This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I feel like I'm a conundrum....

zebra1975

zebra1975 Newbie

Hi! I am hoping for a little direction...help in critical thinking...etc.  6 years ago I was diagnosed with celiac, and 10 months (and 5 biopsies) later, I was told I didn't have it.   My GI issues have waxed and waned since and celiac is being considered again.  I have gone gluten free to the celiac level multiple times, reintroduction never causes an increase in symptoms.
I have an IgA deficiency, which never helps. 
With biopsies, my marsh scores have been marsh 2. I have had e-coli, salmonella, citrobacter and cyclospora infections--not sure if they contribute or not. 
My deamidated gliadin score is always negative regardless of whether I'm on or off gluten or not.  Ttg IgG  always been 4-11.  I have the hla dq2 gene.  I have a large family, no one in my family has ever had celiac. 
Because of marsh being only a 2 and not a 3 and because the gliadin is always negative and the ttg igg at most is only weakly positive and even have had a lower score on gluten than off and because I have no family hx of celiac (and I have a large family) my first GI felt I don't have celiac.  Now I'm seeing a different GI and with all the same info, they are saying I do have it since I have IgA deficiency and a marsh score. I feel like they are just saying celiac to be done with me. 

My primary (who of course is not a GI) leans towards me not having it.  

Is there anything you can point me/us to that might help us clarify?  I don't want to needlessly have a dx of celiac....
Would it be reasonable to ask if they would consider eosinophilic duodenitis? Or anything else?  (One course of xifaxan helped--for 30 days.  A year later, no real effect, so--prob not SIBO). 
I know a forum can't  diagnose--just looking for any insight that might help us  figure this out....

Thank you! 

"Zebra"

"Because sometimes when you hear hoofbeats, you SHOULD look out for zebras"....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, Zebra! Here are some things besides celiac disease that can cause villous atrophy:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/villous-atrophy-562583

zebra1975 Newbie
1 minute ago, trents said:

Welcome to the forum, Zebra! Here are some things besides celiac disease that can cause villous atrophy:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/villous-atrophy-562583

Thanks Trent...would you tend be on side celiac or side it prob isn't celiac given my test results? 

trents Grand Master

Because reintroduction of gluten after trialing gluten free eating seems not to aggravate symptoms, I doubt it's celiac. But have you truly been gluten free or just eating lower gluten? There's quite a learning curve involved you know in attaining a truly gluten free state and studies show that most who claim to be eating gluten free actually aren't because they are only accounting for major sources of gluten and not paying attention to the hidden sources or to cross contamination. 

And what does this mean? "I have gone gluten free to the celiac level multiple times"? 

zebra1975 Newbie

Yes--I have been completely gluten free multiple times--when I say "to the celiac level" I mean -- throw out the toaster, cutting boards, don't eat out, bring my own food to my friends houses, obsessively read labels etc..... the longest period was for 10 months -- but even then eating bread and gluten foods didn't bring on symptoms or change my bloodwork or biopsy until at least a couple months later.  Currently, from out of nowhere, I've had 2 wks of feeling great, and have changed nothing in my life that cld acct for feeling great....

Wheatwacked Veteran

Your IGA deficiency will cause false negetives in your blood tests.

It takes a lot of damage to get a Marsh 3.  You are lucky.

11 hours ago, zebra1975 said:

6 years ago I was diagnosed with celiac, and 10 months (and 5 biopsies) later, I was told I didn't have it.

It really doesn't go away.  

Now I'm seeing a different GI and with all the same info, they are saying I do have it since I have IgA deficiency and a marsh score.  I have the hla dq2 gene

They are correct.

I don't want to needlessly have a dx of celiac

Immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency is 10 to 15 times more common in patients with celiac disease (celiac disease) than in healthy subjects.  This itself could be a symptom of Celiac Disease.

This article may answer your question.  Are You Confused About Your Celiac Disease Lab Results? 

Also consider the non classic symptoms that you may be experiencing and blaming on anything else. Allergies, joint/muscle pain can be caused by gluten.  I don't get protein buildup on my contacts since gluten free. I was an alcoholic 30 years and smoke.  Every thing was blamed on that.  But it all went away, sleep apnea, mouthbreather and including the alcoholism itself, when I started GFD at age 63.

What is your blood level 25(OH)D for vitamin D?  If it is high enough, it could be protecting you by keeping your immune system under control.

If you are following a gluten free diet and have symptoms look for vitamin deficiencies as the cause.

Edited by Wheatwacked
Scott Adams Grand Master

"marsh being only a 2 and not a 3" PLUS "ttg igg at most is only weakly positive" = celiac disease. Many celiacs are asymptomatic, so you cannot go by symptoms as a diagnostic criteria in all cases. Your TTg-IgA tests were negative due to your naturally low IgA, so the negative results don't mean anything other than IgA tests won't work with you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zebra1975 Newbie
2 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

"marsh being only a 2 and not a 3" PLUS "ttg igg at most is only weakly positive" = celiac disease. Many celiacs are asymptomatic, so you cannot go by symptoms as a diagnostic criteria in all cases. You TTg-IgA tests were negative due to your naturally low IgA, so they don't mean anything.

I do know that any test using iga is pointless; they don't do them--they only do the igg based tests. 

Deamidated gliandin abs igg has never been positive or even close. Marsh has other explanations per tge first GI that saw me and decided that I did not have celiac after all....so with only a marsh 2 and not a marsh 3 and the ttg igg at its highest ever only being labeled "weakly positive" which can be considered normal for some people--he stated that number should be significantly higher to really say celiac -- so it's all confusing. 

I dont have additional symptoms that someone else was asking about. 

trents Grand Master

It is also possible that because you have been alternating between being gluten free and not gluten free, the damage to your small bowel villi was less than it might have been had you not been gluten free for extended periods of time. But again, there are other possible causes for villi damage besides celiac disease.

I would also inject a corrective here to what others have said about IGA deficiency. IGA deficiency does not guarantee that IGA celiac antibody scores will be negative, it simply increases the likelihood that they will be negative, particularly in those cases where the scores wouldn't have been high anyway or were borderline. In other words, it lowers the scores and pushes them toward the negative end.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Weak positive is still a positive test. 

This article might be helpful. It breaks down each type of test, and what a positive results means in terms of the probability that you might have celiac disease. Using biopsy results only it does not require Marsh 3 damage to make a diagnosis--a diagnosis can be made with Marsh 2 level damage, especially if you have even a weak positive blood test for celiac disease.

Per this article:

The sensitivity of the tTG-IgG blood test is generally high, ranging from 85% to 98%. This means that the test can accurately detect celiac disease in a significant percentage of people who have the condition.

The specificity of the tTG-IgG blood test is also high, typically around 90% to 98%. This indicates that the test can effectively rule out celiac disease in individuals who do not have the condition.