This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could it be? Next steps?

CeeBee1807

CeeBee1807 Newbie

Hi all, 

I have been experiencing a whole host of symptoms over the last year or so, with numerous trips to the doctor and i'm not really any further forward. Yesterday I was having a conversation with someone and they mentioned Celiac disease. I spent a while researching and I feel like this could possibly be behind whats going on but i'm not sure. 

My main symptoms were heartburn and chest pain, so the doctors have been focussed on these, which is fairly well managed with PPI's and H2 blockers but not resolved, so i've been put forward for a gastroscopy. 

My other symptoms include bloating, nausea, tingling in feet and hands, anxiety, greasy/pale stools and slight weight loss - although I think this is down to me being cautious about what I eat.  I had a number of blood tests done and these have shown low folate levels and also raised liver enzymes - which looking at it could be attributed?! I also appear to have become somewhat lactose intolerant. 

My nan does have Celiac disease.

Now my main question is, 1, could this be Celiac disease or am I clutching at getting a resolution finally? and 2, Should I be asking my doctor for a blood test, or do I just wait until my gastroscopy? I'm not sure if they will look for that or not? and i'm not sure how long it will take ( I've waited 18 weeks for a tel appointment with the gastric team to tell me I need a gastroscopy). 

Thank you 🙏

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, @CeeBee1807!

Essentially all of the symptoms you list are classic celiac disease symptoms. By the way, what eventually led to my own celiac diagnosis was elevated liver enzymes.

Judging by some of the terms you employ (gastroscopy, nan) and the protracted wait times for scheduling procedures within your healthcare system, I'm guessing you live in the UK. If so, you might find it interesting to know that in the UK, doctors will often grant an official diagnosis of celiac disease based on high celiac antibody blood test scores alone. The figure I've heard for that is 10x the normal level. So, it is possible that if you got celiac blood testing done and got high positive scores you could forego the gastroscopy/biopsy altogether.

Having said that, please realize that you need to be consuming generous amounts of gluten for weeks ahead of any kind of celiac testing, whether it's blood antibody testing or the gastroscopy/biopsy in order for the testing to be valid. By generous amounts of gluten I mean at least 10g daily which is about the amount found in 4-6 slices of bread.

So, yes, my suggestion would be to schedule celiac blood antibody testing now if you can get that done relatively soon and don't skimp on the gluten. Make sure you request a total IGA test in addition to the ttg-IGA test. That is important. If you are IGA deficient, it may create a false negative in the tTG-IGA test. The total IGA test determines whether or not you are IGA deficient.

CeeBee1807 Newbie

Hi Trent. 

Thank you for the welcome and your response. 

That is interesting regarding the elevated liver enzymes, my GP said they had no idea why they may be increased and recommended another blood test in 4 months to see if they were still raised and if so they would look to investigate further. 

I am indeed in the UK, so that is positive news and may hopefully speed up the process if it is indeed celiac disease. I’m obviously keen to cut gluten out as soon as possible so if it can be based on the blood test alone that could save me another few months of suffering! 

I will definitely get on to my GP and see if they will schedule the tests for me 🤞

As much as I would like it not to be, I’m also hoping that I may have finally found out the cause of the last year of misery.

Thanks again

CeeBee  

trents Grand Master

CeeBee, you might find this interesting and even share it with your doctors: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7868701/

I hope you aren't insulted by this comment, but I have gotten the definite impression from following many postings on this forum that your healthcare system there in the UK is rather inflexible when it comes to ordering diagnostic testing and the patients seem to have little room for input. In part at least, this may be due to the system being overly stressed. When checking for celiac disease, many doctors in the UK will only order the TTG-IGA blood antibody test. Ideally, a more complete celiac antibody panel would be ordered which would include:

Total IGA

TTG-IGA

DGP-IGA

TTG-IGG

DGP-IGG

At bare minimum, at least the first two should be ordered. Please consider talking to your physician about this.