This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Our Content
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Unusual high levels

Nielskii

Nielskii Newbie

Hi all! I hope you guys are doing well. A few weeks ago I started feeling a bit odd in the stomach with some minor cramps here and there. I decided to get my blood tested and I got a score of 573 on the tTG-IgA test! I get that some people have asymptomatic celiac disease but this seems very odd. Is there something I should about this? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Do you know the reference range for your test? It can be different depending on the lab that processed the test.

In the Europe the new protocol for making a celiac disease diagnosis in children is if their tTg-IgA (tissue transglutaminase IgA) levels are 10 times or above the positive level for celiac disease.

According to the latest research, if the blood test results are at certain high levels that range between 5-10 times the reference range for a positive celiac disease diagnosis, it may not be necessary to confirm the results using an endoscopy/biopsy:

There are other things that may cause elevated tTg-IgA levels, but in general a reaction to gluten is the culprit:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Scott Adams replied to Nielskii's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Unusual high levels

2. - Scott Adams replied to BadHobit's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Help! I have to eat gluten :(

3. - Nielskii posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Unusual high levels

4. - BadHobit posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Help! I have to eat gluten :(

5. - trents replied to Vickey Matteson's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Celiac diagnosis

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

o2baleaf
    Newest Member
    o2baleaf
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
      Do you know the reference range for your test? It can be different depending on the lab that processed the test. In the Europe the new protocol for making a celiac disease diagnosis in children is if their tTg-IgA (tissue transglutaminase IgA) levels are 10 times or above the positive level for celiac disease. According to the latest research, if the blood test results are at certain high levels that range between 5-10 times the reference range for a positive celiac disease diagnosis, it may not be necessary to confirm the results using an endoscopy/biopsy: Blood Test Alone Can Diagnose Celiac Disease in Most Children and Adults TGA-IgA at or Above Five Times Normal Limit in Kids Indicates Celiac Disease in Nearly All Cases No More Biopsies to Diagnose Celiac Disease in Children! There are other things that may cause elevated tTg-IgA levels, but in general a reaction to gluten is the culprit:    
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through quite a challenging journey, and you're handling it with great resilience! Here are a few things to keep in mind as you move forward: Since you're preparing for a definitive diagnosis, a gluten challenge (reintroducing gluten before testing) is necessary. Typically, it's recommended to consume around 1-2 slices of bread or the equivalent amount of gluten daily for at least 6-8 weeks to ensure accurate test results. However, this can be difficult, especially if you've already experienced severe symptoms. Make sure to consult your doctor for specific guidance on how much gluten you need to consume during this period, as it varies from person to person. It's understandable that the thought of introducing gluten again might be daunting, especially after your previous reaction. If you experience severe symptoms again, communicate with your doctor immediately. Sometimes adjustments can be made if the symptoms are too hard to bear. You’re already living a healthy lifestyle, which is great, and it's commendable that you're so in tune with your body. Surrounding yourself with a supportive community or even joining a local or online celiac group can help you through the challenge period. A confirmed diagnosis can help ensure long-term management and avoid potential complications down the road, so even though it's tough now, it may be worth it for your future health. You’re making the right decision to follow through with testing, and it sounds like you're on the right path. Just remember to go easy on yourself during the gluten challenge, stay in close contact with your doctor, and let us know how things go.
    • Nielskii
      Hi all! I hope you guys are doing well. A few weeks ago I started feeling a bit odd in the stomach with some minor cramps here and there. I decided to get my blood tested and I got a score of 573 on the tTG-IgA test! I get that some people have asymptomatic celiac disease but this seems very odd. Is there something I should about this? 
    • BadHobit
      I have been living as a celiac suspect since last year. Last year, I went to the doctor as a result of my long-lasting and persistent intestinal problems, and the doctor suspected celiac disease. He said cut out gluten for ten days and come back. I went to the doctor a month and a half later because I was completely healed. He did a celiac test (only IgA) and said you only have gluten intolerance, don't eat gluten. I also lived gluten-free for 7 months, did sports, etc. Then, for a moment, I wanted a pastry and decided to try gluten for a month and get tested. That one month passed in vomit, I got hemorrhoids, my skin dried out/almost crumbled, my mouth was filled with sores and I lost weight, it was terrible! And in this horror, I couldn't be patient and immediately ran for the biopsy. In the biopsy, 2 pieces were taken from my stomach and 1 piece from the small intestine. Diagnosis, ulcer and reflux. And I was sent home with a lot of stomach medicine. I immediately quit gluten. After two weeks I no longer needed any medication. Is it reflux? Vomiting? Come on! I know I dance like crazy. During this process, I came across a celiac patient and he suggested that I extend my gluten-free diet as much as possible and have a full blood test. As a result of 5 months of the gluten-free diet, the very high cholesterol that I have had since childhood, which is called genetic, decreased and triglyceride disappeared. My blood is up and I even have B12 vit. I continued to maintain this beautiful healthy state and had a gluten crash in the seventh month. Red, itchy, huge pimples or something like them appeared symmetrically on my elbows. I'm not sure, but it happened the day after I enjoyed sipping a colorful vodka cocktail. Two weeks later, the blisters on my skin faded, but then they began to appear red, and I was itchy again. When I looked at the packaging of a product I consume, I realized that I had had another gluten accident. This time my IgG test came back positive. The doctor said - this is a different doctor but - start gluten, I have to refer you to gastroenterology. I didn't plan to do that. I live a very healthy lifestyle, but more than one doctor has said that we need to be able to diagnose celiac disease definitively to intervene in possible future diseases. Yeah! I'm prepared to make the sacrifice, so let's make it work. I'm small size, so should I stick to one slice of bread daily for six weeks?     
    • trents
      @Vickey Matteson, cristiana expanded on the point I was trying to make. The term "symptom" has a broader meaning than just physical discomfort. You may feel fine but if a medical disorder is causing lab values to fall out of norm, such as iron or liver enzymes or vitamin D3 or B12 levels or bone/tooth demineralization or if you have developed a secondary medical disorder that is statistically connected to celiac disease such as diabetes or Hashimoto's thyroid . . . those fall into the category of symptoms as well. Celiacs who fomerly put themselves into the category of "silent" will often look back and realize they did have symptoms all along, but not such as they had expected because they were only look for classic GI symptoms.