This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

High IgA Normal TT IGA

haley630

haley630 Newbie

Went to the GI yesterday. I have been having a weird burping issue for years. Ever since I had my little boy 5 years ago. I call it the silent burp because it stops in my throat if that makes sense. Other people if they are close to me can hear it and it drives my boyfriend crazy. It's all the time. My PCP told me it was anxiety like 4 years ago. I've had no other issues until about 6 months ago but it's been so bad the last few weeks. Severe bloating. Terrible gas. Feeling so nauseas. This was the only test result that was abnormal. TT IgA was within normal range. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

haley630 Newbie

Sorry forgot to put IgA. Normal range was 40-350. Mine is 960.

Scott Adams Grand Master

It's too bad they didn't do a full celiac disease panel that included DGP-IgA and DGP-IgG (Deamidated Gliadin Peptide) tests.

This article might be helpful. It breaks down each type of test, and what a positive results means in terms of the probability that you might have celiac disease. 

Approximately 10x more people have non-celiac gluten sensitivity than have celiac disease, but there isn’t yet a test for NCGS. If your symptoms go away on a gluten-free diet it would likely signal NCGS.

You may also want to ask your doctor why your total IgA is so high.

trents Grand Master

Well, you with a total IGA score of almost 1000 you certainly aren't IGA deficient which is one thing that can suppress tTG-IGA scores. Some other things are that can suppress tTG-IGA are diabetes, thyroid disease, anemia and having a reduced gluten intake weeks in advance of the antibody test blood draw. But as Scott said, I would go back to your doctor and ask for a more complete celiac antibody panel including DGP-IGA and DGP-IGG.

Wheatwacked Veteran

You are not alone in this. Cant stop burping since having baby!! advice please

Thiamine deficiency can cause gas. Gastrointestinal Beriberi.

You might find these studies interesting.

Anti-Gliadin Antibodies Identify Celiac Patients Overlooked by Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies 

"5 of 26 patients (20%) with biopsy-proven celiac disease during our specified period had a positive AGA IgA or IgG and a negative tTG... The most significant finding in our study was the identification of five patients with biopsy confirmed celiac disease that had negative tTG but positive AGAs."

Thiamine deficiency in pregnancy and lactation: implications and present perspectives

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

BHitz
    Newest Member
    BHitz
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
      Your biopsy results indicate several key findings that are consistent with celiac disease: Partial Villous Atrophy: This means that the villi (small finger-like projections in the small intestine that help absorb nutrients) are partially flattened. This is a common feature of celiac disease. Increased Intraepithelial Lymphocytes: This indicates a higher number of immune cells within the lining of the intestine, which is another hallmark of celiac disease. Crypt Hyperplasia: This refers to the enlargement of the crypts (glandular structures in the lining of the intestine), which is often seen in celiac disease. Loss of Goblet Cells: Goblet cells produce mucus, and their loss can be associated with inflammation and damage to the intestinal lining. Mild Increase in Chronic Inflammation: This indicates ongoing inflammation in the lining of the intestine. No Evidence of Dysplasia or Malignancy: This is a positive finding, indicating that there are no precancerous or cancerous changes in the tissue. The conclusion of “partial villous atrophy compatible with celiac disease” means that these findings are consistent with a diagnosis of celiac disease.
    • Scott Adams
      It looks like the test specific for celiac disease is negative, but your  immunoglobulin A is high. Did they do a total IgA test? This is usually done in case you are naturally low in IgA, which can cause a false negative result with your TTg-IgA test. An immunoglobulin A (IgA) test measures the level of IgA antibodies in your blood, but it isn't specific for celiac disease. IgA is one of the most common types of antibodies in the body and plays a crucial role in the immune system. Doctors may order an IgA test to diagnose problems with the immune system, intestines, and kidneys. It’s also used for kids who have recurrent infections and to check for autoimmune conditions like celiac disease, arthritis, and lupus. IgA antibodies are found in mucous membranes of the lungs, sinuses, stomach, and intestines. They help protect the body by recognizing and getting rid of germs. This article might be helpful. It breaks down each type of test, and what a positive results means in terms of the probability that you might have celiac disease. One test that always needs to be done is the IgA Levels/Deficiency Test (often called "Total IGA") because some people are naturally IGA deficient, and if this is the case, then certain blood tests for celiac disease might be false-negative, and other types of tests need to be done to make an accurate diagnosis. The article includes the "Mayo Clinic Protocol," which is the best overall protocol for results to be ~98% accurate.    
    • Scott Adams
      This article, and the comments below it, may be helpful:    
    • Scott Adams
      I agree with @trents, and this article might be helpful. It breaks down each type of test:    
    • Scott Adams
      If your goal is to get a baseline reading without any outside supplementation in your system, then you could do this, however, I get my levels checked while I am actually supplementing to see where things are. You can have higher B12 levels, as this will nut hurt you, only if the levels are too low will this cause issues.