This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I overexaggerating or is it normal?

Dora77

knitty kitty Grand Master

I found this article very interesting, especially section 5.2 in which milk and wheat are discussed as environmental triggers in Celiac Disease.

A Potential Link between Environmental Triggers and Autoimmunity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945069/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dora77 Rookie

@trents hey i got one other question regarding the cashier job, do you think there could be air floating around where I am? Its a big supermarket, I will only work once per week in the weekends. Could there be some airborn flour from people who bought flour?

I think the cashier's job in the supermarket would be better than the fast food restaurant job.  

You can always keep an M-95 mask in your pocket to use if you see someone purchasing sacks of flour in the grocery store.  

The airborne gluten would be much higher in a restaurant where cooking makes gluten particles airborne.  Stay clear of the bakery if the grocery store has one for the same reason. 

Best wishes!

Dora77 Rookie
7 minutes ago, knitty kitty said:

I think the cashier's job in the supermarket would be better than the fast food restaurant job.  

You can always keep an M-95 mask in your pocket to use if you see someone purchasing sacks of flour in the grocery store.  

The airborne gluten would be much higher in a restaurant where cooking makes gluten particles airborne.  Stay clear of the bakery if the grocery store has one for the same reason. 

Best wishes!

Theres a bakery, but its a big supermarket so the bakery is avoidable.
It just scares me to think theres flour in the air while I work as a cashier, but then again this would mean everytime I go buy grocery from a store I get glutened. (which isnt the case I believe as not all celiacs wear masks while purchasing grocery).

Do you think flour spreading out from its packages is avoidable if I scan them gently?

Yes, I do.  Handled carefully, the bags of flour should not be a problem.  

trents Grand Master

I agree with knitty kitty.

RMJ Mentor

I also agree.  I would add, be sure to wash your hands at the end of a shift, or before eating if you have a break and a snack.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

mydumbjunk
    Newest Member
    mydumbjunk
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• HelenL
      Many thanks to you both, really helpful 
    • Wheatwacked
    • Wheatwacked
      Take the diagnosis and run.  In the worst case you can stop eating gluten free after say a six month trial.  Some, like recovering alcoholics never get over the craving.  Resistance is not futile.  Some wait as much as ten years to finally get the diagnosis.  Be sure to monitor your diet for vitamins and minerals.  During recovery you need way more than the minimum to rebuild.
    • Wheatwacked
      Malabsorption is a potential complication of bariatric surgery.  Is one your docs monitering vitamin D and other vitamins and mineral? Malabsorption due to the surgery and now adding the malabsorption from Celiac Disease?  Nutrition advice? One hears stories; "You've got Celiac Disease, don't eat gluten.  Have a nice day". Gluten Free stops the ongoing assault, but you need to also work on the deficiencies.  Can't heal without giving your body the tools it needs.  I like your new doctor, he is telling you what you need to hear, not what you want.  Maybe you'll even get to like him. A lot of the mistrust of aspirin, I think was the marketing campaign of Tylanol.  "Nine out of ten hospitals choose..." Try disolving your aspirin in bicarbonate, or cut an Alka Seltzer Original (aspirin with bicarbonate) down to your required dose.  It is disolved so spends no time burning on the stomach floor and the bicarb temporatily nutralizes the stomach HCl.
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @RedPandi! I don't know that I'd make too much out of the variation in your reaction to different gluten-containing foods. It could be due to many things including the amount of gluten in different sources, how full or empty your gut is at the time of consumption, the buffering effects of other ingredients on the rate of digestion/absorption and variations in your metabolism at the specific time of consumption. Also, there are different strains of wheat which seem to make a significant difference in how people react to the gluten in foods they are used in. For instance, on this forum we have gotten more than a few anecdotal reports of celiacs traveling to foreign countries and finding they are able to eat items in those countries made from wheat without issue. And more than a few report they can eat sour dough wheat bread without problems. But I do want to make sure you are following the most recent protocols for the gluten challenge since older protocols are still out there on the web and also being propagated by some medical professionals. The current protocols call for the daily consumption of 10g of gluten or more for at least two weeks before getting tested. 10g is about the amount found in 4-6 slices of bread. To be safe, I would go for 4 weeks. You don't want to waste the torture experience.