some people are genetically programmed to stop producing LactAse in adulthood and have lactose intolerance forever.

Others with lactose intolerance can consume dairy after their villi grow back and can produce LactAse again.

Others, like me, will always react to Casein as well as gluten.  We can have lactose intolerance if our villi are damaged and cannot produce lactase, as well as a reaction to Casein.  

Edited by knitty kitty
Added post script
Wheatwacked Veteran

@Dora77, I started taking 10,000 IU vitamin D3 around March 2015.

I also am taking 250 mg Thiamine one to three times a day..

In September 2019 it was still only at 47 ng/ml.  It was another two years before I reached 80 ng/ml and has stayed between 80 and 93 since.  Last May it was 93 going into the spring with lots of sun exposure so I took a break from them to see what happens.  In my July tests it had dropped down to 74 ng/ml so obviously I started taking it again,  I expect to get back to 80 in my October tests.  I noticed over the years if I don't take it my mood drops, and I get withdrawn and even stop reading emails and avoid going out.

Liquid D3 may even absorb better because it is already disolved. Mine is one pill of 10,000. When I started I was taking 10 1000 IU pills.  Swallowing a bunch of pills plus the B1,B3,B5,B12,Choline,and liquid Magnesium Citrate  every morning was a pain.  My iodine is Liquid Iodine at 50 mcg per drop, so I just squirt 10 drops into my coffee or Red Bull 1 to 3 times a day.  Labs stayed the same but I an healing faster now and getting better hair, nails, skin, and muscle tone.  I even got my brother, son, daughter in law and her parents to start taking the vitamin D and iodine and they say it helps.  Her father is a kidney transplant patient and his tests are improving since starting.  Click the link and read the Mayo Clinic article.  It is full of information about vitamin D.

Mayo Clinic Procedings: Vitamin D Is Not as Toxic as Was Once Thought:

Vitamin D intoxication associated with hypercalcemia, hyperphosphatemia, and sup pressed parathyroid hormone level is typically seen in patients who are receiving massive doses of vitamin D in the range of 50,000 to 1 million IU/d for several months to years. Ekwaru et al. recently reported on more than 17,000 healthy adult volunteers participating in a preventative health program and taking varying doses of vitamin D up to 20,000 IU/d. These patients did not demonstrate any toxicity, and the blood level of 25(OH)D in those taking even 20,000 IU/d was less than 100 ng/mL.

I drink about a liter of whole milk a day.  If it is not causing you distress continue on because it is a great source of potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, needed for bones, that is hard to get without milk. U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Data Central Whole Milk Nutrients

1 hour ago, knitty kitty said:

"CM has a high nutritional value and is one of the most commonly consumed foods worldwide. Nevertheless, adverse reactions to CM are frequently reported and are attributed mainly to lactase deficiency or allergy to CM proteins" 

That's what fermented foods are for, the lactobacillus (probiotic) supplies us with lactose.  The quick pickles and sauerkraut, made with vinegar, we buy in the US supermarkets give us the taste but not the health benefits of real fermented foods. Find a good pickle barrel source or make your own.

Choline is important to bile because it keeps it from getting too thick and causing gallbladder problems. Choline is a also a major part of acetycholine (nerve transmission) and mitochondrial (the body's energy factories) membranes.       Biliary Lecithin Secretion. II. Effects of Dietary Choline and Biliary Lecithin Synthesis " "with each increment in dietary choline, biliary lecithin as well as cholesterol secretion rates were significantly increased. "

A blood test for Homocysteine can indicate your vitimin status for choline, B6, folate, B12 and cardiovascular inflammation.

Edited by Wheatwacked
typos
45 minutes ago, Wheatwacked said:

That's what fermented foods are for, the lactobacillus (probiotic) supplies us with lactose. 

Lactose is the sugar/carbohydrate in dairy.  I think you mean LactAse, the enzyme that breaks down LactOse in this quote.

Lactobacillus does not produce LactAse for us to use.  Lactobacillus break down lactose for their own use.  

The result of eating fermented pickles is that there is an increase in the lactobacillus population in the intestines.  Lactobacillus are one of the good bacteria that get kicked out when SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) occurs.  SIBO can and does occur in Celiac Disease.  

trents Grand Master
4 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Yes, it's that high.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1810502/

Lactose Intolerance is where the villi in the small intestine are damaged and cannot make Lactase, the enzyme that digests the sugar in dairy, Lactose.

The protein in dairy, Casein, can stimulate the autoimmune response just like gluten.  Casein and gluten both can cross link proteins that stimulate antibody production (antibodies to transglutaminase are used to diagnose Celiac, those tTg IgA blood tests).  

Dairy products often have microbial transglutaminase added for texture.  Microbial transglutaminase cross links proteins just like gluten and casein do, triggering the autoimmune response.  Microbial transglutaminase acts the same as tissue transglutaminase which our bodies produce.  

P.S.  Just wanted to add, some people are genetically programmed to stop producing LactAse in adulthood and have lactose intolerance forever.

Others with lactose intolerance can consume dairy after their villi grow back and can produce LactAse again.

Others, like me, will always react to Casein as well as gluten.  We can have lactose intolerance if our villi are damaged and cannot produce lactase, as well as a reaction to Casein.  

I don't know. When I read that whole article I see things like this:

"Our finding that, in a fraction of coeliac patients, CM protein challenge may induce an inflammatory reaction of the same magnitude, as did gluten challenge, may also suggest an innate as well as adaptive immune response to CM, and casein in particular. However, lack of increased serum antibodies to casein in our casein-sensitive coeliac patients may suggest that casein is less prone than gliadin to drive adaptive immunity . . .In conclusion, our data raise the possibility that sensitivity to CM may be a feature in a proportion of patients with celiac disease and may therefore contribute to persistent symptoms in coeliac patients who are on a gluten-free diet . . . However, with the data available we cannot assert that the sensitization to CM protein is a specific pathogenic mechanism operating in a significant proportion of patients with celiac disease."

And it was also a very small sample size - 20 people.

@trents,

Investigation into cow's milk protein and specifically Celiac Disease seem lacking, but cow's milk protein and other autoimmune diseases have been studied and there is a connection...

Google this...

Cow's milk protein "autoimmune" diseases.  PubMed

Wheatwacked Veteran
4 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

That's what fermented foods are for, the lactobacillus (probiotic) supplies us with lactose. 

Sorry Typo, I meant supples us with lactAse.  They make LactAse for themselves but we enjoy the benefits in a symbiotic relation.

"Humans started to drink mammal’s milk 11,000 years ago. Nowadays, cow, goat and sheep milks account for about 87% of the world milk production. The high incidence of allergies to cow’s milk components and autoimmune diseases is rising in the Western industrialized countries,"

Why not in non industrial countries, and why not for the previous 11,000 years?  These studies never seem to take into account our nutritional deficiencies and extremely high omega 6 to 3 ratio in our diet from processed foods and things like SIBO killing off the good intestinal flora. The controls usually eat gluten so it is no surprise for example to say that high AGA G is normal and is found in "healthy people", who by the way often take NSAIDs for pain.  Pain is not healthy even if the doctors say there is nothing wrong, it is only a normal part of aging in the industrial world. 

They are the silent celiacs.  

Edited by Wheatwacked
trents Grand Master
9 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

@trents,

Investigation into cow's milk protein and specifically Celiac Disease seem lacking, but cow's milk protein and other autoimmune diseases have been studied and there is a connection...

Google this...

Cow's milk protein "autoimmune" diseases.  PubMed

I just think we need to be careful not to make dogmatic statements about things like this based on such limited research. And at times I have been guilty of this myself. I think it's more appropriate to couch things of this nature in terms like, "Some studies indicate . . . may be as high as . . . " Or present the idea in general terms like, "many celiacs react to CMP like they do gluten". 

Edited by trents