This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate
  1. Scott Adams

Scott Adams

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

TikaS
    Newest Member
    TikaS
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
    • Mari
      Hi Edene - I usually feel hungry after eating a healthy meal. I also eat some food that has protein and fats or oils assnacks and I don't gain weight by eating extra food. If you are worried that you are not eating enough protein you could take a good look at your fingernails. Malnutrition often causes fingernails to break, crack or be too flexible. They may have prominent ridges either side to side or up and down. This was how my fingernails were when I was malnourished. What keeps me from going to sleep easily is usually some intestinal disturbance that I have not noticed. Sometimes it is because I need to drink more water so I drink water until I get. Sleepy. Sometimes I have very faint intestinal spasms. For this I gently but firmly press down on my abdomen and see if I feel any mild cramps pr spasms. If I do feel something with my fingers or a place that is sore I gently massage that area until the cramp relaxes and allows the intestinal contents to flow on. I learned this from 2 nurses years ago and it has been very useful. I don't have the references but I have seen several articles about this online.   You might want to look up the ileo-cecal valve which can get stuck open or closed. This valve controls the passage of the intestinal contents to be released from the small intestine into the large intestine. Shortly after we eat a meal this valve normally opens to allow the new food we just ate to replace the food we ate in the previous meal to pass on into the large intestine.    Hope this helps!  
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @Chris Tonelli! Has she been officially diagnosed with celiac disease? When gluten containing grains are removed from the diet, so is a major source of vitamin and mineral content. Gluten-free flours are not required to be enriched with vitamins and minerals by the FDA as are mainline flours. Your granddaughter should be on some serious vitamin and mineral supplementation, more than just a multivitamin product. Especially important in this situation would be D3, calcium and magnesium. Phosphorous is also important to bone and dental health so she be making sure she is eating foods high in phosphorus. Seeds are a good source of phosphorus but so are many other common foods. Make sure all vitamin and mineral supplements are gluten free as wheat starch can be used as filler or a texturing agent in these kind of products.
    • trents
      You are more than welcome. Blessings on your work in this area and thank you for watching out for those of us with gluten disorders.
    • Chris Tonelli
      My 13 year old granddaughter has aggressive decay  on her anterior teeth. She is on a strict glutin free diet for about one year. Can it be related  to Celiac disease?