This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Giving up grains entirely

V.Beth

V.Beth Newbie

I was diagnosed after forty years of misdiagnosis about 15 years ago. 
In the last 10 years I’ve found I really can’t tolerate rice,corn, quinoa, millet or anything bordering on a grain without joint inflammation and brain fog (same symptoms as with celiac).

I nearly died from celiac, with iron infusions monthly, B12 shots, I had premature babies with badly formed placentas and lost a child, I had advanced osteoporosis at 42, a diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer’s at 48.

im not likely to try reintroducing any grains at this point, but I’d like to know how damaging these other grains are to intestines?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

The vast majority of people with celiac disease can eat the grains you mentioned, unless those grains happen to be cross-contaminated with wheat, however, some celiacs report not getting better until they eliminate all grains, and/or other foods such as milk/dairy, oats, eggs, etc.

This article may be helpful:

trents Grand Master

Grains are high in plant defense chemicals known as lectins. Lectins are not well-tolerated by many in the celiac community.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Yes, and we've done some articles on this which could be helpful:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

wandap
    Newest Member
    wandap
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Tracey Thomas
      Hi, so I go back to dermatologist to get my stitches out and find out biopsies results. So now they are saying it’s a type of hives and there thinking it’s coming from my B12 that I started 6 weeks ago. Which was around this time I got terrible rash all over top part of body now it’s on my face neck and some in scalp hairline. So they told me to stop the b12 for 2 weeks take antibiotics and Zyrtec 3 times a day. I just don’t know what to think. Now get this I was low in B12 that s why I was told to start taking them. So  got the natures valley gummies B12 for adults. Anyone ever had this problem 
    • Wormsy22
      Hello. I am new to this but keep coming back to this site looking for information..so I just signed up after seeing the post discussing "shaking inside".  I have been really struggling to figure out what is wrong ... same old story as what everyone on here says...been to every doctor...clean blood labs...etc. I did a TTG test but I didn't know what I was doing (and neither did my doctor apparently) as now I'm realizing it likely isn't valid as it was only about 3 weeks after a full 9 week "no grain" diet...and after going back to gluten it was much lighter than before the no grain diet. Anyway...I tried to go "no grain" to see if it would help with some general inflammation (knees, hands and like the start of this thread...so off balance "walking sideways" kinda vibes).  I did not notice tremendous improvement so I added wheat/grain back into my diet...and after about 3 weeks I started getting bad headaches, my hands/feet/face started tingling...and a very very unsettling "vibration" feeling inside my head started.  It is now going through my whole body.  It is a very odd sensation ... and pretty scary actually.  But I've now had tons of blood tests (all clean)...an MRI on my brain (clean)...and a EMG Nerve Conduction test (clean).  So...apparently I'm in great shape but I have terrible headaches, tingling/numb hands/feet/face...and "internal vibrations" that make me think I'm shaking so hard in the bed I"m going to wake my wife.   Here is the kicker..I have zero gastrointestinal issues.  None.  I've never had any.  Maybe some light acid reflux from time to time but overall, I've had a steel tank stomach.   I'm out of doctors to try.  Running out of tests (and money).  I've been back to gluten free for about 3 weeks with no improvement.  And worry if I go too long then I can't blood test properly.... I'm out of gas with this.  And really have a hard time believing all these random symptoms could be gluten?    Anybody in this same crazy position?  Any information or thoughts are much appreciated.
    • Scott Adams
      Yes, and we've done some articles on this which could be helpful:    
    • trents
      Grains are high in plant defense chemicals known as lectins. Lectins are not well-tolerated by many in the celiac community.
    • Scott Adams
      A quick look at their website and Provitalize claims to be gluten-free, so I wonder if you are getting gluten or some other food that you have an intolerance to in your diet? https://thebbco.com/products/provitalize Shortly after my celiac disease diagnosis I kept a food diary on an Excel spreadsheet (you could use Google Sheets) to track what I ate, and what my reactions were, if any. This allowed me to identify foods that caused me IBS-like symptoms, and in my case I had to eliminate chicken eggs, dairy, tomatoes, and corn, at least for a while (I was able to add them back to my diet after being gluten-free a few years, once my villi healed). To begin an elimination diet, it makes sense to start with the top most common food allergens, as identified by regulatory agencies like the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) and health organizations like the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), and eliminate them one at a time for 2-3 weeks, then add the item back and record any symptoms or issues you might have. It might make sense to start this process in this order: Milk Eggs Peanuts Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts) Soy Fish Shellfish (such as shrimp, crab, lobster) Sesame seeds Mustard