This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat hay

Celiac comments

Celiac comments Rookie

It is fall feeding time and feeding 6 bales of wheat hay a day. Now I have eyelid rash and other rashes. It is hot and dry, so easy for hay dust to get in the air. Especially if a cow grabs a flake and shakes it by me. And we are feeding up the last of leftover hay from last year which has some mouse damage. I think I am going to need someone else to feed the wheat hay, at least until it rains. Anyone else have problems with handling wheat hay? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Probo
    Newest Member
    Probo
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• RMJ
      Some certified gluten free foods are made on shared equipment.  presumably they have excellent cleaning procedures that have been tested.  So safety for celiacs is really going to vary from one manufacturer to another,
    • trents
      As Scott pointed out, there are too many variables to be able to give a black and white answer to your question. Another variable I would mention is the huge range in sensitivity to small amounts of gluten exposure that is found in the celiac community. What will trigger a reaction in one celiac may not in another. One more variable is the amount of gluten that will find its way into a food product from cross contamination in any given production run. It likely will not be the same each time.
    • Scott Adams
      Welcome to the forum. This would be a personal choice that you would need to make. I eat many different products that don't necessarily have "gluten-free" on their label, for example potato chips, salsa, tortilla chips, etc, while other people won't eat such products. If "gluten-free" is on the label, and it is made in a facility that also processes wheat, then technically it is supposed to be gluten-free, however, there is a possibility of contamination if the manufacturer doesn't do proper cleaning or handling of ingredients. 
    • Richwhitelady
      I keep seeing people post on social media that it's ok for celiacs to eat gluten-free food that's made on shared equipment. Early in my diagnosis I was told otherwise. Is it really safe for us to eat gluten-free food made on shared equipment? I'd like to hear from an expert if possible.
    • Celiac comments
      It is fall feeding time and feeding 6 bales of wheat hay a day. Now I have eyelid rash and other rashes. It is hot and dry, so easy for hay dust to get in the air. Especially if a cow grabs a flake and shakes it by me. And we are feeding up the last of leftover hay from last year which has some mouse damage. I think I am going to need someone else to feed the wheat hay, at least until it rains. Anyone else have problems with handling wheat hay?